Start HMM1 on old hardware

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
green
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Start HMM1 on old hardware

Unread postby green » 08 Jul 2011, 00:10

I have Russian edition of HMM1 (by “Buka”), old PC (CPU: AMD 486 DX2 ~80MHz; RAM: 8MB; soundcard: ESS ES1868; OS: Windows 95 SP1), and a problem with slow sound playing.
DirectX 6.1 is installed at system, and like always, microsoft needs pretty more memory and processor resources, than it should be for playback via “Microsoft Synthesizer”. MS complains on “not certified” drivers of my soundcard ESS ES1868, but that drivers play same sounds easily with my small resources. However, HMM uses sound access API through “Microsoft Synthesizer” but not through direct interface of soundcard drivers.
Please, ask technicians or post contacts/links to/about, and find out, how to replace interface of HMM and “MS Synthesizer” with HMM and direct interface of soundcard drivers. I answer on all tech questions (by ability).
Any another solution also greets (for example, HMM libraries replacing or DX/Windows libraries substitution).

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 08 Jul 2011, 08:01

Are you running the Windows or the DOS version?

Bersaglio
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Bersaglio » 08 Jul 2011, 09:15

green
Try HoMM1 for DOS. It should work fine

green
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby green » 08 Jul 2011, 17:42

I'm running Windows version. In the root dir of game lays file audiere.dll (I’m packed it with RAR). Can I edit there something or exist more simple way?
I will try DOS version, but case with Windows is preferred.

Bersaglio
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Bersaglio » 08 Jul 2011, 19:24

green wrote:I'm running Windows version... case with Windows is preferred.
There is no need to using old hardware.
You may run HoMM1 for Windows on modern hardware with x86 operating system (Windows XP or later) with only one problem - b/w cursor in Windows version... You may run DOS version on any operating system (x64/x86) using DOSBOX, there is no problem with cursor in DOS version.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 08 Jul 2011, 19:49

Win95 can use DOS programs natively, so the DOS version should work just fine. From what I know, it's identical to the Windows version except the cursor, which is even better in DOS, so you're not losing anything that way.

Bersaglio, that PC won't run anything past Windows 98 or Windows ME, and even those will only run by using a workaround to install them.

Sir Alock
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Sir Alock » 09 Jul 2011, 13:40

Emerald: Just buy the game from GOG.com & score it for cheap. I think I paid $4.99 for it. Will run like a champ in Windows 7/64

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 09 Jul 2011, 15:59

Sir Alock wrote:Emerald: Just buy the game from GOG.com & score it for cheap. I think I paid $4.99 for it. Will run like a champ in Windows 7/64
:| How does this have any bearing on the thread and why it it addressed to me?..

Return to “Heroes I-IV”