Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 23.07.2023]

Unread postby cthscr » 01 Aug 2023, 11:03

It doesn't show house labels in Ravenshore
Some of the patches were lost.
That's why one shouldn't directly replace MMExtension files but use git-merge during creation of new Merge pack.

[Edit] This one was the only asmpatch in Scripts/Structs/After/Remove2DEventsLimit.lua.

Arch-vile
Galactic Gargle Blaster
Galactic Gargle Blaster

Unread postby Arch-vile » 01 Aug 2023, 18:05

cthscr wrote: 01 Aug 2023, 11:03
It doesn't show house labels in Ravenshore
Some of the patches were lost.
That's why one shouldn't directly replace MMExtension files but use git-merge during creation of new Merge pack.

[Edit] This one was the only asmpatch in Scripts/Structs/After/Remove2DEventsLimit.lua.
Fixed, thanks

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 03 Aug 2023, 08:54

Rodril wrote: 23 Jul 2023, 18:20 -- MMExtension used by the mod is updated to latest version (includes it's fixes and improvements).

Code: Select all

$ git diff -R letr.rod/Rodril_nightly_build --diff-filter=M --ignore-cr-at-eol --stat -- ExeMods/
 ExeMods/MMExtension/lua51.dll | Bin 405504 -> 424448 bytes
Can you please elaborate? As far as I can tell file hasn't been changed since adding to (GrayFace's) mmextension repository on 2022-11-12.

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 03 Aug 2023, 12:01

Hello, I've updated patch link: https://drive.google.com/u/1/uc?id=10XF ... t=download
Bolster multipliers storage in save game files is fixed.
House hint display fix is restored.
Plate armor icons are included, but i had to erase left sleeves for now, due to how MM8 displays left hand variations.
There are 3 variations: normal, offhand weapon equipped, two handed weapon equipped. Engine supports only one armor variation for left hand, so it will require workarounds to display full plate for woman paperdoll properly.

cthscr wrote: 03 Aug 2023, 08:54

$ git diff -R letr.rod/Rodril_nightly_build --diff-filter=M --ignore-cr-at-eol --stat -- ExeMods/
 ExeMods/MMExtension/lua51.dll | Bin 405504 -> 424448 bytes
Can you please elaborate? As far as I can tell file hasn't been changed since adding to (GrayFace's) mmextension repository on 2022-11-12.
I've created issue in MMExt repository: https://github.com/GrayFace/MMExtension/issues/9
This dll gave random crashes on my machine, untill i recompiled it. During testing of multiplayer branch, i've also got report of it crashing game on startup on win7 machines: https://www.celestialheavens.com/forum/ ... 40#p389785
Dll following archive is OpenResty' luajit with one additional exported symbol required by MMExtension, no code changes were made.
I could not solve problem with win7 crash on startup, that why i keep link to old dlls in first post.

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 04 Aug 2023, 14:41

$ git diff -R letr.rod/Rodril_nightly_build --diff-filter=A --ignore-cr-at-eol --stat --stat-graph-width=20 -- Scripts/
 Scripts/General/BountyHunt.lua         |  224 ++++
 Scripts/General/Build MMExtension.lua  |  117 ++
 Scripts/General/Editor Lods.lua        |    8 +
 Scripts/General/FindHelper.lua         |   98 ++
 Scripts/Global/Debug Editor.lua        |  598 ++++++++++
 Scripts/Global/GodMode.lua             |   61 ++
 Scripts/Help/About.txt                 |    7 +
 Scripts/Help/HelpParse.lua             | 1139 ++++++++++++++++++++
 Scripts/Help/HelpTOC.lua               |  102 ++
 Scripts/Help/HelpWrite.lua             |  565 ++++++++++
 Scripts/Help/MMExtHTML.htm             |  384 +++++++
 Scripts/Help/MMExtRefStart.htm         |  883 +++++++++++++++
 Scripts/Help/MMExtRefTemplate.htm      |   13 +
 Scripts/Help/RunHelp.lua               |  191 ++++
 Scripts/Help/help.lua                  |  563 ++++++++++
 Scripts/Help/lua52html.lua             |  557 ++++++++++
 Scripts/Include/Include My Scripts.lua |    1 +
 Scripts/Include/Keep Console Log.lua   |    5 +
 Scripts/Maps/d06.lua                   |   14 +
 Scripts/Maps/d34.lua                   |    7 +
 Scripts/Maps/mdt15.lua                 |   18 +
 Scripts/Maps/out13.lua                 |  108 ++
 Scripts/Maps/pbp.lua                   |   51 +
 Scripts/Modules/Build Files List.lua   |   99 ++
 Scripts/Modules/RSParse.lua            |  214 ++++
 Scripts/Modules/RSTemplates.lua        |  313 ++++++
 26 files changed, 6340 insertions(+)
Most of the files here (taken from mmextension repo) shouldn't have been added. See 'Scripts/Modules/Build Files List.lua' for a list.
(Diff is made against commit 31a9d1a4 (2023-05-05) merged with mmextension of 2023-08-01 (last changed on 2023-07-03).)
Rodril wrote: 03 Aug 2023, 12:01 I've created issue in MMExt repository: https://github.com/GrayFace/MMExtension/issues/9
This dll gave random crashes on my machine, untill i recompiled it. During testing of multiplayer branch, i've also got report of it crashing game on startup on win7 machines: https://www.celestialheavens.com/forum/ ... 40#p389785
Dll following archive is OpenResty' luajit with one additional exported symbol required by MMExtension, no code changes were made.
I could not solve problem with win7 crash on startup, that why i keep link to old dlls in first post.
I'd suggest to make such changes in separated commit with proper commit message (containing issue link) in future.

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 05 Aug 2023, 00:24

cthscr wrote: 04 Aug 2023, 14:41 Most of the files here (taken from mmextension repo) shouldn't have been added. See 'Scripts/Modules/Build Files List.lua' for a list.
(Diff is made against commit 31a9d1a4 (2023-05-05) merged with mmextension of 2023-08-01 (last changed on 2023-07-03).)
Roger that.
Tomsod wrote: Are you sure this was the original intent? Looking at MM7 code, the only possible indication that Scholars were supposed to be type-restricted is that the items.txt entry address is computed before checking for the NPC, yet nothing is done to it if the check passes. Besides, Alchemists who repair apparel refer to it as "magic items", not just "items". That said, I do agree that Scholars are broken, and myself plan to nerf them in my mod, just in a different way (reduce ID Item bonus to +5, like with Sages) -- but if it's a bug and not just poor balance, that changes things for me.
No. I meant, how i wanted to do it in the merge initially. I did not check how it works in MM7 internally, just always thought it is overkill.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 05 Aug 2023, 00:39

Great to see this update! I'll pick it up right away, since I wanted to play some more just now.

Could you take a look at my bug reports from page 384 and 385 and see if these are things something can be done about? Thanks! I've seen in game that the club recovery bug setting it always to 30 has already been taken care of.

ALSO: all those female armor repaints are absolutely stunning, easily the best we've had so far! Blown away by those, that I am!
Last edited by Xfing on 05 Aug 2023, 01:31, edited 1 time in total.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 05 Aug 2023, 00:59

BTW a heads up: the newest game files still ahve the wrong MM7 leather belt inventory sprite. You must have used a version from before adding the proper one. I described this problem in this post: https://www.celestialheavens.com/forum/ ... 79#p389679

Arch-vile
Galactic Gargle Blaster
Galactic Gargle Blaster

Unread postby Arch-vile » 05 Aug 2023, 07:27

Rodril wrote: 05 Aug 2023, 00:24
cthscr wrote: 04 Aug 2023, 14:41
No. I meant, how i wanted to do it in the merge initially. I did not check how it works in MM7 internally, just always thought it is overkill.
NPC Scholar
+5 to learning and identifying all items except weapons and armor is fair.

Eksekk
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Eksekk » 05 Aug 2023, 09:06

IMO general bonus would be better (no unlimited identify magic items, but for example +6 to ID item for all characters).
Unfinished mod by me: MM7 Rev4 mod, MMMerge version.

Tomsod
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Tomsod » 05 Aug 2023, 14:57

As I alluded to earlier, MM7 already has Sage who gives +6 to ID item and ID monster, so there's a precedent.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 05 Aug 2023, 16:55

Another bug I found:

When you use the cauldron exploit at Agar's lab in Kriegspire to increase your characters' intelligence to 255, no further permanent boosts such as barrels or shrines will work on intelligence. It will just stay at 255. This fortunately doesn't pertain to potions, which will let you go beyond 255, but that doesn't change the fact that barrels etc no longer work.

Tomsod
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Tomsod » 05 Aug 2023, 17:05

Xfing wrote: 05 Aug 2023, 16:55 When you use the cauldron exploit at Agar's lab in Kriegspire to increase your characters' intelligence to 255, no further permanent boosts such as barrels or shrines will work on intelligence. It will just stay at 255. This fortunately doesn't pertain to potions, which will let you go beyond 255, but that doesn't change the fact that barrels etc no longer work.
Natural stats are capped at 255, yeah. I'm pretty sure this is deliberate and black potions being an exception is the bug. That said, with the three continents worth of stat boosts the cap might indeed benefit from being increased. Also didn't MM6Patch fix that cauldron? Merge should pull patch fixes, at least occasionally.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 05 Aug 2023, 20:16

Tomsod wrote: 05 Aug 2023, 17:05 Natural stats are capped at 255, yeah. I'm pretty sure this is deliberate and black potions being an exception is the bug. That said, with the three continents worth of stat boosts the cap might indeed benefit from being increased. Also didn't MM6Patch fix that cauldron? Merge should pull patch fixes, at least occasionally.
Really, that sort of cap exists? I'm finding out for the first time, maybe because I never really had any stat at 255 without the aid of items before. Nice to know!

BTW, I've noticed another thing - Blazen Stormlance and Leane Stormlance disappeared from the Adventurer's Inn for me after dismissing them - looks like a serious bug. Might be due to the fact that my install wasn't clean (just replaced the older files with the entire new package). I reinstalled it clean and started a new game, so maybe this one was my fault.

Oh, and looks like the Royal Leather (the blue leather, the best regular kind from MM7) is still using the old repaint, while Hareck's Leather for instance is using the new one. Looks like an oversight to me.

toadking
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby toadking » 06 Aug 2023, 03:17

We found an issue about effect of "Divine Transcendence". When a member have drunk the potion of "Divine Transcendence", it effects another one, reproduce as below:

1.Preparation:
Start a new game with only one player, then use the following scripts in console to give him a bottle of "Divine Transcendence" and recruit the other four members:

evt.GiveItem{1,0,282}
HireCharacter(20)  --2th member
HireCharacter(21)  --3th member
HireCharacter(2)   --4th member
HireCharacter(1)  --5th member 
2.Issue reproduce:
(1). Making the 4th member drink "Divine Transcendence", the effect is on the 3th member.
(2). Making the 5th member drink "Divine Transcendence", the effect is on the 2th member.

It seems that the variables of "team number" and "number in roster.txt" have been mixed up, Issue versions we found as below:
1. MM678_Merged_2023_07_23.zip
2. last mmmerge-master.zip released at 2023.01.01

Could you please help to confirm it, thank you very much.

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 06 Aug 2023, 04:53

Xfing wrote: 05 Aug 2023, 20:16 BTW, I've noticed another thing - Blazen Stormlance and Leane Stormlance disappeared from the Adventurer's Inn for me after dismissing them - looks like a serious bug. Might be due to the fact that my install wasn't clean (just replaced the older files with the entire new package). I reinstalled it clean and started a new game, so maybe this one was my fault.
Are you using patch files? (https://drive.google.com/u/1/uc?id=10XF ... t=download)
There was such bug, but it should have been already fixed. If you do and issue still happens, send me savegame file, please.
toadking wrote: 06 Aug 2023, 03:17 Could you please help to confirm it, thank you very much.
I confirm, will fix it soon.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 06 Aug 2023, 11:49

Rodril wrote: 06 Aug 2023, 04:53 Are you using patch files? (https://drive.google.com/u/1/uc?id=10XF ... t=download)
There was such bug, but it should have been already fixed. If you do and issue still happens, send me savegame file, please.
I think the issue still persists, even when I tried this on a clean install. Initially it looks like it's OK, but the hirelings disappear from the inn upon changing continents. My save:
Unfortunately it's after this happens, I no longer have a savegame before losing these characters from the inn.

EDIT: After applying the patch, the characters returned. So yeah, it's fixed I guess! But in the meantime I've also noticed a few more things:

- Lich Jars don't get consumed when a character is promoted to Lich (can confirm with the MM8 variety)
- The belt problem described earlier, that one's a trivial fix fortunately. This one is also fixed in the patch
- There is a bug with transition animations between Nighon Tunnels and Thunderfist Mountain & Thunderfist Mountain and Eeofol Tunnels. They both display the Eeofol Tunnels animation, and the text only says "placeholder text" in both cases. I remember these areas having two distinct animations and flavor texts. The animation is different when getting from Thunderfist Mountain to Nighon Tunnels, but only the placeholder text displays.

Speaking of transition animations and flavor texts, think it would be possible to restore the ones for the Temple of Light and Temple of Dark as well? Not sure if this is something you did yourself or Grayface did for his general patch, but the animations are pretty awesome, and they come with their own flavor texts as well. More info here: https://tcrf.net/Might_and_Magic_VII:_F ... Cinematics

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 06 Aug 2023, 15:29

I think I also have an idea on how to sort out the artifact/relic class/race/alignment requirements. The ones for MM8 items do seem to work, but most others do not, or work partially. For example, items that are Dark Elf exclusive, work for normal Elf characters as well, while they shouldn't. Racial ones othrewise seem to work fine (although I haven't tested all of them yet), but the ones requiring alignment (Good, Evil) do not work. This is probably because in MM7 they were checking for the flag that decides the entire party alignment based on the chosen path. In the Merge choosing a path doesn't lock you into a promotion path - since you can change between light and dark variations using certain Enroth NPCs. For this reason I think "Good" and "Evil" requirement items should check for individual character's class instead.

The requirements should be such:
Good: Champion, Spy, Master, Hero, Master Archer, Ranger Lord, Arch Druid, Priest of the Light, Archmage
Evil: Black Knight, Assassin, Ninja, Villain, Sniper, Bounty Hunter, Warlock, Priest of the Dark, Necromancer, Master Necromancer, Lich, Vampire, Nosferatu

The rest of the classes would be considered "neutral" and not allowed to use either of these item classes. Apart from all the unpromoted MM7 classes, these would be: Master Wizard, High Priest, Minotaur, Minotaur Lord, Troll, War Troll, Dark Elf, Dark Elf Patriarch, Dragon, Great Wyrm.

Since there are only 2 "Good" items and 3 "Evil" items, I would suggest expanding this list.
- Add "Evil" requirement to the MM8 spear, Spiritslayer. This one's a no-brainer, really - given both the appearance and the flavor text of the spear
- Add "Good" requirement to the MM8 shield, Eclipse. It's clearly a Sun Temple artifact (or at least change the requirement from Cleric to Priest of Light).
- Add "Good" requirement to the MM8 cloak, Archangel Wings. There are plenty of items geared specifically towards Liches, this one looks like a specifically Archmage item to me based on appearance & stat boosts.
Last edited by Xfing on 06 Aug 2023, 18:48, edited 1 time in total.

Scoopser
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Scoopser » 06 Aug 2023, 16:15

Hi! First of all, thanks for the amazing work! I'm all new here, been re-playing the MM games every few years to relive my childhood memories after I discovered Mok and later GreyFace started their work on patches for modern computers and other fixes (thanks a lot!).

I just finished VI: Mandate of Heaven, getting ready for VII, and remembered I came across this merge mod some time back and decided to give it a go now.

Now, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I've encountered a small issue: the keyboard presses are not always being registered. Using the latest MM8 GOG installer and following the instructions. Sometimes I have to press e.g. Q (or A if not using the WASD setup with or w/o mouse look) several times in a row or hold it in a few seconds before anything happens. Same with I for inventory, E for quick casting, F for jumping etc. The WASD keys for moving works as normal. No matter if I change the mappings manually, default them in-game or re-map them, it's the same. What's odd, pressing F5, however, works and does a normal attack, even if I remove the quick cast key bindings in the Extra Settings menu, and it is not mapped in the regular Control settings either.
After some testing (and clean installing several times) I also found that the issue usually disappears for a while if I press the F1 to F12 in sequence (sometimes only pressing F4 for windowed mode and back to fullscreen also works). Tried mapping keys in both registry and in the ini-file, with no luck.
Interestingly, I did a clean install (again using the MM8 GOG installer) without installing anything else, and the issue was there even then at least initially, so it might not be related to the merge mod at all (hence why I'm uncertain this was the correct spot to post this) (or there are some settings "lagging behind"?). Anyone have any ideas?

I've clean installed using the GOG M&M8 installer and the 23.07.2023 mod with the August 1st patch. Started a new game in all three continents.

I haven't been able to find much about this, only this post on Steam with someone encountering the same issue (perhaps) in MM6, but without any replies: https://steamcommunity.com/app/243380/d ... 731571628/

Thanks again!

joanthedark
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby joanthedark » 06 Aug 2023, 17:51

Scoopser wrote: 06 Aug 2023, 16:15 Anyone have any ideas?
Looks like you've already exhausted most of the things you could try, but reading your post I only see mention software wise and not hardware, so it is worth a try testing with a different keyboard and see if the issue persists, because if it's also happening to you in vanilla MM8 sometimes that would seem to be a worthy thing to try.

Return to “Might and Magic”