Starcraft 2!

Because we play other games too.
Best Deals, MoM, Fanstratics
Infiltrator
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Infiltrator » 10 Mar 2008, 14:15

It usually comes a bit later, but with much higher quality and with a commentator.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 10 Mar 2008, 16:44

We wants the high quality version and we wants it now!

Seems pretty silly that so many sites showed this before the official one. :rolleyes:

Infiltrator
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Infiltrator » 10 Mar 2008, 17:12

The official site has just been updated, so far there's Lore/Hydra/Muta.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 10 Mar 2008, 17:45

I seem to have a knack for viewing the site just before it's updated.

But good, the Zerg are finally here. Part of them at least.

Can't say I'm particularly psyched about the design of the hydralisk (do they even make a sound when they shoot?), nor the mutalisk for that matter.

Infiltrator
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Infiltrator » 10 Mar 2008, 17:49

Well, the game is in alpha stage right now, I would bet that they are not just using some placeholder sounds, but projectiles and animations as well (I remember wc3 gargoyles shooting things similar to fur balls in the wc3 beta).

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 10 Mar 2008, 20:02

Metathron wrote: Seems pretty silly that so many sites showed this before the official one. :rolleyes:
What are, an intertubes n00b?! That's almost always the case... heck, sometimes the official sites don't even get updated at all (Dawn of War: DC anyone)

And i like the Hydralisk... which is weird coz i disliked most of the units in the beginning... maybe i just gotten used to SC2's graphics.
And the more solid looking projectiles are better imo... but is it just me or are they only shown when they fire on ground targets, but not air ones?

And teh Ultralisk CAN BURROW NOW?!?!?!?!!!!!!!!!!! 8| Awesome...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Infiltrator
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Infiltrator » 11 Mar 2008, 13:07

Savior playing zerg against protoss AI, 20 min vid:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/user ... 87369.html

Infiltrator
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Infiltrator » 12 Mar 2008, 00:27

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 12 Mar 2008, 12:31

SCLegacy had 2 videos... did they just break it in 2 or is there another video i should d/l?
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Infiltrator
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Infiltrator » 12 Mar 2008, 12:50

They had the cinematic intro and 9 min gameplay both in low quality, the one above is the 9 min gameplay in HD.

Here's a higher quality of the cinematic:

http://www.gamespot.com/video/939643/61 ... -trailer-3

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 12 Mar 2008, 13:24

I'm talking about the ones posted today...

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 12 Mar 2008, 14:51

..here are interesting comments
The game has changed more than you think. The Zerg's defense for example is no longer through defensive buildings like the sunken colony but is handled by a single unit called the Queen, which is strong but can't move beyond a certain limit from the base. There is also the new IK system that allows units to walk up and down cliffs, the more powerful map editor, the protoss' ability to teleport units anywhere on pylon power which will change fighting/playing as the protoss a lot, the ability of units to change from air to ground (the Viking), etc. These changes are enough, I was actually scared that they might change Starcraft too much and it wouldn't be Starcraft. Be a little more optimistic. Its been ten years waiting for this.
--jestamarl
HaroAndTorii said: looking at this.....blizzard didn't need ten years to come out with SCII, they're using the same sounds and pretty much the same graphics, of course i'm guessing it's still in early development so it's all good i suppose

----------------------
its not like they spent the whole ten years making SC2. i mean, they did have a few games between.
i think their would be all sorts of complaining if the game made any drastic changes. would everybody prefer a chang-up from micromanaging to small unit tactics (WC2 toWCIII)? you never know i guess, but the SC formula isnt broken so why mess with it too much?
as for the graphics not being top of the line spectacular. im sure Blizzard wants everybody to be able to play (buy) the game
--gunvalkyrie
Same graphics...? Let's see, SC2 - full 3D models. SC - 2D models. Nope. False. As for sounds, they prob are going to re-use a lot of sounds but also create a lot of new ones. And the 10 year wait...who needs a sequel when millions of people still play the original and exp?
--Modsoul
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Infiltrator
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Infiltrator » 12 Mar 2008, 14:59

ThunderTitan wrote:I'm talking about the ones posted today...
Nothing new there, just old stuff in better quality.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 12 Mar 2008, 18:01

I knew they weren't new, but HD. The question was what the 2nd HD video was and where i could d/l it... once i got home (net works better) i saw it was the intro withouot having to d/l.

and frankly the part made on the engine didn't really impress me, it's not bad, but to say it's good enough to replace actual FMV's is ludicrous...

And the Queen isn't the only base defense Zerg have... she can build a Sunken Cluster(?) that attacks both G&A, and 2 other defensive structures.

Infiltrator
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Infiltrator » 12 Mar 2008, 19:34

From what I hear she can't make structures other then the creep tumor which is like the colony from sc1 cept it can't be upgraded. The other abilities she possesses atm are that teleport anywhere in creep with a 15 sec cd, lay eggs, heal building, make structures launch sort of like zerg bees, and lastly toxic creep which makes normal creep do damage over time to enemies for the duration. Also she can only move so far away from a hive.

Yea most of that intro was made in the game engine, but it's just used for the presentation I bet.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 13 Mar 2008, 11:41

Queen can build three types of buildings: a Sunken Cluster (fires high damage attack but has low HP), a Creep Tumor (extends area of creep), and Shriekers (detectors that extend the range of all Clusters within a certain radius to the entire radius covered by the Shrieker).
http://www.sc2armory.com/

And Karune made plenty of comments about how they want to replace FMV with engine rendered scenes... or at least use them to make more videos (which wouldn't be a bad thing as long as they don't lower the # of FMVs because of them).

Infiltrator
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Infiltrator » 13 Mar 2008, 15:32

Hmm, based on that, I reckon the glowing bees are the Shriekers.. and sunken cluster, I don't think I've seen a vid of that.

I bet they are gonna have in game scenes before/after every mission just like in WC3, but I hope that like in SC they have at least a few FMVs throughout each campaign and of course at their pro/epilogues.

okrane
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby okrane » 13 Mar 2008, 15:33

Imo, it's too early to comment on any of the Starcraft Development.

Infiltrator
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Infiltrator » 13 Mar 2008, 17:24

LOL @ the reactor, now you get a 10 queue? This would be useful... for my GRANDMA. Jesus who uses a queue of 5 let alone frikin' 10? I guess double production was OP but at least they could have come up with something halfway decent for the reactor..

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 13 Mar 2008, 21:31

Actually i think that the Shriekers are the eye in the creep that was present in a screenshot... as the fireflies seem to attack on their own...

@okrane

we're only commenting on what's been done so far, fully aware that it can easily change...

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”