H4 Extractor-Builder Problems

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Willow
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

H4 Extractor-Builder Problems

Unread postby Willow » 17 Nov 2006, 17:47

Hi everyone,

I've recently tried to use the H4 Extractor-Builder to edit the music.h4r file. I wanted to replace some music tracks, but it didn't seem to work. I followed the steps carefully, made sure all the music files were in mp3 format and correctly named... but when I finished building the h4r file and loaded the game, the tracks I had replaced just wouldn't play. The other tracks that I didn't replace were fine though.

Does anyone have any idea why this might be, or have an alternative solution to replacing music tracks in the game?

Thanx in advance,

Willow

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 17 Nov 2006, 19:47

I would first look in your mp3 format. It should be:

128kbit, 44100Hz, Joint Stereo, MPEG-1 layer 3 (the last usuall is, but avoid vbr also lame codec is pure classic)

That should help ;)
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Willow
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Willow » 17 Nov 2006, 20:31

Ah thank you, I'll try that and see if it works. The rest was correct, but I think the codec might have been different :)

Willow
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Willow » 25 Nov 2006, 13:27

Hey Pol,

I followed your suggestions, but the sound editors I use don't seem to have the Pure Classic codec (I use SoundForge and CoolEditPro2). I've tried everything else I can think of... any other suggestions? ;|

HellSpawn
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby HellSpawn » 26 Nov 2006, 17:58

There is a free encoder that I've used for modifying the HoMM4 music which has the Lame codec...You can find it here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/cdexos/

I've ran into some problems while trying to create a successful edit...
1. It's best if the track has the exact same time, a few milliseconds over is no problem.

2. I had to use my Hex Editor to make my tracks work right....

If you need to know how to use the Hex Editor, just post a reply....

Later

Willow
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Willow » 01 Dec 2006, 23:15

Hi,

Thanx for the link, I'll try that out. Some help for hex editing would also be great :) Do you know of any freeware hex editors I can download?

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 02 Dec 2006, 00:05

Lame codec. and audio editor Audacity
Hexeditors are free, well, some of them.... (Like this one for example)

How put lame into audacity ?

Maybe EAC can be somehow helpful too.

~Sorry, I didn't noticed your question before it doesn't pop out in "Post since last visit" for me. Ups.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Return to “Heroes I-IV”