Might & Magic 6 mod: MAW; Monsters, Arts & Wonders [30/7/23 update]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Gray Magic Expert
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 44
Joined: 18 Mar 2023

Re: Might & Magic 6 mod: MAW; Monsters, Arts & Wonders [30/7/23 update]

Unread postby Gray Magic Expert » 06 Oct 2023, 04:50

Well, in my case it says 2 things whenever the slow spell impacts the target:
1) first error report

Code: Select all

..._patch MAW UNM Might and Magic 6\Scripts/Core/events.lua:230: array index (-10399.049270073) out of bounds [0, 142]

stack traceback:
	[C]: in function 'error'
	...d_patch MAW UNM Might and Magic 6\Scripts/Core/RSMem.lua:1423: in function '__index'
	..._patch MAW UNM Might and Magic 6\Scripts/Core/events.lua:230: in function 'GetMonster'
	..._patch MAW UNM Might and Magic 6\Scripts/Core/events.lua:2262: in function 'f'
	...d_patch MAW UNM Might and Magic 6\Scripts/Core/RSMem.lua:2209: in function <...d_patch MAW UNM Might and Magic 6\Scripts/Core/RSMem.lua:2207>
	[C]: in function 'pcall'
	..._patch MAW UNM Might and Magic 6\Scripts/Core/Common.lua:203: in function 'pcall2'
	...d_patch MAW UNM Might and Magic 6\Scripts/Core/RSMem.lua:1773: in function <...d_patch MAW UNM Might and Magic 6\Scripts/Core/RSMem.lua:1770>
	[C]: in function 'call'
	...d_patch MAW UNM Might and Magic 6\Scripts/Core/RSMem.lua:656: in function 'CalcTakenDamage'
	...ight and Magic 6\Scripts\General\maw-spell-overrides.lua:2180: in function 'v'
	...ch MAW UNM Might and Magic 6\Scripts/Core/EventsList.lua:66: in function 'docall'
	...ch MAW UNM Might and Magic 6\Scripts/Core/EventsList.lua:126: in function 'call'
	...ight and Magic 6\Scripts\General\maw-spell-overrides.lua:1969: in function 'f'
	...d_patch MAW UNM Might and Magic 6\Scripts/Core/RSMem.lua:2019: in function <...d_patch MAW UNM Might and Magic 6\Scripts/Core/RSMem.lua:2017>
	[C]: in function 'pcall'
	..._patch MAW UNM Might and Magic 6\Scripts/Core/Common.lua:203: in function 'pcall2'
	...d_patch MAW UNM Might and Magic 6\Scripts/Core/RSMem.lua:1773: in function <...d_patch MAW UNM Might and Magic 6\Scripts/Core/RSMem.lua:1770>

arguments of 'GetMonster':
	p = 1

local variables of 'GetMonster':
	i = -10399.049270073
	(*temporary) = -10399.049270073
	(*temporary) = (table: 0x1163d238)
	(*temporary) = 8.6482972666217e-292
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
2nd error report

Code: Select all

..._patch MAW UNM Might and Magic 6\Scripts/Core/events.lua:230: array index (-10399.049270073) out of bounds [0, 142]

stack traceback:
	[C]: in function 'error'
	...d_patch MAW UNM Might and Magic 6\Scripts/Core/RSMem.lua:1423: in function '__index'
	..._patch MAW UNM Might and Magic 6\Scripts/Core/events.lua:230: in function 'GetMonster'
	..._patch MAW UNM Might and Magic 6\Scripts/Core/events.lua:2262: in function 'f'
	...d_patch MAW UNM Might and Magic 6\Scripts/Core/RSMem.lua:2209: in function <...d_patch MAW UNM Might and Magic 6\Scripts/Core/RSMem.lua:2207>
	[C]: in function 'pcall'
	..._patch MAW UNM Might and Magic 6\Scripts/Core/Common.lua:203: in function 'pcall2'
	...d_patch MAW UNM Might and Magic 6\Scripts/Core/RSMem.lua:1773: in function <...d_patch MAW UNM Might and Magic 6\Scripts/Core/RSMem.lua:1770>
	[C]: in function 'call'
	...d_patch MAW UNM Might and Magic 6\Scripts/Core/RSMem.lua:656: in function 'CalcTakenDamage'
	...ight and Magic 6\Scripts\General\maw-spell-overrides.lua:2180: in function 'v'
	...ch MAW UNM Might and Magic 6\Scripts/Core/EventsList.lua:66: in function 'docall'
	...ch MAW UNM Might and Magic 6\Scripts/Core/EventsList.lua:126: in function 'call'
	...ight and Magic 6\Scripts\General\maw-spell-overrides.lua:1969: in function 'f'
	...d_patch MAW UNM Might and Magic 6\Scripts/Core/RSMem.lua:2019: in function <...d_patch MAW UNM Might and Magic 6\Scripts/Core/RSMem.lua:2017>
	[C]: in function 'pcall'
	..._patch MAW UNM Might and Magic 6\Scripts/Core/Common.lua:203: in function 'pcall2'
	...d_patch MAW UNM Might and Magic 6\Scripts/Core/RSMem.lua:1773: in function <...d_patch MAW UNM Might and Magic 6\Scripts/Core/RSMem.lua:1770>

arguments of 'GetMonster':
	p = 1

local variables of 'GetMonster':
	i = -10399.049270073
	(*temporary) = -10399.049270073
	(*temporary) = (table: 0x1163d238)
	(*temporary) = 8.6482972666217e-292
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
——————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————
...ight and Magic 6\Scripts\General\maw-spell-overrides.lua:2181: attempt to compare boolean with number

stack traceback:
	...ight and Magic 6\Scripts\General\maw-spell-overrides.lua:2181: in function 'v'
	...ch MAW UNM Might and Magic 6\Scripts/Core/EventsList.lua:66: in function 'docall'
	...ch MAW UNM Might and Magic 6\Scripts/Core/EventsList.lua:126: in function 'call'
	...ight and Magic 6\Scripts\General\maw-spell-overrides.lua:1969: in function 'f'
	...d_patch MAW UNM Might and Magic 6\Scripts/Core/RSMem.lua:2019: in function <...d_patch MAW UNM Might and Magic 6\Scripts/Core/RSMem.lua:2017>
	[C]: in function 'pcall'
	..._patch MAW UNM Might and Magic 6\Scripts/Core/Common.lua:203: in function 'pcall2'
	...d_patch MAW UNM Might and Magic 6\Scripts/Core/RSMem.lua:1773: in function <...d_patch MAW UNM Might and Magic 6\Scripts/Core/RSMem.lua:1770>

arguments of 'v':
	t = (table: 0x03fd8628)

local variables of 'v':
	index = 3
	skill = 1
	(*temporary) = 507
	(*temporary) = false
	(*temporary) = true
	(*temporary) = nil
	(*temporary) = "boolean"
	(*temporary) = false
	(*temporary) = 12
	(*temporary) = (function: 0x02fd0b68)
	(*temporary) = "attempt to compare boolean with number"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
After those two error messages, the game crashes to the desktop. What might be causisng this?

Gray Magic Expert
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 44
Joined: 18 Mar 2023

Re: Might & Magic 6 mod: MAW; Monsters, Arts & Wonders [30/7/23 update]

Unread postby Gray Magic Expert » 21 Oct 2023, 13:11

Game progress report.
Party of Blood Knight, Rogue, Rogue, Seraph. Level 49. True Nightmare is On.

Biggest achievments: Gorgon Sisters (Steno and Eryale) in Temple of the Moon; Dragon Cave in Mire of the Damned; Warlord's Fortress.
Smaller achievments: Dragon Tower drakes; a gulf between Southern and Northern ports in Eel Infested Waters; Druid and Gargoyle plains in Silver Cove; Corlagon Estate; Baa Temple in Ironfist; Etric's tomb ( all those with bosses included).

Item rework:
- tier 3 weapons like Thunder Maces, Crusader Swords or Ornate Tridents feel pathetic - their attack bonuses are tiny! Some tier 4 weapons also felt a bit lacking... But other than that, the new loot system is very fun. I even got my first legendary item: an Elven Cloak of +40 armor and +70 mana. Don't know, if it was pre-placed, or generated randomly...

Classes:
1) Seraph - very interesting addition to the party. Trades weapon versatility of the normal paladin for additional defensive bonuses and some sort of party-wide vampirism. The fact that seraphs don't get staves is a genius decision: you don't get to play with a perfect utility class in a single package. You are forced to consider your options carefully, and choose a class wisely.
2) Rogue - I really like them. For the most part, they really feel like utility specialists, and like neither Might, nor Magic characters. That said, after the third promotion their health skyrocketed... I really should compare them with a proper elemntal+might hybrid classes, to see how strong the rogues really are... But still, the energy system and lack of dark magic make them very different to normal archers.
3) Blood knight - Its hard to say how good those guys are compared to normal knights... On one hand, my blood knight delivers insane damage. On the other hand, she also requires an additional source of passive healing (either Mordred dagger, or a full time attention from Seraph, the passive 8% leech is insufficient) to be able to tank like a normal knight can. And she also cannot use both staves and shields... I really should start a party with a normal knight and see, how normal and blood-powered knights compare.

What I plan to do next: I have the following dungeons in mind: Silver Helm Tower (Stronghold is done already); Wolf Lair; Snergle Mines+Caverns. There is also an option of invading Paradise Valley and liberating the town there - my party has options to deal with the titans one by one. It will be very hard, but far from hopeless.

Bugs:
- I still don't know, how to fix Slow spell... Crash reports are in the post above. Maybe the "fix chests" Grayface patch option is to blame somehow? It is off by default, after all.
- Divine Shield and Dodge don't stop damage from elemental attacks in my game. The messages "immune" or "dodged" appear correctly, but the damage is still delivered.
- Negative regeneration from Hades Sword kills negative HP characters through Guardian Angel. Un-Equipping Hades on negative HP character is easy, so this is not a crucial problem. But still, it feels strange.

Small balance concerns:
- Baa clergy in Ironfist, Liches in Etric Tomb and Corlagon Estate, and also spellcasting boss monsters (like the Deacon of the Deep) look like they have too powerful magic attacks.
- 200-skill fireballs on bosses also feel cheap (Flame Dragon Tower Guardian, Wormthrax Witherhide).
- Skeleton lords have too powerful magic attacks for how early they appear in the game.
- Goblin wizard encourages cheating: early game party is unlikely to outheal the damage of multiple fireballs in row. And the goblin wizard likes to spam that spell! This leads to cheap strategies like making the goblin stuck in some kind of scenery, or finding a spot where fireball hits just fail to register.

User avatar
Malekitsu
Pixie
Pixie
Posts: 113
Joined: 25 May 2022

Re: Might & Magic 6 mod: MAW; Monsters, Arts & Wonders [30/7/23 update]

Unread postby Malekitsu » 24 Oct 2023, 08:39

Gray Magic Expert wrote: 21 Oct 2023, 13:11 Game progress report.
Party of Blood Knight, Rogue, Rogue, Seraph. Level 49. True Nightmare is On.

Biggest achievments: Gorgon Sisters (Steno and Eryale) in Temple of the Moon; Dragon Cave in Mire of the Damned; Warlord's Fortress.
Smaller achievments: Dragon Tower drakes; a gulf between Southern and Northern ports in Eel Infested Waters; Druid and Gargoyle plains in Silver Cove; Corlagon Estate; Baa Temple in Ironfist; Etric's tomb ( all those with bosses included).

Item rework:
- tier 3 weapons like Thunder Maces, Crusader Swords or Ornate Tridents feel pathetic - their attack bonuses are tiny! Some tier 4 weapons also felt a bit lacking... But other than that, the new loot system is very fun. I even got my first legendary item: an Elven Cloak of +40 armor and +70 mana. Don't know, if it was pre-placed, or generated randomly...

Classes:
1) Seraph - very interesting addition to the party. Trades weapon versatility of the normal paladin for additional defensive bonuses and some sort of party-wide vampirism. The fact that seraphs don't get staves is a genius decision: you don't get to play with a perfect utility class in a single package. You are forced to consider your options carefully, and choose a class wisely.
2) Rogue - I really like them. For the most part, they really feel like utility specialists, and like neither Might, nor Magic characters. That said, after the third promotion their health skyrocketed... I really should compare them with a proper elemntal+might hybrid classes, to see how strong the rogues really are... But still, the energy system and lack of dark magic make them very different to normal archers.
3) Blood knight - Its hard to say how good those guys are compared to normal knights... On one hand, my blood knight delivers insane damage. On the other hand, she also requires an additional source of passive healing (either Mordred dagger, or a full time attention from Seraph, the passive 8% leech is insufficient) to be able to tank like a normal knight can. And she also cannot use both staves and shields... I really should start a party with a normal knight and see, how normal and blood-powered knights compare.

What I plan to do next: I have the following dungeons in mind: Silver Helm Tower (Stronghold is done already); Wolf Lair; Snergle Mines+Caverns. There is also an option of invading Paradise Valley and liberating the town there - my party has options to deal with the titans one by one. It will be very hard, but far from hopeless.

Bugs:
- I still don't know, how to fix Slow spell... Crash reports are in the post above. Maybe the "fix chests" Grayface patch option is to blame somehow? It is off by default, after all.
- Divine Shield and Dodge don't stop damage from elemental attacks in my game. The messages "immune" or "dodged" appear correctly, but the damage is still delivered.
- Negative regeneration from Hades Sword kills negative HP characters through Guardian Angel. Un-Equipping Hades on negative HP character is easy, so this is not a crucial problem. But still, it feels strange.

Small balance concerns:
- Baa clergy in Ironfist, Liches in Etric Tomb and Corlagon Estate, and also spellcasting boss monsters (like the Deacon of the Deep) look like they have too powerful magic attacks.
- 200-skill fireballs on bosses also feel cheap (Flame Dragon Tower Guardian, Wormthrax Witherhide).
- Skeleton lords have too powerful magic attacks for how early they appear in the game.
- Goblin wizard encourages cheating: early game party is unlikely to outheal the damage of multiple fireballs in row. And the goblin wizard likes to spam that spell! This leads to cheap strategies like making the goblin stuck in some kind of scenery, or finding a spot where fireball hits just fail to register.
Hey! Looks like you are enjoying the party!
It's very offensive oriented with no dedicated healer, so I guess prolonged and ranged fights might be hard :P

Bosses and monsters are hard by design, even if some of them are harder than others, specially bosses.
I had no issues dealing with Goblin Wizard, running back and training made it much easier.
Investing in some shield skills and Body building should help a lot mitigating.

Blood Knight has also life leech when low HP, making it clutch in hard situations. I understand that isn't exactly clear how much is the extra damage.

I will make slow damage to be calculated manually, looks like some MMExtension functions is causing crash.
I fixed in latest update, let me know if you still have the bug.

As for Seraphim, are you getting the "Absorb" message and eventually shield broken?

Gray Magic Expert
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 44
Joined: 18 Mar 2023

Re: Might & Magic 6 mod: MAW; Monsters, Arts & Wonders [30/7/23 update]

Unread postby Gray Magic Expert » 24 Oct 2023, 19:47

Malekitsu wrote: 24 Oct 2023, 08:39 Hey! Looks like you are enjoying the party!
It's very offensive oriented with no dedicated healer, so I guess prolonged and ranged fights might be hard :P

Bosses and monsters are hard by design, even if some of them are harder than others, specially bosses.
I had no issues dealing with Goblin Wizard, running back and training made it much easier.
Investing in some shield skills and Body building should help a lot mitigating.

Blood Knight has also life leech when low HP, making it clutch in hard situations. I understand that isn't exactly clear how much is the extra damage.

I will make slow damage to be calculated manually, looks like some MMExtension functions is causing crash.
I fixed in latest update, let me know if you still have the bug.

As for Seraphim, are you getting the "Absorb" message and eventually shield broken?
Here is the beauty of the party: the seraph is the dedicated healer! I really went all in into meditation - and this allows me to have a lot of sustained healing. Not to mention, in melee seraph can heal without mana issues at all. As for the ranged combat - 3 of the 4 party members get extra damage on bows on top of the normal expert+master bonuses. On level 66, this party can shoot normal titans with ease, and can even engage Noble Titans without hit and-run tactics (Supreme Titans require 2 or 3 assaults - their damage is too insane for 66 level party to tank for long).

Life leech on blood knight - 8% feels too low, at least on Ultra-Nightmare. Maybe this effect should be unaffected by Ultra Nightmare penalty to leech?

Goblin Wizard - really depends on the build and on the party. My 3-healer party had an easy time. But the current party did not. This wouldn't be such a big deal, if not for the unique knowledge barrel that the wizard guards... Maybe this barrel should appear earlier? Right before the wizard lair? After all, a chest and a loot from wizard himself are good enough rewards to fight for.

Powerful monsters: some of them are hard in silly ways... Take Baa Keymasters from Kriegspire, for example. They have master 977 flying fist! This is a complete overkill! You need multiple casts of Resurrection to restore a character hit by such a spell! Good luck, if one of your two healers was the target! Or should every party aim for 3 healers to play comfortably? Demanding 3 healers is too restrictive, I feel...
And even outside the flying fist, Baa Keymaster has a 656-1136 damage attack - an unlucky damage roll + unlucky resit roll can also send an ususpecting lvl 50 character far into negative hitpoints... Both Baa Keymasters live in rooms filled with other powerful monsters - so its very different compared to, say, the Butcher from Etric's Tomb, which can be easily isolated from any other foes. I ended corner camping Keymasters, using real time and bows... I was supposedly properly leveled (level 45) for Kriegspire Baa temple - but engaging them fairly felt like a suicide. And those key guys are not Sulman bonus boss - they are both obligatory.

Slow Fix - I will check new version tomorrow. Maybe I have a wrong version of MMExtensionv too. I need also to double-check that...

Seraphim Shield and Dodge: I don't remember any "Absorb" messages. Only "Immune". The thing is, the shield and dodge completely fail to block elemental attacks. They work normally against physical and pure energy, however. I even had one instance of my assassin dodging fall damage! And seraph can reliably walk through water with divine shield - but any instance of elemental damage is too much, no mater how small the actual damage is.

Gay Lord
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 26
Joined: 28 Nov 2006

Re: Might & Magic 6 mod: MAW; Monsters, Arts & Wonders [30/7/23 update]

Unread postby Gay Lord » 08 Nov 2023, 07:12

Malekitsu wrote: 24 Oct 2023, 08:39.
Hey! This mod looks interesting and it's tempting me to do MM6 yet again, even though I thought I was done forever with it. I have some questions though, if you'll indulge me.

You give a link to be compatible with the chaos conspiracy. I've never played any mods for mm6, so I thought I might try both yours and theirs out at the same time. However, your github link only gives the same install instructions as the non-tcc version. At what point does one install tcc?

Also, which version tcc should be used? Mod db
https://www.moddb.com/games/might-and-magic-6/mods
lists three versions of tcc. the presumably original from 2014, the redone version (tccr) 2021, and the enhanced ultimate final from 2022. Are there still other versions elsewhere?

I read the 678 merge mod, but I don't think that interests me. Are there any other major mods people are playing? The mod db link also lists a minimap correction mod... know anything about that?

Lastly, I read through the list of changes, and many of them, such as adding mana regen and fixing many spells is what sold me on the mod.

1) Are the minor arrow spells changed to 0 mana? I think it would be thematic if the three magic classes couldn't learn bow, but could cast their arrow spells free, shooting endless magic arrows to match the might classes shooting endless physical arrows.

2) Long ago I wanted to mod staves to give mana regen, making them at least somewhat useful while helping out low level casters. I was unable, but then thought about having meditation and body building give regen rings at the start, the way armor and weapon skills give gear at the start. You've added regen to the meditation skill... is there a reason you didn't do this with BB as well? For that matter, I hope staves are a viable option now and/or have more versions than in vanilla.

3) The only change I see for druids is losing shields. I've always loved druids, yet they always seem to suck in every video game they appear. In MM6, they can't learn mirror magic which makes them WAY worse than C or S IMNSHO. MM7 took even more spells away from them.

The log says you weakened mirror magic. Does this make druids stronger? Being second rate to C and S makes them feel like D&D bards... second rate versions of other classes, but no real strength in their own right. I'm not even sure how to boost them... maybe give them chain? Seeing A and P also get access to mirror magic only seems to make D even more the one kid left out. I don't want D as a backup caster, I'd like D as a primary something. As it is I use my own house rules, but I still wish they were stronger.

4) In general, if you add the hp and sp gain for the classes, vanilla had casters getting 5/7/9 while the mights got 4/6/8. In your mod, you've raised A and P to 5/7/9, yet the poor K, the one everybody seems to think is weakest, still has 4/6/8 right? Have you guys thought about raising K up to 5/7/9, or even 6/8/10 due to their lack of magic? What about giving Ks magic resistances, or are Ks much stronger in the mod?

5) Did you decide on a standardized mana ratio for damage or healing? As in, every one point of mana will average X damage, or Y healing?

6) I was thinking of an all D party, but to sample your changes maybe I'll try a KDCS.

7) I'm a purist gamer and abhor cheesing, cheating and exploiting. Does this mod assume we'll be doing that? Does it assume we'll be flying around, drinking the stat wells and visiting the NWC office and solving the obelisks asap? I'm just wondering how much of a "vet" gamer this expects us to be if we plan on playing "legit", and only exploring areas naturally with zero metagaming or foreknowledge.

RawSugar
Peasant
Peasant
Posts: 62
Joined: 29 Apr 2022

Re: Might & Magic 6 mod: MAW; Monsters, Arts & Wonders [30/7/23 update]

Unread postby RawSugar » 08 Nov 2023, 15:31

1) yeah arrow spells are actually the main spell for casters until level ~35 or so
2) staff gives resistance to every partymember, and AC to user, and is very useful
3) druids are strong and indeed the rebalance of school w slight reduction to mirror and sometimes hefty improvements to self and elemental greatly favors druid. His huge manapool easily makes up for the lack of shield - simply give him staff instead
4) a major feature of the mod is making weapon skills useful, in mm6, without armsmaster knight was dead weight, in MAW weapons rival spells in damage output and knight has extra weapon damage vs other classes
5) yeah the ratio is mana cost ^0.7 pr rank
6) good idea:)
7) you're able to clear the game without too much trouble clearing most quests and foregoing all XP farming including the ~20 levels you get from killing all the dragons and titans. People have cleared the game playing solo although i dont recommend doing so ;)
monsters have around double hitpoints and much more damage, you're gonna have to be careful and unless you are high level vs the opponents or very careful you can expect the occasional reload/partywipe. Like the guide says its very much about careful pulling, dont expect to just run into a room with 50 monsters and come out alive and well like you can in vanilla;)

For mod; MAW already makes plenty of changes and using new abilities is fun and gamechanging, i'd suggest just using that, maybe the "nightmare" version which features about a dozen new boss fights. I dont think i'd familiarize myself with both MAW and TCC in one go...if you must i think you install TCC first and then MAW.

Gay Lord
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 26
Joined: 28 Nov 2006

Re: Might & Magic 6 mod: MAW; Monsters, Arts & Wonders [30/7/23 update]

Unread postby Gay Lord » 09 Nov 2023, 03:12

RawSugar wrote: 08 Nov 2023, 15:31.
Thank you so much for your answers!! I appreciate your time and quick response.... it's nice that you're still active in the forums. :hug:

I'll think about doing maw or maw+tcc.

User avatar
raekuul
War Dancer
War Dancer
Posts: 386
Joined: 05 Jul 2019

Re: Might & Magic 6 mod: MAW; Monsters, Arts & Wonders [30/7/23 update]

Unread postby raekuul » 09 Nov 2023, 03:37

Gay Lord wrote: 08 Nov 2023, 07:12You've added regen to the meditation skill... is there a reason you didn't do this with BB as well?
We tried that a long time ago and it was too powerful for what we wanted to achieve.

User avatar
Malekitsu
Pixie
Pixie
Posts: 113
Joined: 25 May 2022

Re: Might & Magic 6 mod: MAW; Monsters, Arts & Wonders [30/7/23 update]

Unread postby Malekitsu » 09 Nov 2023, 17:35

Gay Lord wrote: 08 Nov 2023, 07:12
Malekitsu wrote: 24 Oct 2023, 08:39.
Hey! This mod looks interesting and it's tempting me to do MM6 yet again, even though I thought I was done forever with it. I have some questions though, if you'll indulge me.
Hey there! Hopefully you will have a great time!
I love druids aswell (in fact I'm playing a Druid in Might and Magic merge multiplayer).
In MM6 they are waaay much stronger than before as:
- light and dark are nerfed
- learning multiple schools is cheaper (with the second school costing half, 3rd costing 1/3, all rounded up).
- many schools have been rebalanced to be useful

a 4 druid party could easily work, but make sure to avoid melee fights!
If you want a caster party you could consider picking paladin instead of knight for tanking, but a knight with shield/plate/bow will be very strong aswell.

7) We modified the game so that basically any cheese you do is inteded.
- Some cheesable early game quests are harder to do
- They grant less exp
- Going to late game areas when low level will make loot a bit worse (still very good)
- As projectiles home toward the party fly is no longer too cheesy

oh, and good luck with the dragonsands exploit, I've never seen anyone being able to do that in the mod, you might want to try to check what's going on :P

As for technicalities.
Unfortunately just as Merge, there are multiple versions of TCC and for the end users (myself included) is hard to figure out which one is better.

That said expect the game to be VERY hard, specially if you select the hardest difficulty.
Unlike MM6 Nightmare with True Nightmare settings, you don't have save nor extra strength on monsters, but some packs (noticeably bootleg bay trolls) hit for an unfair amount :P

The link for TCC is this:
https://github.com/Malekitsu/MM6-MAW-TC ... s/main.zip

You might want also to check out new classes once you get used to the mod.

Gay Lord
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 26
Joined: 28 Nov 2006

Re: Might & Magic 6 mod: MAW; Monsters, Arts & Wonders [30/7/23 update]

Unread postby Gay Lord » 10 Nov 2023, 06:33

Malekitsu wrote: 09 Nov 2023, 17:35 Hey there! Hopefully you will have a great time!
Thanks, hope so too!
Malekitsu wrote: 09 Nov 2023, 17:35 In MM6 they are waaay much stronger than before as:
- light and dark are nerfed
- learning multiple schools is cheaper (with the second school costing half, 3rd costing 1/3, all rounded up).
- many schools have been rebalanced to be useful
I think my biggest gripe was lack of access to mirror magic in vanilla, since that just blew all other magics out of the water. Plus, having to only spend points on one skill lets you focus much higher than when you're spreading points around 7 schools, which are also much weaker to boot. Without mirror, Ds in vanilla just couldn't even come close to S or C for power, making the whole class seem niche or for special plays.

If mirror magic is nerfed then it's no longer a huge imbalance to not have it, so perhaps Ds will be better off. Fingers crossed.
Malekitsu wrote: 09 Nov 2023, 17:35 a 4 druid party could easily work, but make sure to avoid melee fights!
If you want a caster party you could consider picking paladin instead of knight for tanking, but a knight with shield/plate/bow will be very strong aswell.
I favor magic classes in games, so wouldn't normally pick K, but I think I'll pick it now to see what changes you've made for it. Any particular reason you recommned P over K?
Malekitsu wrote: 09 Nov 2023, 17:35 oh, and good luck with the dragonsands exploit, I've never seen anyone being able to do that in the mod, you might want to try to check what's going on :P
I see the whole dragonsands area as a cheat as well as fatal for starting groups. I try to play permadeath/no reload games when I can, and there's no way a group could go there and not get TPK in 0.2 seconds. Not without metagaming. I did find the scroll AND portal on my first game on my own, but I think I died screaming, clawing at walls, not knowing how to get back. Didn't find NWC on my own though.
Malekitsu wrote: 09 Nov 2023, 17:35 You might want also to check out new classes once you get used to the mod.
Hrrm. Unless the new classes can be learned later (not at start) I don't think I will. I'm kind of making an exception to play MM6 just one more time (probably will), but will not be playing it more than once. That's why I'm undecided on maw or maw + tcc.

User avatar
Malekitsu
Pixie
Pixie
Posts: 113
Joined: 25 May 2022

Re: Might & Magic 6 mod: MAW; Monsters, Arts & Wonders [30/7/23 update]

Unread postby Malekitsu » 10 Nov 2023, 11:45

Gay Lord wrote: 10 Nov 2023, 06:33 Hrrm. Unless the new classes can be learned later (not at start) I don't think I will. I'm kind of making an exception to play MM6 just one more time (probably will), but will not be playing it more than once. That's why I'm undecided on maw or maw + tcc.
MAW Nightmare has extra bosses, dungeons, a final questline after you finish the game and it's more polished.
TCC is super cool, specially if you never played it it's a must-to imho

The difference is that Knight has more HP, double effect on shield spell damage reduction and more melee/bow damage.
Paladin can become a full time caster/healer (and can learn light) once you have enough mana/meditation.

Gay Lord
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 26
Joined: 28 Nov 2006

Re: Might & Magic 6 mod: MAW; Monsters, Arts & Wonders [30/7/23 update]

Unread postby Gay Lord » 26 Nov 2023, 08:46

So I dl'd the mod... wasn't sure how to use github but I finally figured out I needed the source copy. I didn't make any changes to the INI file as I didn't see any explanation of several of the options there, explained in the readme. I didn't see an explanation of the classes either.

The greater speed of the monsters wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I was concerned my L1s would be overwhelmed in 0.2 seconds. The greater pulling of nearby monsters, and the goblins shooting arrows was difficult, but do-able. I LOVE mana regen, and I like that there are more healing spells. I'm wondering why the alt/6 command for trade followers brings a trader/merchant, instead of a merchant/duper.

Suggestion) with so many healing spells now, what about making the spirit school about mana instead of health? So Healing Touch could transfer mana from one guy to another, while Shared Life would average the party's mana instead of health. Then, Power Cure could work like Shared Life, averaging the party's health.

I wanted to alter the starting skills of the classes but the mod doesn't seem to take the info from Class Starting Skills. Is the info stored elsewhere? Also, is there a reason why on character creation some of the skill choices are "None"? Did you want the party to have to find the other skills in game?

Suggestion) If your modding skills are as impressive as they seem, here's an idea for Diplomacy. The Merchant skill lets you shop with better prices, but doesn't affect money from quests. What if Diplomacy did that? Each rank of the skill would increase the gp and xp rewards from quests by 10%, so 10 ranks would double the amounts awarded (x3 and x4 for expert and master). Like other skills, only one person would need to have it, but it could make the skill more useful.

I LOVED the two surprises at the end of gobinwatch. I especially like the um.. G.W., and loved the award from that, it was perfectly appropriate! I was unable to deal with the other surprise and had to leave it for now. I also found a miniboss in the spider temple... liked that too.

I like that color barrels now give +2 instead of +1. Maybe even make them +5, so they give a guaranteed stat modifier change, if stats now change every 5 points?

Suggestion) Several of the cleric spells, like the various cure spells, work if used within 3 minutes per rank at basic level. That has always been a VERY short time... about 2 seconds IRL maybe? Why not change these spells so that the basic skill can work if used in 1 hour, regardless of ranks. Expert would still offer 1 hour/ rank. This way, at least these spells could be used in a reasonable time frame... about 40s or something.

Great mod so far!

User avatar
Malekitsu
Pixie
Pixie
Posts: 113
Joined: 25 May 2022

Re: Might & Magic 6 mod: MAW; Monsters, Arts & Wonders [30/7/23 update]

Unread postby Malekitsu » 27 Nov 2023, 11:54

Gay Lord wrote: 26 Nov 2023, 08:46 So I dl'd the mod... wasn't sure how to use github but I finally figured out I needed the source copy. I didn't make any changes to the INI file as I didn't see any explanation of several of the options there, explained in the readme. I didn't see an explanation of the classes either.

The greater speed of the monsters wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I was concerned my L1s would be overwhelmed in 0.2 seconds. The greater pulling of nearby monsters, and the goblins shooting arrows was difficult, but do-able. I LOVE mana regen, and I like that there are more healing spells. I'm wondering why the alt/6 command for trade followers brings a trader/merchant, instead of a merchant/duper.

Suggestion) with so many healing spells now, what about making the spirit school about mana instead of health? So Healing Touch could transfer mana from one guy to another, while Shared Life would average the party's mana instead of health. Then, Power Cure could work like Shared Life, averaging the party's health.

I wanted to alter the starting skills of the classes but the mod doesn't seem to take the info from Class Starting Skills. Is the info stored elsewhere? Also, is there a reason why on character creation some of the skill choices are "None"? Did you want the party to have to find the other skills in game?

Suggestion) If your modding skills are as impressive as they seem, here's an idea for Diplomacy. The Merchant skill lets you shop with better prices, but doesn't affect money from quests. What if Diplomacy did that? Each rank of the skill would increase the gp and xp rewards from quests by 10%, so 10 ranks would double the amounts awarded (x3 and x4 for expert and master). Like other skills, only one person would need to have it, but it could make the skill more useful.

I LOVED the two surprises at the end of gobinwatch. I especially like the um.. G.W., and loved the award from that, it was perfectly appropriate! I was unable to deal with the other surprise and had to leave it for now. I also found a miniboss in the spider temple... liked that too.

I like that color barrels now give +2 instead of +1. Maybe even make them +5, so they give a guaranteed stat modifier change, if stats now change every 5 points?

Suggestion) Several of the cleric spells, like the various cure spells, work if used within 3 minutes per rank at basic level. That has always been a VERY short time... about 2 seconds IRL maybe? Why not change these spells so that the basic skill can work if used in 1 hour, regardless of ranks. Expert would still offer 1 hour/ rank. This way, at least these spells could be used in a reasonable time frame... about 40s or something.

Great mod so far!
Hey there!
Classes explanation can be found on this forum or on reddit, it would be better to add them on the game files I guess.
For mana as healing form you can use the herbalist, a custom class ;)
We wanted to keep spirit as an alternative to Body, as body was mandatory.
Most skills are handled with code, you can find it in skill-mod.lua at line 2103.
As for diplomacy it's actually a good idea, but game balance would be affected by that, making the game easier and forcing a rebalance probably.
Most dungeons have a miniboss and/or surprises, good luck :P
Barrels used to give +5, but I quickly realized they were making the party too op. +2 should still feel good ;)
3 minutes is like 6 seconds.
While it would be an improvement the amount of work isn't worth the super-minimal benefit for super early stages of the game.
Also I'm currently spending most of the time coding MAW for merge, I will be back on working on MM6 probably from January.

Thanks a lot for the feedback! Enjoy and let me know how is it going ;)

Gay Lord
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 26
Joined: 28 Nov 2006

Re: Might & Magic 6 mod: MAW; Monsters, Arts & Wonders [30/7/23 update]

Unread postby Gay Lord » 02 Dec 2023, 00:57

So I spent about an hour trying to find info on the subclasses. I read all of this thread, and saw full info on a few of them. I went to discord, but I've never been on it (shocker, I know) so didn't know how to look for anything. Went to reddit and clicked on tons of posts. Looked more at this forum, and saw a little. Gave up and went to look more at the options in the INI file.

A bunch of lines aren't guessable so I don't know where to learn what they are:

255MOD=false
colouredStats=true
TRUENIGHTMARE=false
Mastery=true
EqualizedMode=false
StatusRework=true
PowerCureOverflow=false
FreeTabInInventory=1

I'm guessing the 255 mod might be tcc? I activated coloured stats and saw the change during creation. Lovely!! Definitely a keeper! True nightmare I think is a harder difficulty? I don't know why mastery is disabled by default if the subclasses use them. Also not sure why the quickload button isn't set... I made it 123 for now but might later change the quick buttons to f5 and f9.

I also found out that if activating the subclasses here, the ingame description is updated so I can learn about the classes there. It also looks like the rogue and grey knight classes didn't last? Now that I know more about the subclasses I think I'll start over with a bloodknight, necromancer and maybe a shaman. I don't see any drawback to being a shaman over base druid, and to me the herbalist is too expensive, losing four schools just for better healing.

suggestion) I've always felt the 10 pts of healing from red and blue potions was FAR too weak. Even at 1st level they're low. i would increase them to 50 each, or at least 25. Change the black potions from 100 to full restoration of hp or mp.

suggestion) the food system is rather pointless. I've been watching a lets play (which is why I got interested in playing mm6 again) and the guy went back and forth between two maps for a month with no food, and all he suffered was weakness. All the followers that create food or reduce travel time, andthe create food spell, are pointless. Is there a way to make hunger more damaging? Maybe travelling without food causes stat damage equal to days without food squared. So 5 days no food = -25 to each stat. Or maybe chance of death. Or arriving with only 1 hp and 0 mp.

User avatar
Malekitsu
Pixie
Pixie
Posts: 113
Joined: 25 May 2022

Re: Might & Magic 6 mod: MAW; Monsters, Arts & Wonders [30/7/23 update]

Unread postby Malekitsu » 06 Dec 2023, 08:37

Gay Lord wrote: 02 Dec 2023, 00:57 -
Reddit post down here:


Some clarification on settings:
TRUENIGHTMARE is the hard mode, monsters deal more damage, take less damage, your healing is nerfed and you can't save with enemies nearby, but you get better loot.

255 mode is the new game+, once you finish the game you will have in-game instructions.

Mastery is recommended specially in TRUE nightmare mode.

Grey Knight was deprecated, but Rogue (aka assassin) is fully working and actually one of my favourite classes.
The drawback of shaman is that he has low mana, so it can't be always healing, but needs to alternate with melee attacks.

Alchemy is on a rework list, incoming next year, will take care of health/mana potions aswell ;)

As for food something could be done, but it has never been something super crucial, I don't feel like making changes to punish players who don't care too much about it is something good.


Return to “Might and Magic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests