Disappointment with Heroes 5

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Archaven
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Disappointment with Heroes 5

Unread postby Archaven » 14 Mar 2006, 06:01

I HOPE Nival will not touch the Might & Magic title. They have in turn ruined the title!. That is the sole reason why i will not be buying Heroes of Might & Magic 5 apart from having Starforce.

One of my biggest shocked that i've received is that it's not a Heroes game anymore. They've ruined the Might & Magic world with stupid and nonsensical creature/heroes. Ever seen griffins wearing armor? Ever seen hydras that looks like dinosaurs having helmet?! Ever seen demons looks like Aliens? Ever seen Angels wearing nonsensical big armor claws yielding a very unholy big futuristic sword?

This is not the Heroes that i've anticipated and waited for. I knew that flames from fanboy would be inevitable and i knew i might be the ONLY one odd dedicated Might & Magic fans that felt something wrong about the new Heroes of Might & Magic 5.

To those who love it, enjoys it. I hope i'm permitted to voice my opinion on what i felt wrong of what Nival DID to the Might & Magic world.

Thus far it seems Dark Messiah stays true far more than Heroes did. If there will ever be a Might & Magic RPG, NIVAL please stay off it!. You have already turned Heroes to Heroes of Etherlords 5.

A disappointed Might & Magic fan.

Wildbear
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Wildbear » 14 Mar 2006, 06:08

It's weird to notice that even though you and I almost never agreed about how the game should be, we now dislike it just as much for the same reasons.
Image Spiritu Insanum

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: Disappointment with Heroes 5

Unread postby Metathron » 14 Mar 2006, 13:35

Archaven wrote: One of my biggest shocked that i've received is that it's not a Heroes game anymore. They've ruined the Might & Magic world with stupid and nonsensical creature/heroes. Ever seen griffins wearing armor? Ever seen hydras that looks like dinosaurs having helmet?! Ever seen demons looks like Aliens? Ever seen Angels wearing nonsensical big armor claws yielding a very unholy big futuristic sword?
Ditto. A lot of creatures have lost their distinct Heroes feel, and many of the graphics are rife with tacky details. I'll wait for the demo to be released until I pronounce my final judgement, however.

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Re: Disappointment with Heroes 5

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 14 Mar 2006, 14:49

Archaven wrote: One of my biggest shocked that i've received is that it's not a Heroes game anymore. They've ruined the Might & Magic world with stupid and nonsensical creature/heroes. Ever seen griffins wearing armor?
Ever seen Griffins move through three different towns? NWC couldn't really decide what to do with them, either.
Archaven wrote: Ever seen hydras that looks like dinosaurs having helmet?!
Yes, the one thing Hydras absolutely should not do is look like a big, multi-headed lizard. Yeesh. What's wrong with their keepers decorating them a bit?
Archaven wrote: Ever seen demons looks like Aliens?
Yes. That is the very definition of the Demons in MMVI, MMVII, and MMVIII. They are aliens. Please, if you're going to claim that this is destroying the Might and Magic feel, brush up on the entirety of Might and Magic. Otherwise, perhaps it would be well to say Heroes so we understand the difference.
Archaven wrote: Ever seen Angels wearing nonsensical big armor claws yielding a very unholy big futuristic sword?
Let's see . . . ridiculous armor with oversize swords? The Crusader in Heroes II comes to mind. And the Archangel's sword in Heroes III wasn't spectacular, either.
Archaven wrote: This is not the Heroes that i've anticipated and waited for. I knew that flames from fanboy would be inevitable and i knew i might be the ONLY one odd dedicated Might & Magic fans that felt something wrong about the new Heroes of Might & Magic 5.
Oh, undoubtedly. Several people feel there are things wrong with Heroes 5. I kind of miss flaggable water wheels and windmills, myself. But I don't feel that the complaints you've listed here are quite up to scratch.
Archaven wrote: To those who love it, enjoys it. I hope i'm permitted to voice my opinion on what i felt wrong of what Nival DID to the Might & Magic world.
Assuredly you have the right to say it, but permit to disagree.
Archaven wrote: Heroes to Heroes of Etherlords 5.
Well, at least you didn't say Heroes III, which is by far the more common complaint. :)
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 14 Mar 2006, 14:57

People whine and complain that H5 is too similar to earlier versions of the game and isn't bold enough with defining its own formula.

And then they whine and complain that H5 isn't exactly like earlier versions of the game and doesn't conform to every little precedent already set.

*sigh*
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 14 Mar 2006, 15:33

@Corribus:
You do realize that they are not the same people. Also gameplay and creature design are two completly different things.

And that's not a Griphon in armour, it a Digimon. :tongue:
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 14 Mar 2006, 15:39

ThunderTitan wrote:@Corribus:
You do realize that they are not the same people.
Does it matter? It just goes to show you that you can't please everyone... or anyone.
Also gameplay and creature design are two completly different things.
So? And anyway people have in the past complained that certain (creature) design elements of H5 were too similar to those in H3.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 14 Mar 2006, 15:44

Corribus wrote: So? And anyway people have in the past complained that certain (creature) design elements of H5 were too similar to those in H3.
Really? So what, where they pissed coz the Hydra had many heads? The Angel wings? The Cyclops one eye?
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 14 Mar 2006, 15:48

ThunderTitan wrote: where they pissed coz the Hydra had many heads? The Angel wings? The Cyclops one eye?
Probably. Statistically, 90% of people are idiots.

now where did I hear that before??

RK
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby RK » 14 Mar 2006, 15:51

and then u still buy the game.
shh. :hoo:

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 14 Mar 2006, 16:11

Corribus wrote: Probably. Statistically, 90% of people are idiots.
And 9% are just stupid.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 14 Mar 2006, 18:57

The H5 hydras would be abominable if they weren't so absurd. A lot of other creatures are grossly overdone as well.

davidtaylorsmith
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby davidtaylorsmith » 14 Mar 2006, 19:49

Question - why is it that nearly everytime a game comes out, the vast majority of people who are "Fans", the general public, goes out and buys it and enjoys it to one degree or another - but there is always always ALWAYS forums somewhere on which some people seem to always have something critical to say?

What is the purpose of this forum? Is it meant to in some way help the average consumer? Are most of your negative comments meant to help all of us enjoy the gaming experience? Is it to help the video game creators make better games?

Because news flash people - it ain't working. Joe Average doesn't care that you don't like armor on griffins or think mages shouldn't wear that colour or orcs would never eat with that cutlery. For goodness sake let it go!! I bought and played HOMM 1-4. They were all fun. I managed to enjoy them without the "help" of your comments on whether they were "balanced" or "true to HOMM roots" or whatever other inane complaints I now see you guys made about them. HOMM 4 was fun. It was different than HOMM 3 (which was also fun), but hey, that's good or else what would be the point of buying a new game?

And I plan on enjoying HOMM 5 too, provided SF doesn't nuke my computer and rape and pillage my neighbourhood.

The more I read these posts, the more I start to realize they are not about helping people or even enjoying the video game experience. They are simply about trying to see whose the smartest.

Either I've totally missed the point or most of you have...
"Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died." -Steven Wright

http://s2.bitefight.org/c.php?uid=39177

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 14 Mar 2006, 19:55

Metathron wrote:The H5 hydras would be abominable if they weren't so absurd. A lot of other creatures are grossly overdone as well.
Speaking of absurd & abominable … what happened to the noble Minotaur? Suddenly he's a grossly overweight, stupid slave. We want our beloved Minotaurs back like the ones from Heroes I, II, III & even IV.
davidtaylorsmith wrote:Question - why is it that nearly everytime a game comes out, the vast majority of people who are "Fans", the general public, goes out and buys it and enjoys it to one degree or another - but there is always always ALWAYS forums somewhere on which some people seem to always have something critical to say?
Well, I'm a fan who isn't going to buy the game simply because of the inclusion of StarForce. Now there's something to be critical about! :tsdown:
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 14 Mar 2006, 20:01

davidtaylorsmith wrote: The more I read these posts, the more I start to realize they are not about helping people or even enjoying the video game experience. They are simply about trying to see whose the smartest.
No, u misunderstand. My post where always about how to make the game enjoyable to ME. I don't really like "Joe Average's" so called tastes.

EDIT: And the forums are for everyone, so if Joe Average wants to voice his opinion he can go right ahead.

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 14 Mar 2006, 20:06

Ya know most of the people here are the hardcore of the hardcore, ofcourse they complain, nothing is good for them besides old games with great gameplay and which looks like something dragged out from a barbarians unbrushed mouth :D

Ah hehe, jokes aside. People gets NEVER satisfied, since no human being can be perfect neither can their computer games be perfect. We have to live with it, H5 will be a success but howl ong will it last only time will tell....

davidtaylorsmith
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby davidtaylorsmith » 14 Mar 2006, 20:11

Ya - I guess it is just a bit overwhelming for me right now (first day on here) to see people so upset and ranting about these games. Like dude, relax. Either HOMM is way too far up on your priority list, or it isn't and I don't want to see how upset you get when something really important happens!!

Enjoy the game, if it isn't great don't worry - they always make more!! :)

If you really want the industry to change - start working in it and make a game that you like (if this is all about what you want). I will be the first one on the forum to chop it down lol!!
"Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died." -Steven Wright

http://s2.bitefight.org/c.php?uid=39177

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 14 Mar 2006, 20:19

Orfinn wrote:… H5 will be a success but howl ong will it last only time will tell....
A game is only a success if its fans love it long after the first initial months. Look at Heroes I, II, III & yes, even Heroes IV. Most of the "hardcore" fans still greatly love & still play these classics regularly.

As for myself, I still play Heroes III quite regularly, even though it is like what, six or seven years old? I also still play Heroes IV regularly, although it is only three or four years old. I even pull out my Heroes I & II once in a while because I love them.

I don't care if the graphics aren't state-of-the-art, these classic games will always have fans and be considered successful, not because of fancy graphics, but because they were FUN to play for hours & hours & days & days & months & months & years & years!

I kinda doubt that Heroes V will have that kind of longevity or loyalty of the fanbase … due to its crass overdone graphics … at the expense of other more durable elements of the game.
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 14 Mar 2006, 20:20

As i've said elsewhere: I'd rather complain about the stuff i don't like on the off chance that maybe it gets changed, that rave on about the good stuff that will/might get ruined by the existance of the bad stuff.

I reserve the praise for after the game is out. If it diserves any that is.

innokenti
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby innokenti » 14 Mar 2006, 21:31

Yeah, I was really quite disappointed with the graphical style that Nival decided to go with. Considering the fact that their artists are indeed talented and have produced very good design ideas (Silent Storm, Evil Islands) their worst was in Etherlords. And because that was in a way similar to Heroes I think they decided to skimp on some work. More likely, they may have been made to do it to save time.

Still, it's only stylistic one might say but it really does jar when you look at it all the time and remember the previous games in the series. Not a deal-clincher on buying it I suppose, but makes one sad.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”