Heroes IV - Winds of War help needed - Mongo Campaign

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Raziel
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Heroes IV - Winds of War help needed - Mongo Campaign

Unread postby Raziel » 07 Jan 2006, 14:01

Ok - I'm trying to finish the Winds of War campaigns before Heroes V, and I am getting my butt kicked royally. I finished the Spazz one, but now in the third scenario for the Mongo campaign I get totalled by a stack of 'bounty hunters' who come across a bridge and destroy me just after I take the first haven. This stack contains 5 heroes, some catapults, and champions and I can do nothing against them. If I barricade myself in the city, they will never attack, If I attack them on the ground I usually can clear about half of them out before I'm decimated - any suggestions here? Mongo is a level 23 general I believe. Very little magic help to be found for him, since this usually happens by the end of the second week - I'm starting to think I should skip the first haven and go for the rest of the map... but maybe I'm wrong there too....

Finally, there used to be a site that had a lot of useful information for the campaigns - I think it was called Portals of Might & Magic - does it still exist? Or does the information exist anywhere else?

Thanks
M

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 07 Jan 2006, 17:15

Hmm... you could do the Hero bomb... Attack only with Mongo, kill one of their heros that retreat. Keep doing that until you kill them all...

Unfortunatly i don't recall how i won that one, but the one with Mysterio is the one i got stuck at.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Black Ghost
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Black Ghost » 07 Jan 2006, 17:47

I don't remember a lot but it was the most difficult point in the Mongo's campaign.

I'm not sure weather you have to capture the city near the bridge.
Truthly I suppose it's not possible to defeat the army of 5 heroes + at least 20 champs :| so I haven't fight with them.

I let those army take the Haven Castle and quickly marched to the goal town. Watch out for another army with 40-lev. General. (at the beginning he's in northern Haven but will try to caravan to stop you from taking the main castle.
I've omited it, and escaped from any battle. Focus on armies which you're able to defeat and attack the goal-town ;)

Mabye it's not the best strategy but, there's no way to win the battle versus much more numerous forces with 5555 General...

Raziel
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Raziel » 07 Jan 2006, 17:49

That's what I was starting to think - I had to do the same in the Spazz campaign - avoid the last army and just capture the goal city - which in all honesty seems a bit of a cheap tactic, but I agree that there doesn't seem to be another way to win...

Black Ghost
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Black Ghost » 07 Jan 2006, 17:56

Well that strategy was very usuful in Equilibris as the power of Life was increased (tactic is awesome, GM resurrection, stronger crusaders) ;)

I suppose that normaly it should be easier to win. :D The campaign was made considering that Life was weaker than other fractions so that's probably the reason of numeros armies, which in Eq are impossible to defeat 8|

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 07 Jan 2006, 18:07

I dont quite remember how I won,but I know that I used just mongo without creatures.But I wasnt a general,I was a scout,I think.And you can always abuse the AI.Let him take the town,then attack him(but dont let him exit the walls).With a few potions,it just might work.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 07 Jan 2006, 21:15

Raziel wrote:That's what I was starting to think - I had to do the same in the Spazz campaign - avoid the last army and just capture the goal city - which in all honesty seems a bit of a cheap tactic, but I agree that there doesn't seem to be another way to win...
Well as i recall the city has even more troops. I just checked my save game and i had killed those heroes but i had to trick the hero that protected the last town to move to another one before i could take it.

Try to attack them with Mongo and your best creature stack (to save Mongo from the Champions) and kill as many Champions as you can, then retreat. Once the Champions are out of the way it should be much easier.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Mutare Drake
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Mutare Drake » 08 Jan 2006, 14:32

Heh, I think I'm stuck on this scenario as well...I gave up playing though, *sigh* I'm a wimp. I suppose running around the enemy to just grab the goal town is the best idea, though right it is kinda not the greatest way to win.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 08 Jan 2006, 22:42

Mutare Drake wrote:Heh, I think I'm stuck on this scenario as well...I gave up playing though, *sigh* I'm a wimp. I suppose running around the enemy to just grab the goal town is the best idea, though right it is kinda not the greatest way to win.

Well the alternative is to wait until you have enought creatures to win agains the 60+ champions and 20+ catapults and lvl 30 Lord Commander hero plus other creatures. If you manage to kill the 6 heores at the begining it shouldn't be hard to take the rest of the map, just the final town.
Last edited by ThunderTitan on 09 Jan 2006, 22:21, edited 1 time in total.

[T]osHiro
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby [T]osHiro » 09 Jan 2006, 11:46

First, take out the 'Bounty Hunters'. They usually stick together so wait till they divide among themselves and that's when you strike. Avoid the Champions and scout around flagging mines and dwellings, that helps to confuse them and increases the chances of the BH to split and slows down their army production.

Bring along your most powerful army with you, just in case you bump into a good chance to defeat them. Hopefully you have Life Magic, it could really help you in battle too.
Round Table Olympics '07 Image

Mutare Drake
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Mutare Drake » 09 Jan 2006, 21:34

I can't remember if I had scouting in that game...I ought to make sure I have it. Hmm, maybe it's just 'cause I'm behind on patches (can't remember the ones I've got), but seems to me that the AI always knows when I'm around, scouting or no. I'll be a few days from his town and he'll *suddenly* return with his troops and won't go away for anything. Am I going about it wrong or is it a bug?

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 09 Jan 2006, 22:16

Mutare Drake wrote:I can't remember if I had scouting in that game...I ought to make sure I have it. Hmm, maybe it's just 'cause I'm behind on patches (can't remember the ones I've got), but seems to me that the AI always knows when I'm around, scouting or no. I'll be a few days from his town and he'll *suddenly* return with his troops and won't go away for anything. Am I going about it wrong or is it a bug?
I think it's a balance thing! The AI can't see you but does "feel" that you are around! If you have pathfinding you can back away from the castle and wait for it to leave, than try to beat him to the town (might take a couple of tries but it will eventualy work)!

Mutare Drake
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Mutare Drake » 10 Jan 2006, 21:10

ThunderTitan wrote:The AI can't see you but does "feel" that you are around!
Yeh, and I bet I'm also not the only one who's been attacked by a wandering neutral stack when I was not in the "yellow" range. Probably same sort of thing...

Anyhows, thankee for the pathfinding, if I get time I'll restart the thing.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 10 Jan 2006, 22:04

Mutare Drake wrote:
ThunderTitan wrote:The AI can't see you but does "feel" that you are around!
Yeh, and I bet I'm also not the only one who's been attacked by a wandering neutral stack when I was not in the "yellow" range. Probably same sort of thing...

Anyhows, thankee for the pathfinding, if I get time I'll restart the thing.
That's why I don't use Mobile Guards. You might not actualy need Pathfinding for it to work as the ideal situation is to make his uberhero stay in the other town. If you do this he should only try to come back to your goal castle when you are way closer that he is and he probably won't catch up anyway. You should try it that way before restarting the campaign.

csarmi
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby csarmi » 10 Jan 2006, 22:30

I did kill them, but it was a long time ago. It shows just right how powerful a stack of multiple heroes can be. Post the save and I'll tell you how to do it. I just hope you developed your hero fine.

Brainster
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Brainster » 14 Jul 2012, 01:23

I had a somewhat weird way of beating this scenario. Mongo was hanging outside the next to last town, and I was shuttling more and more troops to him, when suddenly the Lord Commander appeared and moved into the town I was waiting to conquer. So I just dashed over the bridge and took the goal town rather easily.

Return to “Heroes I-IV”