The riddles in MM8 got me very surprised!

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
millionmilesaway
Peasant
Peasant

The riddles in MM8 got me very surprised!

Unread postby millionmilesaway » 04 Apr 2006, 18:10

I've never seen anything like it in any other game. There were three riddles, and depending how sharp-headed you are it can take a while solving them. I won't give you the answers since I didn't need them myself, so I don't think you will either. (The riddles look much like this, I corrected some though, since they were strangely written.)

What is it...
1. ....you serve to pay, you're not free to leave, but when you leave you are free?

2. ....you enter a room, and cannot take this with you, yet you left the door open when entering the room?

3. .....a moon colored box, that is supposed to be opened from the inside, protects the sun colored treasure of life?

(You don't need to answer the riddles, most know them)

I mentioned them so that some poeple won't be as chocked, and don't have to risk getting the riddles at midnight as I did. It gets you tired the next day! That's for sure! :D
Last edited by millionmilesaway on 04 Apr 2006, 19:21, edited 3 times in total.

Echo_
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Echo_ » 04 Apr 2006, 19:00

Yes, they were good riddles and a nice twist but I think a lot of us here have already beaten MM8. At least I have. So I won't spoil the fun for others by telling the answers.

Justice
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Justice » 04 Apr 2006, 19:13

I had just found the scrol with the answers when i went there :disagree: pretty anoying it wa :(

Lord13
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Lord13 » 05 Apr 2006, 12:07

I enjoy the riddles too, it's a good part of a rpg. Sorry to see that the new games ignore them so much thought
Every man dies...
Every beast dies...
Only heroes live forever!

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 05 Apr 2006, 15:37

I solved them quite quickly IIRC. The second one was the trickiest for me. BTW where exactly is the scroll with the clues? :o I never saw it.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 05 Apr 2006, 16:08

I always enjoyed the crossword dungeon in Xeen. Very cool puzzle, that.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Justice
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Justice » 05 Apr 2006, 17:25

Phobos wrote:I solved them quite quickly IIRC. The second one was the trickiest for me. BTW where exactly is the scroll with the clues? :o I never saw it.
In the library in Ravenshore.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 06 Apr 2006, 07:55

What I really like about those riddles are that they actually require you to figure out the answer by yourself- i.e. you don't automatically give you a list of possible answers to choose from like certain other games does. THere is of course that list of answers from ravenshore, but you're not forced to use it in any way, and it's also a very cool way of providing an aid for the solving of them without having to "break the fourth wall".
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

millionmilesaway
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby millionmilesaway » 08 Apr 2006, 15:53

Gaidal Cain wrote:What I really like about those riddles are that they actually require you to figure out the answer by yourself- i.e. you don't automatically give you a list of possible answers to choose from like certain other games does. THere is of course that list of answers from ravenshore, but you're not forced to use it in any way, and it's also a very cool way of providing an aid for the solving of them without having to "break the fourth wall".
Yeah, I missed the clues though, but the first question was kind of easy. The other two were quite confusing, they required more of the philosophical thinking! :P I liked the riddles too!

Return to “Might and Magic”