Downloadable HEroes of Might and Magic II Gold

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
gravyluvr
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Downloadable HEroes of Might and Magic II Gold

Unread postby gravyluvr » 26 Sep 2006, 19:15

Found something of interest...

Dell has HOMM2 as a downloadable accessory crediting UBI so I'm guessing it's legal but would that mean that it allows play without CD?

CLICK HERE FOR SITE

Has anyone tried this?

It still lists 95/98 as Required OS

I always thought it would be great to get a MOD team working on HOMM2 for XP. It would have to be called the "Forge Town" or something like that.

I also saw it on TRY GAMES but I've never heard of them and don't know if that's a legal site. It does say UBI and cost money so I'm guessing that's legal too, but still 95/98 as OS.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
If I were a flower, I'd be a really big flame-throwing flower with five heads.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 26 Sep 2006, 19:26

The full download will allow you to play without a CD of course.

The free version only provides 60 minutes of gameplay, which could be quite frustrating if the program closes just as you were about to attack a town...

gravyluvr
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby gravyluvr » 26 Sep 2006, 20:56

But it would give you enough time to fiugure out if it works with your Operating System. ;)
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
If I were a flower, I'd be a really big flame-throwing flower with five heads.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 27 Sep 2006, 00:38

True!

AZSportsFan
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby AZSportsFan » 29 Sep 2006, 19:25

I may look into this. I haven't played I or II, so this may be a cheap way into II. Has anyone tried the download yet? It is the full game? (meaning music, script, etc)

AZSportsFan
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby AZSportsFan » 29 Sep 2006, 19:40

I did download it and try it out on a relatively new (3 months old) XP laptop. It seems to run fine. I only tried it in Win98 compatibility mode, so more testing is required before I buy it. Is there supposed to be constant music on the adventure map? I hear sound effects just fine (galloping horse, etc) and the story/scenario intro played fine, but I am wondering if the background music should be constant or not...

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 29 Sep 2006, 21:05

The background music is mostly constant. It changes whenever you move to a different terrain type. There are also sound effects when you approach mines, campfires, and creature dwellings.

AZSportsFan
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby AZSportsFan » 29 Sep 2006, 21:54

Kristo wrote:The background music is mostly constant. It changes whenever you move to a different terrain type. There are also sound effects when you approach mines, campfires, and creature dwellings.
Thanks, I will check again when I get home from work. It seemed to have some sound issues, but it could have been any number of factors.

Darkion
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Darkion » 29 Sep 2006, 22:46

AZSportsFan wrote:but I am wondering if the background music should be constant or not...
Unfortunately, it seems the music files are not included in the downloadable version. The regular sounds effects are in, but there is no music in the adventure map or the town screens. It's not so much of a bother in Homm I, but it's sort of depressing with Homm II.

AZSportsFan
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby AZSportsFan » 30 Sep 2006, 00:42

Darkion wrote:
AZSportsFan wrote:but I am wondering if the background music should be constant or not...
Unfortunately, it seems the music files are not included in the downloadable version. The regular sounds effects are in, but there is no music in the adventure map or the town screens. It's not so much of a bother in Homm I, but it's sort of depressing with Homm II.
Yeah, when I realized that the download was under 200MB, I figured this was the case. That is a deal-breaker for me.

On another note, I downloaded HoMM I from the same site (TRY GAMES linked above) and it runs fine on my home XP box - just lacks music. Since my HoMM experience started with HoMM III, it was quite a difference. I was blasted by half a dozen heroes not 10 turns into the game! I need to find it on CD.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 30 Sep 2006, 11:39

Is it possible to place music files manually? That way you could get the music you want...
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 30 Sep 2006, 11:44

Kalah wrote:Is it possible to place music files manually? That way you could get the music you want...
But wouldn't that be illegal?!
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Darkion
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Darkion » 30 Sep 2006, 15:27

ThunderTitan wrote: But wouldn't that be illegal?!
Uh, how could it be illegal? Adding music content to a legit game would be just a form of modding... or do you mean something else?

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 30 Sep 2006, 15:50

Kalah wrote:Is it possible to place music files manually? That way you could get the music you want...
Yes, but that would require him to have the music. The only legit way to get it is on the CD. And if he just wants music in general, he can run Winamp in the background. :D

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 30 Sep 2006, 18:59

Darkion wrote: Uh, how could it be illegal? Adding music content to a legit game would be just a form of modding
Not if the owner didn't want you to have it and sht. And modding is illegal according to the EULA anyway.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 30 Sep 2006, 19:00

Kristo wrote: Yes, but that would require him to have the music. The only legit way to get it is on the CD. And if he just wants music in general, he can run Winamp in the background. :D
What if you extracted the music and then lost/broke the CD?

Darkion
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Darkion » 30 Sep 2006, 19:26

ThunderTitan wrote: Not if the owner didn't want you to have it and sht. And modding is illegal according to the EULA anyway.
Hmm, that's a bummer. I was thinking of just using some of the HOMM III music files since they're already in the same 3DO folder.

Anyway, I think these online stores should be more upfront with the fact that the games they are selling are not the original complete versions, because after they have been downloaded you can't get a refund.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 30 Sep 2006, 20:40

Darkion wrote:Hmm, that's a bummer. I was thinking of just using some of the HOMM III music files since they're already in the same 3DO folder.
Oh, if you own the music you can. The thing with mods like that is that i don't think that they can sue you for money because there's no damage, so they don't bother. And i heard the EULA might not be legally binding as you only sign it after you completed the transaction.

And my original query was to the mods about their "no warez" rule.

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 30 Sep 2006, 21:05

ThunderTitan wrote:And my original query was to the mods about their "no warez" rule.
Are you saying you smell the stench of hypocrisy in the air?

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 30 Sep 2006, 21:14

mr.hackcrag wrote: Are you saying you smell the stench of hypocrisy in the air?
I see that you want to join the looping leprechauns club as well :devious:

Return to “Heroes I-IV”