Carry over Heroes (New Campaign)

Maps and the art of mapmaking.
sbn
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Carry over Heroes (New Campaign)

Unread postby sbn » 09 Jan 2006, 04:19

I am making a campaign with HOMM 4 editor. I read a FAQ where it says:

"Question: I am creating a campaign, and I want to have the same Heroes in each scenario, like in the official NWC campaigns. How can I do this?
Answer: If you go into the Characters->Heroes tab in the map editor, the last choice will be a gray Hero called a Carryover Hero. Place this on the second, third, etc. maps and enter either the name or the relative strength of the Hero you would like to take that spot when that scenario begins."

My question is this;

1.)is this the only method to get Heroes to carry over in a custom campaign?

2.) On the first map I added 4 heroes I wanted to carry over. I customized them with names/photos etc. Am I correct to assume these WILL NOT carry over? I.E. I had copy and pasted them into all subsequent maps. Can I only do this with the greyed "Carry Over" heroe?

3.) Lastly I would like each heroe to start with a special artifact. To carry that over do I have to select that artifact on EACH map?

Basically I want to create a major campaign where by 4 Heroes can level up to the point that the finale they will need to be at a very high level due to the difficulty of the final map.

So far this is what has happened. I put on the first map a hero. Then on the second map I add the "Carry" hero. But when I get to the second map the hero is NOT there.

[T]osHiro
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Re: Carry over Heroes (New Campaign)

Unread postby [T]osHiro » 09 Jan 2006, 07:13

For #1: Yes it is the only way

For #2: I don't know... :disagree:

For #3: I guess so.

I'm working on a campaign too, anything I know, I'll let you know then.. :)
Round Table Olympics '07 Image

Ururam Tururam
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Ururam Tururam » 09 Jan 2006, 07:59

1) Yes.

2) You have to customize them only on the first map they appear, and use gray markers on the subsequent ones.

3) You should do this only on the maps the artifacts are to be carried "from" and "to". If the artifacts should be present in the whole campaign you should define them as carried over "from" on all maps but the last, and "to" on all maps but the first.
Hoc est opus!
UT homepage: http://urtur.webpark.pl

Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Re: Carry over Heroes (New Campaign)

Unread postby Thelonious » 09 Jan 2006, 08:25

sbn wrote: So far this is what has happened. I put on the first map a hero. Then on the second map I add the "Carry" hero. But when I get to the second map the hero is NOT there.
Did you assign the hero to the grey carry over hero. That is - in the editor, you can select the carry over hero, and then view it's properties. Like all heroes he'll have a general tag - with the name etc.

The name tag will have the names of all heroes in last (read: map before this map) map inclueding carry over heroes. So in your second map you should choose the name of the hero from the first map, and then it'll carry over correctly. If you don't do this, it won't carry over anything, since the carry over hero hasn't been assigned to carry over anything.
Grah!

sbn
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby sbn » 09 Jan 2006, 22:21

Frustratingly this is what happens;

On the 1st map I had 2 heroes, make them specific heroes (Properties>Edit>General>Custom)

On the second map I put in the "Carry Over" Hero. The go to "Properties">"Specific Hero", but no names appear. If I type in the exact name of the Hero placed on the 1st map, in game no hero will show up.

Am I doing this wrong?

Interestingly certain maps I have added do list heroes in the "Specific Hero" option under the Carry Over hero, but none on the list are placed in "ANY" of the previous maps. In fact all previous maps at the moment now have no heroes.

Robenhagen
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Robenhagen » 09 Jan 2006, 22:48

Try and download this test map.

It's just an empty 2 map campaign. Map1 holds one hero with the name 'carryover'. Nothing else has been changed on the hero.
Map2 holds the carryover marker with the specific hero name 'carryover'.

This is in essence all that is needed to perform the carryover.

Hope it helps.
I was lookin’ back to see if you were lookin’ back at me to see me lookin’ back at you.

Ururam Tururam
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Ururam Tururam » 09 Jan 2006, 23:21

sbn wrote:Am I doing this wrong?
You must name the hero to be carried over in the first scenario the hero appears.. Even if you want to leave his original name, you have to type it.
Hoc est opus!
UT homepage: http://urtur.webpark.pl

ScarlettP
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby ScarlettP » 10 Jan 2006, 23:16

Actually, in my campaign where I had more than one carry over hero, sometimes they would get the 'wrong' artifacts. I ended up writing a triggered script to "Check Equipment" on each hero for each map sequel.

Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Thelonious » 12 Jan 2006, 19:48

sbn wrote:Frustratingly this is what happens;

On the 1st map I had 2 heroes, make them specific heroes (Properties>Edit>General>Custom)

On the second map I put in the "Carry Over" Hero. The go to "Properties">"Specific Hero", but no names appear. If I type in the exact name of the Hero placed on the 1st map, in game no hero will show up.

Am I doing this wrong?

Interestingly certain maps I have added do list heroes in the "Specific Hero" option under the Carry Over hero, but none on the list are placed in "ANY" of the previous maps. In fact all previous maps at the moment now have no heroes.
Ok as UT said, you need to make their names custom. Not even their avatar. I could make you a tiny little campaign to show you how it's done properly. I'll PM you.
Grah!

Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Thelonious » 14 Jan 2006, 10:33

PM-ed you, I made a simple map for you to check how it works properly.
Grah!

wimfrits
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby wimfrits » 15 Jan 2006, 21:42

ScarlettP wrote:Actually, in my campaign where I had more than one carry over hero, sometimes they would get the 'wrong' artifacts. I ended up writing a triggered script to "Check Equipment" on each hero for each map sequel.
Another problem with carryover items is that duplicates may appear. It's probably necessary to do a take-take-give script as well for every carryover item the hero holds.
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

ScarlettP
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby ScarlettP » 16 Jan 2006, 12:41

Yep. And with 4 to 10 carry over heroes in each of my maps, the "Check Equipment" scripts can get rather complicated.

Return to “Mapmaking Guild”