Any Good Maps for Noobs to the Mod?

Official forum of the Wake of Gods mod to Heroes of Might and Magic III.
yohnstoppable
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Any Good Maps for Noobs to the Mod?

Unread postby yohnstoppable » 13 Apr 2009, 04:51

So I just discovered this mod recently, and decided to give it a try. It seems like a cool idea, with tons of possibilities. However, I find these campaigns to be infuriating and poorly made. I played the tutorial map, but that didn't really help.

My main issue is the horrendous English used in the instructions. For example:

"Since tomorrow, you are able to upgrade/downgrade any creature in your first slot to that in your last slot. If you change creatures. The Upgrade possibilities will change on next day, too!"

How am I to do this? From the description, it sounds like I can stick a skeleton on the first slot in my army, a lich in the last, and transform my skeletons into liches. Yet that isn't the case, and if it is I have no idea how to do it. i look at my hero screen, and my specialty just says "special" and still describes the stoneskin specialty when I right click it.

Another example is the Good Samaritan campaign. I get off the original island, and I'm in a maze where I constantly get killed by groups of gremlins. Either I missed something, or I'm just supposed to step on every possible spot, dying over and over to random battles, until I get out of there. I fail to see the puzzle in this, and how it is fun. Might as well ask me to type every number between 1 and 50, killing me and making me watch the death screen every time I don't pick the number 37.

I tried playing the Wake of the Gods campaign, but having to constantly close popups from this Dan idiot every time I picked something up got old fast.

So I'm left asking for suggestions on maps that are a lot more user friendly. Preferably ones created by English speakers, so I can at least understand what I'm supposed to do.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 13 Apr 2009, 11:25

We currently have 59 WoG maps in our database (map search is your friend :) ). Go nuts and download the lot if you want. Not playing WoG myself, I'm afraid I can't offer personal recommendations; maybe someone else here can.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Re: Any Good Maps for Noobs to the Mod?

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 13 Apr 2009, 13:23

yohnstoppable wrote:So I just discovered this mod recently, and decided to give it a try. It seems like a cool idea, with tons of possibilities. However, I find these campaigns to be infuriating and poorly made. I played the tutorial map, but that didn't really help.

My main issue is the horrendous English used in the instructions. For example:

"Since tomorrow, you are able to upgrade/downgrade any creature in your first slot to that in your last slot. If you change creatures. The Upgrade possibilities will change on next day, too!"

How am I to do this? From the description, it sounds like I can stick a skeleton on the first slot in my army, a lich in the last, and transform my skeletons into liches. Yet that isn't the case, and if it is I have no idea how to do it. i look at my hero screen, and my specialty just says "special" and still describes the stoneskin specialty when I right click it.
Place the creatures to upgrade/be upgraded to in the 1st and 7th slots. Then, when the NEXT day begins, you should be able to perform the upgrade.
Another example is the Good Samaritan campaign. I get off the original island, and I'm in a maze where I constantly get killed by groups of gremlins. Either I missed something, or I'm just supposed to step on every possible spot, dying over and over to random battles, until I get out of there. I fail to see the puzzle in this, and how it is fun. Might as well ask me to type every number between 1 and 50, killing me and making me watch the death screen every time I don't pick the number 37.
You get killed in battle? The gremlin attacks should be easy enough to win (I never lost a battle, or even a creature here). I forget how large the stacks are off-hand, but you may want to divide your elves into multiple stacks to spread the damage around (IIRC, you should have 10 or 11 elves at this point.)
I tried playing the Wake of the Gods campaign, but having to constantly close popups from this Dan idiot every time I picked something up got old fast.
Yes, Dan is annoying. Fortunately you can get rid of him fairly early.

Return to “Wake of Gods”