Impressions on DMoMM (SPOILERS)

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
waffen
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Impressions on DMoMM (SPOILERS)

Unread postby waffen » 06 Jul 2007, 05:50

I just finished DMoMM. So far I was accustomed to TBS and RPG games(HoMM3, HoMM4, HoMM5, IWD, BG, NWN, MM7), where you are not in hurry or can pause whenever you want. Beginning was hard for me. But I liked game, death animations and melee combat. That was fun. I wish I had map in game and life bar for enemies. In some places I simply hated game - when chasing ghoul in chapter 3 and when attempting to escape from giant worm. It was not fun for me, to load one location over and over because I was falling down and dying.
I have couple of questions about game and I will be thankful if you can answer:
1) Can you kill Pao-kais only with portcullis and catapult or you can do this with magic and arrows to?
2) Who actually was Phenrig, some demon agent?
3) Are there similar games for PC??? Can you suggest something for me, if I liked DMoMM?

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Re: Impressions on DMoMM (SPOILERS)

Unread postby Angelspit » 06 Jul 2007, 12:46

waffen wrote:1) Can you kill Pao-kais only with portcullis and catapult or you can do this with magic and arrows to?
As far as I know, it's the only way to kill them.
2) Who actually was Phenrig, some demon agent?
Good question. I think he is just human, with his own agenda.
3) Are there similar games for PC??? Can you suggest something for me, if I liked DMoMM?
I really like the Splinter Cell and the Deus Ex games. The action is less frantic and the setting is obviously very different, but you are give mutliple ways to get out of nasty situations (stealth, gadgets, guns). If you'd rather stick to the fantasy setting, I'm afraid you'll have to go back to some oldies (Rune, Heretic), but I'm not sure how they run on a modern PC.

arturchix
Titan
Titan

Unread postby arturchix » 06 Jul 2007, 21:29

I have to admit the giant worm was one of the trickiest of the bosses. It took me some time to realize I need the rope bow to get out of the situation.

BTW, lifebars for enemies will be in the 360 port, AFAIK. As well as 4 additional levels and a reworked multiplayer. :(

waffen
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby waffen » 08 Jul 2007, 06:05

Thanks for answers.

I heard that Demon stone and Lord of the ringa:Return of the king are good action games. And you can play different characters.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 08 Jul 2007, 12:36

Return of the King is good because of its coop play (something that would be nice in shooters too) and the fact that it can be completed over a week-end. It also gives you the feeling of being in the move thanks to the music and the movie-to-game transitions. However, the action is quite repetitive (you'll be performing the same combos over and over and over) and many characters play the same way. I played it once, but I never felt like going back to it afterwards.

waffen
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby waffen » 09 Jul 2007, 14:18

I played Demon stone a little and can say that this game is much worse than DMoMM, because you perform same combos over and over, as Angelspit said about LotR:RotK. You are not given choices, how to kill enemies. And they are to much. This is not serious when you slaughter 100 orcs in one room...

I was wondering if spells like Sanctuary and Weaken are worth skill point investement in DMoMM?? Weaken has nice adrenaline effect so...

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 09 Jul 2007, 14:30

Demon Stone is one of my least favorite XBox games. The 3 party system was kind of neat for awhile, but the novelty wore off really fast.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 09 Jul 2007, 17:35

But i've always preferred 3rd person view for sword fighting games.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

konfeta
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby konfeta » 31 Mar 2008, 19:31

If you are looking for swording people in the face and don't mind the Star Wars setting, Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy on PC are great. Their graphics are dated by today's standards, but they have some great swording in the face.

Especially if you turn on dismemberment.

Return to “Might and Magic”