do you think they will ever update/improve the editor?

Maps and the art of mapmaking.
myythryyn
Assassin
Assassin

do you think they will ever update/improve the editor?

Unread postby myythryyn » 18 Oct 2006, 23:14

i was wondering if they will ever improve the editor, fix errors, add things, or if the editor is basically an "as is" product.

the way i see it, with how long it took them to release the editor, and fact that they are never on time for patches, and they havent released a patch in awhile, and now that they are working on an expansion pack, i bet that well never see any improvements, fixes or additions to the editor. what do you think?

if anything, just please, please nival put an "animations off/on" button to help with the extremely laggy perfomance of the editor with large maps.

the one thing im assuming they have to do is when they release the dwarven expansion pack, which is supposed to be very soon, they will have to update the editor. since there will be a new town, units, and a new terrain tileset with matching objects.
so maybe they will add fixes/improvements to the editor then.

though i suppose that might cause problems....for those people without the expansion set, then they cant use the new objects....or can they.....or they cant play maps with the new objects....hmmm, i think i just stumbled onto a whole other topic, what is going to happen with the editor when the expansion comes out? will only people with the expansion get to use the new objects in the editor, and play maps with those objects?
i myself am looking forward to seeing the new tilesets.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 18 Oct 2006, 23:37

You are probably right that there will be an updated version shipped with the expansion, but I think it will mostly be "polishing". There hasn't been too much complaining about the editor in the forums, and without proper feedback I can't see how Ubival would know that we're having problems with it...
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

myythryyn
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby myythryyn » 19 Oct 2006, 00:16

the editor works fine, but thats not any reason improvements cant be made.
the biggest issue for me is the extremely poor performance of the editor on large map sizes. i can only hope that something can be done to help that.
or even simple things, like adding an "undo" button.
or adding things like that square icon for fire lake, or fixing things like when you try to rotate objects for pixie, skeleton, and some other dwellings white squares appear. im sure theres lots of things they could do considering how popular the editor is.
i also remember reading something about the campaign feature being disabled, will they ever enable that?

for the expansion, im guessing the game will be considered "1.4" and maps made with the expansion pack objects will be the same verison, maps without would be 1.3.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 19 Oct 2006, 00:25

Well, if Ubi keep to their word of monthly updates we still have more patches due before the release of HoF, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Sir_Toejam
Nightmare
Nightmare

Unread postby Sir_Toejam » 19 Oct 2006, 01:10

the biggest issue for me is the extremely poor performance of the editor on large map sizes. i can only hope that something can be done to help that.
maybe I missed it, but if there isn't already, they should add the ability to completely turn off animation while editing the map. that would speed up things quite a bit.

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 19 Oct 2006, 04:01

I recall that when the editor was released it was said that there would be improvements upon it.

An "undo" function would be one of the best additions that could be implemented. I would also like to see the ability to make brushes. User made brushes could greatly speed up the process of making "too big for you" maps.

I would also like the ability to create custom heroes and at least one customizable artifact. The ability to make neutral heroes would also be great.

GOW
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

myythryyn
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby myythryyn » 19 Oct 2006, 04:39

yes, paintbrushes would be good GOW, you just reminded me that i was thinkning that awhile back...there was this spray paint brush feature in the Age of Wonders editor that was great, you could do mass terrain fast and easy, sprinkling certain terrain on the map.

and customizable artifacts and heroes(customizable and neutral)....all good things....

but somehow i have this feeling that improving the editor is on the very bottom priority of nivals list of things to do...on that list, youll probably find "improving the editor" somewhere near " fix "not enought movement points" "... ;)
but at least they will be forced to do something with the editor with the expansion pack so we can only hope they look it over....

Sir_Toejam
Nightmare
Nightmare

Unread postby Sir_Toejam » 19 Oct 2006, 05:37

that list, youll probably find "improving the editor" somewhere near " fix "not enought movement points" "...
I sure hope not, we already fixed that one.

the_teacher
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

REQUEST..almost a begging

Unread postby the_teacher » 19 Oct 2006, 09:49

The editor is nothing, imho, if the scripts are not available for multiplayer game. hope they consider this for a longer lasting heroes fever. An army of mapmakers, i bet , are awaiting for this feature more than other 100 new races, cause it will unleash their creativity and , trust me, more than being a flat map, with only objects placed on map, a bit of role-playing , a story ,will revamp the multiplayer, making it far more attractive, cause , i do hope, this game was intended for multiplayer also.

and, to not forget, give us a good portal on ubi server, at least the option to chat in main lobby, while creating a room, or alt-tab-ing the game.

pfff.... hope they do something about it

have a nice day

alavris
Scout
Scout

Unread postby alavris » 19 Oct 2006, 13:52

I have a feeling that in next patch we will get an undo button and turn on/off animation function. But no hope for working scripts in multiplayer game.

myythryyn
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby myythryyn » 19 Oct 2006, 16:59

Sir_Toejam wrote:
that list, youll probably find "improving the editor" somewhere near " fix "not enought movement points" "...
I sure hope not, we already fixed that one.
fixed? is there a mod to get rid of "not enought" ? funny how its up to us players to make these fixes....

you are very optimistic alavris. an undo button and an animations on/off feature would make things alot better....well just have to see.

but about multiplayer, as far ive read, not that ive heard officially, its not going to possible to have scripts in multiplayer. something about difficulty with networking the clients together with scripts.

Sir_Toejam
Nightmare
Nightmare

Unread postby Sir_Toejam » 19 Oct 2006, 22:04

fixed? is there a mod to get rid of "not enought" ? funny how its up to us players to make these fixes....
yup:

https://www.celestialheavens.com/homm5/mods/enought.zip

BTW, i really liked the "fury of the elements" map you made for the contest.

very creative use of terrain and teleporters.

decent story to boot!

omegaweix
Scout
Scout

Unread postby omegaweix » 23 Oct 2006, 10:28

Indeed, a "stop animations" and an "undo" button are on top of my wishlist too... and i hope that this will be fixed with the expansion....

I could also look forward to triggers for textboxes...i'm sooo sure that someone from nival could program this in no time, why won't they do us this small favor? Cause the way that textboxes are to implement now is quite circumstantial.

Might just be a dream but i would also appreciate a major overhaul (not to say: facilitation) of the scripting interface...
...i imagined something like pulldown menus as in Heroes 4 ( e.g. if X does Y then Z happens ) and the editor can compile these instructions into ...ehm.. "lua"(?) code that can be put manually where it has to belong....
... sadly this won't be likely to happen!

In short, yes i DO hope that the editor will be improved (not just polished)... with the expansion AND later on.
plastic people

silicone

never let them in your home

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Humakt » 25 Oct 2006, 16:55

Poor performance is a killer, same goes for no scripts in multiplayer.

AngelEyes
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby AngelEyes » 26 Oct 2006, 16:49

Yeah, the lagginess is what's keeping me from making maps in earnest. They really need to address this issue.

myythryyn
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby myythryyn » 26 Oct 2006, 17:09

AngelEyes wrote:Yeah, the lagginess is what's keeping me from making maps in earnest. They really need to address this issue.
i completely understand about the lag.
im almost finished a "too big for you" map, and right now its at the
"too much lag for you" point of making the map.
everything takes time now, and my progress has been slowed.
ive learnt to do other things while making large maps.
while the map loads, i go get a snack, then when i wait to switch between surface and underground, or vice versa, i check my email, then when i press the "AI pathing" button to see the AI red blocked paths, i listen to some music while i wait, doing things like clicking and dragging is now clicking and lagging, then dragging, and finally when im waiting for the map to save, i make posts like this :)
i really hope that they do something to improve the editors performance with large object filled maps....

alavris
Scout
Scout

Unread postby alavris » 26 Oct 2006, 19:42

myythryyn wrote:ive learnt to do other things while making large maps.
while the map loads, i go get a snack, then when i wait to switch between surface and underground, or vice versa, i check my email, then when i press the "AI pathing" button to see the AI red blocked paths, i listen to some music while i wait, doing things like clicking and dragging is now clicking and lagging, then dragging, and finally when im waiting for the map to save, i make posts like this :)
That was wonderful :lol: :applause: Someone from Nival should read this...

Sir_Toejam
Nightmare
Nightmare

Unread postby Sir_Toejam » 26 Oct 2006, 20:20

I find a HUGE difference in performance between the "too big for you" and the next smaller size.

Is that the experience of others, too?

myythryyn
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby myythryyn » 26 Oct 2006, 22:58

Sir_Toejam wrote:I find a HUGE difference in performance between the "too big for you" and the next smaller size.

Is that the experience of others, too?
the sad thing is, nival has never even made a "too big for you map" or any map that is...umm...whats the right word....interesting? no, complicated? or how about really big?....;) well my point is as far as i know nival hasnt ever created a map with the new larger map size, so they probably have no idea how bad the performance of the editor is with large object filled maps, so who knows if they will ever improve it.

and map size definetly affects the lag. when i made a small map, the difference in performance was very noticable, and making the map was alot less trying on my patience with minimal lag.
once again, im sure adding an "animations off" button would help alot....

Sir_Toejam
Nightmare
Nightmare

Unread postby Sir_Toejam » 26 Oct 2006, 23:50

the sad thing is, nival has never even made a "too big for you map" or any map that is...umm...whats the right word....interesting? no, complicated? or how about really big?....
all of the above?

Actually, my thinking is that Nival knew exactly what level of performance the extra large maps deliver, and this is why you never saw any of them before.

I bet you see a few in the expansion, though.

Return to “Mapmaking Guild”