Who or what is VARN?

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Secret_Holder
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Secret_Holder » 16 Sep 2010, 15:31

Ohhh.... Interesting :creative:

But wouldn't be a bit troublesome, if the pyramid was part of the ship? Maybe they built it, to cover up the ship. But I'm still confused about the name "tomb"

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 16 Sep 2010, 16:33

I don't think it's called the Tomb of VARN because anyone specific is buried in it... but technically, the VARN in question (the continent of Enroth) is below it. The Tomb of the Dragon Pharoah did literally become his tomb after he somehow died (Legends of MM).

You can also see Egyptian-esque imagery in the Nec-Engine version of MM1 (see Marzhin's topic).

Shifters of Might and Magic included an Arabic-style desert, but it too has a pyramid housing a gate to the Underworld. There's also several in Swords of Xeen: the pyramids of Canegtut (Caneghem?), Rettig (Deane Rettig?) and Ascihep.

There's also a (removed) artifact description in Heroes IV - the Scarab of Summoning - which possibly references the Ancients' connection to pyramids on Axeoth:
artifacts.txt wrote:This is one of our only ties to a powerful ancient society who once ruled the entire world. Perhaps this powerful artifact was one of the reasons why, or perhaps the Scarab was its downfall. No one knows.
It's safe to say the Ancients have some aesthetic ties to Egyptology as well as sci-fi. Perhaps it's a buffer for the idea that they're among the most senior, powerful and advanced civilisations in the known universe. Egypt once was, too :)

Secret_Holder
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Secret_Holder » 16 Sep 2010, 16:50

Ok. So one could say that the devs were big Stargate fans :D

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 16 Sep 2010, 16:56

Perhaps for MM6 onwards, but it couldn't have been the original inspiration (MM1-5 came out before Stargate existed) :P

Secret_Holder
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Secret_Holder » 16 Sep 2010, 17:47

Once again I show how little I know about Science Fiction... :disagree:

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 16 Sep 2010, 19:08

The first games were based on Star Trek. I'd guess that the devs watched Star Gate later on as well.

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 16 Sep 2010, 19:20

Hey, didn't we already discuss about MM, Star Trek, Star Gate, old BSG and other sci-fi movies/serials connections? ;P

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 17 Sep 2010, 09:02

Not that I can remember.

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 17 Sep 2010, 19:14

Return to “Might and Magic”