Need some editting help

Maps and the art of mapmaking.
cohka
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Need some editting help

Unread postby cohka » 24 Oct 2006, 02:01

1)How do you lower starting resources? I'd like less gold at the start of the game to increase early game strategy.
2)I'd like to change a few units names..which files would need to be adjust so that the changes are reflected everywhere in game? You'd be my hero if you could create a zip with the file structure. I'm very new to editting.

Thanks in advance.

myythryyn
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby myythryyn » 24 Oct 2006, 02:09

hello, i see this is your first post. there is a map editing forum you can use, lots of helpful people there, since i think a moderator is going to move your post :)
for changing player resources at the beginning, you would use the
SetPlayerStartResources(player, wood, ore, ect. ) command

the exact details of the command are in the script functions pdf file documentation.

as for changing object names, someone else will have to help you with that, i havnt done that yet.

cohka
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby cohka » 24 Oct 2006, 03:33

Sorry for posting in the wrong spot.

After looking at the pdf I don't understand which line the SetPlayerStartResources goes under? Also I don't follow the instructions on how to enter this. What should the line look like? Do i add .script to the end?

Is this right?
SetPlayerStartResources (player_1,5,5,5,5,5,5,1000)

myythryyn
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby myythryyn » 24 Oct 2006, 03:55

you would open the map properties, then select script, then the very first line you type can be the command

SetPlayerStartResources (player_1,5,5,5,5,5,5,1000) ;

but make sure you put ; after the command

then that should work.

you dont need to type anything else for this command to work at the beginning of the map.

cohka
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby cohka » 24 Oct 2006, 17:23

Thanks that worked! PLAYER is case sensitive

Now on to issue #2...can anyone point to the files that would need editting?

Change a few units names, maybe even rename "Dungeon" units to Night Elves. I'd like to make things a bit more traditional.

Any help is wonderful!

myythryyn
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby myythryyn » 25 Oct 2006, 00:20

glad to hear it worked....oops, forgot about the capitol letters :)

i would suggest you post your second question in the map making forum, your more likely to get a response there about if you can rename units.

alavris
Scout
Scout

Unread postby alavris » 25 Oct 2006, 11:48

cohka wrote:Now on to issue #2...can anyone point to the files that would need editting?

Change a few units names, maybe even rename "Dungeon" units to Night Elves. I'd like to make things a bit more traditional.

Any help is wonderful!
In your Heroes V "data" folder open "texts.pak" archive (for example using 7zip). Inside that archive open following folders: "Text" and then "Game". Now you are in directory with many interesting folders like "Artifacts", "Spells" and "Creatures". In these folders there are .txt files with names (of creatures, artifacts etc.).

myythryyn
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby myythryyn » 25 Oct 2006, 13:42

but wouldnt that only change the names of unit locally?
i would think you would need to edit the unit names in the actual map file somewhere, not in the data directory....
maybe i misunderstoood you....

alavris
Scout
Scout

Unread postby alavris » 25 Oct 2006, 15:37

I don't think it's possible to change names of the units in way that the new names appear only in specified map. If you change them, they are changed for every map in the game and only on computer on which these changes were made.

Return to “Mapmaking Guild”