Search found 843 matches

by hellegennes
31 Mar 2020, 01:20
Forum: Campfire
Topic: Randomness - vol. IV
Replies: 1764
Views: 556209

Re: Randomness - vol. IV

Greece here. The government took measures almost immediately. They closed down schools a few days after the first case appeared, then closed down all businessess apart from food, service and pharmacies when the first death was announced. They closed down all beaches and last week they enforced a res...
by hellegennes
27 Jul 2018, 23:37
Forum: News
Topic: Interview with Tim Lang
Replies: 61
Views: 39709

Re: Interview with Tim Lang

Super Goober wrote:
Avonu wrote:One month later...
Just roll with it, I'll get the last part up soon. This is also my first interview. Please be patient.
Any chance you have it ready?
by hellegennes
08 May 2018, 21:47

I always thought this trailer was common knowledge. First I'd heard about Might and Magic was through that slideshow hidden within the main menu of Heroes 2. The second thing I remember was that trailer, which I've had in my possession, contained in a CD, since 1997. I looked to see if anyone ever u...
by hellegennes
20 Apr 2018, 12:24

Bump Bump
by hellegennes
24 Feb 2017, 01:44
Topic: JVC Skype Interview on Matt Chat 366
Replies: 22
Views: 15776

Re: JVC Skype Interview on Matt Chat 366

The cost of making a videogame today is far bigger than what Ubisoft paid to buy the M&M brand in 2003. I thus doubt the IP could be sold for less money today.
by hellegennes
06 Nov 2016, 20:56
Topic: Where to Next for the M&M Franchise?
Replies: 64
Views: 33564

Re: Where to Next for the M&M Franchise?

Of course it's limited when compared to 3D. Otherwise we would never have seen 3D games. But the advantages of 3D graphics don't benefit all types of games. I don't see any real benefit for Heroes, for instance.
by hellegennes
06 Nov 2016, 11:15

I don't understand what this have to do with how pretty or ugly graphics may look 20 years later. It's clear that 3D graphics will always look ugly the more we move towards realism. 2D graphics, on the other hand, are not affected by this. You can just up the resolution and they look as if they were...
by hellegennes
05 Nov 2016, 16:04

Yes they look pretty , but that matters because there is limit that such graphic can achieve, thus you can't expect anything complex by relaying on predawn graphics. Besides I can't really understand all problems with Homm6-7 graphics people are having, they look pretty. Sure square based grid of h...
by hellegennes
04 Nov 2016, 12:54

What does it matter? I am not comparing the skill of the developers here, I am pointing out that old 2D graphics may look dated because of their low resolution, but you cannot say the were ugly. On the contrary, its old 3D games that look ugly.
by hellegennes
04 Nov 2016, 00:38

Frankly, I feel HOMMII and III look amazing even today. Especially considering how big of a comeback sprite games are making these days, people should not say these games look "ugly". If anything, it's 3D graphics that become ugly as time goes by and resolution and polygon count increases...
by hellegennes
04 Nov 2016, 00:26

I generally prefer pretty graphics, but it needs to be done right, for instance take Civ VI there they have chosen a more stylized look and for all the right reasons! To enable the player to get a good overview :-) Actually, CIV VI's stylized look completely ruins the readability of both the overwo...
by hellegennes
04 Nov 2016, 00:09
Forum: Hall of the Heretics
Topic: Civlization VI
Replies: 1
Views: 3062

Civlization VI

Anyone's playing Civ VI yet? I enjoy it quite a lot. There is much room for improvement but the release version is pretty smooth at least. I encountered no major bugs, only very minor things. The gameplay is quite good, sound is brilliant, Sean Bean is wonderful, the game is quite complicated but fa...
by hellegennes
27 Oct 2016, 23:58
Forum: Might and Magic
Topic: What do you think the future of Might and Magic Shall Behold?
Replies: 50
Views: 28754

Re: What do you think the future of Might and Magic Shall Behold?

What Steven Aus said. Creativity is an inherent trait of the human species. You can certainly observe it by watching children interact with the world. Creativity is not just writing music or poetry or painting. These are very specific fields. Creativity has to do with anything that requires problem ...
by hellegennes
25 Oct 2016, 15:48

All people are inherently creative. We just don't have the same affinities. Of course, some people are more creative than others, but that only changes the grandeur of their work, it doesn't make them superhuman machines spewing out great art from childhood until deathbed. As you may see, all the pe...
by hellegennes
25 Oct 2016, 15:25
Topic: Heroes II. - Project Ironfist
Replies: 20
Views: 11785

Re: Heroes II. - Project Ironfist

You can't read a book of another era as if it takes place today. You can't judge the writer or the actions of the characters based on modern ethics. That's just silly. You don't need to connect with a culture or moral code of a different era in order to enjoy a piece of art of theirs.
by hellegennes
25 Oct 2016, 00:29

I talk about average and you talk about exceptions. Not to mention Stephen King is repeating himself horribly for the past 20 years. Age is not irrelevant when talking about creativity and there are both sociological and biological reasons behind it. You simply need to accept that, it's not insultin...
by hellegennes
09 Oct 2016, 16:18
Topic: MM6 vs. MM7 vs. MM8: My review (May Contain Spoilers)
Replies: 13
Views: 15919

Re: MM6 vs. MM7 vs. MM8: My review (May Contain Spoilers)

MM7 introduced the GM level but the way you get there feels a wee bit unbalanced. Proportionatelly, you spend most of the game time being only an expert at some skills. Skill advancement was not well thought out. If MM7 had spent 6 more months in development it would be a near perfect game. Comparin...
by hellegennes
06 Oct 2016, 23:55
Topic: MM6 vs. MM7 vs. MM8: My review (May Contain Spoilers)
Replies: 13
Views: 15919

Re: MM6 vs. MM7 vs. MM8: My review (May Contain Spoilers)

I agree that plain size doesn't mean anything, but MM6 wasn't like that. The dungeons were much more rich and unique. On the contrary, MM7's huge dungeons were redundant. They weren't as unique, they just felt like big spaces with a lot of enemies. Especially the tunnels feels exactly like that. The...
by hellegennes
06 Oct 2016, 23:10
Topic: Heroes VII. - Development cancelled
Replies: 23
Views: 14663

Re: Heroes VII. - Development cancelled

That is exactly what they mean when they talk about the proverbial nail in the coffin. Ubisoft hesitated to spend money on the franchise, partly because the turn-based strategy is a niche market* and partly because it's run by an army of managers that believe success comes first, then you spend more...
by hellegennes
28 Jun 2016, 22:16
Forum: Heroes VII
Topic: So is this game worth buying?
Replies: 292
Views: 124662

Re: So is this game worth buying?

Kalah wrote:if you're the king of person who loves playing user-made games for years and years.
I imagine a kingdom full of such people.

Go to advanced search