Replace HoMM4 portraits *without* Equilibris?

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Echo
Demon
Demon

Replace HoMM4 portraits *without* Equilibris?

Unread postby Echo » 17 Jan 2016, 23:55

Hello. I've been trying to replace HoMM 4 portraits, but I can't seem to do it right (the Equilibris utility ROCKS, but it won't work on the regular game T-T). I've got ResEdit (can't seem to actually edit anything in it, just view, what am I doing wrong?), and I've got the mh4 utility that I totally don't understand...

I've extracted the portrait files from storm.h4r, I've tried to replace them with those from Equilibris portraits .h4r, but I'm clueless how to do it. I don't know what the packing is about. I can't just open the folder with everything+replaced files and pack them into .h4r file, I don't see an option and I'm feeling progressively more dumb. Could anyone help me?

Alas, it seems that some maps cannot be played with Equilibris, so I'd like to get a way to do it. I didn't know it was an issue, and then I got stumped by fairies and later crusaders in 'My Brother's Keeper', earlier wondering why does the hint say Mantis fight is easy if it's SO luck dependent... well, turns out Equilibris causes the creatures to appear in 2-3 stacks even though they're set to be in just 1. Which made the map unwinnable. Sadpanda :(

Baronus
Assassin
Assassin

Re: Replace HoMM4 portraits *without* Equilibris?

Unread postby Baronus » 18 Jan 2016, 10:05

Are you used this program?
http://download.fileplanet.com/ftp1/str ... FK080B.ZIP
Its for orginal game not for Equlibris.

The best wersion MH4.096
http://supershare.pl/?d=FD5A42D32

Open BUILD h4l file. And just touch equi. It's done.
If you want build equi file extract file and using MH4 rebuild for you equi. You can edit it in notebook. Replace extracted by you file. Build [new.h4r] file. It works in oryginal game. And look in game how is effect.

Echo
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Echo » 18 Jan 2016, 13:11

I've tried using the FK file, I've got some newer version, but it gives me an error "Name length is overflow."

But isn't equi file an equilibris one and without portraits, too? I don't understand :(

Baronus
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Baronus » 18 Jan 2016, 16:44

Yes in eq. there is equi(libris) too. But i tell about equi file which is made by Mh4.096. Its text to build h4r file. Just extract eg. portraits by Mh4 and see. There are equi with list of extracted resources. If you open build h4r file and touch equi MH4 build you h4r file with portraits inside. Beware not to delete orginal files. Do it in special folder.

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Karmakeld » 18 Jan 2016, 18:01

I asked Dalai some time ago if there was a way to add new portraits to non Equi version, and presumably not, but he would have to do some tests, which has remained unanswered since.
But I'm curious if this idea could work.
I've extracted the portrait files from storm.h4r, I've tried to replace them with those from Equilibris portraits .h4r
Equilibris didn't change any portraits, so the portrait.h4 doesn't contain new portraits. I'm no good with these matters either, but I'm uncertain what this action should achieve..?
There is a facetool, which allows you to create a new_mod file, but that only works in equi version. It's quite easy to use though. But you do need another program to edit the portrait, as the facetool merely replace them.

But I think I will try out the MH4 program and follow Baronus' steps and see if it makes sense to me.

Side note, Equi changelog, changed neutrals to always appear in 3 stacks (if possible). But regarding this, you should stick to the version any map or campaign refers to as being suited for.
I'm silent in seven languages - and I got all my familys fear.
Everytime you throw dirt, you loose a little ground

Echo
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Echo » 18 Jan 2016, 20:41

Well, I changed the portraits for Equilibris a while back using the FaceTool utility (only for Equi :(), it seems to have packed the changed files into a portraits.h4r file. Mh4 can extract those files, and I found files of the same name in storm.h4r where I tried to put those. The portraits.h4r file can be copied and moved to a new installation allowing to preserve the changes to portraits as long as Equilibris is installed.

I tried to do what I understood I should do, but I'm too green :( I messed something up, it did nothing, but I don't know what I failed at. What I did:

1. extracted modified portrait files from Equilibris' portraits.h4r
2. extracted everything from original storm.h4r (that's where I need to put modified portrait files, right?)
3. replaced extracted portrait files in the storm folder with those from extracted portraits folder
4. opened equi.h4r, selected 'build h4l file'
5. selected storm.h4l file from extracted storm folder and clicked 'build'
6. replaced storm.h4r in the Data with the one that MH4 made

Nothing happened :(

I've seen people replacing their intro screens and modifying original campaigns, it IS possible, I'm just not getting how :wall: I have no idea what do you mean about modifying the list file. There's also the file new_mod.h4r, and there are modified portraits there as .h4d files, but again, no clue what I'm to do with that.

Baronus
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Baronus » 18 Jan 2016, 21:11

You must learn Mh4 first.
Build files with names:
new.h4r
new_mod.h4r for equilibris.
It works if you put in data.

1. extracted modified portrait files from Equilibris' portraits.h4r

good!

2. extracted everything from original storm.h4r (that's where I need to put modified portrait
files, right?)
For what???!!!

2. Open equi file using txt edit. Rename portraits.h4r to new.h4r. Save.
3. Build new.h4r ONLY WITH PORTRAITS YOU EXTRACTED!
4. Put in data.
5. See in game.

Echo
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Echo » 18 Jan 2016, 21:28

Okay, so I'm both an idiot and a genius.

Idiot:
- no idea whatsoever how to build a new.h4r file
- can't find any equi file that I can open with text editor

Genius:
- I've made it work without using M4H whatsoerver, lol
- after you said new.h4r is the same as new_mod.h4r only for vanilla game I just copied new_mod.h4r and renamed it to new.h4r and it worked

It won't help with anything but portraits, but that's all I wanted to do, so that's a victory here, haha. Thanks for your help, wouldn't have figured it out without the hint xD

Baronus
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Baronus » 18 Jan 2016, 21:54

First you must build equi before build h4r. Mh4 built it for you always you extracted.
Better learn Mh4. If you want do in this files.

Echo
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Echo » 19 Jan 2016, 00:20

No need for me, I got everything I wanted so luckily I don't need to learn MH4 :) But thanks nonetheless. Maybe your explanations will help someone dropping by here in the future. Cheers.

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Karmakeld » 19 Jan 2016, 17:03

Did you make some custom portraits yourself which you used to replace? And can you decide which portraits you replace? I'm quite curious about this, so I'm hoping you could post some screenshots..

Baronus
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Baronus » 19 Jan 2016, 18:27

I found only two places with HIV portraits:
http://modhomm3.free.fr/
https://www.celestialheavens.com/forum/7/12752
There are a few portraits only.

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Karmakeld » 19 Jan 2016, 19:45

I never really felt the ones in the first link fitted the style of H4, but I'm quite familiar with the other link. I once saw images of new necro heroes, but no sadly no download link..

Baronus
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Baronus » 19 Jan 2016, 22:35

You can copy background for all faction with empty circle and paste what you find. There are a big packs portraits to Heroes III eg. Era. That is fastest way.

Echo
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Echo » 22 Jan 2016, 15:23

Hey. Yea I have. I cut some faces from art I found online and made portraits from them :) I was too lazy to plug in the tablet so it's all mouse work, but here's a picture: http://imgur.com/9MEOW6n

I've done it for my personal use so I didn't care much for finding images fitting the style of H4, to be honest, I just chose whatever I felt like and slapped them together quickly to actually play the game not dabble with cutting hair and fixing the edges :D I've only made about 2-3 for each alignment. Sufficient :)
Last edited by Anonymous on 22 Jan 2016, 15:28, edited 2 times in total.

Baronus
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Baronus » 22 Jan 2016, 15:33

Good work. As you know there is not a lot portraits to HIV. So are needed.

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Karmakeld » 22 Jan 2016, 23:12

Though perhaps not truly H4 style, I still think they look good. Care to share a link with the portrait file for a closer look?

Baronus
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Baronus » 28 Jan 2016, 09:43

I found another pack of high quality heroes IV portrais:

http://equilibris.celestialheavens.com/ ... 0&start=20

Very good done:

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Karmakeld » 28 Jan 2016, 09:57

Indeed they are. Some are quite familiar with some of the original portraits, but they look nice. Thx for sharing.

Return to “Heroes I-IV”