Heroes 3 custom rules

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
MeCho
Peasant
Peasant

Heroes 3 custom rules

Unread postby MeCho » 12 Nov 2013, 18:21

I was thinking about persuading some of my friends to play online with me as the most skilled(not that im any good :D ) and the event organizer i would have to set up some sort of rules i did look up on the net the rules which ladder players use and i seemed to have disagreed with most of them so i made my own custom rules what do you think of them ?Maybe there are some of your favorite rules that are missing here ?Feel free to ask if you have any questions about my reasoning for my choices

So the rules:

Town Portal : 1use/day per hero

Fly & Angel Wings: May not use it to snatch artifacts from creatures (chests and resources are ok)

Conflux: May build but not upgrade Firebirds

Neutrals: If they flee must not pursue them (to retain some pace and tactical combat)

Hit N Run: If you cast armageddon,inferno or chain lightning on the first turn you may not flee for 2 more turns

Red Penalty: Red may not attack any player controled towns on day 1 regardless whether or not he purchased new units

On debate: These are the ones that i am thinking about:

Arch Angel Penalty: Archangels may not attack Arch Devils on the first combat round turn unless fighting on lava terrain

Diplomacy: Disabled

Logistics: May not choose hero with specialty Logistics

Salamandre
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Salamandre » 12 Nov 2013, 18:29

IMO, more rules you choose, less you will enjoy the game because it will become just a hack and slash, the biggest army will always win. Still, one rule is good if both agree: no diplo, for obvious reasons. All other things have a counter and are interesting to handle.

I had so much fun and adrenaline to find my opponent had dimension door and 1 phoenix so he could hit and run me anywhere, at any moment. Yet he lost after I figured how to stop him. It does not always work but scratching your head for creative solutions makes each game unique.

MeCho
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby MeCho » 12 Nov 2013, 19:12

The Phoenix is insane its 3 points faster than Azure meaning you will always get to cast your Armageddon or whatever and run away if you attack even if they have Cape of Velocity not to mention the dirt cheap cost and ridiculous growth

As for diplomacy yes its ridiculously good and joiners are game breaking but its good for both players unlike the freaking Phoenix its balanced since both players have pretty much equal chance of getting it with the exception of Castle Clerics i think Adele or whatever is her name even starts with one

Salamandre
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Salamandre » 12 Nov 2013, 19:49

It is true that Phoenix is the faster creature in the game. However this is Heroes 3, not Heroes 2. A lot of tools were added to prevent tactics which always worked in Heroes 2.

1) You have cursed terrain.
2) You have shackles
3) You have all kind of golems, some of them have 95% magic reduction.
4) You have creatures immune to magic, some are 7th level.
5) You have speed increase artifacts
6) You have artifacts prohibiting all or 4-5 level spells.

So, with all this, if you still fear phoenix and armageddon, then play with rules. But the game is much more interesting and challenging without.

MeCho
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby MeCho » 12 Nov 2013, 21:07

I seem to disagree with you..... interesting? its so viable that makes other approaches unappealing if you fancy the victory. challenging? it may be more challenging if your on the receiving part struggling to find the stuff you mentioned + Orb of Vulnerability which MAY or may not appear at least devs had the decency to disable Armageddon for Conflux i couldnt say the same about Dungeon thought even put Armageddon aside the Tower Chain Lightning Specialty dude is also terrifying the hit & run on itself is terrifying unless its the dreaded AI Magic Arrow

Return to “Heroes I-IV”