Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Veldrynus » 19 Jan 2006, 17:07

Nice poem :devil:

Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Thelonious » 19 Jan 2006, 19:11

@Scarlett, well you could send it to everyone if you start by sending it to me...

I'll just go on with HoMM IV, I'll see if I can get some money somewhere.. get a job or something... :D
Grah!

ScarlettP
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby ScarlettP » 19 Jan 2006, 22:20

Well, I started working on an H4Std version of the map, but I was so bogged down in the REGULAR one, that I gave up.

(Things like Kalah "The Great Summoner" can summon Mega Dragons in the WOW one, but only gets Black Dragons in the Std version. - Yeah! You WANT to rescue Kalah! - I think Kalah suggested that also. Funny how when you start letting someone work on their own namesake, that charactor gets more and more powerful. Things that make you say "Hmmmm...")

ScarlettP
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby ScarlettP » 20 Jan 2006, 02:45

Wimfrits, That "ghost" script works like a Champ! You are BRILLIANT!!!

Thanks a heap. If my hero dies, he still turns into that pile of treasure, but the ghost has the tombstone. Pretty cool.

wimfrits
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby wimfrits » 20 Jan 2006, 07:19

Glad you like it :)
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

ScarlettP
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby ScarlettP » 20 Jan 2006, 14:02

I'm currently working on the quest huts in the 4th map. Most of them are totally empty and simply there for decoration. I finally desided to DO something with them... Maybe after you complete a series of them, the Hero will be visited by a bright blue parrot. :D

wimfrits
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby wimfrits » 20 Jan 2006, 14:29

Lol :hoo:

A parrot that says "Other questhut. Other questhut"

Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Thelonious » 20 Jan 2006, 16:11

Or "this script was very hard to make!" :D ;)
Grah!

ScarlettP
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby ScarlettP » 20 Jan 2006, 22:43

LOL! I had actually just thought about doing a series... You know, this one wants a Sword for a number of Axes, the next one wants the Axes and will give a Vial of Mercury, followed by one that wants the Mercury and will give something else, etc., etc. until all the huts are filled, each one giveing something a LITTLE nicer than the last. The LAST one just gives you an "Exotic Animal".... Wimfrits.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 20 Jan 2006, 22:56

The last one can give you a sword so you can start from the begining :devil:

Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Thelonious » 21 Jan 2006, 13:54

ScarlettP wrote:LOL! I had actually just thought about doing a series... You know, this one wants a Sword for a number of Axes, the next one wants the Axes and will give a Vial of Mercury, followed by one that wants the Mercury and will give something else, etc., etc. until all the huts are filled, each one giveing something a LITTLE nicer than the last. The LAST one just gives you an "Exotic Animal".... Wimfrits.
Yeah and then Wimfrits = Breeze the Falcon ;) :D Oh wait wrong bird and color :S
Grah!

ScarlettP
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby ScarlettP » 21 Jan 2006, 14:53

hmmmm... that evil necromancer Veldrynus cast a terrible spell on Wimfrits that turned him into Breeze?

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 22 Jan 2006, 03:57

I think the problem with your combat hut comes because the Hut itself does not act like a Neutral.

Since the hero has entered alone, the easiest way to do what you want is to run the combat and then check whether the hero is dead. Since you did not have creatures to start with you don't need to bother with the ghost thing.

wimfrits
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby wimfrits » 22 Jan 2006, 10:40

charleswatkins wrote: Since the hero has entered alone, the easiest way to do what you want is to run the combat and then check whether the hero is dead. Since you did not have creatures to start with you don't need to bother with the ghost thing.
No, you're missing the point.
1. the ghost script works in this form because there are no creatures in the army. If there were creatures present, it would have become more complicated.
2. a check on 'dead hero' only works on unique heroes, because a tombstone and a live hero both count as 1 hero.
3. a check on 'dead hero' disregards fleeing.

Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Thelonious » 22 Jan 2006, 20:08

ScarlettP wrote:hmmmm... that evil necromancer Veldrynus cast a terrible spell on Wimfrits that turned him into Breeze?

:tongue:

You can do better than that!
Grah!

ScarlettP
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby ScarlettP » 25 Jan 2006, 11:43

OK! Just found and corrected a 'glitch' in map 3. It's a 'maze' so all the passages are constricted. (Wimfrits will HATE it!) Because I detest "creatures of the month" blocking the caravan routes, I made all the guard monsters a color and wrote a "growth" script. These were fine at the first of the game, but about 1/2 ways through would become unbelievably hard.

I found 2 major flaws in my exicution.

#1. A few of the monsters did not get set on "Gaurd" or limit their wandering. These would scoot around the map picking up 'friends' who would now also become unlimited wanderers. This would leave some things unguarded and then you would be running into monster stacks with a Company of Genies, Magi, Naga, etc. all running around together in an unbeatable stack. (Ok, No way *I* could beat them!)

#2. I wrote a "growth" script to compensate for the lack of dwellings, towns etc. owned by this other color. I wrote it to run once for Novice, twice for Intermediate, three times for the Difficult & four times for Champion. (Whatever the actual words are for the levels. It escapes me at the moment.) The idea was Give 2 genies (or whatever you would normally get from a dwelling) per week on the lowest level. Then 4, 6 or 8 per week for the higher levels. Guess what? I set them to run on the COMPUTER turn! There are TWO computer players! That means my growth scripts were running twice a week giveing 4, 8, 12, or 16 creatures per week... PLUS the ones that were picking up "Alies" seemed to accumulate scripts and get monsterousely large numbers.

Well, I found and fixed the unlimited wanderers, deleted two stacks off each monster (went from 7 stacks in each starting group down to 5) and put the Growth script to only run on the Human turn. Now, they seem a bit to easy, so I'll have to go back in and put the 6th stack back in. I swear, the HARDEST part for me is adjusting the creature stacks!

wimfrits
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby wimfrits » 25 Jan 2006, 12:07

ScarlettP wrote:Because I detest "creatures of the month" blocking the caravan routes, I made all the guard monsters a color
An alternative that prevents the wandering and picking up friends is:
1. make the stacks neutral
2. encountered tab : change to color x
3. victorious tab : change to color neutral

As a result, they'll be colored only when they are attacked and defeated.

Oh, and I don't necessarily hate mazes. I just don't like to have to puzzle around to find on which tile I can stand.
For instance, not recognizing that I can travel in direction x because a barely visible woodpile blocks the only passage tile. Those kind of things frustrate me.
Moreover, if the hero could control himself, he would have no problem seeing the woodpile, but the person behind the computer screen has difficulty seeing it. For me, that weakens the link between me and the character I'm playing and thus decreases my immersion in the map.

There, vented my frustration with cramped spaces ;)

ScarlettP
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby ScarlettP » 25 Jan 2006, 13:37

For instance, not recognizing that I can travel in direction x because a barely visible woodpile blocks the only passage tile. Those kind of things frustrate me.
Ditto! I hate that. And when map testing, I HATE the map maker who won't tell me WHERE that darned wood pile is. "Just mouse around" is not a good answer in my book.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 25 Jan 2006, 13:57

There was one excelent maze,although I cannot remeber in what map.I think it might be in one of the depieleres maps.It was made out of islands and all were linked with one way portals.It was really hard and weird,but an excelent one.

Ururam Tururam
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Ururam Tururam » 25 Jan 2006, 18:08

The third map of Depierrelles, yes.
And the fourth map of this campaign is one huge maze (but it's a bit easier too.
Hoc est opus!
UT homepage: http://urtur.webpark.pl

Return to “Mapmaking Guild”