Heroes V map editor questions

Maps and the art of mapmaking.
Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 17 Aug 2008, 14:48

You have the primary skill at least, right? (I mean the <PrimarySkill> property, which is not in <editable>)

And you have something like the following in the editable property?

Code: Select all

<skills/>
<perkIDs/>
No matter how powerful one becomes, there is always someone stronger. That's why I'm in a constant pursuit of power, so I can be prepared when an enemy tries to take advantage of me.

John.Galt
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby John.Galt » 17 Aug 2008, 18:59

I do, but it's set to none. I don't want him to have any primary skill, or any anything really. Is that not possible?

His stats are 0/0/0/0 and he has no primary skill.

Edit: Also, this may be a dumb, dumb question, but how do I make an underground? I managed to do it once by clicking "lower" in the tiles menu, but that's not working..........
I swear - by my life, and my love of it - that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 17 Aug 2008, 19:03

I don't think you can have a hero without a primary skill...
No matter how powerful one becomes, there is always someone stronger. That's why I'm in a constant pursuit of power, so I can be prepared when an enemy tries to take advantage of me.

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 17 Aug 2008, 19:19

Be sure you use the "x3" tool size to make the underground and "lower" will work.
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

John.Galt
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby John.Galt » 18 Aug 2008, 00:20

You can Asheera, you just can't go to his inventory... :-(

I gave him logistics... I might consider making it expert to speed up the game, its really slow now.

Edit: If that doesn't make it clear: you don't have to have a primary skill, you have to have a skill

GOW, that worked, Thanks to both of you.

BTW, all of you are credited in my map. (If I ever get it out) Thanks so much for helping me.

Edit2: o.O I just gave him ultimate logistics and things went screwy... lol. He had swift mind, snatch, path finding, and warpath.
I swear - by my life, and my love of it - that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.

John.Galt
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby John.Galt » 18 Aug 2008, 00:34

OK! New question: In the game options, I enabled Special hero trail, then in my map, the hero trail disappeared. I disabled special hero trail, and it's still not there. How do I fix this?

Edit: Also, I used Franzy's script (For displaying a message prior to attacking a neutral creature) and I got something wrong. Here's my script. Nicholai is the hero and Monster1 is the monster.
--Message3 (Monster Message)
function Message3(Nicholai,Monster1)
MessageBox("Maps/SingleMissions/asdf/Message3.txt");
SetObjectEnabled("Monster1",not nil);
MakeHeroInteractWithObject(Nicholai,Monster1);

end;

Trigger(OBJECT_TOUCH_TRIGGER, "Monster1","Nicholai")

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 18 Aug 2008, 01:22

What exactly is it doing? Did you disable the object first in another part of the script with:

SetObjectEnabled("Monster1",nil);
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

John.Galt
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby John.Galt » 18 Aug 2008, 05:07

Yeah, I did, sorry, it's in another section.

I'm trying to make a message appear right before I attack a creature stack, then force the hero to attack without giving him a choice.

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 18 Aug 2008, 11:25

First, one tip: You should use GetMapDataPath().."Message3.txt" instead of hard-coding the path ;)

Here, try this:

Code: Select all

--Message3 (Monster Message)
function Message3(Hero, Monster)
  if Hero == "Nicholai" then
    MessageBox(GetMapDataPath().."Message3.txt")
    SetObjectEnabled(Monster, not nil)
    MakeHeroInteractWithObject(Hero, Monster)
  end
end

Trigger(OBJECT_TOUCH_TRIGGER, "Monster1","Message3")

John.Galt
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby John.Galt » 18 Aug 2008, 20:16

I think the confusion is coming in MakeHeroInteractWithObject. (Or whatever it is, I don't remember as I'm typing this) What is Hero and Monster in that command?

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 18 Aug 2008, 20:34

MakeHeroInteractWithObject() - first parameter the Hero to interact and the second parameter the object/monster the hero interacts with

We pass the parameters of the Message3 function to this one (the parameters of the Message3 function are passed from the Trigger)

John.Galt
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby John.Galt » 18 Aug 2008, 20:52

Yeah, but what do I type in the place of Hero and monster?

Is it the hero name/monster ID? That's what I'm confused about. Or do I just type Hero and Monster

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 18 Aug 2008, 21:18

You type Hero and Monster, because that's how the parameters of the function are named

function Message3(Hero, Monster)

You can name the parameters however you want, but you must change everywhere if you do it.

John.Galt
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby John.Galt » 19 Aug 2008, 01:05

Hey, thanks for that.

Anyone know why the hero trail isn't working like I mentioned earlier? This is the second time this has happened, I fixed it last time by completely uninstalling and reinstalling because there were so many errors with things.

John.Galt
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby John.Galt » 19 Aug 2008, 01:14

Hmmm... for some reason, that script you gave me Asheera is sending the message twice, once before and once after battle...

Edit: Also, my ambush trigger isn't working
function Ambush1()
StartCombat(Nicholai,nil,3,92,3,92,3,92,3);

end;
Trigger(REGION_ENTER_AND_STOP_TRIGGER, "Ambush1","Ambush1")
I want to add a message to it as well, but I just want to get the basic ambush working first. Nicholai is the HeroName, just so you know.

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 19 Aug 2008, 14:55

Firstly I would name the function a little different since you use "Amush1" name twice in the Trigger because of it.

And secondly, you should write the hero name in quotation marks ("Nicholai")

John.Galt
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby John.Galt » 19 Aug 2008, 15:10

Sorry for so many questions at once... would there be any way to disable the guardians for a military post?

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 19 Aug 2008, 15:17

Kinda complicated, you'll have to modify the Shared property... and I don't even know if it works for Random Dwellings.

John.Galt
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby John.Galt » 19 Aug 2008, 15:22

Yeah, I wasn't sure about what to do about that. I name all regions identically to the function they trigger - do you not think that's a good idea? I saw pros and cons of doing that.

Edit: Modifying the shared properties will mess up the entire game though, no? :-/

Asheera
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Asheera » 19 Aug 2008, 15:32

John.Galt wrote:Modifying the shared properties will mess up the entire game though, no? :-/
Not if you create a new file specific to your map that you'll use in the Shared property.

Return to “Mapmaking Guild”