Last faction - Sanctuary

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Jac
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Jac » 03 May 2011, 15:54

Slayer of Cliffracers wrote:India may have a rich array of creatures of it's own, problem is that nobody knows about them in western culture much and more importantly there isn't a group of elite swordsmen in Indian society equal to the samarai.
The funny thing is that you think you really know about Japan? Do you really? Come to think of it, why does everyone and their mothers in the West seem to know about Japanese culture, but it takes a professor or sinologist to know about Chinese and Korean culture?

And you can't even spell "samurai"...

Slayer of Cliffracers
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Slayer of Cliffracers » 03 May 2011, 17:12

Jac wrote: The funny thing is that you think you really know about Japan? Do you really? Come to think of it, why does everyone and their mothers in the West seem to know about Japanese culture, but it takes a professor or sinologist to know about Chinese and Korean culture?

And you can't even spell "samurai"...
It doesn't really matter, I'm just explaining why they used Japanese culture as a base for the naga faction rather than the more mythologically logical India.

What matters is that this is the popular perception and this is what they are working on.
Working on tracking the locations of Heroes IV battles. Stage 6 of campaign map finished, all initial Heroes IV campaigns mapped.

http://www.celestialheavens.com/forums/ ... hp?t=11973

Mlai
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Mlai » 04 May 2011, 16:53

Yup, our Nagas are different. They're Tau Samurai!

And this is the game all the H5 bashers are proclaiming as the next best HOMM storywise, before they even had a chance to play it.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 05 May 2011, 12:25

Mlai wrote:And this is the game all the H5 bashers are proclaiming as the next best HOMM storywise, before they even had a chance to play it.
You must be confused, the only claims i saw was that the story sounds like it has more potential the H5's... and that's totally different (and it's not like H5's main problem was the cliches, the horrible GRIFFIN ETERNAL and all the other stuff where what was mind-numbing).
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Jac
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Jac » 05 May 2011, 16:02

ThunderTitan wrote:
Mlai wrote:And this is the game all the H5 bashers are proclaiming as the next best HOMM storywise, before they even had a chance to play it.
You must be confused, the only claims i saw was that the story sounds like it has more potential the H5's... and that's totally different (and it's not like H5's main problem was the cliches, the horrible GRIFFIN ETERNAL and all the other stuff where what was mind-numbing).
To be honest I find the over-the-top Japan influence just as mind-numbing if not more. Seriously, how many people were actually able to see India, Thai or China when they released this for the public to see? We have a Naga in Samurai armour, that's India (Naga) and Japan (Samurai). Not surprisingly people only saw the Japanese side (Samurai). Naga? Who cares about Naga? It's a samarai!!11

Want to know what's even more mind-numbing? Using Japanese names of Chinese mythological creatures and passing them off as Japanese in origin.

Real funny. I reeeeally hope that this whole Japan nonsense is just the surface of things... maybe all of that India, Thai and China are just beneath all that fan-service.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 05 May 2011, 16:54

Well it's kinda hard to see the Indian Naga when it looks nothing like anything the actual indian myth described it...
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Jac
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Jac » 05 May 2011, 17:30

You're right, it's kind of hard to see anything resembling anything else other than Japan. They have the overrated katana, samurai-looking armour and Japanese names. Their units all have Japanese names. Their island has a Japanese name.

They might as well just change the lotus to a red sun.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 05 May 2011, 18:37

I miss the HoMM III & IV naga unit. Of the plethora of female units they chose to skip that one. :|
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 06 May 2011, 09:42

Metathron wrote:I miss the HoMM III & IV naga unit. Of the plethora of female units they chose to skip that one. :|
So they can rub it in our faces...

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 06 May 2011, 17:42

I think this sea Naga concept is unoriginal as hell. They can say whatever they want and put any amout of ridiculous pseudo-Japanese/Chinese style elements in the Sanctuary, but the concept is still a blatant rip-off of the WarCraft Naga.

Why couldn't they use Serpent People from MM VIII as a concept for Naga faction, for insance? Image It would have surely been more original. Besides, Marzhin is gotta find a better way to "make references to the original universe", than just put crap like "Crag Hack helmet" in =|
Make you strong places to dwell and practice the evil of your arts. Build great monuments to stand through the ages and remind your followers of the task with which you have been charged. Use these halls of iniquity to perpetrate your schemes against the infestation that has taken the fields and lakes of this land from you, their rightful masters. Never forget the hatred that must finally overcome and consume mankind. Dwell in your dungeons and brood. - Sheltem the Dark

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 13 May 2011, 13:23

Since the discussion from here on is about stuff other than the Sanctuary, I split it into a new topic. here
Matthew Charlap -353 HoMM map reviews and counting...

Slayer of Cliffracers
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Slayer of Cliffracers » 13 May 2011, 13:26

Corlagon wrote:There is no problem if you don't know the entire history of the series, how many times can I express that. It's just that it's no fun when you make up "insights" to fill those gaps in and then argue and argue with everyone who tries to explain if and where your understanding is flawed... I mean, why bother :P
When have I ever done such a thing? I have always revised and even changed my understandings of Ashan Lore in accordance with any newly aquired information. Indeed everything I write is basically based upon what all the information I have available at the moment means when taken together.
<snip>
Since this post was made while I split the topic, I'm leaving the first paragraph intact. The full post was also made in the new thread. Thank you, Slayer of Cliffracers, for copying the original post to the other thread. --QQD
Working on tracking the locations of Heroes IV battles. Stage 6 of campaign map finished, all initial Heroes IV campaigns mapped.

http://www.celestialheavens.com/forums/ ... hp?t=11973

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 13 May 2011, 14:04

Qurqirish Dragon wrote:Since the discussion from here on is about stuff other than the Sanctuary, I split it into a new topic. here
Thank goodness, I was beginning to think splitting was not an option with this forum software! However, this is not the only thread that would benefit from being split.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

parcaleste
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby parcaleste » 13 May 2011, 15:44

Great! Now let's continue with 55 pages about the split of the topic. :D

One of the things that pisses me about this faction so far is the interlaced, if I can say, names of the creatures *other language* and Japanese for the upgraded units. It is really something that kills big part of the credibility of the race for me.

Some of the others graphics are killing me as well. Is it needful to point 'em?

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 22 May 2011, 20:54

XEL II wrote:but the concept is still a blatant rip-off of the WarCraft Naga.
Yeah, they totally invented Naga's in water... sorry, but unlike the WH Elves this is too generic to count.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”