Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Arch-vile
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

Unread postby Arch-vile » 12 Nov 2023, 11:20

LadySoulCrystal wrote: 12 Nov 2023, 03:10
labbrys wrote: 11 Nov 2023, 10:48 Hi there,

I have just installed the game as ordered in the first page of this thread.
How to install:
1. Install GOG version of Might and Magic VIII (it is not recommended to install the game into "Program Files" folder).
2. Copy mod files into MM8 folder, replacing existing.
3. Set compatibility mode of MM8.exe and MM8Setup.exe to win XP SP2. First launch might take extra time.
I choose solo dragon and begin game hoping my dragon will fly but it doesnt. is it normal.

And there are lots of patches and mods flying over this forum it is a bit confusing. Do i need to apply anymore patches?

Thanks in advance
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but you need to be Master in the Dragon Ability in order to cast Flight and fly around. Dragons do not have it from the beginning.
Dragon spells ability:

Normal: Can cast Fear.
Expert: Can cast Flame Blast.
Master: Can cast Flight.
Grandmaster: Can cast Wing Buffet.

labbrys
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby labbrys » 12 Nov 2023, 13:03

LadySoulCrystal wrote: ↑Today, 06:10

labbrys wrote: ↑Yesterday, 13:48
Hi there,

How to install:
1. Install GOG version of Might and Magic VIII (it is not recommended to install the game into "Program Files" folder).
3. Set compatibility mode of MM8.exe and MM8Setup.exe to win XP SP2. First launch might take extra time.

I choose solo dragon and begin game hoping my dragon will fly but it doesnt. is it normal.

And there are lots of patches and mods flying over this forum it is a bit confusing. Do i need to apply anymore patches?

Thanks in advance

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but you need to be Master in the Dragon Ability in order to cast Flight and fly around. Dragons do not have it from the beginning.

Dragon spells ability:

Sorry totally noob here. What about second class thing? i got options to be knight, sorcerer, druid etc. So what? if i choose knight will my dragon able to wear plate armor?

Arch-vile
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Arch-vile » 12 Nov 2023, 14:34

labbrys wrote: 12 Nov 2023, 13:03
LadySoulCrystal wrote: ↑Today, 06:10

labbrys wrote: ↑Yesterday, 13:48
Hi there,

How to install:

Thanks in advance

Dragon spells ability:

Sorry totally noob here. What about second class thing? i got options to be knight, sorcerer, druid etc. So what? if i choose knight will my dragon able to wear plate armor?
The dragon carries no weapons, no armor, and no gloves. Only rings and amulet.

labbrys
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby labbrys » 12 Nov 2023, 16:12

than what is the benefit of taking second class?

Demran
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Demran » 12 Nov 2023, 23:44

labbrys wrote: 12 Nov 2023, 16:12 than what is the benefit of taking second class?
Mate Might and Magic is a very detailed game, with many classes, some races, different kinds, most of them getting promotions, at times more than once, and on Merge it gets even more detailed and complicated.
While I loved your idea of a Dragon Knight with Plate Armor, that's not a possibility within the current limits :) They are different classes and kinds.

I would suggest you to watch some videos and to read some guides about the game(s). Though some choose to figure out themselves by trial and error. But overall I doubt we can answer your questions about game basics, it will take a dozen of pages at the very least, and is not the place for it.

labbrys
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby labbrys » 13 Nov 2023, 16:27

I know the game played many years....ıt was not an idea nor suggestion it was just an example. Just tried to ask how is the second class thing work?

LadySoulCrystal
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby LadySoulCrystal » 13 Nov 2023, 17:56

labbrys wrote: 13 Nov 2023, 16:27 I know the game played many years....ıt was not an idea nor suggestion it was just an example. Just tried to ask how is the second class thing work?
I think unfortunately dragons get the short end of the stick when it comes to second classes.

For instance I have a Dark Elf Cleric, this means she gets the dark elf ability *and* all the skills learnable by clerics. Theres also a few skills (merchant in particular) that she can be better at because of her racial skills. Theres a table that will tell you what skills certain races get a boost to.

My Goblin thief started with basic Alchemy just for being a goblin.

As it stands even with a dragon having a certain class i believe it is hard coded that they can't wear armor or use weapons. As a paladin you may get extra misc skills like armsmaster or body building, not that armsmaster is of any use.

I hope this helps clear any confusion up, and any of my information should be corrected if i'm wrong anywhere.

labbrys
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby labbrys » 13 Nov 2023, 18:10

Thanks LadySoulCrystal for clearing it out. I created another party with dragon-dark elf-vampire-troll-minatour. Now the game doesnt give option to get second class option to anyone. (At least new sorpigal npc's that was offering before). Btw where is that table you mention?

Bugs 1- When creating party there is no option for goblin
2- I hired a scholar but identification of items doesnt work

LadySoulCrystal
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby LadySoulCrystal » 13 Nov 2023, 18:38

labbrys wrote: 13 Nov 2023, 18:10 Thanks LadySoulCrystal for clearing it out. I created another party with dragon-dark elf-vampire-troll-minatour. Now the game doesnt give option to get second class option to anyone. (At least new sorpigal npc's that was offering before). Btw where is that table you mention?

So i'll help where i can.
1) if you were getting classes from New Sorpigal npcs its because you started the game as a peasant. So if that option is suddenly gone it means 1 or more of your party are not peasants.

2) the table is in the game files. /data/tables/racialskills.txt. You can use notepad but the formatting will look odd. Excel works but there is also an actual table viewer program that i believe is linked on page 1. I'm also curious if you are using the base merge, or if you have used the Race/Class Unlocker tables created by Templayer.

3) unsure why you couldn't make a goblin. They should be near dwarves as they were available in MM7.

4) the scholar has been changed from their default settings to only be able to identify misc type items i believe. Not armor or weapons. This is so the player identification skill does not become obsolete, and also be disabled in the game files. Instructions to do so should be a page or two back, it was recently discussed.

labbrys
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby labbrys » 13 Nov 2023, 18:48

Quote LadySoulCrystal

Post by LadySoulCrystal » 1 minute ago

labbrys wrote: ↑30 minutes ago
Thanks LadySoulCrystal for clearing it out. I created another party with dragon-dark elf-vampire-troll-minatour. Now the game doesnt give option to get second class option to anyone. (At least new sorpigal npc's that was offering before). Btw where is that table you mention?

1) if you were getting classes from New Sorpigal npcs its because you started the game as a peasant. So if that option is suddenly gone it means 1 or more of your party are not peasants.

2) the table is in the game files. /data/tables/racialskills.txt. You can use notepad but the formatting will look odd. Excel works but there is also an actual table viewer program that i believe is linked on page 1. I'm also curious if you are using the base merge, or if you have used the Race/Class Unlocker tables created by Templayer.

3) unsure why you couldn't make a goblin. They should be near dwarves as they were available in MM7.

4) the scholar has been changed from their default settings to only be able to identify misc type items i believe. Not armor or weapons. This is so the player identification skill does not become obsolete, and also be disabled in the game files. Instructions to do so should be a page or two back, it was recently discussed.
1- In the first game i created solo dragon and the npc's were offering second class in the second game when i created a party of Dragon-vampire-troll-darkelf-minotour they didnt offer second class to anyone. If i dont get second class from npc's where should i get?

2- Thanks acknowledged

3- Party creation screen before beginning game doesnt include goblin although every other race or class there.

4- Thanks acknowledged

LadySoulCrystal
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby LadySoulCrystal » 13 Nov 2023, 19:11

labbrys wrote: 13 Nov 2023, 18:48

Quote LadySoulCrystal

Post by LadySoulCrystal » 1 minute ago

labbrys wrote: ↑30 minutes ago

1- In the first game i created solo dragon and the npc's were offering second class in the second game when i created a party of Dragon-vampire-troll-darkelf-minotour they didnt offer second class to anyone. If i dont get second class from npc's where should i get?

2- Thanks acknowledged

3- Party creation screen before beginning game doesnt include goblin although every other race or class there.

4- Thanks acknowledged
So i'm going to ignore point 3 because i'm not at my computer and can't troubleshoot.

But as to the second class issue. Bring up your 5 man party and tell me how the game regards them, plus which race you made them.

In normal play it would be akin to "Zoltan the Sorcerer"

In order to get a "second class" it needs to say "name the Peasant"

Ossie
Super Peasant
Super Peasant

Unread postby Ossie » 18 Nov 2023, 09:27

Just come back to this after a couple of years because excited to see an updated version! Couple of qns:

* There used to be a bunch of slightly different "community branches" but the links post show those as "outdated". Have they been incorporated into the latest base merge mod, work now only with previous versions of the merge mod, or been completely abandoned?
* I've downloaded the Race/Class Unlocker but it's just the .txt file, no readme or other instructions how to use. I haven't seen any other instructions link - can somebody pls advise?
* I saw another link for a widget to add the Unlocker to the Extra Settings tab, but this link is dead. Is this still an option?
* Reloading no longer seems to reset NPCs - is this intentional? If so, are you now stuck finding a particular NPC by luck?

Thanks!

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 18 Nov 2023, 23:09

Ossie wrote: 18 Nov 2023, 09:27 Just come back to this after a couple of years because excited to see an updated version! Couple of qns:

* There used to be a bunch of slightly different "community branches" but the links post show those as "outdated". Have they been incorporated into the latest base merge mod, work now only with previous versions of the merge mod, or been completely abandoned?
* I've downloaded the Race/Class Unlocker but it's just the .txt file, no readme or other instructions how to use. I haven't seen any other instructions link - can somebody pls advise?
* I saw another link for a widget to add the Unlocker to the Extra Settings tab, but this link is dead. Is this still an option?
* Reloading no longer seems to reset NPCs - is this intentional? If so, are you now stuck finding a particular NPC by luck?

Thanks!
Hello.
Community branch is not supported anymore, but fixes and graphics were moved to the base branch. Revamp is updated to latest base version, you can check installation instruction and get download links here: https://www.celestialheavens.com/forum/10/17261 (I think, all features from community branch are present in Revamp and more).

You do not need character unlocker anymore, it is intergarted into the mod, press this icon in character creation menu to toggle unlocker:

Reloading did never reset NPCs on maps in merge mod, it was like that in mm6, but reimplementation of NPC followers in mm8 engine keep them saved, I think, it is fair and logical. So you can not reset them by loading saved game, but you can make save before entering map first time, reload it and reenter map to trigger new generation, untill you find necessary follower. (And just in case: scholar is no longer able to identify any items! It is intended, now he is able to identify anything but weapons and armors)

Ossie
Super Peasant
Super Peasant

Unread postby Ossie » 19 Nov 2023, 00:28

Rodril wrote: 18 Nov 2023, 23:09
Hello.
Community branch is not supported anymore, but fixes and graphics were moved to the base branch. Revamp is updated to latest base version, you can check installation instruction and get download links here: https://www.celestialheavens.com/forum/10/17261 (I think, all features from community branch are present in Revamp and more).

You do not need character unlocker anymore, it is intergarted into the mod, press this icon in character creation menu to toggle unlocker:

Reloading did never reset NPCs on maps in merge mod, it was like that in mm6, but reimplementation of NPC followers in mm8 engine keep them saved, I think, it is fair and logical. So you can not reset them by loading saved game, but you can make save before entering map first time, reload it and reenter map to trigger new generation, untill you find necessary follower. (And just in case: scholar is no longer able to identify any items! It is intended, now he is able to identify anything but weapons and armors)
Thanks Rodril. I didn't remember that the merge mod did not reset NPCs on reload, but I agree this is more sensible. Excellent work incorporating all the community branch etc into the base merge mod. I did have that icon in character creation, but never thought to click on it. I went & saved Character selection.txt into the Tables directory anyway over the existing one and that seemed to work anyway, so hope I haven't potentially broken anything in future?

I personally loved the Scholar unlimited ID and I know you can hack it on again, but also agree with the change as it makes the ID Item skill redundant. Thanks so much for all the work on this - still loving these games almost 30 years later

Ossie
Super Peasant
Super Peasant

Unread postby Ossie » 20 Nov 2023, 00:02

Hi all 2 further qns:

* when I start in Enroth and change continent to Antagarich, I end up in Bracada. Is there any way to get to Emerald Island? If not, would this not suggest that if you want to experience all possible areas of the game, you should start in Antagarich?
* what's the current best app to view the Class/Skill table? (or any table). It used to be Notepad++ but that's not aligning properly for me any more either

Cheers

NhanGia71
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby NhanGia71 » 20 Nov 2023, 00:50

@Ossie :

- You want to go to Contest on Emerald island. You have to go to Erathia then take the boat to Emerald. Idont't remember the day. so you can just sleep and go check the boat.

- Their is grayface Textedit. https://github.com/GrayFace/Misc/releas ... xtEdit.rar . It make for MM 6-8 Table editing.

Arch-vile
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Arch-vile » 20 Nov 2023, 06:07

Ossie wrote: 20 Nov 2023, 00:02 Hi all 2 further qns:

* when I start in Enroth and change continent to Antagarich, I end up in Bracada. Is there any way to get to Emerald Island? If not, would this not suggest that if you want to experience all possible areas of the game, you should start in Antagarich?
* what's the current best app to view the Class/Skill table? (or any table). It used to be Notepad++ but that's not aligning properly for me any more either

Cheers
* Travel to Erathia. The messenger will bring an invitation to the competition that is taking place on the island.

* You can use the TXT tables editor ;)

https://ibb.co/thGXGLX

https://uloz.to/file/ujr3554mH7NR/txtedit-zip

Arch-vile
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Arch-vile » 20 Nov 2023, 20:38

It doesn't snow in the Frozen Highlands (after update 07/23/2023)

I tried to edit the file a Weather.lua

\Scripts\General\Weather.lua

I deleted these lines:
166 if not Game.ShowWeatherEffects then
167 CustomUI.ShowSFTAnim()
168 RemoveTimer(FadeTimer)
169 return
170 end

And I replaced this line:
209 elseif Game.ShowWeatherEffects then replace to else

And finally it started to snow in the Frosty Highlands :)

Before the quest "End winter for Lord Stromgard.....":
https://ibb.co/3YbFhPK

After completing the quest:
https://ibb.co/85KP45w

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 21 Nov 2023, 18:28

You should not modify script, you only need to enable weather effects in "Extra Settings" tab:

Arch-vile
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Arch-vile » 21 Nov 2023, 21:12

Rodril wrote: 21 Nov 2023, 18:28 You should not modify script, you only need to enable weather effects in "Extra Settings" tab:
But then what's the point of completing the task of stopping the snow when it doesn't snow anymore in the Frosty Highlands ?

https://ibb.co/LxpGhR1
https://ibb.co/KDpYP1d

It should always snow on the Frosty Highlands until the visit of the Hermit, who will stop the winter.
In the previous update, it worked like this regardless of the settings in "Extra Settings".

save:
https://uloz.to/file/FFjlKDDKBk9p/save000-zip

Return to “Might and Magic”