Do you miss stronghold?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

Do you miss "stronghold"?

Yes, loved that town
67%
Dont care if they are in the game or not
19%
No, never played as them anyway
15%

Total votes: 117

gravyluvr
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby gravyluvr » 29 May 2006, 17:38

ThunderTitan wrote:How about just Wolf/Warg. They could have Rabies Bite as a special. A chance to Berserk the target.
Giant Cyclops
Nominating. You know for what. Also proposing Tiny Dwarf.
Now now...

I understand if you take the Cyclops as "Any of the three one-eyed Titans who forged thunderbolts for Zeus." and further define "Any of a race of one-eyed giants, reputedly descended from these Titans, inhabiting the island of Sicily" as a broader definition, but if you use "an individual abnormal in having a single eye or the usual two orbits fused" then you can use the Greek mythology as the upgrade.

Cyclops is not synonymous with Giant. It is one of the definitions.

Also... H5 uses different sized creatures, so why shouldn't the upgrade be larger?
Last edited by Anonymous on 29 May 2006, 18:00, edited 1 time in total.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
If I were a flower, I'd be a really big flame-throwing flower with five heads.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 29 May 2006, 17:47

gravyluvr wrote: I understand if you take the Cyclops as "Any of the three one-eyed Titans who forged thunderbolts for Zeus." and further define "Any of a race of one-eyed giants, reputedly descended from these Titans, inhabiting the island of Sicily" as a broader definition, but if you use "an individual abnormal in having a single eye or the usual two orbits fused" then you can use the Greek mythology as the upgrade.
First: The original Cyclops aren't Titans. They were sons of Gaia and Uranus, like the Titans, but not Titans. The other sons of Gaia and Uranus were the Gigantes and Hecantohires (not sure about spelling). They were all huge, but were different in other things (one eye, 100 hands, ). It's the Titans that were normal sized.

Second: The second Cyclops were gigantic, as per the Odissey.

No small Cyclops existed. You can't just make them small.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

gravyluvr
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby gravyluvr » 29 May 2006, 18:03

ThunderTitan wrote:
gravyluvr wrote: I understand if you take the Cyclops as "Any of the three one-eyed Titans who forged thunderbolts for Zeus." and further define "Any of a race of one-eyed giants, reputedly descended from these Titans, inhabiting the island of Sicily" as a broader definition, but if you use "an individual abnormal in having a single eye or the usual two orbits fused" then you can use the Greek mythology as the upgrade.
First: The original Cyclops aren't Titans. They were sons of Gaia and Uranus, like the Titans, but not Titans. The other sons of Gaia and Uranus were the Gigantes and Hecantohires (not sure about spelling). They were all huge, but were different in other things (one eye, 100 hands, ). It's the Titans that were normal sized.

Second: The second Cyclops were gigantic, as per the Odissey.

No small Cyclops existed. You can't just make them small.
You misunderstand. I don't mean to make the Cyclops small. I mean to make the upgrade even larger.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 29 May 2006, 18:07

ThunderTitan wrote: No small Cyclops existed. You can't just make them small.
Of course you can!There never were subterenian dark elves,but yet we have the drow now.There are predefined rules,sure,but some can be stretched.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 29 May 2006, 18:48

DaemianLucifer wrote:!There never were subterenian dark elves,but yet we have the drow now.
WRONG. In actual Norse myths there seems to be very little difference between Dwarfs and DE's. The diff name might even be a mistake in translations. And like all mishapen things DE's lived underground.

@gravyluvr

A Giant Giant?! Needs more cowbell. And a better name.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 29 May 2006, 19:02

ThunderTitan wrote: WRONG. In actual Norse myths there seems to be very little difference between Dwarfs and DE's. The diff name might even be a mistake in translations. And like all mishapen things DE's lived underground. .
Those were dwarves,not the elves we know today.They were just called different.Oh,and that another thing:Dwarves were just a kind of a fairy folk,not a species for themselves.And the trolls were both tiny and gigantic.Whichever we use one can argue its not a real troll.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 29 May 2006, 19:11

.And the trolls were both tiny and gigantic.
Then you can use both.

And Dwarves were different in norse myth. All the others ur refering to had different names, people just noticed the similarities and equated them.

gravyluvr
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby gravyluvr » 29 May 2006, 19:27

ThunderTitan wrote:
DaemianLucifer wrote:!There never were subterenian dark elves,but yet we have the drow now.
WRONG. In actual Norse myths there seems to be very little difference between Dwarfs and DE's. The diff name might even be a mistake in translations. And like all mishapen things DE's lived underground.

@gravyluvr

A Giant Giant?! Needs more cowbell. And a better name.
Oversized Cyclops?

:o)

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 29 May 2006, 19:40

XXL Cyclops. Or Big Boned Cyclops. ;)

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 29 May 2006, 19:49

DaemianLucifer wrote:Those were dwarves,not the elves we know today.They were just called different.Oh,and that another thing:Dwarves were just a kind of a fairy folk,not a species for themselves.

While it's true that boundaries between ddifferent mythological creatures weren't all that well-defined, Dwarves seem pretty consistent in being highly skilled smiths living underground. One could not equate a dwarf with a lightelf, for example. Dwarves and the Jotuns have different origins from humans (Dwarves were made out of the worms eating Ymer's flesh, Jotuns came directly from Ymer, Humans were created out of driftwood by the gods).
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Entreri
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Entreri » 06 Jun 2006, 20:48

stronghold ftw :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
A man with feelings is a weak man-Artemis Entreri

wolf8t8t
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Bring back barbarian!

Unread postby wolf8t8t » 07 Jun 2006, 01:05

:D Crag was the man period! I can even name off a list of creatures for you..... It's plain and simple but face it there really was nothing wrong with barbarian from homm 3. They were an excellent unit.

Of as always Goblins at level one, followed by some kind of upgrade for them....

Level 2 instead of goblins riding wolves... why not goblins riding cave spiders?

Level 3 Centaurs work for me. Give them back their bows of course.

Level 4 Orges and mages. Don't mess with a classic.

Level 5 I like rocs and thunder birds here.

Level 6 Cyclops of course

Level 7 and Behemoths..

Now I know everyone has an opinion so let it rip.

ttyl

Wolf

I would really like to

soupnazii
Genie
Genie

Re: Bring back barbarian!

Unread postby soupnazii » 07 Jun 2006, 01:19

wolf8t8t wrote::D Crag was the man period! I can even name off a list of creatures for you..... It's plain and simple but face it there really was nothing wrong with barbarian from homm 3. They were an excellent unit.

Of as always Goblins at level one, followed by some kind of upgrade for them....

Level 2 instead of goblins riding wolves... why not goblins riding cave spiders?

Level 3 Centaurs work for me. Give them back their bows of course.

Level 4 Orges and mages. Don't mess with a classic.

Level 5 I like rocs and thunder birds here.

Level 6 Cyclops of course

Level 7 and Behemoths..

Now I know everyone has an opinion so let it rip.

ttyl

Wolf

I would really like to

first of all: i dont get it, you would really like to what....?

second- of course the H3 barbarian town would be great with only a few differences, but thats exactly what they did with the academy- same as H3 Tower minus nagas. they couldnt get away with that twice, people would be calling them unoriginal and stuff. there has to be something new and revolutionary in there, thats never been in the barbarian town before. cave spiders might work i guess, but wouldnt make sense since the Necros worshipp spiders. unless they have some sort of an alliance, which doesnt seem likely....

cornellian
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby cornellian » 07 Jun 2006, 03:00

I, for one, would love to see them come back as a faction.. They were always the enemy I feared most in campaigns, scenarios and multiplayer in all HoMMs, especially terrorizing everyone in HoMM IV.

But a good barbarian town wouldn't be whole without a great score.. Something very sad but powerful at the same time, something like their scores in HoMM II and IV...

A quick and admittedly rather bland suggestion for units would be:

level1: wild dogs/ wild boars (fast moving, fast dropping)
level2: goblins (a little sturdy but slower)
level3: orcs (shooter with no melee penalty)
level4: ogres (slow moving with upgrade to ogremage)
level5: rocs / trolls (as in HoMM II rocs, or trolls with similar upgrades)
level6: frost giants / rocs (giants might have freezing breath, slow but tough)
level7: behemoths / frost giants (behemoths as in HoMM III, easier to kill and get killed)

Darkstroem
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Darkstroem » 07 Jun 2006, 14:44

cornellian wrote: level2: goblins (a little sturdy but slower)
That wouldn't match the goblins from Dark Messiah. BTW, your proposal is not bad.

cata00789
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby cata00789 » 10 Jun 2006, 22:10

i loved the trolls in H2. that magic ball dealt serious damage
if they bring the barbarians back, i hope they won't go all might like in H4
This is just a moment in time. Step aside and let it happen

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 10 Jun 2006, 22:25

cata00789 wrote: if they bring the barbarians back, i hope they won't go all might like in H4
Seeing as you don't need any skills to get lvl 1&2 spells i doubt they will.

But if they had MR as a faction skill it could work. But then again that would be braking the Rule.

soupnazii
Genie
Genie

Unread postby soupnazii » 10 Jun 2006, 22:54

they would probably do like in H#, with a limited magic guild onl going up to level 3. part of their faction skill might include the ability to learn level 3 spells, but restrict them from any higher spell level. they would also be restricted to "basic" of all magic schools.

soupnazii
Genie
Genie

Unread postby soupnazii » 10 Jun 2006, 22:55

cata00789 wrote:i loved the trolls in H2. that magic ball dealt serious damage
they can find other thing to deal serious damage that dont have to do with magic...

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 10 Jun 2006, 23:00

soupnazii wrote:
cata00789 wrote:i loved the trolls in H2. that magic ball dealt serious damage
they can find other thing to deal serious damage that dont have to do with magic...
Funny, I always considered that to be a round rock. Not magic at all.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”