Heroes V Lore Discussion *Spoiler*

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Odolwa
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Odolwa » 05 Jul 2006, 15:28

ThunderTitan wrote:Now someone post a pics of the beta Isabel. :D
Yes please, would love to see that! ;)

I have another question: How could the Heart of the Griffin work on The Four Heroes, when it was made to only banish demons?

And am I the only one that's confused about the fact that both Isabel and The Four Heroes have no mounts when they are transported to Sheogh,
but when they arrive they are suddenly there? ;|

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 05 Jul 2006, 15:44

Odolwa wrote:
ThunderTitan wrote:Now someone post a pics of the beta Isabel. :D
Yes please, would love to see that! ;)

I have another question: How could the Heart of the Griffin work on The Four Heroes, when it was made to only banish demons?

And am I the only one that's confused about the fact that both Isabel and The Four Heroes have no mounts when they are transported to Sheogh,
Not only horses, elephants and lizards, but also huge armies as well ;)

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 05 Jul 2006, 15:54

Odolwa wrote: 2. As I understand, Raelag and Agrael are the same being. But which of his forms is his true identity?
I have come to the conclusion that it probably is Raelag, since it was impossible for Nicolai to banish Agrael back to Sheogh when he used the Heart of the Griffin.
I would gladly have this confirmed though.
In my humble opinion :) I think he was probably born a Dark Elf but somehow got seduced into working for the Demon Soverign. See, he still perfers riding a lizard, like any true Dark Elf from Ashan. Tieru could see Agrael's true heart, even through his spiky armor and thus knew Agrael would be willing to change back to himself.
Bandobras Took wrote: Given what we know about Markal and Fiona, are we entirely sure that he's Alexei's son and not Markal's?
Ooooh, that's something to consider as Markal wasn't always a Lich, was he? I sure at some point in his pathetic life he had the ability to … um, err, well you know …
Odolwa wrote: I have another question: How could the Heart of the Griffin work on The Four Heroes, when it was made to only banish demons?

I thought I was the only one who wondered about these gaping holes in the plot. :-D
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 05 Jul 2006, 15:57

HodgePodge wrote:
Bandobras Took wrote: Given what we know about Markal and Fiona, are we entirely sure that he's Alexei's son and not Markal's?
Ooooh, that's something to consider as Markal wasn't always a Lich, was he? I sure at some point in his pathetic life he had the ability to … um, err, well you know …
Actually Markal was never a Lich. It is said in his background : "Markal has risen to the highest heights that one can achieve among the Necromancers -- while still being alive."

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 05 Jul 2006, 16:04

Odolwa wrote:I have another question: How could the Heart of the Griffin work on The Four Heroes, when it was made to only banish demons?
Well, it obviously could create portals to Sheogh. Zehir then must either have manipulated it to make him and the others appear to be demon, or to lift that requirement somehow.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 05 Jul 2006, 17:35

HodgePodge wrote:Tieru could see Agrael's true heart, even through his spiky armor and thus knew Agrael would be willing to change back to himself.
A back-stabing blood thirsty dark elf?

Oh, and as none of you bothered:

Last edited by ThunderTitan on 05 Jul 2006, 17:44, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 05 Jul 2006, 17:39

Marzhin wrote: Actually Markal was never a Lich. It is said in his background : "Markal has risen to the highest heights that one can achieve among the Necromancers -- while still being alive."
Ahh haa, so it's entirely possible that Nicolai is Markal's son … maybe that'll be the next turn of the plot in the expansion(s). Then we'll find out that Isabel is really Nicolai's twin sister and Markal is their father. Now where have I heard that story before????? All Markal needs to do is trade in his staff for a Light Saber. ;|

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 05 Jul 2006, 18:20

Marzhin wrote:Not only horses, elephants and lizards, but also huge armies as well ;)
Its a nifty little feature known as the hero chaining.Its what separates heroes from ordinary people :devil:

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 05 Jul 2006, 22:05

HodgePodge wrote:Then we'll find out that Isabel is really Nicolai's twin sister and Markal is their father.
Maybe Isabel ought to be thankful of Agrael then...
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

juventas
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby juventas » 05 Jul 2006, 22:43

DaemianLucifer wrote:
Marzhin wrote:Not only horses, elephants and lizards, but also huge armies as well ;)
Its a nifty little feature known as the hero chaining.Its what separates heroes from ordinary people :devil:
If they never had their armies with them, then, since heroes can't die, it would have been an automatic win!

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 05 Jul 2006, 22:47

ThunderTitan wrote:
HodgePodge wrote:Tieru could see Agrael's true heart, even through his spiky armor and thus knew Agrael would be willing to change back to himself.
A back-stabing blood thirsty dark elf?
Yes, :-D … and who also talks like a sissy.
ThunderTitan wrote: Oh, and as none of you bothered:
Isabel really took a turn for the ugly, didn't she?

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 06 Jul 2006, 00:24

HodgePodge wrote: Isabel really took a turn for the ugly, didn't she?
Guess they wanted to spare Orfinn the suffering. :devil:
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 06 Jul 2006, 08:26

ThunderTitan wrote: Guess they wanted to spare Orfinn the suffering. :devil:
Glad they did :devious:

Oh, and why not use the old portrait of Isabel and mix up a hidden sister of hers? And call her Isabella or Bella? The queen Isabels good hearted and kind sister, oh what a nice plot twist that would be and the consequenses for the story would be even more interesting. Like in the final Bella and Isabel could take a final duel against each other, Bella kill her twisted sister and saves the kingdom :) The old portrait is just too beautiful to be forgotten :butterfly:

Sikon
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Sikon » 06 Jul 2006, 09:46

*Writes it down for the novelization* :)
Seriously though, do you think Isabel should die at the end of the novelization or survive? Maybe be redeemed?

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 06 Jul 2006, 10:26

Sikon wrote:Seriously though, do you think Isabel should die at the end of the novelization or survive? Maybe be redeemed?
I think the last chapter should contain a certain half-vori elf and barbarian, with their swords. :devious:

Sikon
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Sikon » 06 Jul 2006, 10:49

In Ashan? o_O
Do you really hate Ashan so much?

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 06 Jul 2006, 10:59

Sikon wrote: Do you really hate Ashan so much?
Meh... hate implies it can stir emotion in me.

Odolwa
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Odolwa » 06 Jul 2006, 11:53

Sikon wrote:Seriously though, do you think Isabel should die at the end of the novelization or survive? Maybe be redeemed?
I have hard to imagine she will be redeemed (Zehir already tried it, without success).
Isabel is probably too twisted, tainted and evil for a cure to work on her.
And also, in my opinion, she doesn't deserve to be redeemed after all she's done.

She reminds me of Arthas in Warcraft III, and that is not a compliment ^^

Meandor
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Meandor » 06 Jul 2006, 11:59

Here goes my little rant about some heroes, story, lore and few other things.

Isabel- from intro and map 1 it seems that she love Nicolai, but when the peasants refuse to help her and when Nicolai dies she looks more like a power-hungry. Later her main reason to raise Nicolai is that lords of the empire doesn`t want her as a ruler, but if she had no problem to butcher peasants then where is the problem in butchering lords? Again it seems that after all she loves him and doesn`t care much about empire. She would be medicore character, but at the end she managed to say "hey", that totaly ruined her...

Godric- he promised Nicolai to protect Isabel, but when she wants to ressurect Nicolai he betrays her. Later Isable allows Malkar to kill his doughter, but he doesn`t care about that and later on serves Isabel again. What can we say about him? Stupid.

Agrael- From this forum it seems that majority of the gamers think that Isabel is one of the worst characters, but imho Agrael is far more retarted than Isabel . How dark elf with demonic taint fell in love with human is beyond me. And how he was looking after her for some time? I don`t remember that demons/dark elfs were allowed in the empire. We could say that he changed his form like Biara, but then why he didin`t changed his form while traveling to Tieru? He was working with Biara for some time, but she managed to trick him few times while players after few days of playing saw that coming :disagree: and from his design/voice/actions it is clear that he was supposed to be badass hero :disagree: Most shocked i was when he said something about saving the world, wtf? Demonic dark elf speaking about world saving? :disagree:

Biara- one of the stupidiest "undercover agent" i have ever seen in games, but she got lucky, her victims are retards.

Tieru- he is retard number 1 in this game. He asked Agrael to visit him, but why he didin`t arenged safe travel for Agrael? He enjoys pain of his brothers?

Markal- he would be tipical necromancer, but he failed. He didin`t brought Cyrus back to life as a undead servant :disagree:

Findan- he is probably smartest character. He wanted to leave Isabel in demon world. Seriously, wtf? She was queen for how long? Few months? And managed to cause such a disaster, i could understand why Agrael wants to save her, but Godric? Zehir?

Storytelling imho is very personalized. Most of the time it`s not about factions or better tomorow but about selfish heroes. Yet it fails to create interesting and logical characters so story isin`t as interesting as it could be.

World itself is built on very cliched(?) and shity idea which was very popular in j-rpg. Every x amount of years a great evil emerges from the depth of hell/earth/universe and brave heroes have to save world/universe from them and defeat them in spectacular battle. Ofcourse it can`t be defeated, only banished and after another x amount of years it will reapear and yet another great heroes will have to save universe from them. Also dark forces try to make that x as small as they can so heroes often have to face various "messiahs" of dark forces. Probably new hero in dark messiah will be called chosen one or something like that. Maybe they`ll manage to keep such epic shit out of Homm series and you`ll have to save world only in action or rpg M&M games, but i doubt.

sylvanllewelyn
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby sylvanllewelyn » 08 Jul 2006, 01:24

One of the faults of traditional storytelling is the lack of character development on the part of the evil villian. However, once writers begin to explore how evil villians are developed, they found out that it all goes back to the age-old idea that circumstances and upbringing are what causes someone to be evil. Most people will do exactly the same thing given the villian's situation, or even under less coercing situations. Otherwise we won't have the Holocaust.

I'm not saying the villian should be left alone as a result. I'm just saying that the H5 story is trying to say that Isabel, in her background and circumstances, started doing crazy things, so she needs to be stopped. No good, no evil, just a person that needs to be stopped somehow, by other self-interested parties, also devoid of good or evil. The only "good" and "evil" seems to be Tieru or the demon soverign, but even they seem to be rather powerless when things don't turn out as planned.

H5's storyline was very badly executed, but the direction is definitely one that future games should follow.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”