Regarding the H4 grass theme

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
cuc
Peasant
Peasant

Regarding the H4 grass theme

Unread postby cuc » 09 Apr 2008, 10:27

(Old forum members probably have thought of most things I'll discuss here.)

I know some people like the Grass adventure theme in H4, but I've always find it an oddity that sticks out in H4's otherwise beautiful soundtrack.

As we all know, H4's grass.mp3 is basically several themes for other terrains strung together, plus one theme not seen in other places, and a piece of dramatic music that seem to suit cutscenes better. It conveys nothing about the actual terrain, and because large parts of it is exactly the same as other themes, it completely fails at the function of HOMM's adventure themes, which is to change the game's atmosphere as we move our hero from one environment to another.

Since H4 had a rushed release, and Rob King mentioned somewhere that the H4 credit theme is completed just before the game went gold... perhaps they didn't finish the proper Grass theme in time, and have to use this version as a substitute?

However, there is the H4 OST:

http://www.bysmitty.com/Soundtracks/Heroes4/Heroes4.htm
http://www.amazon.com/Heroes-Might-Magi ... B000BQVACK

The only new track on the OST is Track 11, Wandering, a calm little piece of Celtic music. Whether it is the real Grass theme or not, it surely makes a very good replacement.:D

The track can be downloaded here.

(I understand that links to MP3 downloads puts this post into legally grey area and in danger of violating board rules, but MP3 links have often been excused here in the past, and the OST isn't that easy to find.)

UndeadHalfOrc
Titan
Titan

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 09 Apr 2008, 15:06

Don't mean to invade your thread but I just had to say that Heroes 2's Grass Theme is one of the best videogame song of all time, and the best song in the entire Heroes series. There, I said it B-)

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 09 Apr 2008, 15:12

Personaly, i love the song 'hope' really nice to listen to and great ingame...
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

Ya5MieL
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby Ya5MieL » 10 Apr 2008, 15:56

Would be nice if i could recall the grass theme, but im drawing a blank atm. What was it like?

All i remember that one of the themes in H4 was a direct copy of a melody from another game (something that king and romero don't do that often, recycling their work)

Return to “Heroes I-IV”