Legendary maps - what is the secret? :)

Maps and the art of mapmaking.
cherko
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby cherko » 27 Feb 2006, 17:42

Maybe it's just me then, but I don't think those maps should be called "Legendary" if they're not uniqe.
I'm back!!!

Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Thelonious » 28 Feb 2006, 18:26

Veldrynus wrote:Agreed. For every 250$ you send me, I create a map ( XL, undergound, with all good stuff you can imagine ) !
Just asking; how long would it take?
Grah!

Veldrynus
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Veldrynus » 28 Feb 2006, 19:43

It depends...
Veldryn 15:15 And Vel found a dirty old jawbone of a walrus and put forth his hand, and took it, and in his unholy rage, he slew thirty four thousand men and children therewith.

ScarlettP
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby ScarlettP » 01 Mar 2006, 03:38

Sorry, Vel. I can't afford that. I DID break down and send Kalah a copy of H4 WOW for Christmas '04, so he could play my frelling campaign that he ended up having a 'staring' role in... then he came up with some other lame reason why he couldn't play it. :disagree: YEESH! I think my generocity is tapped out.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 01 Mar 2006, 07:47

Well,what did you expect from someone calling himself the great summoner? :devious: :devil:

Besides,we all know that vel would gladly continue making maps if we send him a jucy live wriggling white mouse every month :devil:

Veldrynus
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Veldrynus » 01 Mar 2006, 13:12

DaemianLucifer wrote: Besides,we all know that vel would gladly continue making maps if we send him a jucy live wriggling white mouse every month :devil:
Especially, if the box transporting the mouse is made of gold.
Veldryn 15:15 And Vel found a dirty old jawbone of a walrus and put forth his hand, and took it, and in his unholy rage, he slew thirty four thousand men and children therewith.

Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Thelonious » 02 Mar 2006, 19:40

Veldrynus wrote:It depends...
On the tip? ;)
Grah!

Veldrynus
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Veldrynus » 02 Mar 2006, 20:38

I prefer the term 'bribe'.

ScarlettP
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby ScarlettP » 03 Mar 2006, 11:54

ScarlettP
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby ScarlettP » 03 Mar 2006, 12:01

I'm re-playing WildBear's Back to the Ring right now. After doing Vel's "Rate a Mini Map" survey (Where did that thread go?) I realized that you really CAN NOT rate a map on just the way the mini map looks. Some of the games that I have enjoyed the most had rather so-so looking mini maps... but were decorated well and enjoyable to play.

So, although picture maps tend to get the most attention, they aren't nessessarily good GAMES. Maybe that's why so many of us rave over Angels are Back and Draconic, because they are both beautiful to look at and challenging games. While I thought Planeswalker had some of the most inovative map making elements and an great narative.

Ururam Tururam
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Ururam Tururam » 03 Mar 2006, 12:54

ScarlettP wrote: Maybe that's why so many of us rave over Angels are Back and Draconic, because they are both beautiful to look at and challenging games.
Heh heh, they look nice but they are hard to finish. :-] Making "angels" I've assumed that a sexy girl would sell herself well B-) and I was right, many people want to play this game because of the minimap. I hope that the skul minimap of Song of Wraith (which I am still translating, having very little time for it, sigh) would be popular because of its look too. But it is quite easy for a careful player.
Hoc est opus!
UT homepage: http://urtur.webpark.pl

Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Thelonious » 03 Mar 2006, 16:15

ScarlettP wrote:So, although picture maps tend to get the most attention, they aren't nessessarily good GAMES.
I usually go for maps that don't have a minimap like confetti thrown in the air. I, myself, try and create minimaps that could be seen somewhere on this world. I also tend to make a little corner of the former map on to the next one in my (thrown away) campaign. I think I'll do it again this try.
Grah!

wimfrits
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby wimfrits » 03 Mar 2006, 16:36

ScarlettP wrote:So, although picture maps tend to get the most attention, they aren't nessessarily good GAMES.
Agreed. I actually automatically like maps with picture minimaps less than 'normal' maps.
A picture minimap will most likely mean that gameplay has in some degree been sacrificed in order to make the picture minimap possible. Gameplay is more important to me than visuals.
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

cherko
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby cherko » 03 Mar 2006, 18:12

Many picture maps are actually big dissapointments Such a nice minimap, such a crappy map. Draconic is very good, tho.
I'm back!!!

Ururam Tururam
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Ururam Tururam » 05 Mar 2006, 11:05

Thelonious wrote: I, myself, try and create minimaps that could be seen somewhere on this world.
Something like this: Image?
Hoc est opus!

cherko
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby cherko » 05 Mar 2006, 15:35

I honestly didn't like that minimap. Looked so... weird.
I'm back!!!

Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Thelonious » 05 Mar 2006, 16:02

Ururam Tururam wrote:Something like this: Image?
Yeah something like that; just a bit less profesional ;)
Grah!

Veldrynus
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Veldrynus » 05 Mar 2006, 17:28

@ Ururam Tururam

According to the current status in the Minimap Rating Test, this minimap has the 7'th best rating out of 188 with 3.8 points. Max point is 4.2 while the lowest is 1.1.

@ Everybody

I need more help here. See this link for details :
viewtopic.php?t=1036

Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Thelonious » 05 Mar 2006, 17:59

I wanted to link it in my sig - but my sig became to big, so I left it out. You could link it though.
Grah!

Ururam Tururam
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Ururam Tururam » 05 Mar 2006, 21:52

cherko wrote:I honestly didn't like that minimap. Looked so... weird.
Oh, the real author of this shape is God Allmighty who created the island of Newfoundland which this minimap is quite a detailed image. :D
Hoc est opus!

Return to “Mapmaking Guild”