What is version 1.60 like for HOMM V vanilla?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
cjlee
Spectre
Spectre

What is version 1.60 like for HOMM V vanilla?

Unread postby cjlee » 16 Apr 2012, 19:42

Hi

I want to replay Heroes V (years after I played earlier, buggier versions).

FOr some reason I can't find any list of the changes that were made. Do the skill wheels still work? What changes were made?

ShadowLiberal
Golem
Golem

Unread postby ShadowLiberal » 16 Apr 2012, 21:50

The skill wheel on the main site is for TOTE, not the original and HOF. You can view the skill requirements at this below link.

http://www.heroesofmightandmagic.com/he ... ties.shtml

Other then some bug fixes, I can't really think of anything all that different in newer patches of the original Heroes 5.

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 10 Jul 2012, 03:17

I played the original H5 and didn't like it. I was wondering if ToTE made the game of higher calibur (like H2&3) and if I should give it a shot since H6 doesn't seem like its going anywhere?

markkur
Demon
Demon

Unread postby markkur » 10 Jul 2012, 14:35

From what I have read over the last two years. most folks think TotE made H5 a good game. I didn't like the original either and also didn't bother to play HoF much. There are some folks like myself that think TotE 3.1 is the best HoMM game to date. I'm no campaigner since my H3 days so I can't comment but most opinions about the story etc. are rather lukewarm.

Fyi, I like larger single maps and could not play them (turn-times seemed hours not minutes) until getting Quantomas' latest A.I. patch. It's kept me playing and making maps, where otherwise I would have been long gone.

Give TotE a shot and then try the A.I. too.

Datau
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Datau » 10 Jul 2012, 16:22

If you were to buy TOE, you might want to have a look at Sfidanza's excellent "play with your TOE" mod.
Basically, it allows you to play the original campaigns and the HOF expansion with only TOE installed.

A link for anyone who might be interested:
viewtopic.php?t=8227

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 11 Jul 2012, 02:23

Thanks Mark, that really helped me out. :) Do you guys know anything about this and offer any insight?

http://www.bonddisc.com/ref/h5/

markkur
Demon
Demon

Unread postby markkur » 11 Jul 2012, 14:26

@Datau

Thanks for sharing the link, I didn't know it had been made; Danza and nearly all of the mappers/modders of the community had already moved on by the time I arrived.

@mr.hackcrag
Do you guys know anything about this and offer any insight?
I better :D I've supported Quantomas since the first release of his A.I.

Using the mod is simple; just D/L the files and follow the directions. The most recent is "J". .

Quantomas is "gifted-programmer" that currently is working nealy stand-alone. <imo> If he can get sponsered...the TBS game-world will evolve to an awesome experience. Compare the old H5 A.I. with "J" and you'll get a hint of what I mean. His final efforts will be a milestone for TBS.

When he started out with the H5 mod/patch @CH & HC, he and many gamers hoped for big community support but unfortunately he's only had minor-support; like myself with my maps and a few others that are trying to help. The Baron is currently working on the story of E.E., Nitramar is exploring music, SKPRIMUS keeps issues sorted out, and Gibblets and I work on maps and battle-tests, trying to offer up some entertainment while the work is on-going.

"Q" considers his current offering "only a prototype" but my experience playing has merited a higher opinion. :D At the current design-stage, it is a awesome defensively-minded A.I. that will challenge the H5 player to be far more offensive. I discovered I was very defensively minded.<L>

There are some bugs etc.that remain from the final (3.1) game (it still had many that were not fixed before they left for H6) but they are trivial to me with the much faster turns and better A.I. challenge. Fyi, I had just completed a Middle-Earth map (impossible-sized) and the old game could not handle it. Just when I was about to do like all before me and leave the game or resort to only "normal" maps.... his work appeared. I gave it a go and could play the M.E. map as good and often better, than the smaller maps from the old game.

At present, with the lack of community involvement, he has had to focus on the future of his own game's mechanics (Eternal Essence) and therefore has retreated from the "time-cost" of the forums and the previous H5 releases of last year.

You can go to the "community" with all your questions, most will have already been answered. Since his time is short, most questions are handled by the help. :D

http://forum.eternal-essence.com/

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 14 Jul 2012, 18:00

So do you think that the H5 A.I. is the best of the series with the mod? The pdf mentions mostly A.I. changes, but have there been anoy other modifications?

For example, I used to read how the upgrade choices were one sided since one was always better.

Also, is the new magic system currently in place or will that be added later?

markkur
Demon
Demon

Unread postby markkur » 15 Jul 2012, 14:51

It's best to eval it yourself. There are no mods other than concerning game set-up. Taxes, A.I. starting bonus and duration, Artifacts guarded etc.

Some Mods are not compatible but several folks use various ones and have no issues. I play mod-free but @ EE others will know what works.

About the upgrades, they are still 3.1 dictated, nothings changed there. I do tend to favor one over another as well but that doesn't mean the "other" can't be effective in some fashion that either I don't understand, value or employ. This game is deep and I still discover better strategies. I have a bad habit of making hasty decisions that I carve in stone, to find out later they weren't the best. :D

Return to “Heroes V-VI”