The Black Dragon

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Paffka
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

The Black Dragon

Unread postby Paffka » 06 Jun 2006, 09:25

Is the Black Dragon strong enough?Is he like the Dragons in Heroes III,IV?Is he still the best unit in the game?

nosfe
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby nosfe » 06 Jun 2006, 12:54

they made the lvl7 units much more even than in the other games, so there is no best lvl7 unit imo

Wolfshanze
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby Wolfshanze » 06 Jun 2006, 13:50

I think he's still the best level-7 unit in the game, but not by the same margin he used to be... also, he dropped considerably in usefulness, because his "magical immunity" doesn't apply to his own spellcasting warlock heroes (or enemy warlocks).

The Black Dragon has magical immunity in name alone, because he's quite susceptible to all maner of warlock spells with irrisistable magic, including his own warlocks chain lightning and armageddon spells... which REALLY LOWERS the value of the Black Dragon.

Jimmpi
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Jimmpi » 06 Jun 2006, 15:08

What`?!? Is the black dragon not have 100% magical immunity??.
That sucks!! :mad: That was one of the reason they where so great in heroes III and IV

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 06 Jun 2006, 15:15

A total bummer, an collision between racial skill and black dragon on its best :devious:

cornellian
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby cornellian » 06 Jun 2006, 15:21

I disagree, many times I was frustrated of not being able to buff or especially revive them in previous games.. And as getting another warlock for an enemy seems to be not very likely, I'd say they are more useful this time for the most part..

At least now they are not insanely expensive as they were in HoMM IV...

5il3nc3r
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby 5il3nc3r » 06 Jun 2006, 15:37

Jimmpi wrote:What`?!? Is the black dragon not have 100% magical immunity??.
That sucks!! :mad: That was one of the reason they where so great in heroes III and IV
The black dragon does have magical immunity, however, the warlock's special ability lowers any magical immunity to a mere magical resistance.

Sucks indeed

5il
The pen is deadlier than the sword;
if the pen is very sharp and the sword very short.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 06 Jun 2006, 15:39

cornellian wrote:I disagree, many times I was frustrated of not being able to buff or especially revive them in previous games.. And as getting another warlock for an enemy seems to be not very likely, I'd say they are more useful this time for the most part..
Sure they are.... especialy since the enemy can use spells on them too. Stupid Bug.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Wolfshanze
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby Wolfshanze » 06 Jun 2006, 15:47

Also, they are not quite the unstoppable tanks they used to be... in H3, a single Black Dragon could dominate a map... now, a mid to high-level Demon Lord or Knight hero can drop a Black Dragon with a single direct attack, even if his army couldn't harm the dragon.

Not sure if you consider that a good or bad thing, but they are much weaker overall then they used to be... still, I think the Black Dragons are the single most powerful 7-level unit in H5.

cornellian
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby cornellian » 06 Jun 2006, 16:11

Wolfshanze wrote:now, a mid to high-level Demon Lord or Knight hero can drop a Black Dragon with a single direct attack, even if his army couldn't harm the dragon.
That I agree, the whole new Hero damage thing just doesn't make sense to me.. My level 25+ hero can kill a Black Dragon in a hit, but can't kill 10 imps? I'd really like to see the equation which this damage is calculated.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 06 Jun 2006, 17:07

cornellian wrote:That I agree, the whole new Hero damage thing just doesn't make sense to me.. My level 25+ hero can kill a Black Dragon in a hit, but can't kill 10 imps? I'd really like to see the equation which this damage is calculated.
Here you go.Nebs found aproximately how it works.

Paffka
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Paffka » 06 Jun 2006, 18:16

I think the black dragons are not so usefull like they were before in HOMM 3,4.It is stupid not to have 100% magic resistance and to be killed by a single shoot from a hero.

Purple Sky
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Purple Sky » 06 Jun 2006, 18:21

Paffka wrote:I think the black dragons are not so usefull like they were before in HOMM 3,4.It is stupid not to have 100% magic resistance and to be killed by a single shoot from a hero.
Its unlikely that by the time you get black dragons an enemy hero is going to waste his turn by attacking directly. That would be foolish.

Wolfshanze
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby Wolfshanze » 06 Jun 2006, 18:26

Purple Sky wrote: Its unlikely that by the time you get black dragons an enemy hero is going to waste his turn by attacking directly. That would be foolish.
Not if it's a MIGHT hero like a Knight or Demon Lord. It's biggest contribution to the battlefield (besides the inherant stat boosts for his troops) may well be a direct attack, which is more damaging then a spell.

As for the "waste his turn" thing, I just played a scenario where I had a Black Dragon of mine killed by the enemy (AI) Demon Lord hero who just ran up and killed him in a direct attack when his army was waaaaay too weak to kill my Dragon... it was kinda upsetting.

cornellian
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby cornellian » 06 Jun 2006, 18:46

DaemianLucifer wrote: Here you go.Nebs found aproximately how it works.
Thanks DL, now it makes sense why Nival doesn't make any sense...

Paffka
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Paffka » 06 Jun 2006, 18:53

Guys you are speaking about haven heroes.I have played with the cavalary master and I think he is the best,because with 22 paladins i have killed 15 black dragons with a single attack.But are there any necros,wich are making something better for the dragons???

Jimmpi
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Jimmpi » 06 Jun 2006, 19:56

:disagree:
I have played many hour heroes III and IV(mostly) and when I see a black dragon I'm always goes :scared:
In my opinion a black dragon should be 100% magic resistance and more powerfull then the rest..like in heroes IV,,more expensive and lower weekly growth but more powerfull

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 06 Jun 2006, 19:56

Wolfshanze wrote:Also, they are not quite the unstoppable tanks they used to be... in H3, a single Black Dragon could dominate a map...
That was of course the case for most level 7 units in H3. I'm pleased they've been nerfed a bit so that the rest of the army matters more.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Paffka
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Paffka » 06 Jun 2006, 20:00

It is to complicated.When someone has played more H3 than H4 he thinks different then,for exmaple me,because I've played more H4.And the dragons in H4 were. :hoo: .You can defeat almost everything when you recruit the first one.

Wolfshanze
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby Wolfshanze » 06 Jun 2006, 20:02

Gaidal Cain wrote:
Wolfshanze wrote:Also, they are not quite the unstoppable tanks they used to be... in H3, a single Black Dragon could dominate a map...
That was of course the case for most level 7 units in H3. I'm pleased they've been nerfed a bit so that the rest of the army matters more.
There's such a thing as nerfing them too much... now a stack of imps or pixies is almost as powerful as a dragon. Something just not right with that thought.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”