Multiplayer for MMMerge [beta 14.01.2024/4]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Re: Multiplayer for MMMerge [alpha 07.07.2023]

Unread postby Rodril » 07 Jul 2023, 19:55

Hello, updated version to 07.07.2023.
I'm unable to list all changes at the moment. Main thing that happened - mod is updated to latest version of mmextension. Why is this important?
1. Some cases of game crash on startup have been eliminated.
2. Lua module is moved out of MMExtension dll to lua51.dll, what allows to use lua extensions, such as "effil", which add concurrent multithreading.
There were some compatibility issues, I hope, I've fixed them all, but in case you'll notice something - post it, I'll fix it asap.

samasiassa
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby samasiassa » 11 Jul 2023, 12:15

crashing on startup after last update, i use windows 7 (no mmmextention log, just windows error)
no such error for my friends, they use windows 10

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 11 Jul 2023, 14:08

samasiassa wrote: 11 Jul 2023, 12:15 crashing on startup after last update, i use windows 7 (no mmmextention log, just windows error)
1. Try to reapply multiplayer mod files and check if issue is gone;
2. If not, put this file: https://github.com/GrayFace/MMExtension ... /lua51.dll into your "ExeMods/MMExtension/" folder, replacing existing one, and tell me if issue is gone or not.

samasiassa
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby samasiassa » 11 Jul 2023, 18:34

Rodril wrote: 11 Jul 2023, 14:08
samasiassa wrote: 11 Jul 2023, 12:15 crashing on startup after last update, i use windows 7 (no mmmextention log, just windows error)
1. Try to reapply multiplayer mod files and check if issue is gone;
2. If not, put this file: https://github.com/GrayFace/MMExtension ... /lua51.dll into your "ExeMods/MMExtension/" folder, replacing existing one, and tell me if issue is gone or not.
no, the error still occurs.

i wonder if this is windows 7 issue or something with my system... can anyone else with win7 confirm this issue?

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 11 Jul 2023, 20:03

samasiassa wrote: 11 Jul 2023, 18:34 i wonder if this is windows 7 issue or something with my system... can anyone else with win7 confirm this issue?
I've reached PC with win7 installed and yes, crash occurs, but once i've replaced lua51.dll with this one, error has gone. Are you sure, you correctly followed step 2 - replaced lua51.lua within your game folder (.../ExeMods/MMExtension/lua51.dll) with one from the link?
I'm having problems with this library, it does randomly crash the game on win10 and win11 machines, where i were able to test it, but i did not test it on win7. After i've compiled dll myself, it solved issue with win10 and win11 for me, and resulted dll i'm sharing along with multiplayer files. After your report i've checked win7 and turns out new dll gives crash on startup, but old one worked fine. If you sure, you replaced it right, it means neither old nor new library works in certains case, and it adds confusion on the subject even more, that's why i'm clarifying.

UPD. If you'll have a chance try this dll aswell (it is original luajit, without open resty additions, used in latest mmextension): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UpkwrD ... sp=sharing

samasiassa
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby samasiassa » 12 Jul 2023, 06:49

Rodril wrote: 11 Jul 2023, 20:03
samasiassa wrote: 11 Jul 2023, 18:34 i wonder if this is windows 7 issue or something with my system... can anyone else with win7 confirm this issue?
Are you sure, you correctly followed step 2 - replaced lua51.lua within your game folder (.../ExeMods/MMExtension/lua51.dll) with one from the link?

UPD. If you'll have a chance try this dll aswell (it is original luajit, without open resty additions, used in latest mmextension): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UpkwrD ... sp=sharing
yes, i tried to replace that dll - the issue still occurs. and with original luajit too

i also tried complete reinstallment today just in case and tested all 3 dlls - same result. i even tried to remove lua51.dll - app tells you that "it can't launch without that dll", then launches and crashes

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 12 Jul 2023, 07:47

samasiassa wrote: 12 Jul 2023, 06:49 i also tried complete reinstallment today just in case and tested all 3 dlls - same result. i even tried to remove lua51.dll - app tells you that "it can't launch without that dll", then launches and crashes
Only quick solution i have at the moment - is to rollback to old dlls: delete ExeMods folder and replace it with one from this archive. You do not need to rollback multiplayer mod, it's scripts are compatible. I did not encounter any incompatibilities with new core scripts, but tested it only briefly.

samasiassa
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby samasiassa » 12 Jul 2023, 09:44

Rodril wrote: 12 Jul 2023, 07:47
samasiassa wrote: 12 Jul 2023, 06:49 i also tried complete reinstallment today just in case and tested all 3 dlls - same result. i even tried to remove lua51.dll - app tells you that "it can't launch without that dll", then launches and crashes
Only quick solution i have at the moment - is to rollback to old dlls: delete ExeMods folder and replace it with one from this archive. You do not need to rollback multiplayer mod, it's scripts are compatible. I did not encounter any incompatibilities with new core scripts, but tested it only briefly.
yes, game launches now, thank you

we will test this variant with my friends today (previously we just rollback to alpha 28.06.2023/3)

Mercs
Peasant
Peasant

Re: Multiplayer for MMMerge [alpha 07.07.2023/2]

Unread postby Mercs » 14 Jul 2023, 10:41

Oh, another thing I always forget to report:

Maybe look into how time works in multiplayer. First of all, I think player travelling to a different location at least used to (I havent tested it in a long time) pretty much end up in a different timeline (like some players stay in Ironfist on 22 dec, another player travel to sorpigal and ends on 27 dec, travels back and it's 22 dec again). And it also strangely feels as if less time passes overall than it should. Like, I look at the date on my save file when I did a little bit of single player, and many more months have passed compared to multiplayer, but factually I've played way more multiplayer compared to single player, it's like time is slower or smth. I wish I could give solid feedback on this, but it is another "I feel like" kind of report.

Octavia
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: Multiplayer for MMMerge [alpha 07.07.2023/2]

Unread postby Octavia » 14 Jul 2023, 18:17

Hi! Wasn't here for a while and wanted to say - thanks for the awesome mod and experience!
It was supercool to play and I'm waiting for the next session which will sadly be not very soon.

Meanwhile, reading lua code, that's quite interesting.
Maybe we can support you by donut or something.

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Re: Multiplayer for MMMerge [alpha 15.07.2023]

Unread postby Rodril » 15 Jul 2023, 22:57

Hello, updating version to 15.07.2023.
-- Fixed crash caused by NPC mercenaries generation on map load;
-- Fixed bug, that zeroed all travel time between outdoor maps in multiplayer mode;
-- If host loads saved game, while client is on death screen, map won't be reloaded twice for client anymore;
-- Fixed bug, that sometimes caused monsters to wander aimlessly, even while being attacked by player.
-- Fixed bug, that prevented special items and extra artifacts bonuses to be calculated on joining multiplayer game.
There are also couple of minor fixes of Town Portal processing in multiplayer mode.

Reminder: win7 compatibility have not been fixed yet, so you'll have to manually remove ExeMods folder from your game folder and replace it with old dlls.

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Re: Multiplayer for MMMerge [alpha 15.07.2023]

Unread postby Rodril » 23 Jul 2023, 18:31

Hello, updating version to 23.07.2023, I will call it beta since now, though it is rather symbolic change. Beta status will be removed once i'll complete entire game myself, being happy of how it works (doubt, it'll happen soon).

Only important change in this update is support of raw saved map data transfer (blv and ddm internal formats of MM engine). This allows remote players to randomly hop in and out without breaking saved map data synchronization: in case if you play part of the game solo, and want to continue it in multiplayer mode further, now it will correctly synchronize map changes, that were not saved in multiplayer format.

Also, I've finally added somewhat able to be called multiplayer mechanics description: https://gitlab.com/letr.rod/mmmerge/-/r ... line=false

There were no reports lately, though i see activity in relay server console. Some play sessions were rather short, i hope it was not caused by game breaking behaivor of multiplayer scripts, if so, report it, please.

Krogul
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: Multiplayer for MMMerge [beta 23.07.2023]

Unread postby Krogul » 25 Jul 2023, 08:26

Just wanted to say thanks for the multiplayer addon you are creating. The experience so far is fantastic, I have already spent hours playing it with my cousin, really enjoyed it.

samasiassa
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby samasiassa » 26 Jul 2023, 13:33

windows 7 (probably, everything fine with my win 10 pals) issue again after last update :D

the error appears after pressing "drop gold" button

Code: Select all

D:\GOG Games\Might and Magic 8 single\Scripts/Core/evt.lua:545: number expected, got nil

stack traceback:
	[C]: in function 'error'
	...OG Games\Might and Magic 8 single\Scripts/Core/RSMem.lua:122: in function 'assertnum'
	...OG Games\Might and Magic 8 single\Scripts/Core/RSMem.lua:262: in function 'call'
	D:\GOG Games\Might and Magic 8 single\Scripts/Core/evt.lua:545: in function 'Question'
	...t and Magic 8 single\Scripts\Structs\After\Functions.lua:111: in function 'Question'
	...gic 8 single\Scripts\Modules\Multiplayer\UI/GoldDrop.lua:6: in function 'f'
	...and Magic 8 single\Scripts\Modules\Multiplayer\Utils.lua:482: in function 'v'
	...mes\Might and Magic 8 single\Scripts/Core/EventsList.lua:101: in function <...mes\Might and Magic 8 single\Scripts/Core/EventsList.lua:96>

arguments of 'call':
	t = nil
	... = 0
	... = 1611118200
	... = 35
	... = 5859748
	... = 4

local variables of 'call':
	ist = false

upvalues of 'call':
	type = (function: builtin#3)
	assertnum = (function: 0x0126d330)
	rawcall = (function: 0x011c1cc0)
	IsBadCodePtr = 1978674276
	error = (function: 0x011dc808)
	format = (function: builtin#91)
	retconv = (function: 0x0126d738)
	unpack = (function: builtin#15)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 26 Jul 2023, 23:19

samasiassa wrote: 26 Jul 2023, 13:33 windows 7 (probably, everything fine with my win 10 pals) issue again after last update :D
I've added compatibility fix for old dlls, reapply multiplayer files: https://gitlab.com/letr.rod/mmmerge/-/a ... player.zip
Remember to preserve "ExeMods" folder, you only need "Scripts" from this update.

samasiassa
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby samasiassa » 27 Jul 2023, 09:18

Rodril wrote: 26 Jul 2023, 23:19
samasiassa wrote: 26 Jul 2023, 13:33 windows 7 (probably, everything fine with my win 10 pals) issue again after last update :D
I've added compatibility fix for old dlls, reapply multiplayer files: https://gitlab.com/letr.rod/mmmerge/-/a ... player.zip
Remember to preserve "ExeMods" folder, you only need "Scripts" from this update.
issue fixed, thank you

Malekitsu
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Malekitsu » 04 Aug 2023, 15:42

hey! A technical question:
Theoretically if I rent a server, is it possible to do MMMerge Online where player just login and can see other players?

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 05 Aug 2023, 00:53

Malekitsu wrote: 04 Aug 2023, 15:42 hey! A technical question:
Theoretically if I rent a server, is it possible to do MMMerge Online where player just login and can see other players?
Hello. Yes. Kind of.
In current state of the mod, you can boot the game on the server, open multiplayer menu, set it to "Internet" mode, enable connection listening and leave it like that. I did not test it, but all clients, who know host's session code, should be able to join (considering, server has open public address).
I don't have high expectations of multiplayer engine to scale well with higher amount of players, neither i could test it in a such way, tho. Probably it would require optimisations.
There were small discussion on first pages of this topic about MMO-like possibilities of the game, summary is: multiplayer implementation lacks cheat-proof, and game itself was not designed to provide content for players more than fit in original party.

samasiassa
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby samasiassa » 05 Aug 2023, 17:28

a proposal:
make player dropped gold in multiplayer as some custom item (not default gold), so mercenaries won't affect it (for now you can duplicate or lose money that way)

Malekitsu
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Malekitsu » 06 Aug 2023, 15:28

Rodril wrote: 05 Aug 2023, 00:53
Malekitsu wrote: 04 Aug 2023, 15:42 hey! A technical question:
Hello. Yes. Kind of.
In current state of the mod, you can boot the game on the server, open multiplayer menu, set it to "Internet" mode, enable connection listening and leave it like that. I did not test it, but all clients, who know host's session code, should be able to join (considering, server has open public address).
I don't have high expectations of multiplayer engine to scale well with higher amount of players, neither i could test it in a such way, tho. Probably it would require optimisations.
There were small discussion on first pages of this topic about MMO-like possibilities of the game, summary is: multiplayer implementation lacks cheat-proof, and game itself was not designed to provide content for players more than fit in original party.
Me and my team are working on doing an huge work on MMMerge.
Along with many other mechanics change we plan on adding end game content, activities and ARPG-like loot, with multiple enchants, set items etc...

As for the anti-cheat I know it could be an issue, but we could work on finding a solution.
Once we have a fully working system I'll test it out and eventually try renting a server ;)

Return to “Might and Magic”