The Olympics Thread

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 15 Feb 2006, 22:02

Back on topic: I've been at work all day, so I didn't get to see anything on the telly. :(

The Norwegian Curling boys lost again - against Britain (3-6). They'll probably need to win their remaining 5 matches to make the semi finals. Our speed skaters, however, did well and are qualified for the semies. The girls in the same event had their games ruined by a fall.

The Olympics have been a real downer for us so far; we went in going for 7 gold medals, and so far we've got only one (though that one was unexpected). Several Norwegian athletes have problems with illness and have had to drop out of events... Man. Can't go skiing when you're sh***ing yourself...
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Veldrynus
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Veldrynus » 15 Feb 2006, 22:31

11 medals and only 1 gold. Sounds like a big dissapointment,
Veldryn 15:15 And Vel found a dirty old jawbone of a walrus and put forth his hand, and took it, and in his unholy rage, he slew thirty four thousand men and children therewith.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 15 Feb 2006, 22:38

No, not really, but several of our favourites have been knocked out by desease; like Marit Bjorgen who had to stop in the middle of a race.. Like our combined (jumping + cross country) team, who had to drop out because three quarters of the team got sick.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 16 Feb 2006, 12:34

Ethric wrote:Anyway, olympics... Marit Bjørgen is well again...
Congratulation for silver medal... B-)

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Plushenko Goes Gold!

Unread postby HodgePodge » 17 Feb 2006, 06:13

Like there was any doubt, Russian Skater, Yevgney Plushenko, won the Gold Medal in Men's Figure Skating. Way to go, Yevgeny! :)

Men's Figure Skate:
Full Results:

RUS: PLUSHENKO: 258.33
SUI: LAMBIEL: 231.21
CAN: BUTTLE: 227.59
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 17 Feb 2006, 10:41

15 km men classical cross country - best Norwegian 17th? OMG 8| something must be really wrong

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 17 Feb 2006, 13:06

Yes, it is currently being called "Olympic blunder of all time" in our newspapers. It was a BIG mistake by the guys who prepare the skis.

Vlad976

Unread postby Vlad976 » 17 Feb 2006, 18:00

Simmons: I think you’re asking me if these computers store all the data on Red and Blue armies?
Sarge: Control Alt Bingo.

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 18 Feb 2006, 04:03

Well, that happened.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 18 Feb 2006, 13:54

In the Biathlon, the Norwegians made a great start, catching the leader after only one (of four) rounds. On the second round, however, their shooting was bad and they fell behind again.

Our three runners are now 2nd, 3rd and 5th; the Frenchman Defrasne leads.

UPDATE: Our two front runners are now way behind, but our most merited (Bjoerndalen) is in the lead! :-D

UPDATE: The Frenchman won. :( Another silver for us, which is great, considering Bjoerndalen started way back in the field. But, hey! When are we going to get some gold!? We aimed for 7! We've got only one!

Hoping for a gold in the big hill tonight...

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 18 Feb 2006, 14:36

Relax, there will be one more gold, theres something that I just know, we have a few more chances with our best to catch one. But hey silver isnt bad either, its not as valuable or shows nr.1 but its prettier and shows that we have tried our best!

Its not the winning that is important but that you have participated and done your best ;)

It could have been worse, we could had 13+ bronze :devious:

Crossing fingers for Kjetil Andre Aamot, he got to take gold :tsup:

gravyluvr
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby gravyluvr » 18 Feb 2006, 15:26

Kalah wrote:Yes, it is currently being called "Olympic blunder of all time" in our newspapers. It was a BIG mistake by the guys who prepare the skis.
They should never have put glue on the skis instead of wax?
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
If I were a flower, I'd be a really big flame-throwing flower with five heads.

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 18 Feb 2006, 17:54

Hahaha!!!

I knew it!! Kjetil Andre Aamot took GOLD in super-g, giant slalom!!!! :-D :D :tsup:

Now we have 2 gold along with Canada :D :handshake:

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 19 Feb 2006, 21:38

Heheheeee...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/o ... index.html

Well, here we are, aiming for 7 gold medals, and so far, we haven't won gold in any of the events we thought we'd win, and we've won two gold in events we didn't think we'd win. :-D

Aamodt's skiing has been abysmal the last year, and he was not considered a favourite. I guess that's what seperates legends from the talents; the fact that they always perform when it's time for the Big One..

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 20 Feb 2006, 20:33

The Norwegian ski jumping team took the bronze in the big hill. Poor performance by one jumper, Tommy Ingebrigtsen, is said to be much of the cause of why we weren't higher on the list. The hill record was broken by our best man, and set henceforth to 141m.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 23 Feb 2006, 14:29

The Canadian women beat Norway 11-5 in curling and win the bronze.

And Cindy Klassen is the coolest person on earth.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 25 Feb 2006, 10:14

Well, last day, and another bronze for us in the biathlon.

We've already given up all hopes to have a good Olympics, papers all over the country are dejected and we're all wondering what the devil went wrong. Personally, I think the media has given a distorted picture of our opposition; the fact that we've been unable to dominate in any events at all suggests there's nothing wrong with our athletes, but that the other guys are just better than we thought. I think it's a little of both. We've had great many difficulties, and on top of that, the foreigners are better than ever.

I am quite unimpressed with the games themselves; the Italians didn't seem to care much about the fact that they had the Olympic Games right on their doorstep, and the games' infrastructure and execution have been rather poor. I say give the Olympics back to the Norwegians... :D

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 25 Feb 2006, 10:22

Agree :D

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 25 Feb 2006, 12:11

Kalah wrote: the fact that we've been unable to dominate in any events at all suggests there's nothing wrong with our athletes, but that the other guys are just better than we thought. I think it's a little of both. We've had great many difficulties, and on top of that, the foreigners are better than ever.
Wrong strategy of using sportsmen energy throughout the season? I think many (not only norwegians) performed worst than expected due to wasting ressources at wrong time...

Suleman
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Suleman » 26 Feb 2006, 17:43

So, umm... Finland lost tonight in Ice Hockey...

But they did get a silver medal.
"Yes, but what about David Beckham and the magic mushroom?"

I'm baaaaaack!

Return to “Campfire”