H3: Fav Lvl2 critter.

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

Pick your lvl2 poison:

Archer/Marksman
31%
Dwarf/Battle Dwarf
12%
Stone Gargoyle/Obsidian Gargoyle
2%
Lizard Man/Lizard Warrior
2%
Lizard Man/Lizard Warrior
2%
Wolf Rider/Wolf Raider
8%
Walking Dead/Zombie
4%
Harpy/Harpy Hag
18%
Gog/Magog
4%
Air Elemental/Storm Elemental
16%
Other/Neutral
No votes

Total votes: 49

Nucleon
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Nucleon » 09 Mar 2006, 15:27

wimfrits wrote:So... between day 1 and day 14 you have amassed enough griffins to attack a stack of liches on expert or impossible difficulty without suffering significant losses?

I don’t really buy that.
Yes, that's reasonnably possible; Once the Griffin bastion is built, you get 10 griffins plus the fortification bonuses. On the other hand, an early stack of lvl 5 monsters would likely be limited in numbers. And of course, this is going to cost a few losses; Any guesses regarding who will bite the bullet?

What you really can't buy neither are Angels after 13 days if you are that timid in your early conquests.
Because you don’t use them properly.
Well, that's a bit beyond that. If you are attacking, say, a Griffin conservatory (and many will, as soon as they can), you will suffer losses to your Marksmen. Same thing if you encounter Dragonflies, Elves, Evil Eyes, as well as a plethoria of other occurances where shooting and/or speed is involved.

Nucleon maybe don't use them "properly" as in "some die", but He uses them at His advantage nonetheless, believe you Him.
(Translated from Silent Speak)

wimfrits
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby wimfrits » 09 Mar 2006, 16:21

Nucleon wrote:Yes, that's reasonnably possible; Once the Griffin bastion is built, you get 10 griffins plus the fortification bonuses. On the other hand, an early stack of lvl 5 monsters would likely be limited in numbers. And of course, this is going to cost a few losses; Any guesses regarding who will bite the bullet?
An early stack of level 5 monsters limited in numbers? Compared to the 1-20 griffins you are running around with? I thought you said you played expert or impossible level?

Anyway, you cannot rely on griffins in week1 because you’d have like 7(?) of them. That’s not a force comparable to the marksmen strength.
You can only rely on griffins in week2 for a little bit, because you’d have like 20(?) (considering a citadel built) of them. If you make use of their unlimited retaliation ability, you’ll lose units. 1 unit is 5% of the stack strength. The smaller the stack, the higher the losses. So you’ll only be able to rely on them a couple of times before they become useless for the rest of the week.
In week3 I’ll run off with 2-3 angels, while you are still dabbling with lower level creatures because you chose to invest in griffins.
What you really can't buy neither are Angels after 13 days if you are that timid in your early conquests.
Lol. Timid? Efficient. That’s the word you were looking for :)
Well, that's a bit beyond that. If you are attacking, say, a Griffin conservatory
Right...
1. attacking a griffin conservatory with the amount of griffins you will have would be suicide.
2. if you can attack a griffin conservatory and win: you will end up having angels! So no need for griffins anymore! :tongue:
3. if you can win an early fight in a griffin conservatory your marksmen will be the deciding factor. Due to the frail nature of marksmen the difference between losing 1 marksmen and losing all marksmen is minimal.
So: winning with marksmen = not losing marksmen.

(and many will, as soon as they can), you will suffer losses to your Marksmen. Same thing if you encounter Dragonflies, Elves, Evil Eyes, as well as a plethoria of other occurances where shooting and/or speed is involved.
Your style obviously differs from mine. That’s fine. I hope you’re happy with your griffins. I’m happy with my angel-rush. Let’s leave it at that.

But please, stop claiming that one cannot use marksmen and preserve them.
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

Nucleon
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Nucleon » 09 Mar 2006, 17:22

wimfrits wrote: An early stack of level 5 monsters limited in numbers? Compared to the 1-20 griffins you are running around with? I thought you said you played expert or impossible level?
Yes he does.
Anyway, you cannot rely on griffins in week1 because you’d have like 7(?) of them. That’s not a force comparable to the marksmen strength.
You can only rely on griffins in week2 for a little bit, because you’d have like 20(?) (considering a citadel built) of them. If you make use of their unlimited retaliation ability, you’ll lose units. 1 unit is 5% of the stack strength. The smaller the stack, the higher the losses. So you’ll only be able to rely on them a couple of times before they become useless for the rest of the week.
Let Nucleon be clearer; The previous situation, the one implicating Storms-E, was taking place in the first week. The first week is survival time; get the wood, the ore, maybe a gold mine, or gem pond in Castle's case.

Second week is ambition time; That's where Nucleon would take on more sizeable oppo to get an early advantage. If lvl5 monster are encountered, they will likely guard, say, a passageway, shipyard, or "treasure coves". Rarely a mine. That's also where He would take on any Griffin Conservatory, even if it costs him a sizeable percentage of His whole force. It doesn't matter anyway, as He would now have 3-5 Angels and another production in a few days' time.

Such a modus operandi requires a fast, durable, efficient grunt troop, no too expensive yet plentiful. See Nucleon coming? If you skip Griffins to get to Angels, you will have to:

-Postpone conquest during a crucial time
-Need 20k gold, 5 woods, and 12 of every other ressources (but in ore, where you gain 5) more, creatures cost themselves being out of the equation. We need a most generous map.
-Forget about buying a lot of these at the start of week 3.
-Forget about Cavaliers in the near future.

The construction of the three Griffin Buildings (you can delay the bastion at a pinch) is amazingly cheap at a good time, so you can still have the Capital on week two. That's kinda difficult to achieve if you sacrifice all of your ressources on the Portal of Glory.
In week3 I’ll run off with 2-3 angels, while you are still dabbling with lower level creatures because you chose to invest in griffins.
At the end of week 3, Nucleon will hardly have 1-2 Angels less than you have, even with no conservatory near. He will aslo have more of the other troops... Except, maybe Marksmen, that is. :D
Right...
1. attacking a griffin conservatory with the amount of griffins you will have would be suicide.

Not a suicide; A carefully considered tradeoff.
2. if you can attack a griffin conservatory and win: you will end up having angels! So no need for griffins anymore! :tongue:
He would rather say "no need for a Portal Glory rush". Griffins are valuable until the last day of the game.
3. if you can win an early fight in a griffin conservatory your marksmen will be the deciding factor. Due to the frail nature of marksmen the difference between losing 1 marksmen and losing all marksmen is minimal.
You remember how the inside of a conservatory is? No tactics there. Nucleon expect that the Marksmen's role in there will be to attract first attacks and absorb retaliation (this time, yes). So what? That's 12-20 guys at the max; Make that 6-10 survivors. That hardly makes any difference even two weeks later.
So: winning with marksmen = not losing marksmen.
How about winning with Master Gremlins? Will you use all of the Tower's ressource to insure Master Gremlin survivability?
Your style obviously differs from mine. That’s fine. I hope you’re happy with your griffins. I’m happy with my angel-rush. Let’s leave it at that.
Yes, Nucleon tends to let that slip sometimes. Someone who's picking the conversation here may think that He dislike Marksmen; Once again, that's not the case; He greatly appreciate them, but only as much as somebody likes any disposable thing; they have their uses, they help you pass a certain point, but that's it...
But please, stop claiming that one cannot use marksmen and preserve them.
What He can claim however, is that He engaged very few armies where He didn't obliterated the present hapless Marksmen, with facility.

:rip:

csarmi
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby csarmi » 09 Mar 2006, 22:06

Yes, tactics is vital if you want to deploy marksmen in a battle against dragonflies when you don’t have other units that match the speed of the dragonflies
(and no resurrection and not willing to take the gamble of a lucky setup)
That's not even true. All you have to do is:

1) Make dragonflies appear in one or two stacks and put your marksmen out of range

and/or

2) For every marksmen stack that will be attacked, place a stack of fodder next to it, make sure that
- the dragon flies will be able to attack that fodder AND block the marksmen
- the dragon flies will be able to do their damage on them (no or little wasted damage), preferebly killing the stack or leaving 1-2 troops

Guess what, the dragon flies will fly over immediatly, attacking your baits. You'll kill the ones blocking your shooters, then shoot the rest to death.

This tactic works against any fast flyers.

You can tell how many stacks will you face by comparing the relative power (hitpoints) of your army versus the dragonflies. (there is a formula for it on the HC forums, I contributed to it as well)

You can find lots of useful tactics like this on the HC boards (Frank's thread for instance)

and, Nucleon, you never learned how to play this game effectively... you are making fun of yourself in this topic again, but if you like it, just go on

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 10 Mar 2006, 04:04

Nucleon plays only on the two last levels of difficulty: maybe you're playing at a lesser one.
The higher the difficulty setting, the more important Marksmen become. That's because you simply won't have the resources to build your Royal Griffins! Think about it logically. Even on Impossible difficulty, you can recruit Marksmen with relative ease (their dwelling is definitely cheap), while Royal Griffins take more effort as well as being less effective.
Nucleon assuredly build his castle in the second week. Well before Archangels a)come into play and b) reach the venturing army.
You did not understand what I meant. I will not attempt to siege a town with a Castle inside in the second week.
And yes, send your Archangels over the ennemy's defense first occasion you've got; this way, they'll get mangled and will be too busy to lose a turn healing something, unless they decide to die to ressurect these precious Marksmen.
Ah, but you're doing the same with your Dragonflies! Again, you fail to understand what I mean. If you're up against neutrals, then the Archangels simply will not die (they're far too powerful for that). If it's against a large AI army commanded by a hero, then it would be time to alter tactics and not charge in with the Archangels.
You "talk" like if you last battle would be your second one.
Are you telling me I must lose Marksmen in any battle? Can you honestly hold up to that? Have we not given you more than sufficient proof that in any battle except a castle siege, it is unlikely the Castle player loses more than a few Marksmen?

You implies Tactics, and even then, you won't escape the Magogs' fireball or the Liches' Death Cloud. That's good to rely on Tactics, but if it is essential to your strategy, you might have a flawed one.
Tactics is not essential, and it is (again) remarkably dumb to group units together against Magogs and Liches. I remember you once commented that we must be like water - ever changing, always ready to counter the opponent's strategy. It applies here. If the Ranged units I'm facing are Magogs and Liches, you can be sure I will not group my units together without neutralizing that Ranged stack first.
If they can't take damage, then why are they always targeted, for crying out loud? As if Nucleon wounded them Himself on purpose!
Because you're not using them properly! You have to defend Marksmen, because they cannot take damage! If the AI hits your Marksmen and kills a significant amount of them, it only proves that you've some way to go before you master Heroes 3.
Yes, that's reasonnably possible; Once the Griffin bastion is built, you get 10 griffins plus the fortification bonuses. On the other hand, an early stack of lvl 5 monsters would likely be limited in numbers. And of course, this is going to cost a few losses; Any guesses regarding who will bite the bullet?
No one's saying you can't win. But you will lose an enormous portion of your army, and because of that it is your expansion that will be curtailed, and it will be you who fails to deploy Angels at the start of week 3.
What timid? As far as I can see, it is you who will have to be timid, since you happily lose 50% of your army against Liches.

Well, that's a bit beyond that. If you are attacking, say, a Griffin conservatory (and many will, as soon as they can), you will suffer losses to your Marksmen. Same thing if you encounter Dragonflies, Elves, Evil Eyes, as well as a plethoria of other occurances where shooting and/or speed is involved.
If it's a Griffin Conservatory, then things change. Here Marksmen will almost certainly die, and it is a good death, because victory gives you Angels. I definitely wouldn't mind losing 30 Marksmen and gaining 5 Angels.
Nucleon maybe don't use them "properly" as in "some die", but He uses them at His advantage nonetheless, believe you Him.
Your advantage is remarkably small then. Just how much of an advantage do you gain? I assure you that with Marksmen I can claim every mine and capture every loose resource and seize any towns (if they don't have Castles built in them) in a typical map like All For One, with little or no losses. Tell me Griffins can do the same.
Second week is ambition time; That's where Nucleon would take on more sizeable oppo to get an early advantage. If lvl5 monster are encountered, they will likely guard, say, a passageway, shipyard, or "treasure coves". Rarely a mine. That's also where He would take on any Griffin Conservatory, even if it costs him a sizeable percentage of His whole force. It doesn't matter anyway, as He would now have 3-5 Angels and another production in a few days' time.
Without a sizable stack of Marksmen, Castle cannot hope to take out a Griffin Conservatory in Week 2 (in fact, I do not think Castle can defeat a Griffin Conservatory at all in this time on Impossible difficulty). 100 Royal Griffins spread all around is too much.
-Postpone conquest during a crucial time
-Need 20k gold, 5 woods, and 12 of every other ressources (but in ore, where you gain 5) more, creatures cost themselves being out of the equation. We need a most generous map.
Regarding postpone conquest - this is completely wrong, because a Castle force using Marksmen and Crusaders is as strong as one using Marksmen and Royal Griffins, even stronger.

Regarding resources - this can be farmed for, and we do not need a most generous map. Remember the map All For One? Would you call that generous? Yet I managed to achieve Green Dragons by the end of Week 2.

Regarding not being able to recruit them - this is irrelevant, because as long as the dwelling is built I will have more of them than you. If I enter the final battle with 5 Archangels against your 3, I will have a huge, perhaps decisive, advantage.

Regarding not getting Cavaliers - so what? So what when Angels are so much stronger and Crusaders can do all the tanking in the meantime?
The construction of the three Griffin Buildings (you can delay the bastion at a pinch) is amazingly cheap at a good time, so you can still have the Capital on week two. That's kinda difficult to achieve if you sacrifice all of your ressources on the Portal of Glory.
Equally, by sacrificing the Capital on week 2, if it means I build the Portal of Glory and you don't, I will do it.
You remember how the inside of a conservatory is? No tactics there. Nucleon expect that the Marksmen's role in there will be to attract first attacks and absorb retaliation (this time, yes). So what? That's 12-20 guys at the max; Make that 6-10 survivors. That hardly makes any difference even two weeks later.
Neither will 6-10 Lizard Warriors.

6-10 of any level 2 unit will be insignificant come the final battle.
How about winning with Master Gremlins? Will you use all of the Tower's ressource to insure Master Gremlin survivability?
Yes, I would. But Master Gremlins are far less important than Marksmen, and ensuring their survival isn't so important.
What He can claim however, is that He engaged very few armies where He didn't obliterated the present hapless Marksmen, with facility.
Then he is wrong. I have engaged very many neutral stacks with Marksmen and didn't lose a single one. Perhaps at this point it would suffice to list down the neutrals Marksmen may face.

A good stack of Marksmen, paired with some Crusaders and maybe Halberdiers, will take out:

1. All level 1 neutral stacks with zero or almost zero losses.
2. All level 2 neutral stacks except Storm Elementals with zero or almost zero losses.
3. All level 3 neutral stacks except Dragonflies, Grand Elves and Evil Eyes with zero or almost zero losses.
4. All level 4 neutral stacks with slight losses (this requires spell-casting though).
5. By facing level 5 neutrals, it is reasonable to assume even higher level creatures to be available.
Yes, Nucleon tends to let that slip sometimes. Someone who's picking the conversation here may think that He dislike Marksmen; Once again, that's not the case; He greatly appreciate them, but only as much as somebody likes any disposable thing; they have their uses, they help you pass a certain point, but that's it...
Nucleon is wrong. Marksmen continue to be useful up to the last battles, and a large stack of Marksmen will deal great damage there. A stack of 250 Marksmen in such a battle cannot be easily looked over, while an equal stack of 250 Zombies can be (relatively) ignored.

csarmi - What did you vote for? Marksmen?

Nucleon
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Nucleon » 10 Mar 2006, 04:51

csarmi wrote:Nucleon, you never learned how to play this game effectively... you are making fun of yourself in this topic again, but if you like it, just go on
Tssk tssk tskk.

If you don't have the courage to take Nucleon on, it would be more elegant if you'd stop yappin' that way, love.

Looks like you're hot stuff at rigging the game, don't you?

Nucleon
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Nucleon » 10 Mar 2006, 05:59

Banedon wrote: The higher the difficulty setting, the more important Marksmen become. That's because you simply won't have the resources to build your Royal Griffins! Think about it logically. Even on Impossible difficulty, you can recruit Marksmen with relative ease (their dwelling is definitely cheap), while Royal Griffins take more effort as well as being less effective.
He disagrees. Griffin dwellings and upgrade only require a total of 10 ore (which the Ressource Silo can provide if the map is tight) and 3000 golds, in a building frame that is more demanding for wood. And, of course, He also disagrees about your assessment of the Griffin's value.
Ah, but you're doing the same with your Dragonflies! Again, you fail to understand what I mean. If you're up against neutrals, then the Archangels simply will not die (they're far too powerful for that). If it's against a large AI army commanded by a hero, then it would be time to alter tactics and not charge in with the Archangels.
Nucleon was more about the later.
Are you telling me I must lose Marksmen in any battle? Can you honestly hold up to that? Have we not given you more than sufficient proof that in any battle except a castle siege, it is unlikely the Castle player loses more than a few Marksmen?
No, he just tells you that He puts the focus on other troops instead, and He don't see Marksmen attrition as being catastrophic, any more than Master Gremlin attrition is catastrophic.
Tactics is not essential, and it is (again) remarkably dumb to group units together against Magogs and Liches. I remember you once commented that we must be like water - ever changing, always ready to counter the opponent's strategy. It applies here. If the Ranged units I'm facing are Magogs and Liches, you can be sure I will not group my units together without neutralizing that Ranged stack first.
Nucleon don't disagree. However, let's pretend that you fall on another player, playing Necropolis, and he's got both Vampire lords and liches in his army (let us suppose yours include up to monks for a balanced comparison). Do you

a) Surround your shooters with defenders to protect them frome the V-Lords or
b) Do you space your stacks to avoid the Death Cloud effect?

Any which way, you will lose troops, probably Marksmen.
Because you're not using them properly! You have to defend Marksmen, because they cannot take damage! If the AI hits your Marksmen and kills a significant amount of them, it only proves that you've some way to go before you master Heroes 3.
Beware the fighting words. He begs to differ and He tends to think that you may be overly impressed with ranged attackers, and playing on lesser difficulties and on giveaway maps.

Never encountered an ennemy scout with fast units who "Lightning Bolt" your ranged attackers then immediatly retreat? Or enter a creature bank? Or take on a town with defenders and arrow towers? In every one of these bread-and-butter situations, you will lose Marksmen.

You tell Nucleon you will protect your Marksmen with Pikemen and Haleberdiers; How come you still buy these past a certain point eludes Nucleon; He always seems to have more important things to buy than 1st levels troops, and when He does it's for castle defense.

Yet here you are at any important battle with a full house encompassing all seven levels, while Nucleon figures your capital is defenseless. And you're telling Nucleon He lacks in game Mastery because he priviledge other troops than Marksmen?

That's funny in a absurd way.
No one's saying you can't win. But you will lose an enormous portion of your army, and because of that it is your expansion that will be curtailed, and it will be you who fails to deploy Angels at the start of week 3.
Nucleon usually builds the Portal of Glory in the third week, unless the map is really diet.
If it's a Griffin Conservatory, then things change. Here Marksmen will almost certainly die, and it is a good death, because victory gives you Angels. I definitely wouldn't mind losing 30 Marksmen and gaining 5 Angels.
Gee, thanks a lot; for a moment there, Nycleon wondered if we talked about the same game.
Without a sizable stack of Marksmen, Castle cannot hope to take out a Griffin Conservatory in Week 2 (in fact, I do not think Castle can defeat a Griffin Conservatory at all in this time on Impossible difficulty). 100 Royal Griffins spread all around is too much.
Marksmen are good as baits in Conservatories. They get tagged before letting any shot. They are, in this case, about as good as Pissants. Still, by the time the Griffins finish them off, the other troops can have a breather.
Regarding postpone conquest - this is completely wrong, because a Castle force using Marksmen and Crusaders is as strong as one using Marksmen and Royal Griffins, even stronger.
Irrelevant. Both methods require the Barracks.
Regarding resources - this can be farmed for, and we do not need a most generous map. Remember the map All For One? Would you call that generous?
Yes, quite, by His measure. Nucleon is himself quite prone to severly limit ressources when He construct a map. "Kingdoms" ladden with lose ressources and chests are more tournament stuff. He prefers RPG.
Regarding not being able to recruit them - this is irrelevant, because as long as the dwelling is built I will have more of them than you. If I enter the final battle with 5 Archangels against your 3, I will have a huge, perhaps decisive, advantage.
That can play against you, if you face early conquerers. If he takes your castle, even for a single day, chance are he is going to hire them himself to defend.

A good H3 players must know how to balance his cash/creature ratio.
Regarding not getting Cavaliers - so what? So what when Angels are so much stronger and Crusaders can do all the tanking in the meantime?
This was aimed to Wifrits, who stated in another post that he favored bypassing Griffins to go straight for the cavaliers.

wimfrits
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby wimfrits » 10 Mar 2006, 08:03

Nucleon wrote:-postpone conquest during a crucial time
- you perhaps. Not me.
- you perhaps. Not me.
- you perhaps. Not me.
- depends on what you call ‘near’. Angel dwelling in week2, cavalier dwelling in week3.
Yes, it’s kind of difficult to get a Portal of Glory if you are sacrificing resources and precious town building times for a non-cost-efficient unit like griffins. Especially on higher difficulties.
Imagine this: if you’d learn to play more efficiently with marksmen, you would not need to waste money and buildings on griffins, so you’d get a capitol faster, etc etc.
Not a suicide; A carefully considered tradeoff.
Lol. Tell me then, how would your (max) 20 griffins defeat 150 griffins?
csarmi wrote:That's not even true. All you have to do is:

1) Make dragonflies appear in one or two stacks and put your marksmen out of range

and/or

2) For every marksmen stack that will be attacked, place a stack of fodder next to it, make sure that
Yes, I forgot those. It’s been almost 6 years since my last serious H3 game. Thanks for pointing these out.
Nucleon wrote:He disagrees. Griffin dwellings and upgrade only require a total of 10 ore (which the Ressource Silo can provide if the map is tight) and 3000 golds
You seem to forget that the units themselves cost gold as well. And you forget the crucial delay in town building that is caused by building the griffin buildings.
Nucleon don't disagree. However, let's pretend that you fall on another player, playing Necropolis, and he's got both Vampire lords and liches in his army (let us suppose yours include up to monks for a balanced comparison). Do you
If the player is Nucleon, I’ll send in my 3 angels :tongue:
Beware the fighting words. He begs to differ and He tends to think that you may be overly impressed with ranged attackers, and playing on lesser difficulties and on giveaway maps.
Simple logics:
- the stronger your stack, the better your chances to win.
- the higher the difficulty, the more difficult it is to preserve a big stack.
Conclusion: your ability to play at high difficulty depends on having a 'strong' stack and your ability to preserve it.
- part of griffin’s strength is their retaliation.
- retaliation means casualties
Conclusion: part of griffin’s strength is also their weakness. This becomes more apparent as difficulty increases. Like I said earlier, losing 1 griffin in week 2 means losing 5% of your army potential.

So griffin’s are not a cost-efficient unit. If you want to play competitively on high settings, you need to be efficient.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 10 Mar 2006, 09:02

Banedon wrote: A good stack of Marksmen, paired with some Crusaders and maybe Halberdiers, will take out:
2. All level 2 neutral stacks except Storm Elementals with zero or almost zero losses.
4. All level 4 neutral stacks with slight losses (this requires spell-casting though).
2: Marksmen are definately exceptions as well, and I don't think the other shooters will sit idly either
4: How about Mages and Medusae? Or Silver Pegasi? Or Sharpshooters?
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 10 Mar 2006, 09:15

Tssk tssk tskk.

If you don't have the courage to take Nucleon on, it would be more elegant if you'd stop yappin' that way, love.

Looks like you're hot stuff at rigging the game, don't you?
Chances are good csarmi is a far, far better player than you and me - so I would be careful about calling him thus.
He disagrees. Griffin dwellings and upgrade only require a total of 10 ore (which the Ressource Silo can provide if the map is tight) and 3000 golds, in a building frame that is more demanding for wood. And, of course, He also disagrees about your assessment of the Griffin's value.
But you forget. You also need to build the Barracks to get Griffins. That would be even more money, money which the Marksmen user would get to savour at once.

And building the Resource Silo is out of the question. It costs 5,000 gold.
No, he just tells you that He puts the focus on other troops instead, and He don't see Marksmen attrition as being catastrophic, any more than Master Gremlin attrition is catastrophic.
I tend to focus around one of three things:

1. Powerful shooters. This is best exemplified by Castle's Marksmen and Rampart's Grand Elves.
2. Fast, study fliers. Example: Thunderbirds and Efreet Sultans.
3. Spells - this strategy's for Tower and Dungeon.

You'll notice I have no strategy for Necropolis and Fortress. That's natural, since I don't play them often anyway (:D). But if I do play Necropolis I would use the Skeleton Warriors (I can raise more) as the main stack, while with Fortress it's Greater Basiliks (thanks Bandobras Took for teaching me this).

a) Surround your shooters with defenders to protect them frome the V-Lords or
b) Do you space your stacks to avoid the Death Cloud effect?

Any which way, you will lose troops, probably Marksmen.
The Vampire Lords do not move fast enough to thump the Marksmen in one turn - or even two, depending on which side plays better (positioning, spells, etc.) This gives time for Castle's two shooters to attack the Power Liches, seriously reducing their numbers and hence the danger from the Death Cloud.

It should also be noted that with two shooters, Castle can split them into two different corners. Whichever the Vampire Lords attack, the other will get full damage shots at them.

And finally, if the Vampire Lords do manage to close the distance with a sizable Power Lich stack still there, then I would not surround the Ranged stack. They will have to take the damage - no choice - but you can be sure the Vampire Lords will suffer for it too.
Beware the fighting words.
Sorry. But I'm getting rather frustrated here.
He begs to differ and He tends to think that you may be overly impressed with ranged attackers, and playing on lesser difficulties and on giveaway maps.
Repeat: The higher the difficulty setting, the more powerful Marksmen become. In fact, the more powerful Ranged attackers become.
Never encountered an ennemy scout with fast units who "Lightning Bolt" your ranged attackers then immediatly retreat? Or enter a creature bank? Or take on a town with defenders and arrow towers? In every one of these bread-and-butter situations, you will lose Marksmen.
Or Lizard Warriors, for that matter. Lightning Bolt hit-and-runs are unavoidable, and no matter who you use, you will take damage. Creature banks aren't that deadly - enter battle, cast Mass Haste (or something similar) and then use the Marksmen's ranged attacks to take out whichever is nearest (this is quite possible; I've done it many times). Sieging a castle will almost always result in casaulties; this applies to everyone.

You seem to be attempting to prove that there are situations where you must lose Marksmen. Well, there are, but in those same situations you must lose Lizard Warriors, too.
You tell Nucleon you will protect your Marksmen with Pikemen and Haleberdiers; How come you still buy these past a certain point eludes Nucleon; He always seems to have more important things to buy than 1st levels troops, and when He does it's for castle defense.
You're not supposed to buy a lot of them (like 50). You buy a few - 6 is more than enough. Use them to block the squares. A stack of Vampire Lords cannot reach a stack of Marksmen surrounded by 2 Pikemen, during which the Marksmen get a shot. You see? If you have some more single-stack Pikemen around, all the better.
Yet here you are at any important battle with a full house encompassing all seven levels, while Nucleon figures your capital is defenseless. And you're telling Nucleon He lacks in game Mastery because he priviledge other troops than Marksmen?
The capitol is defenseless indeed - but there is no one there to assault it. It would be remarkably dumb to spot a large enemy force moving towards your capitol and not moving the main hero back to defend - here, Logistics specialists offer a great advantage.

I'm not telling you that you lack in game mastery because you privelege other troops than Marksmen. I'm simply telling you that Marksmen are good, and I definitely think Marksmen > Lizard Warriors.

Nucleon usually builds the Portal of Glory in the third week, unless the map is really diet.
You build in the third week; more efficient farming may allow you to build in the second.
Irrelevant. Both methods require the Barracks.
Not irrelevant. Because you prioritize the Griffins, you will have to spend the resources to build the Griffin dwelling, upgrade it, then the Griffin Bastion. The Crusader user will not require those, and can channel the gold into Zealots or Angels. In the end, if you hope to catch up in this resource war you cannot recruit Crusaders.

Yes, quite, by His measure. Nucleon is himself quite prone to severly limit ressources when He construct a map. "Kingdoms" ladden with lose ressources and chests are more tournament stuff. He prefers RPG.
I note that you did mention the map All For One as a possible map where we could duel. I also note that you did not then label it as "laden with loose resources and chests". If you consider All For One a typical map, then you must also consider the possibility of reaching the Portal of Glory by the end of week 2.
That can play against you, if you face early conquerers. If he takes your castle, even for a single day, chance are he is going to hire them himself to defend.
He is not going to take my castle. Not for a single day. You can be assured of that.

You fail to appreciate how strong castle defenses are. You also fail to appreciate how powerful scouts are. And finally, you fail to appreciate Logistics specialists.

I tell you: if you let your opponent take your capitol, even for one day, you have made a grave error that will likely cost you the game.
Yes, I forgot those. It’s been almost 6 years since my last serious H3 game. Thanks for pointing these out.
Wow, 6 years. It's not been that long for me (a few months only), but I never possessed this kind of knowledge.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 10 Mar 2006, 10:01

That's called quarreling, seriously.

* The Griffins are very efficient unit, and they are one of Castle core units, this seems selfevident as core units are exactly 3rd and 4th level.

* They are great support of army and will reign in the middle game, together with Archangels they may make it to the end.

* The questions not stay who is better, Griffins or Angels - you need both, but sometimes Angels are very resources expensive, in this case here is no need to hesitate.

* Griffin Bastion should be build as fast as possible in the SP and large maps, in the MP and more tight maps Grfffins could be passed (along with Griffins Dwelling) for obvious reasons.

* Griffins are constructed for looses. You need to count with.

* Marksmen are slow unit in the middle game and later and have no unique use. (For example Zombies, Gorgoyles have...)

* Finally it always depend on the type of the map and nothing more. :disagree:

And I playing always on Impossible difficulty, and the equations are slightly different then it were stated by wimfrits. Actually when you have more resources you may jump over some tactics to get sacfifice yourself with the higher speed of development, plus AI. That's all to the matter of level difficulties.
Anyway, you cannot rely on griffins in week1 because ... creatures because you chose to invest in griffins.
- true, but sometimes few of Griffins do a wonders. Meanwhile you accumulate them. They could be crucial for "to get to the more resources fast" reason.

1 - when good necropolis player comes to the scene, marksmen are out with vampires, you know here are such speels like blind, weakness, haste and tactis which is bigger spell ever. The PL trash any defensive possibilites for them too.

2 - here is possible Capitol shift and I like it. Means that I had lose my preciously build Capitol but in return get the Capitol of my enemy. Unluckily for him he will end with no Capitol at all.
Last edited by Pol on 10 Mar 2006, 11:49, edited 2 times in total.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

wimfrits
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby wimfrits » 10 Mar 2006, 10:19

Pol wrote:* The Griffins are very efficient unit, and they are one of Castle core units, this seems selfevident as core units are exactly 3rd and 4th level.
Not selfevident at all. Core units of Stronghold are thunderbirds, inferno: efreeti. Different sides, different players, different tactics.
* Griffin conservatory should be build as fast as possible in the SP and large maps, in the MP and more tight maps Grfffins could be passed (with Griffins Dwelling) for obvious reasons.
You can actually build a griffin conservatory? ;)
* Griffins are constructed for looses. You need to count with.
Exactly. And that is why they are of little early use at high difficulty levels. You cannot afford losses. You need to play efficiently.
And I playing always on Impossible difficulty, and the equations are slightly different then it were stated by wimfrits. Actually when you have more resources you may jump over some tactics to get sacfifice yourself with the higher speed of development, plus AI. That's all to the matter of level difficulties.
*Sigh*
You seem to forget that besides having less resources, you’ll also face more enemies. Key on higher level difficulties is more efficient play.
The very nature of the griffin’s power -
(additional power by retaliation = power by losses)
- makes them a non-efficient unit in a situation where you cannot afford losses. You cannot afford losses at high difficulties. Simple logics.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 10 Mar 2006, 10:32

You can actually build a griffin conservatory?
Easily, through map editor. :D
Yees, it was mistypo.
Exactly. And that is why they are of little early use at high difficulty levels. You cannot afford losses. You need to play efficiently.
You can. Wimfrits you must be better :tongue:
Simple logics.
No, no. It's not so simple.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

wimfrits
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby wimfrits » 10 Mar 2006, 10:46

Pol wrote:You can. Wimfrits you must be better :tongue:
Indeed... I’m definately going to learn how to build that conservatory! :)
That’s great!
In core, it is. On an average map.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 10 Mar 2006, 11:04

Indeed... I’m definately going to learn how to build that conservatory! :)
That’s great!

I'm always great, you may also use ERM :tongue:
In core, it is. On an average map.
It's not, especially on the highest difficulty you need to count (predict) with looses. There will be, unitl you are waiting for so long to crush the enemy by pure power. In this case you are however playing on the lowest difficulty of your human powers.
"We made it!"

csarmi
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby csarmi » 10 Mar 2006, 11:18

Marksmen is Castle's core unit. And no good player builds griffin dweliing at all unless he has absolutely nothing else to do. It's a waste of time, money, and resources. There may be special cases, but even then, I would prefer to go for cavaliers.

As for voting, I don't think I have voted.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 10 Mar 2006, 11:33

In fact core units are always 3rd and 4th levels. Marksmen are good, but they have very tight line between from to be a core unit to cannon fodder.

Special cases, yes, there are (Free Grffins dwellings around may be one of them... ). Here is also campaign on that motive, supposed to learn you the basic how to do the map suitable for Griffins :devious:
"We made it!"

Nucleon
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Nucleon » 10 Mar 2006, 12:45

wimfrits wrote:
Nucleon wrote: -Need 20k gold, 5 woods, and 12 of every other ressources (but in ore, where you gain 5) more, creatures cost themselves being out of the equation. We need a most generous map.
- you perhaps. Not me.
- you perhaps. Not me.
The dwellings do not cost less for you, friend. What Nucleon wrote there -and denied by you- is by no way subjective; It is cold calculations.
Yes, it’s kind of difficult to get a Portal of Glory if you are sacrificing resources and precious town building times for a non-cost-efficient unit like griffins.
That does not make much sense.
Especially on higher difficulties.
Imagine this: if you’d learn to play more efficiently with marksmen, you would not need to waste money and buildings on griffins, so you’d get a capitol faster, etc etc.
(sight) Griffins are cheap 1) to produce and 2) to buy.
Lol. Tell me then, how would your (max) 20 griffins defeat 150 griffins?
150? Griffins conservatories house 20-100 Griffins, max. 1 Angel per 20 griffins. There's no need to worry; Griffins are inefficient and are prone to be damaged, remember?
You seem to forget that the units themselves cost gold as well. And you forget the crucial delay in town building that is caused by building the griffin buildings.
Yet, you say that building Portal of Glory and buying Angels is somewhat cheaper. A single one of them cost (in gold) what all three Griffin dwelling cost. For 1 Angel, you can have 12.5 Royal Griffins, and still you will have to spit a gem more. How can you build a 20k Portal and still afford to buy some whitout having a Capital? Nucleon suspects an easy, generous map.
Simple logics:
- the stronger your stack, the better your chances to win.
- the higher the difficulty, the more difficult it is to preserve a big stack.
Conclusion: your ability to play at high difficulty depends on having a 'strong' stack and your ability to preserve it.
- part of griffin’s strength is their retaliation.
- retaliation means casualties
Conclusion: part of griffin’s strength is also their weakness. This becomes more apparent as difficulty increases. Like I said earlier, losing 1 griffin in week 2 means losing 5% of your army potential.
This is simplistic logic indeed. Multiple retaliation is an advantage, not a hindrance! It would be, if there was a retaliation on the retaliation itself... If you compare R-Griffins with say, S-Pegasi, the later makes an attack, get a retaliation, and gets attacked again. The R-Griffins retaliate for each attack they would receive, taking no more damage than S-Pegs just because they retaliate. Doesn't everybody knows that?
So griffin’s are not a cost-efficient unit. If you want to play competitively on high settings, you need to be efficient.
Enough. Nucleon challenges you to built a Portal of Glory in the second week at impossible settings. We don't even talk about buying some yet; Just build the thing. Then save your game and prepare to show it to Nucleon.

Nucleon
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Nucleon » 10 Mar 2006, 13:46

Banedon wrote:Chances are good csarmi is a far, far better player than you and me - so I would be careful about calling him thus.
Maybe better than you, who knows.

If anything, csarmi is a cowardly rigger of the game, and a rude nerd with an attitude problem. In real life he must be a frustrated, morbidly obese man with an inferiority complex, no friends and no life.

Yes, that's not so courteous, but Nucleon saw three fights in here since he joined, and all of them were instigated by csarmi at one point or another, all of them for trifle matters. Tis' no coincidence.

Stop idolizing the guy. Last thing you want is to be like him (or is it her?)
But you forget. You also need to build the Barracks to get Griffins. That would be even more money, money which the Marksmen user would get to savour at once.
Barracks are a pre-requisite for both the Griffin Way and the Angel Way; You need it to build the Monastery, which in turn is needed for the Portal of Glory.
And building the Resource Silo is out of the question. It costs 5,000 gold.
Still, when the going gets tough, it is better deal than what you might have at an intown market.
I tend to focus around one of three things:
1. Powerful shooters. This is best exemplified by Castle's Marksmen and Rampart's Grand Elves.
You are obviously a ranged attack fan. Nucleon thinks that you put much effort to get "Archery" and "Tactics" he? Classic. One thing you ignore though, is that such a hero build would be as efficient with any ranged troop. So your assessment of the Marksmen could be off because of that.
The Vampire Lords do not move fast enough to thump the Marksmen in one turn - or even two, depending on which side plays better (positioning, spells, etc.) This gives time for Castle's two shooters to attack the Power Liches, seriously reducing their numbers and hence the danger from the Death Cloud.

It should also be noted that with two shooters, Castle can split them into two different corners. Whichever the Vampire Lords attack, the other will get full damage shots at them.

And finally, if the Vampire Lords do manage to close the distance with a sizable Power Lich stack still there, then I would not surround the Ranged stack. They will have to take the damage - no choice - but you can be sure the Vampire Lords will suffer for it too.
Vampire Lords are fast. With your army capped at Monks/Zealots, your fastest units are your much-maligned Royal Griffins -if you built the dwelling, that is. Conceding you the advantage, you may cast a "haste" or a "slow", whatever you have in mass version, but the opposing plyer may reverse it with the opposite spell as soon as he can, almost giving him two fast successive attacks.

Assuming that the V-Lords have already been attacked, Nucleon would immediatly send them at your Marksmen, from the start of turn two. Not just because of our discussion, but mainly because Marksmen are great to replenish the V-Lords; Weak defenses and an irritant attack. If they are surrounded by defenders, the whole package get Death Clouded before.

There. They're gone.
Sorry. But I'm getting rather frustrated here.
Hey, Nucleon is, too. Yet he does not get personal (unless...). The third person thing helps a lot here, believe Him!
Repeat: The higher the difficulty setting, the more powerful Marksmen become. In fact, the more powerful Ranged attackers become.
Nucleon does not believe that units are getting better or worse according to the difficulty. Starting ressources are affected by difficulty, as is the AI. That's all.
Or Lizard Warriors, for that matter. (...) You seem to be attempting to prove that there are situations where you must lose Marksmen. Well, there are, but in those same situations you must lose Lizard Warriors, too.
Nucleon grants you that Lizard Warriors will be as targeted as Marksmen for discussion's sake (He would rather think that Dragonflies would rather be, but let's). However, at equal agression, the Lizard Warriors will last longer because they have better defenses and Health.
You're not supposed to buy a lot of them (like 50). You buy a few - 6 is more than enough. Use them to block the squares. A stack of Vampire Lords cannot reach a stack of Marksmen surrounded by 2 Pikemen, during which the Marksmen get a shot. You see? If you have some more single-stack Pikemen around, all the better.
If your defenders are so thin, they will be killed by the Liches before the Vampire Lords come and feast.
I'm simply telling you that Marksmen are good, and I definitely think Marksmen > Lizard Warriors.
You can claim that you will use your Marksmen to great effect inside the boundaries of your army, but you cannot claim that Marksmen are superior to Lizard Warriors. Did you try to compare them in a vs fight, 50 on each side? Marksmen lose every time.
I note that you did mention the map All For One as a possible map where we could duel. I also note that you did not then label it as "laden with loose resources and chests". If you consider All For One a typical map, then you must also consider the possibility of reaching the Portal of Glory by the end of week 2.
All fo One is a typical tournament map, which displays all of what the early H3 had to offer. That being said, almost all tournement maps are over generous in lose ressources and chest, to favor a quicker game.

csarmi
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby csarmi » 10 Mar 2006, 14:03

Pol wrote:In fact core units are always 3rd and 4th levels. Marksmen are good, but they have very tight line between from to be a core unit to cannon fodder.
Look, Pol, your knowledge of the game is obviously limited. I have read a lot of your posts so I do know what I am talking about. If you don't want to learn the game, that's fine, but try not to share your knowledge too loudly... you might as well mislead some inexperienced people.

Nucleon, there is nu such thing as a ranged attack fan. Ranged attack simply rules. Makes you win against high odds. This game is all about ranged attack combined with mass slow.

For instance, I simply move into that Griffin conservatory, cast mass slow and shoot all of them down. Now try to do that with griffins.

edit: yes, SoD Lizard Warriors defeat Marksmen most of the time. A bit surprisingly. But it still does not matter much.

Note, that whoever wins in a straight fight is completely irrelevant for the game (they are not fighting each other; ever, they'll be busy clearing the map (marksmen is much better - faster, way more damage, etc) or shooting down other troops in an endfight).

(anyways its very close - if they started on short range, marksmen would prolly win)

Still, you were right at least on this point. I am glad. That's a progress you showing :)

Every time I played I managed to build angel dwelling by end week 2 the latest. And yes, mmost of the times even on impossible. Though in MP you usually don't play on impossible for that makes the game depend too much on luck, rather than skills. And I rarely played castle. I will build that angel dwelling for you on Jebus the next week (I am occupied right now by some bridge competitions).
Last edited by csarmi on 10 Mar 2006, 15:29, edited 6 times in total.

Return to “Heroes I-IV”