Heroes 3.5 Wake of Gods map in the making - need testplayers

Maps and the art of mapmaking.
jointit
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Heroes 3.5 Wake of Gods map in the making - need testplayers

Unread postby jointit » 03 Jul 2008, 22:12

Hello all!

This is my first post here and Im gonna start out strong by asking for testplayers for my map. Its in the late stages, Im 95% finished with the map itself and the storyline is done, but not finished.

Anyways, since this actually is a community for heroes map making I would like to be part of it. I´ve spent the last months making this map and a few friends with the same interest would be nice :)

To make some advertising for my map;

- I think that the one who plays it will be actually challanged by it and I also hope that the storyline will be at least a bit enjoyable.

I found my way to this forum by Vlaad on Heroes community who tested this map and helped me a bit with it so thanks to him for his help!

/Jonatan

(I just saw I had an account here but it was inactivated so I created a new one)

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 03 Jul 2008, 23:16

Welcome to the Round Table, jointit. You could send it to the Round Table for testing if you may be experiencing difficulty in finding map testers. This is one of the quickest ways to get a project tested.

Salamandre
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Salamandre » 04 Jul 2008, 05:22

Unfortunatelly there is not much need to test maps in WOG. The main problem is that any AI wandering HERO can create a frozen game for unknown reasons, so the first commandement is: MAKE AI heroes stand still.

When you spend months to create a map with interactivity between AI and player you will have a heart attack when 90% of players will froze on AI turn.

WOG is fantastic, but the frozen bug limits a lot mapmakers. Once your AI doesnt move, your map is 100% bugs free, assuming you tested your own scripts.

Send me your map at rogacev@free.fr and I will be glad to look at it. Thats why hollidays are for.

jointit
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby jointit » 04 Jul 2008, 10:44

ByteBandit wrote:Welcome to the Round Table, jointit. You could send it to the Round Table for testing if you may be experiencing difficulty in finding map testers. This is one of the quickest ways to get a project tested.
With a certainty of making an ass out of myself - how do I do that?

Edit. Nvm I found it. Thanks!

Salamandre
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Salamandre » 05 Jul 2008, 07:05

Your map is very nicely designed. Too good to remain without scripts:) WOG without any script is a pitifull hack&slash.

The labyrinth remembers me the "maze of death" from Unleashing the Bloodthirsty . Once exception, in your map one error is fatal, so the player will be forced to switch constantly between editor and the game. I suggest you to look at the water labyrinth from The empire of the world II. It has an intelligent labyrinth where the player is given tips on how to succed.

Didnt have yet the time to start it, but from editor looks very nice. In your tests, did the end Boss still have 0/0/99/99? Because with 9999999 experience and stats predefined at 99, you could encounter a bug, so every single stat goes to zero.

jointit
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby jointit » 05 Jul 2008, 11:40

Salamandre wrote:Your map is very nicely designed. Too good to remain without scripts:) WOG without any script is a pitifull hack&slash.

The labyrinth remembers me the "maze of death" from Unleashing the Bloodthirsty . Once exception, in your map one error is fatal, so the player will be forced to switch constantly between editor and the game. I suggest you to look at the water labyrinth from The empire of the world II. It has an intelligent labyrinth where the player is given tips on how to succed.

Didnt have yet the time to start it, but from editor looks very nice. In your tests, did the end Boss still have 0/0/99/99? Because with 9999999 experience and stats predefined at 99, you could encounter a bug, so every single stat goes to zero.
Thanks for some fast feedback, really appriociate it! Glad you find it nice too! About the end boss - I havent encountered that bug so far ever, but once it appears it never goes away, or whats the "rule" there?

And about the maze - I wanted it exactly like that, the player has to use the guide that comes to the Northen Castle at day 75 (or look in editor). Maybe not so artistic and beautiful as in Empire of the world II, but I wanted to make a labyrinth of my own, hehe. Basic thought was to try to give meaning to the story where the Dark Knight gets ambushed and Mutare Drake steals the message where the way through the maze stands.

And last so far - about scripts. Im kinda new to WoG. I started with it this February, I took a break from HoMM at 2001 or something when Diablo 2 came out so I kinda missed the WoG boom. I would like to make some scripts, but small ones. I do not like these "Game changing" schripts at all (like in the map choices).

/Jonatan

Salamandre
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Salamandre » 05 Jul 2008, 12:44

jointit wrote:

And about the maze - I wanted it exactly like that, the player has to use the guide that comes to the Northen Castle at day 75 (or look in editor). Maybe not so artistic and beautiful as in Empire of the world II, but I wanted to make a labyrinth of my own, hehe. Basic thought was to try to give meaning to the story where the Dark Knight gets ambushed and Mutare Drake steals the message where the way through the maze stands.
/Jonatan
Do you realize that the message on day 75:

"4D, 1R, 2D, 9R, 5D, 2L, 3U, 4L, 2D, 2R, 3D, 4R, 4D, 3L, 2D, 3R, 2D, 7L, 6U, 1R, 3U, 2L, 4U, 3L, 2U, 4L, 2U, 3R, 2U, 14L, 2D, 8R, 3D, 1R, 2D, 2R, 1U, 2R, 2D, 3R, 6D, 2L, 3D, 3R, 2D, 7L, 5U, 4L, 3U, 3R, 1D, 5R, 2U, 3L, 1U, 9L, 3U, 4R, 2U, 6L, 7D, 2R, 3D, 2L, 2D, 8R, 2D, 5L"

once you click OK it is gone, and forever?:)p You call that tip? Player will be eated by 50k azure dragons, haha

Some good scripters here have already done a help/ingame text for problems like hidden paths, when you forget quests, lose artefacts. There is a menu you can open at any moment to see what you missed. Would be great to use this feature when in labyrinth. Check THUNK map to see what I am talking about.

jointit
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby jointit » 07 Jul 2008, 11:30

I see. I think Im stuck in the 90´s with computer games. I simply use a pen+paper and write down the info I need, times change I guess! I wouldnt mind adding that script, but I think I need at least a little bit of guidance since I´ve never scripted before.

I would also like to add some other small scripts, for instance a more damage inflicting Armageddon for the last boss.

I`ll deal with it these next days and see if I can learn a thing or two :)

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 07 Jul 2008, 22:10

Not all maps freeze. And the bug thing with WoG can be prevented if everything in WoG is set up right. I can say this for singleplayer. I can't guarantee a good play with Multiplayer though, as I don't play online.

But to answer your question about maptesting, you can go here to submit your map to CH. And, good luck to you. :)

jointit
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby jointit » 01 Jul 2009, 15:36

Hello again!

The map is finished and I just sent it to the mapsecition. Do the admins check their Mapmails still?

I could upload it somewhere else if thats better. Salamandre has helped me alot the last weeks with testplaying and scriptadding.

I think I can confidently say that the map is top notch.

/Jontahontas

Return to “Mapmaking Guild”