"Unknown" authors

Maps and the art of mapmaking.
Vlaad II
Demon
Demon

"Unknown" authors

Unread postby Vlaad II » 27 Feb 2007, 09:52

If you are a Heroes 5 mapmaker, perhaps you'd like to check if your map has been uploaded to Heroes Portal. Most of them have no "read me" files and some authors are "unknown". :disagree:
Cartographer - maps and mapmaking

Silence
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Silence » 27 Feb 2007, 11:14

The readmes are nice:
This map is taken from the catalogue w ww.heroesportal.net
Not to mention that some minimaps are from wrong maps.

And GOW is a proud Union Jack waver?

And who the hell knows anything about Myythryyn?

And some unknown authors are known to be Ukrainians...

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Humakt » 28 Feb 2007, 04:36

I'm from USA too according to heroesportal. I've propably been brainwashed by our beloved government to believe I've been living in Finland.
Thundermaps
"Death must be impartial. I must sever my ties, lest I shield my kin."

sgr_kaus
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby sgr_kaus » 28 Feb 2007, 10:38

speaking of it... is heroes portal the best place to post a new map ? which web-site I would have to use? I've made a multiplayer map, I've tested it, and a friend of mine with large tradition in heroes too...

Is a modification of nival map "rise to power", with full underground and 8 players, including fortress and snow terrain, and a pack of new interesting things to make multiplayer more fun...

I don't have experience in posting maps, so I suppose that I'll be anonimous, then, anybody can guide me?

thanks!

myythryyn
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby myythryyn » 28 Feb 2007, 15:11

Silence wrote:The readmes are nice:

And who the hell knows anything about Myythryyn?
i know a few things about Myythryyn :D

though i see no mention of that name anywhere on that site. is there some reference somewhere?
the only map i can see that I made on that site is an "unknown" author.
i suppose i should email them and tell them to change that, though i would rather ask them to remove the map entirely. but im sure they would just ignore my request.

i can only assume they place these maps on the site without permission, and get them from a friend who didnt bother to remember who the author was when they downloaded it from a real map site.
if they spent even a minute going to other map sites, they would know who the author was since every other site has the consideration to give credit to the author.
or they could even just look at the readme alot of maps come with.

so to put "unknown author" shows total laziness and lack of respect for the map authors.
sgr_kaus wrote: speaking of it... is heroes portal the best place to post a new map ?
No! most definetly not.
never send anything to heroes portals. unless its some website destroying worm/virus or some other malicous software that will erase their harddrives. heroes portal is obviously amateur and not deserving of any fan made maps.
this site i think its the best so far....hundreds of maps....
http://www.maps4heroes.com/index.php

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 28 Feb 2007, 15:24

Ouch, that's pretty bad. I've been in touch with the HeroesPortal people before. I guess they would agree to make the necessary changes.

Koni
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Koni » 28 Feb 2007, 17:50

a55a55in's fine map "Tales of Destiny" can be found at heroesportal as well, but also under "Unknown author". Until today they didn't change it, although a55a55in has sent them a mail in order to correct it a year ago. Right, a55a55in?

Return to “Mapmaking Guild”