Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 23.07.2023]

Unread postby Macros the Black » 06 Aug 2023, 21:12

When you have Gerrard Blackames Ankh' from the Silverhelm Stronghold and you talk to Loretta Fleise she will have three dialogue options: Money, Ceremony of the Sun, Ankh. If you click on Ceremony of the Sun and you've already done the Druid promotion quests, it will then re-add the Ceremony of the Moon dialogue, apparently permanently overwriting the Ankh dialogue option. The Ankh dialogue is for a mini-quest that doesn't appear in the quest log.

The same thing also happens with Anthony Stone, who has the The High Council, Priests, Ankh dialogues and overwrites the Ankh dialogue with High Priests if you click on his Priests dialogue. You then have to load the game to complete the quest.

I suspect this happens because of the first promotion completion dialogues remaining instead of being replaced by the second promotion dialogue, like how it was in the original MM6.
You'd think Darkmoor was a ghost town, but instead there's plenty of life among the dead.

Kinox
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Kinox » 07 Aug 2023, 04:24

Macros the Black wrote: 06 Aug 2023, 21:12 When you have Gerrard Blackames Ankh' from the Silverhelm Stronghold and you talk to Loretta Fleise she will have three dialogue options: Money, Ceremony of the Sun, Ankh. If you click on Ceremony of the Sun and you've already done the Druid promotion quests, it will then re-add the Ceremony of the Moon dialogue, apparently permanently overwriting the Ankh dialogue option. The Ankh dialogue is for a mini-quest that doesn't appear in the quest log.

The same thing also happens with Anthony Stone, who has the The High Council, Priests, Ankh dialogues and overwrites the Ankh dialogue with High Priests if you click on his Priests dialogue. You then have to load the game to complete the quest.

I suspect this happens because of the first promotion completion dialogues remaining instead of being replaced by the second promotion dialogue, like how it was in the original MM6.
Perhaps, this issue is related to excessive chat dialogue options in the same building.

I know one example where a 5th dialogue option is circumstantially suppressed (but in this case, it can easily be recovered): in Dagger Would Island, at Menausaur's House (Master Armsmaster), if we get a Peasant in the Party and at same time the Quest open for the Cure Disease Scrolls, the Promotion to Ranger there doesn't show anymore until the Quest is totally completed. So, maybe in that Loretta Fleise Castle something like that might be operating, but for the a 3rd or 4th dialogue option insteas of a 5h one?

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 07 Aug 2023, 10:08

No, only three slots were used. Global event 1613 sets ankh topics at slot 2 for both Loretta and Anthony. As for their events, I suppose they are 1676, 1677 and 1675 (I've turned ankh topics into Quest() two years ago in Revamp so can't tell for sure).

Lurdur
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Lurdur » 07 Aug 2023, 13:52

I've run into the issue that in the final stretch of the main quest for 8, the Lord of Water and the Lord of Earth are not in their cells, as in after clicking on both black doors the animated screen pops up but there are no dialogue or options. And the quests to free them are still in my journal. Lord of Fire and Lord of Air both worked.

justl
Demon
Demon

Unread postby justl » 07 Aug 2023, 16:44

Hi,

since there is a lot going on right now, I have a few things to bring to attention too (though i havent downloaded the newest version by now - maybe there are some things fixed there already):
(see my compendium in the link for details/coords/clarification, especially the reason for the rings)

New Sorpigal Main map: In vanilla mm6 the vulcano would errupt, when you touched the buoy near it -> event is missing in the merge
Ghariks Forge: you still cant open the secret door after the brige-puzzle is solved
Shadow Guild Hideout: there is a fireplace where you get a random ring -> event is missing in the merge
Castle Ironfist: the Obelisk-place spewed some enemies out, when you entered it via portal from the castle (about 5 times) -> event is missing in the merge
Temple of Tsantsa: the bed in one of the last rooms (before the cell) should have contained a random spear
Alvar: Pine tree should give you a random ring
Daggerwound Island: the flower should give you a random ring
Ironsand: a Rock should give you a random ring
Shadowspire: a runestone should give you a random ring

best regards,
justl
Last edited by justl on 07 Aug 2023, 20:17, edited 1 time in total.
V2: Compendium of mm6-8 Secrets + Details about the base merge and DaveHer's redone merge (its in english!)
https://www.mightandmagicworld.de/fileb ... index.html

Jasmin
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Jasmin » 07 Aug 2023, 19:33

Hello Peeps,

Is there any combined list of changes introduced by this mod? I'm especially interested in the Class/Skill Changes.

I've just installed everything and started a new playthrough of MM7 and realized that, as far as I can tell, none of the original MM7 classes have GM Merchant anymore. Also GM IDItem appears to be equally gone...? Druid seems to be capable of going GM in all schools of magic and Meditation gives active mana regen. That's as much as I found out.

While on the topic - is there any way to turn off weather effects in the latest version? Snowstorms in Harmondale makes it quite hard to see anything

Finally - if you pick up any items with mouse - such as scrolls from bookshelves - is there any way to bag them without dropping them on the ground first? I cannot move the coursor without right-clicking, which appears to attempt to use any picked up items on the portrait.

Finally++ - is there any way to limit drops to the contient you are on? Saying that MM6 items look derpy as f would be an understatement of the year.

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 07 Aug 2023, 19:35

Lurdur wrote: 07 Aug 2023, 13:52 I've run into the issue that in the final stretch of the main quest for 8, the Lord of Water and the Lord of Earth are not in their cells, as in after clicking on both black doors the animated screen pops up but there are no dialogue or options. And the quests to free them are still in my journal. Lord of Fire and Lord of Air both worked.
Send me your savegame file, please.

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 07 Aug 2023, 20:25

justl wrote: 07 Aug 2023, 16:44 Castle Ironfist: the Obelisk placed spewed some enemies out, when you entered it via portal from the castle (about 5 times) -> event is missing in the merge
I think this also just triggered if you came near the area from anywhere or were still in it, and it had a cooldown I guess? I don't know, it always seemed a bit random-ish to me when they would spawn. I remember they would sometimes spawn while I was still fighting the previous wave. But yep, they are not spawning in the merge.
Alvar: Pine tree should give you a random ring
Daggerwound Island: the flower should give you a random ring
Ironsand: a Rock should give you a random ring
Shadowspire: a runestone should give you a random ring
I decided to check all the "secrets" in MM8 in my current playthrough from a list I have. Partly to check which work, and because I tend to forget most of these myself.

Daggerwound:
The Palm tree that drops a level 1 reagent near the game start location works. The flower on the west island of Daggerwound gave me the Letter from the Dragon Riders ! lol. I think I've seen that item drop in an unexpected place before... It must drop when the game doesn't know what item to call. The buoy north of the bank that should give 2 skill points also didn't work. The buoy south of town that gives 5 skill points does work.

Ravenshore:
Tree in town (west of crystal) that empties your potions works. The tree northwest of Jack's hovel that drops a reagent or empty bottle works. The tree that's a chest and has an artifact near the northern bridge also works. The Buoy between the dock and Smuggler's Cove should give 5 skill points to first character to click it; doesn't work (or maybe I've already clicked it before).

Alvar:
The pine tree in the northwest of Alvar that drops stat boosting potions does work it seems but only drops it once (I think it dropped multiple originally, was probably nerfed). The one near the obelisk that should give a ring does not. The wall that's a chest in the Ogre Fort works, as does the rock chest near the elemental guild.

Garrote Gorge:
"flowers" chest near town works.

Ironsand:
The cactus near Stone's hovel that drops a reagent or bottle works. The rock that should drop a ring instead dropped a "Diary Page" for me !.. this is supposed to be found in the Dragon Riders caves. I guess this is the next item the game spits out when it doesn't know what to do. The rock that's a treasure chest by the cyclops camp near lava works, but I had already opened it previously.

Murmurwoods:
The gem exchange tree in Murmurwoods works, of course. People would complain if it didn't.

Shadowspire:
The Lloyd's Beacon scroll can still be found in the back of the items shop. Btw, this could be fun if it was changed to a Dimension Door scroll. Or if one was hidden in a similar way once per continent. The Rune post near Crane cottage that drops a reagent or bottle worked for me. The Rune post by the oily lake north of the armor shop that should drop a low level ring instead dropped the "Page from Agar's Journal" for me. Again, must be the third item in the item data list or something and the game didn't know what to drop. The small rune post a bit south from the Mad Necromancer's Lab dropped a white potion as it should.

Ravage Roaming:
The Rock that's a chest northeast of the Church of Eep on the main land works. The "Open Crate" chest that's piled on the Sealed Crates in the Ogre Fortress worked but I had already opened it previously.

Regna:
The tree that drops a Telekinesis scroll near the item shop works.

Maybe I had already used some trees/flowers/rocks that drop reagents, but I probably missed most or all of them that aren't chests previously because I don't tend to remember those except some in Alvar. But it's interesting that it dropped non-quest journals instead of reagents for me on some of these.
You'd think Darkmoor was a ghost town, but instead there's plenty of life among the dead.

Arch-vile
Galactic Gargle Blaster
Galactic Gargle Blaster

Unread postby Arch-vile » 08 Aug 2023, 17:09

Merge awards.

MM6 Awards are complete.

Missing MM7 Awards (without promotions)
1 Current Fines Due: %lu 1
6 Rescued Loren Steel 2
7 Gave Loren Imposter to Catherine 2
8 Retrieved Fort Riverstride Plans 2
9 Gave false plans to Elfking 2

Missing MM8 Awards (without promotions)
2 Brought Power Stone to Fredrick Talimere. 1
3 Blackmailed the Wererat Smugglers. 1
4 Delivered Dadeross' Letter to Elgar Fellmoon. 1
5 Found a witness to the cataclysm in the Ironsand Desert. 1
6 Placed Vilebite's ashes in the Troll Tomb. 1
22 Found Troll Homeland. 2
24 Returned Ebonest to Charles Quixote. 2
25 Rescued Blazen Stormlance. 2
27 Gave the Sword of Whistlebone the Slayer to the Deftclaw Redreaver. 2
35 Found the Lost Book of Khel. 2
51 Recovered Idol of the Snake for Hiss of Blood Drop village. 3
52 Brought Potions of Fire Resistance to the southern houses of Rust. 3
53 Killed all of the Ogres in the Alvar region. 3
55 Found the shield Eclipse. 3
56 Rescued Irabelle Hunter from the Ogre Fortress in Alvar. 3
57 Found the Dragonbane flower for Calindril in the Garrote Gorge Dragon Hunter's Fort. 3
58 Found the Dragonbane flower for Balion Tearwing in Garrote Gorge. 3
59 Brought the Annointed Herb Potion to Languid on the Dagger Wound Islands. 3
60 Killed all of the Dire Wolves in the Ravenshore area. 3
61 Delivered False Report to the Dread Pirate Stanley for Arion Hunter. 3
62 Killed all of the Dragons in the Garrote Gorge area for Avalon in the Garrote Gorge Dragon Hunter's Fort. 3
63 Killed all of the Dragon Hunters in the Garrote Gorge are for Jerin Flame-eye in the Dragon Cave of Garrote Gorge. 3

============
I tried a simpler arrangement of achievements. It's much clearer.
blue color = all MM6 quests
purple color = all MM7 quests
green color = all MM8 quests
yellow and gray color = common awards to all

https://ibb.co/LChVWj1
https://ibb.co/dkFdWCg
============

eilacomeva
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby eilacomeva » 08 Aug 2023, 22:12

Rodril wrote: 07 Aug 2023, 19:35
Lurdur wrote: 07 Aug 2023, 13:52 I've run into the issue that in the final stretch of the main quest for 8, the Lord of Water and the Lord of Earth are not in their cells, as in after clicking on both black doors the animated screen pops up but there are no dialogue or options. And the quests to free them are still in my journal. Lord of Fire and Lord of Air both worked.
Send me your savegame file, please.
Same thing happened to me, here's a savegame
https://ulozto.net/tamhle/ogZqhhZgAvA7/ ... L5AmZ0BN==

eilacomeva
Pixie
Pixie

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 15.02.2022]

Unread postby eilacomeva » 08 Aug 2023, 22:24

Eksekk wrote: 14 Jul 2023, 14:26
_Morgoth_ wrote: 11 Jul 2023, 11:36 clean install (setup_mm8_2.0.0.13) than move contents from (MM678_Merged_2022_08_30_nomedia) to install DIR and overwrite
Is your game installed in C:\Program Files (or its x86 version)? If so, move it out of here. Did you set mm8.exe and mm8setup.exe compatibility to windows XP SP2? If not, set it. What merge branch did you use? (If you don't know what that means, you've not used any)
fwiw, using the original cd from over 20 years ago you no longer need to set compatibility for mm8.exe,
installing to C:\program files (x86)\... NOW(*) works like a charm without compatibility and without running as admin,
except that iirc I had to use regedit to use the new interface.

(*) it used to work, then windows got buggy, now it works again

Lurdur
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Lurdur » 09 Aug 2023, 07:31

Another issue is that I cannot turn in the two "slay the dragon hunters" quests after having sided with the dragon hunters in the alliance quest, and they're both still in my journal. This may well have been in the original game, or because I did it by luring over the naga instead of killing them myself.

Unsure if it's the correct place to make suggestions, but if it is it would be nice if clearing out the dire wolves lair, the ogre fortress, the wasp nest, etc., etc. stopped them from spawning again when the map resets, but I don't know how much can be done with the available tools.
I will die on the rock that Deyja has a Spanish J

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 09 Aug 2023, 07:54

justl wrote: 07 Aug 2023, 16:44 New Sorpigal Main map: In vanilla mm6 the vulcano would errupt, when you touched the buoy near it -> event is missing in the merge
Event isn't missing, it can't work the way it was in MM6. Can be rewritten with MMExtension functions but someone has to provide proper volcano sound wav file. ;)

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 09 Aug 2023, 08:12

Arch-vile wrote: 08 Aug 2023, 17:09 I tried a simpler arrangement of achievements. It's much clearer.
There are six colors that cycled again after category 5 (first category is 0). So I ended with 15 categories for 250 [reodered] awards [for Revamp]. Unfortunately, I can't see a proper way to extend awards for Base Merge - while MMExtension supports awards expansion now, there's no info about savegame version in Base Merge so it isn't easy to reinitiate awards for older saves.

Arch-vile
Galactic Gargle Blaster
Galactic Gargle Blaster

Unread postby Arch-vile » 09 Aug 2023, 17:01

cthscr wrote: 09 Aug 2023, 08:12
Arch-vile wrote: 08 Aug 2023, 17:09 I tried a simpler arrangement of achievements. It's much clearer.
There are six colors that cycled again after category 5 (first category is 0). So I ended with 15 categories for 250 [reodered] awards [for Revamp]. Unfortunately, I can't see a proper way to extend awards for Base Merge - while MMExtension supports awards expansion now, there's no info about savegame version in Base Merge so it isn't easy to reinitiate awards for older saves.
=======================================
0 red color text
1 blue color text
2 purple color text
3 green color text
4 yellow text
5 gray color text
6 red color text
7 blue color text
8 purple color text
9 green color text
10 yellow color text

New arrangement:

1 for all
2 for all
3 for new quests (New quests are only displayed in green)
4 all MM6 quests
5 all MM7 quests
6 all MM8 quests

https://ibb.co/x8PSkDS
=======================================

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 09 Aug 2023, 17:48

Souldrinker does not heal unconscious characters. Was that always the case or is it a nerf?

Unconscious characters also do not wake up automatically when regeneration puts them in positive hit points. You have to use a potion or healing spell, or rest.

Scoopser
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Scoopser » 09 Aug 2023, 18:56

joanthedark wrote: 06 Aug 2023, 17:51
Scoopser wrote: 06 Aug 2023, 16:15 Anyone have any ideas?
Looks like you've already exhausted most of the things you could try, but reading your post I only see mention software wise and not hardware, so it is worth a try testing with a different keyboard and see if the issue persists, because if it's also happening to you in vanilla MM8 sometimes that would seem to be a worthy thing to try.
It seems to be tied with the F5, F6, F7 and F8 keys hotkeys for the additional quick casting in the Extra Settings menu. Also, did a new fresh install with just base GOG installer, and it works normally there, so guess I just mixed up the results from the many uninstall-and-clean-install attempts and tries.

Also, it seems to only affect the attack, quick cast, inventory, jump and turned based fight actions (no matter what keys they are mapped to, currently I have them mapped as to the WASD setup from GreyFace's mouse look settings). Pressing F5 though F8 once consecutively removes the issue for some time. Also, the F-keys act as attack buttons whether they are mapped or not in the Extra Settings menu.

[EDIT: If it means anything, I'm running on 64-bit W11 and have compat. settings for MM8.exe and MM8Settings.exe set to XP Service Pack 3, but have experimented with setting it to XP SP2, W95 and W7 as well with the same results. Have the overwritten the files from the latest patch from 6 August.]

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 09 Aug 2023, 22:39

I've updated patch link, it contains fixes for lords of Water and Earth not appearing in their prison chambers, and fix for Divine Transcendence potion. Thanks for provided save files.

Macros the Black wrote: Souldrinker does not heal unconscious characters. Was that always the case or is it a nerf?
Was always like that.
Macros the Black wrote: Unconscious characters also do not wake up automatically when regeneration puts them in positive hit points. You have to use a potion or healing spell, or rest.
Checked it briefly, could not reproduce yet. Will keep in mind to look further.

Jasmin wrote: While on the topic - is there any way to turn off weather effects in the latest version? Snowstorms in Harmondale makes it quite hard to see anything
There's "Extra settings" button in "Config" ingame menu, you can toggle off weather effects there.
Jasmin wrote: Finally - if you pick up any items with mouse - such as scrolls from bookshelves - is there any way to bag them without dropping them on the ground first? I cannot move the coursor without right-clicking, which appears to attempt to use any picked up items on the portrait.
Use middle mouse button or Caps Lock button to toggle mouse look (it will allow you to move and use cursor). Also you can use 1-5 number buttons to directly put mouse item int character's inventory.
Jasmin wrote: Finally++ - is there any way to limit drops to the contient you are on? Saying that MM6 items look derpy as f would be an understatement of the year.
No, there is no such possibility.
Also there's no guide. Quickest way to see changes is to open according text tables in "Data\Tables" folder with Grayface's TxtEdit.

toadking
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby toadking » 10 Aug 2023, 02:12

Rodril wrote: 09 Aug 2023, 22:39 I've updated patch link, it contains fixes for lords of Water and Earth not appearing in their prison chambers, and fix for Divine Transcendence potion. Thanks for provided save files.
The issue of who benefits from drinking "Divine Transcendence" has been fixed after applied the patch :) , and another factor is that there is no limit to the duration of the effect, which is much greater than 30 minutes multiplied by the power of the potion(eg. power=1, duration of effect > 2 days).

joanthedark
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby joanthedark » 10 Aug 2023, 04:39

Rodril wrote: 09 Aug 2023, 22:39 I've updated patch link, it contains fixes for lords of Water and Earth not appearing in their prison chambers, and fix for Divine Transcendence potion. Thanks for provided save files.
Thank you for the continuous fixes Rodril! Much appreciated.

I was wondering: Is there a way (through console command or editing the lua files) to force the strongest variation of enemies to appear/spawn exclusively on every map before you visit it? For example: New Sorpigal having only Goblin Kings (red) and Mages (blue), would be cool for a challenge run.

Return to “Might and Magic”