Search found 3152 matches

by GreatEmerald
16 Jul 2020, 11:57
Forum: Might and Magic
Topic: GrayFace MM7 Patch v2.5.7 [Mar 4, 2022]
Replies: 552
Views: 6879522

Re: GrayFace MM7 Patch v2.4 [Sep 17, 2019]

Any ideas about how to get EAX working properly? IndirectSound allows the EAX option to become enabled, but it doesn't actually do any EAX effects. DSOAL is supposed to do EAX effects via OpenAL EFX, but I don't hear any (the sound is definitely different, but I don't hear reverb in the caves, even ...
by GreatEmerald
31 Mar 2018, 19:18
Forum: Heroes I-IV
Topic: HoMM3 TCP/IP networking howto
Replies: 7
Views: 58836

Re: HoMM3 TCP/IP networking howto

Why nobody told about this crucial info before? I had no idea Heroes 3 uses P2P instead of client/server. Moreover, i had no idea about these issues in later operating systems (is this problem only Windows 10 related?). It's not exactly crucial for me, as i play Heroes 3 on LAN with my cousin on ou...
by GreatEmerald
26 Nov 2017, 08:29
Topic: HoMM4 TCP/IP networking howto
Replies: 2
Views: 8519

Re: HoMM4 TCP/IP networking howto

It doesn't work on Linux, so that's right out. It's also adware and a gross hack. The way I detailed above is the proper way to do it as the developers indended.
by GreatEmerald
29 Oct 2017, 09:02
Forum: Might and Magic
Topic: Timeline Order of Play - What do I do next?
Replies: 53
Views: 43145

Re: Timeline Order of Play - What do I do next?

Huh, well, looking back it looks like XEL II is right and MM6:MoH starts before HoMM3:RoE and during HoMM3:SoD, because otherwise there would be no kreegan to forge an alliance with in SoD. The general impression beforehand was that MoH happens in parallel to RoE but that's clearly not true... That ...
by GreatEmerald
29 Oct 2017, 08:45
Topic: Heroes IV Extracted sounds
Replies: 11
Views: 9426

Re: Heroes IV Extracted sounds

You can use H4Unpacker.

Finding some of the sounds may be a bit of a challenge, though: it looks like many of the spells had quite different names during development (and perhaps there were spells that never made it into the game altogether).
by GreatEmerald
19 Oct 2017, 19:49
Topic: Heroes IV Extracted sounds
Replies: 11
Views: 9426

Re: Heroes IV Extracted sounds

They are not MP3s, nor are they WAVs. They are raw audio files. You need to import them into Audacity using Import → Raw Data... and then choosing Signed 16-bit PCM Big-Endian Mono 22050 Hz (these settings are almost literally the inverse of what Audacity guesses they should be).
by GreatEmerald
19 Aug 2017, 22:42
Topic: Heroes I-IV Edition Guide / Autorun Screen Gallery
Replies: 58
Views: 77112

Re: Heroes I-IV Edition Guide / Autorun Screen Gallery

If I view the image, it still just shows a page with the "enable external hosting" image instead. But yes, Photobucket is just the worst in general...
by GreatEmerald
02 Aug 2017, 20:39
Topic: HoMM4 TCP/IP networking howto
Replies: 2
Views: 8519

HoMM4 TCP/IP networking howto

Since I did a post on how to get HoMM3 working online without any third-party tools , here's a post on how to do it with Heroes of Might and Magic IV! Short version: 1) Server and client: Install patches to get to version 3.0 ; 2) Server and client: install DirectPlay ; 3) Server: forward UDP ports ...
by GreatEmerald
01 Aug 2017, 21:29
Topic: Heroes I-IV Edition Guide / Autorun Screen Gallery
Replies: 58
Views: 77112

Re: Heroes I-IV Edition Guide / Autorun Screen Gallery

Oh no, the actual autorun gallery in the OP no longer works now!
by GreatEmerald
23 Jul 2017, 22:45

I did some more research on how TCP/IP works. For reference, I used a packet analyser to look at the ports that are actually used. The ones that I could see were: 47624 UDP & TCP : Used for initial port negotiation. I don't think it's used for anything else at all, and the connections are super ...
by GreatEmerald
18 Jun 2017, 13:39
Topic: [HoMM3] Sharpshooter and rogue sounds
Replies: 0
Views: 2573

[HoMM3] Sharpshooter and rogue sounds

I'm done LP'ing HoMM2 and will now move on to HoMM3, so while I'm at it I figured I'd install all the fixes to the vanilla game. I got GreyFace's sound sync mod, which is nice, but I also remembered the issue with some of the neutral stacks. Rogues sound like gremlins, and sharpshooters sound like a...
by GreatEmerald
25 May 2017, 23:43
Forum: Articles
Topic: Jennifer Bullard - Lost manuscript files
Replies: 13
Views: 22317

Re: Jennifer Bullard - Lost manuscript files

a god, not God (JVC) ;) I said Word of God , not Word of the God ;) Well, IIRC she first "appeared" in Gelu's dream in Armageddon's Blade campaign. I'm just not sure, if Ravenwood biography was created with all other HoMM4 texts or much, much later. After all, she appears to Morgan Kendel...
by GreatEmerald
25 May 2017, 15:29

Nice job and very nice read but I unfortunately not all is coherent with other (Ho)MM lore (but the same I can say about MM9, HoMM4 and Heroes Chronicles ;P). I don't see many inconsistencies. You listed some editorial mistakes (which should be fixed, hint hint), but that's not canonical text. Thou...
by GreatEmerald
25 May 2017, 13:52

Wow, good job unearthing this! Certainly interesting synthesis of the events of Clash of the Dragons, Sword of Frost, and even some references to Unity. Not much on Every Dog Has His Day, though? And nice to see some justifications on the changed creature rosters, as well as some of the beta creatur...
by GreatEmerald
23 Mar 2017, 23:37
Forum: News
Topic: Formally Biweekly News - 23 March 17'
Replies: 10
Views: 7238

Re: Formally Biweekly News - 23 March 17'

Hm, that looks better than I expected. Kind of like Might and Magic I-II, except you have creatures to fight for you instead of party members and it's just random encounters.

Still, all these new releases feel very much like the good old 3DO times of Warriors, Legends, Crusaders...
by GreatEmerald
20 Jan 2017, 22:56
Topic: Formally Biweekly News - 8 Jan 17
Replies: 1
Views: 2537

Re: Formerly Biweekly News - 8 Jan 17

It's great that you mentioned the wiki, but I still think it needs something to stand out from the Wikia one (something more than not having super intrusive advertisements everywhere, that is).
by GreatEmerald
20 Jan 2017, 22:54
Topic: Might & Magic: Showdown Announced
Views: 9902

Re: Might & Magic: Showdown Announced

Now why exactly does every company now think "Oh man, Sticker Star is such a great concept" when everyone actually hated it? First Nintendo made Colour Splash, and now Ubisoft is here with this. Ugh. It wouldn't be a bad idea if these characters had a well-established, strong background. S...
by GreatEmerald
20 Jan 2017, 22:10
Forum: Campfire
Topic: Tech Corner
Replies: 823
Views: 409738

Re: Tech Corner

Oh, I didn't know there was an option to stop Win10 from downloading drivers. That will be useful. In my case, there was a problem with my mother's workstation. It used to have an old entry-level NVIDIA card, but its DVI connector was rather unreliable and that's pretty bad for a workstation. Since ...
by GreatEmerald
20 Jan 2017, 21:09

Through Wine, which is a reimplementation of Windows system libraries in free software. Wine runs on Linux, macOS, and ReactOS but not Windows itself. Wine is a Windows compatibility layer, sort of like an emulator, so you can run Windows applications in it. So while the DirectPlay libraries that th...
by GreatEmerald
25 Oct 2016, 23:21
Topic: Where to Next for the M&M Franchise?
Replies: 64
Views: 33564

Re: Where to Next for the M&M Franchise?

But H2, 3, 4, 5 all look really dated. I really wish someone with the right abilities would recognize this. There are a lot of awesome artists out there and I wish we could bring together a round table of such heroes. OK, H4, H5 may be out of the question since you need to do 3D modelling. This pro...

Go to advanced search