Post your most interesting Might and Magic challenges!

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie
Posts: 1362
Joined: 13 Mar 2007

Post your most interesting Might and Magic challenges!

Postby UndeadHalfOrc » Mar 20 2010, 23:13

This one I just coughed up, possibly the best one I haven't tried yet:

Create 4 sorcerers and assign each one a school, and name each one FIRE, WATER, AIR and EARTH.

Sell the 3 starting Flame Arrow/Fire Bolt books that WATER, AIR and EARTH sorcs started with because they are forbidden to cast spells not of their eponymous school, obviously. Nor can they cast the Torch Light spell they started with.

Should be fun. :)

It's up to you if you decide they are allowed to use dark and/or light magic or not.

This challenge can also be tried in MM8, if you create a Necro as starting character and hack 2 of the earliest characters into Necromancers (that Fredrick priest guy and the Vampire lady. Can easily be done with a save game editor, BTW)

User avatar
tolich
Spectre
Spectre
Posts: 745
Joined: 10 Jan 2009
Location: Minsk, Belarus

Postby tolich » Mar 21 2010, 5:30

I've finished MM9 with Godric the Human Priest, Rovena the Halforc Mage, Salazar the Elven Lich, and Helga the Dwarven Druid.
No much difference. They only cannot use blades or spears.

User avatar
Sure Valla
Swordsman
Swordsman
Posts: 587
Joined: 28 Mar 2009
Location: Celeste

Postby Sure Valla » Mar 21 2010, 9:21

mm6,mm7,mm8: Solo knight game (kill everyone exept one knight!)

mm6,mm7,mm8: Solol peasant game (kill everyone exept one knight and dont level him)

mm6: 4 Knights

mm7: 4 Rangers

mm8: solo Minotaur or Troll game (with or without leveling, i did without)
Last edited by Sure Valla on Apr 18 2013, 13:39, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
arturchix
Titan
Titan
Posts: 1352
Joined: 06 Jan 2006
Location: Latvia

Postby arturchix » Mar 21 2010, 12:45

mm6,mm7,mm8: Solol peasant game (kill everyone exept one knight and dont level him)

Aye, and with the editor nullify all stats, remove all equipment and start at level 0 - done that in MM6 and was loads of fun and challenge.

User avatar
tolich
Spectre
Spectre
Posts: 745
Joined: 10 Jan 2009
Location: Minsk, Belarus

Postby tolich » Mar 21 2010, 14:27

About solo... Have you visited the Arena playing solo, and have you managed to win on Knight or Lord level? I think it IS a challenge!

Jymbob
Peasant
Peasant
Posts: 71
Joined: 25 Jan 2010

Postby Jymbob » Mar 21 2010, 15:04

Sure Valla wrote: mm6,mm7,mm8: Solo knight game (kill everyone exept one knight!)

Done it, very challenging, but not so much that you have have to save and reload endless of times, which I hate.

Sure Valla wrote:mm6,mm7,mm8: Solol peasant game (kill everyone exept one knight and dont level him)

Dont see how this can be done, unless theres a lot of multilooting and reloading involved, in which case one merely cheats the game.

Sure Valla wrote:mm7: 4 Rangers

Done it (posted about it here a month ago), at some point it actually becomes a surprising easy game.

Soloing with level up is fun and challenging enough for me, I still need to do that with: sorcerer, ranger, druid and archer in MM7..

User avatar
arturchix
Titan
Titan
Posts: 1352
Joined: 06 Jan 2006
Location: Latvia

Postby arturchix » Mar 21 2010, 16:16

Jymbob wrote:
Sure Valla wrote:mm6,mm7,mm8: Solol peasant game (kill everyone exept one knight and dont level him)

Dont see how this can be done, unless theres a lot of multilooting and reloading involved, in which case one merely cheats the game.

Here's how I did it in MM6 - http://www.celestialheavens.com/forums/ ... .php?t=622

User avatar
Sure Valla
Swordsman
Swordsman
Posts: 587
Joined: 28 Mar 2009
Location: Celeste

Postby Sure Valla » Mar 21 2010, 16:35

arturchix i got the idea from you :-D

Jymbob
Peasant
Peasant
Posts: 71
Joined: 25 Jan 2010

Postby Jymbob » Mar 22 2010, 10:03

arturchix wrote:
Jymbob wrote:
Sure Valla wrote:mm6,mm7,mm8: Solol peasant game (kill everyone exept one knight and dont level him)

Dont see how this can be done, unless theres a lot of multilooting and reloading involved, in which case one merely cheats the game.

Here's how I did it in MM6 - http://www.celestialheavens.com/forums/ ... .php?t=622


Its been 10 years or so since I last played MM6 and 8 so I cant really remember that much of it, seems like a solo run level 0 is easier in those games though.
In MM7 a knight cant make black potion though, and no spells at all.
The only way I can think of is using Malwicks wand at Emerald Isle and kill the dragon, then spend the next 4 hours multilooting the crap outta him to get the best possible gear and loads of gold.
I actually did that once, but afterwards I felt I have cheated just as much as if I had simply edited the stuff to my Knight befroe starting the game..

User avatar
ShadowLiberal
Golem
Golem
Posts: 634
Joined: 27 Mar 2010
Location: Shadow Land

Postby ShadowLiberal » Mar 27 2010, 23:01

Jymbob wrote:
arturchix wrote:
Jymbob wrote:
Sure Valla wrote:mm6,mm7,mm8: Solol peasant game (kill everyone exept one knight and dont level him)

Dont see how this can be done, unless theres a lot of multilooting and reloading involved, in which case one merely cheats the game.

Here's how I did it in MM6 - http://www.celestialheavens.com/forums/ ... .php?t=622


Its been 10 years or so since I last played MM6 and 8 so I cant really remember that much of it, seems like a solo run level 0 is easier in those games though.
In MM7 a knight cant make black potion though, and no spells at all.
The only way I can think of is using Malwicks wand at Emerald Isle and kill the dragon, then spend the next 4 hours multilooting the crap outta him to get the best possible gear and loads of gold.
I actually did that once, but afterwards I felt I have cheated just as much as if I had simply edited the stuff to my Knight befroe starting the game..
Lacking the ability to make black potions isn't a big deal in M&M7 if you solo, you can just buy them at Deyja and Bracada with enough reloading outside the items shop.

As for challenge ideas.

-Go through the entire game as a pacifist, which means no even swinging your fists at enemies, or blasting enemies with fireballs, you can't do any killing yourself. (This IS possible in M&M7 when choosing the light path)

-A No Magic or No Might challenge, pick one of the two, that's all you're allowed to hurt enemies with. So either you'll have to kill enemies entirely by magic early on when you have weak spells and little MP to spare, or you'll have to deal with not having powerful magic later on.

-Solo the game as a Sorcerer who can only use their own Might to slay their enemies, No Magic.

User avatar
UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie
Posts: 1362
Joined: 13 Mar 2007

Postby UndeadHalfOrc » Mar 27 2010, 23:42

>>>Go through the entire game as a pacifist, which means no even swinging your fists at enemies, or blasting enemies with fireballs, you can't do any killing yourself. (This IS possible in M&M7 when choosing the light path)

Also means you're forced to use a Thief, or someone with the Stealing skill, because Tolberti won't just hand you the cube over.

User avatar
tolich
Spectre
Spectre
Posts: 745
Joined: 10 Jan 2009
Location: Minsk, Belarus

Postby tolich » Mar 28 2010, 5:35

MM7: impossible. How would you get rid of goblins without killing them?

Jymbob
Peasant
Peasant
Posts: 71
Joined: 25 Jan 2010

Postby Jymbob » Mar 28 2010, 13:14

tolich wrote:MM7: impossible. How would you get rid of goblins without killing them?


Not that I would ever do it but you can actually collect the pieces for the golem and let him do the job for you..

User avatar
ShadowLiberal
Golem
Golem
Posts: 634
Joined: 27 Mar 2010
Location: Shadow Land

Postby ShadowLiberal » Mar 28 2010, 14:01

tolich wrote:MM7: impossible. How would you get rid of goblins without killing them?
Get the golem pieces.

In the late game you can use light elements for quests where you have to kill someone (you're just calling in 'professional diplomats')

You can also use healing magic on others outside of your party, such as on guards who you lure enemies over to.

If you want to read how someone else did it then click on this link, it's where I got the idea.

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg/msg/a9c3e4fb68765b6d?pli=1

Another challenge idea, go through might and magic 7 without wearing any equipment for the entire game (except of course for the wetsuits).

User avatar
tolich
Spectre
Spectre
Posts: 745
Joined: 10 Jan 2009
Location: Minsk, Belarus

Postby tolich » Mar 28 2010, 14:24

tolich wrote:MM7: impossible. How would you get rid of goblins without killing them?

Jymbob wrote:Not that I would ever do it but you can actually collect the pieces for the golem and let him do the job for you..

ShadowLiberal wrote:Get the golem pieces...

Does it mean that the real pacifist never kills but hires a killer instead?
You cannot get rid of goblins without killing them, no matter you do it or someone else. That's not near pacifism. Yes, you will not collect the experience if your golem or light elementals do a dirty work for you, but you're still responsible for murder.

And you haven't mentioned Berserk, Enslave and Control Undead.

User avatar
koval321
War Dancer
War Dancer
Posts: 367
Joined: 20 Jan 2008

Postby koval321 » Mar 29 2010, 7:48

Create 4 sorcerers and assign each one a school, and name each one FIRE, WATER, AIR and EARTH.


I played MM 6-8 in this style, and its not challenge, in fact its most funny and easy way to finish game.

To play mm8 this way, use savegame mod which put all heroes to tavern (am not sure where it is to find now)

User avatar
Konfuzius
Pixie
Pixie
Posts: 125
Joined: 03 Jan 2009

Postby Konfuzius » Mar 29 2010, 9:57

MM7 with a single zombie knight on level 1 :devil:.

User avatar
UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie
Posts: 1362
Joined: 13 Mar 2007

Postby UndeadHalfOrc » Mar 29 2010, 14:51

koval321 wrote:
Create 4 sorcerers and assign each one a school, and name each one FIRE, WATER, AIR and EARTH.


I played MM 6-8 in this style, and its not challenge, in fact its most funny and easy way to finish game.

To play mm8 this way, use savegame mod which put all heroes to tavern (am not sure where it is to find now)


The other joinable necromancers start at a high level and with many way skill points. Bad idea.

You're better off editing the early game level 1 knight, level 1 cleric or level 1 vampire to be necromancers.

User avatar
Sure Valla
Swordsman
Swordsman
Posts: 587
Joined: 28 Mar 2009
Location: Celeste

Postby Sure Valla » Mar 29 2010, 17:16

Konfuzius wrote:MM7 with a single zombie knight on level 1 :devil:.


Imposible, you cant reanimate when everyone is dead!



Editing is the only way, but its not posilbe so its somekind of cheating, and cheating is bad mmmmkay.
Last edited by Sure Valla on Apr 17 2013, 19:56, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
koval321
War Dancer
War Dancer
Posts: 367
Joined: 20 Jan 2008

Postby koval321 » Mar 30 2010, 14:04

The other joinable necromancers start at a high level and with many way skill points. Bad idea.


No it put all of them to tavern with level 1
Maybe i will find later where this mod was, great stuff


Return to “Might and Magic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests