Dragon's Fate Thread (Ver 1.5 at CH)

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
jeff

Unread postby jeff » 07 May 2006, 15:03

Ynhockey wrote:I reached the part on Map 3 where I need to get the faerie scroll.

I have already contacted Faros, Lemarr, etc., did all the side quests up to that point, and Karth has Expert NM. Also I got rid of each additional hero because the map properties say Least Powerful Hero should have the NM at level 2 (or more). Since the hero portrait shows Lorelei, clearly Karth is the least powerful hero (accoding to the game, actually he is much more powerful).

Is there something else I need to do? The conservatory says that it's temporarily closed because of a fire.

EDIT: I misread the conditions and now realize that if either hero has expert NM, this should work. But it doesn't. Please help :)

EDIT 2: Just tried placing Karth in front of Lorelei in the army order so Karth becomes 'more powerful'. Apparently this has made the script work. This is probably a bug and should be fixed.
Well I am glad you got it to work, :D the scripts can be changed to check Karth and Lorelei as opposed to most/least powerful. There are several conditionals associated with that and many now may not be needed. Orginially I did not have Karth start map 1 with nature magic, so the scripts you were seeing were put there allowing you to hire a hero and hopefully develop them to expert level and therefore the most/least conditional. As I said I will of course check it and see if any of the scripting can now be removed.

In fact since this is the spoiler thread, I have safeguards in map 3 ensuring Karth will be an expert, so that whole script can now be greatly simplified.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Ynhockey
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Ynhockey » 08 May 2006, 11:35

Another issue: the boat that the guy gives on map 4 can be taken by the computer, which it was in my case because I had other priorities when I entered the quest hut. Now I can't complete the quest or find the artifact on that island :( what can I do? The computer army on the boat doesn't have a hero and it seems to be 'asleep' - doesn't look like it will ever dock.

IMO there should at least be a shipyard somewhere on the map.

Also two text errors:
In a story about Nathaniel somewhere, it says: He ... prove herself
and
In the thing that Hastner says (I think - might be Fiona), it says something like 'they wanted to conqueror ...' (look for 'conqueror').

Hope that helps.

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 08 May 2006, 12:58

Ynhockey wrote:Another issue: the boat that the guy gives on map 4 can be taken by the computer, which it was in my case because I had other priorities when I entered the quest hut. Now I can't complete the quest or find the artifact on that island :( what can I do? The computer army on the boat doesn't have a hero and it seems to be 'asleep' - doesn't look like it will ever dock.

IMO there should at least be a shipyard somewhere on the map.

Also two text errors:
In a story about Nathaniel somewhere, it says: He ... prove herself
and
In the thing that Hastner says (I think - might be Fiona), it says something like 'they wanted to conqueror ...' (look for 'conqueror').

Hope that helps.
The text errors being identified do help clean up the final release. I'll add a triggered event to the academy city on the lake that will give it a shipyard after you visit the quest hut. What's worse is the quest is required to complete the map.

Another corner a player can paint themself into occurs in map 5. If you do not pay attention to the text and fail to get Lorelei's Stealth ability up to GM, you can not finish the map. I put warnings in, but the player needs to take the opportunites when they present themselves. Stealth is not the favorite ability of a lot of players, but you need it in this map.

In general if you open a new area by some action, it is best to procede into that area. I blocked them for one of two reasons, either to ensure you complete a quest or to prevent the AI access keeping them from getting something you need. If you open area the AI also can get any items that maybe on the other side.

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Need Help In Map 6

Unread postby HodgePodge » 09 May 2006, 21:53

I've already captured the towns of Brandywind, Steamboat & Hawk's Nest; but what do I need to do to coax the Faerie Dragons to join Big Sky? Faerie Dragon dwellings aren't allowed in any of the Preserve cities. :(
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

jeff

Re: Need Help In Map 6

Unread postby jeff » 09 May 2006, 23:30

HodgePodge wrote:I've already captured the towns of Brandywind, Steamboat & Hawk's Nest; but what do I need to do to coax the Faerie Dragons to join Big Sky? Faerie Dragon dwellings aren't allowed in any of the Preserve cities. :(
You must visit their Magic Forest. It is located in the underground to the far southeast.

Also some people are having difficulties with getting the ice to melt in map 2. It requires 2 conversations at East Gorge and these conversations will occur on Different Days, then a trip to the farm to find a book.
Last edited by Anonymous on 12 May 2006, 12:00, edited 2 times in total.

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 11 May 2006, 12:15

Please note I sent the wrong version to CH on May 10th (late). I will send the new version when Robenhagen gets back from his holiday. If you need the new version email or PM me and I'll send it to you, sorry for the confusion. It comes from trying too hard to be pro-active I am using 2 computers to edit and fix things you are finding and three computers to check email and posts and I forgot to update one of the files and it is the one that got sent. Version 1.3b closes the door on a problem some have run into. Please use this version before map 6, unless you have started map 6 and Agraynel talked to you. If she talked to you and gave you the quest details, just press on. Make sure you have "Neska Lavin" not Neska. Even if you have Nesk Lavin load the new version before starting map 8. I am going to slow down and hopefully end this string of stupidly simple mistakes.

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 13 May 2006, 00:39

Just pushing this up so people can see that they need to get in touch with me.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 13 May 2006, 03:17

You can send it to me as well and I'll update the map (on Saturday morning I guess):

angelspit@celestialheavens.com

Robenhagen won't be back until Sunday if I remember correctly.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 13 May 2006, 03:44

Angelspit wrote:You can send it to me as well and I'll update the map (on Saturday morning I guess):

angelspit@celestialheavens.com

Robenhagen won't be back until Sunday if I remember correctly.
Thank you it is on it's way to you. Version 1.3c.

Too all version 1.3b that I have sent to many of you plays to conclusion, but 1 variant of one of the four possible endings plays strangely, but it does play to the end. That is the only fix in 1.3c that is not part of 1.3b.

GreyWolf
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby GreyWolf » 16 May 2006, 06:45

I've started this intriguing, and stimulating campaign anew and am stuck in the same place. I have visited East Gorge, have the Flaming Sword, Emerald Longbow, the quest log is clear excepting the teal keymaster and every town except East Groge (purple) is under the red flag.

When I approach the the cave in the north I keep getting the message I must explore Talon's past. I've explored the whole map but I must be missing something obvious.

Thanks jeff for what promises to be an exiting adventure.

Just a footnote, I've bought and played many 'puter games, including but not limited to, KNOTOR 1 and 2, Elder Scrolls Morrowind and Obvlion, Battle for Middle Earth, Gothic 1 and 2, Sacred, Fable, Dreamfall, Planescape, Harbinger, Fallout 1 and 2 but I keep coming back to Heros IV.

I think I paid forty bucks for the original disc and ten bucks for each of the expansions and have gotten more gameplay from Heros IV than all the other games combined thanks to the mapmakers. I've played all the campaigns and most of the maps available from CH and have enjoyed them to the max. Thanks to all the talented mapmakers!¡!

/Grey
...no matter where you go, there you are...

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 16 May 2006, 10:32

GreyWolf wrote:
When I approach the the cave in the north I keep getting the message I must explore Talon's past. I've explored the whole map but I must be missing something obvious.

/Grey
It sounds like you need to go back to East Gorge for a second conversation. It occurs on a different game day from the first conversation. During this second visit you receive a sextant. The sextant itself is not vital though it does carryover, but it is given during this conversation. After that go NNE of East Gorge and there is an abandoned farm, then you should be able to finish the map. :D It takes about 5 game days of all of the logbook text to run, if you do not want to wait, that's ok. The opening text in the next map with Talon differs depending on how many of the logbook text events actually ran (The ones that did not run will run there). So you will see all of them either in map 2 or map 5.

Be sure you are using version 1.4, I believe I emailed it to you, if not download it at CH.
Last edited by Anonymous on 16 May 2006, 13:05, edited 1 time in total.

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 16 May 2006, 10:57

Another version alredy? Gotta get it soon, amazing work you do Jeff :-D

jeff

Text takes up the Whole Screen

Unread postby jeff » 16 May 2006, 13:02

There is a situation that occurs twice in the entire campaign, that situation is the text takes up the whole screen and there is no way to move the mouse to the OK button. This really is no problem, B-) just push the enter key and the sequence continues normally. You can also change the screen resolution and this will also work. This is not a bug (so it is not on my immediate fix list), but it is an annoyance which will be corrected at a later date after I sift through the suggestions I hope you will send me.
:D
Orfinn wrote:Another version alredy? Gotta get it soon, amazing work you do Jeff :-D
Hopefully the last except for a final version taking into account the various inputs I have been receiving. V 1.4 plays to the end of the campaign, I have done it personally. ;)

GreyWolf
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Thanks jeff...

Unread postby GreyWolf » 17 May 2006, 21:20

...gimmie a dope slap for that one, I should have realized a return visit to E.G. was needed ;-)

Thanks for a great campaign!¡!

/Grey

GreyWolf
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby GreyWolf » 21 May 2006, 02:43

I just finished Dragon's Fate and what an incredible adventure it was!¡!

Thanks, jeff, for a magnificent work of art, no pressure but when can we expect a sequel/prequel?¿? ;-)

/Grey

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 21 May 2006, 16:50

GreyWolf wrote: I just finished Dragon's Fate and what an incredible adventure it was!¡!

Thanks, jeff, for a magnificent work of art, no pressure but when can we expect a sequel/prequel?¿? ;-)

/Grey
I am glad you enjoyed it. Right now I am just running through storylines for the prequels/sequels. It depends how much work I can get done this summer.

I am curious which of the endings you played. The four endings are triggered by the different ways you can deal with Vixen. I would guess you followed the suggestions and that leads to the only happy ending. Attacking her with Talon only (Lamentia not present in army) triggers a path of two endings, and of course whether Lamentia lets her live.

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 21 May 2006, 17:40

jeff wrote: I am curious which of the endings you played. The four endings are triggered by the different ways you can deal with Vixen. I would guess you followed the suggestions and that leads to the only happy ending. Attacking her with Talon only (Lamentia not present in army) triggers a path of two endings, and of course whether Lamentia lets her live.
Dragon's Fate really is quite an enjoyable adventure. Anyone who hasn't played it yet, I highly recommend it. Of course, it is a more mature campaign, as the storyline is complex and requires reading … which for me, added substance & pleasure to my gaming experience.

Well, I don't want to reveal too much, but I'll disclose the ending(s) I chose … seeing that I'm a "happy-ending" kind of person, I chose Eáránë instead of Lorelei's sister … but only because I'm such a romantic at heart. :-D

Also, I only had Talon against Vixen; and of course, seeing that Lamentia is really such a good-hearted girl, she didn't kill Vixen, as her true love requested. Talon goes off to get married & everyone lives happily ever after.

I'm looking forward to replaying Dragon's Fate soon. Thanks again Jeff, for all the hours of fun you have given us. :)
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 22 May 2006, 00:44

Thank you those are kind words. To be honest Dragon’s Fate is about 75% of what I had intended at one point. There were a few side stories I did not develop as much as I had hoped, and I had planned an entire Dark Path for Talon that would have started during the second map if he refused Anium's request to capture Theritos and carry on from there. There are remnants of that as a few of the quests are in fact different, but I had intended to have a different storyline to accompany it. But after three years and my fear the imminent release of Heroes V would lessen interest I decided to leave those for a possible re-release at another time. After Wimfrits and Robenhagen finished playtesting it, I did in fact add a lot of depth to Talon’s companions, including the dark decisions Karth was forced to make, but that is one of the side stories that I had wanted to do more with. However I had emailed Wimfrits for some advice almost 4 months after he had finished his test, I had replayed each map in turn several times and each time I added more. My question to him is when to stop, and he replied stop now or it will never get released. He was of course correct. It was during those many additions that the bugs of the first few maps occurred and I should have had someone do a playtest of the release version and they would have been quickly caught and fixed, a lesson learned. It is good that the players seem to be enjoying it, not bad for a first effort. Except for 2 Heroes 3 maps that were never finished, these are my first eight maps. As far as any next release, it will depend on how much interest remains with Heroes IV maps remember it will take awhile to produce one; I am considering whether to use H-IV, Equilibris or Heroes V if it has a decent and campaign capable editor, though that is less likely. It’s been over a week since version 1.4 was released and people are finishing the campaign, so for now I am just taking some time off and considering new storylines. I do want to start a few threads/polls to find out want peoples preferences are as to format and story direction, so look for those over the next few weeks.

GreyWolf
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

What HodgePodge said ;-)

Unread postby GreyWolf » 25 May 2006, 04:07

I chose the same ending she did, sigh, just an ole softy I guess but I intend to replay it soon and take the dark path...

I did the same with KOTOR I & II, played the lightside on the 1st trip through and succumbed to the darkside on replay ;-)

I really enjoy rpg scenerios with choices that affect alignment and outcome, no matter what game I'm playing as it adds replay value.

jeff, you've done an outstanding job in creating a non-linear adventure and I look forward to more of your work...

/Grey

slimoli
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby slimoli » 25 May 2006, 14:08

I can't finish map 6. I couldn't form any alliance and all I could do was to conquer all the preserves and did the golden dragon quest. What should I do do have an alliance with the other guys? I took and return heaven and academies several times but this wasn't enough to convince the other guys. Please, I need help.

Thanks

Return to “Heroes I-IV”