Install question please

Official forum of the Wake of Gods mod to Heroes of Might and Magic III.
how786
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Install question please

Unread postby how786 » 04 Feb 2006, 10:58

Hi
I have Heroe 3 Complete installed on my system. I am confused by the instructions for installing WOG. I don't understand if I am supposed to somehow remove SOD and Heroes Complete and then do the install? It sounds bizarre. I must be missing something.
Any help appreciated. Also, I can't find any link to dl the 'full package'.
Thanks
How786

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 04 Feb 2006, 13:57

You install WoG OVER H3C/SoD. There will still be the old executable, so you can run a "clean" H3C/SoD game, if you need it (for instance, to play multiplayer against someone without WoG)

how786
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby how786 » 04 Feb 2006, 14:03

Well, number 3 here confuses me. This is from the official dl site. It talks about uninstalling HC.

. Download all WoG files and run self extracting RAR archives.

2. There is a bug in Windows sort function that may make WoG install incorrectly if your system language is not an English. For sure it happens for Swedish. So we recommend you:
- check your system language and if it is English or Russian, all is fine;
- if not, change your local settings to English (Russian) language and country for Canada, Great Britain, Russia or US.

3. Make sure that you removed all other MODs and other files from all Heroes folders (especially from Data folder). We recommend you:
- make a full copy of your SoD or HC;
- uninstall SoD or HC;
- delete all files in ex-Heroes folder (if any) manually;
- install SoD or HC again to the same folder.

Fnord
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Fnord » 04 Feb 2006, 20:10

how786 wrote:Well, number 3 here confuses me. This is from the official dl site. It talks about uninstalling HC.

. Download all WoG files and run self extracting RAR archives.

2. There is a bug in Windows sort function that may make WoG install incorrectly if your system language is not an English. For sure it happens for Swedish. So we recommend you:
- check your system language and if it is English or Russian, all is fine;
- if not, change your local settings to English (Russian) language and country for Canada, Great Britain, Russia or US.

3. Make sure that you removed all other MODs and other files from all Heroes folders (especially from Data folder). We recommend you:
- make a full copy of your SoD or HC;
- uninstall SoD or HC;
- delete all files in ex-Heroes folder (if any) manually;
- install SoD or HC again to the same folder.
The suggestion is just to make certain you have a clean, working copy of SoD or HC before installing WoG in order to minimize the possibility of problems. If your HC works fine and you haven't used other MODs or otherwise alterered the files (aside from maps and save games, etc.) then there's probably no need to worry. In any event, you can always try installing WoG and see if it works. If it doesn't, then you can try uninstalling and removing everything and start over fresh.

Personally, I recommend making a *copy* of your HC folder and installing WoG onto that. To make a copy, simply copy/paste the folder and then name it something else (e.g., call it WoG if you like) and then when you install WoG, install it on the copy. If the WoG install fails or if it ever messes up, you'll still have your original HC unchanged.
- Fnord

how786
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby how786 » 04 Feb 2006, 20:25

Thanks. I installed it and all went well.
When I play the new WOG Campaign, I get a warning about the map having internal ERM scripts or something like that followed by a warning about "WOGifying" the map. I'm not sure how to proceed. It's strange to get that warning since it is a WOG Campaign.
Also, does WOG add the new levels and creatures to any of the other Campaigns like AB or SOD?
Thanks for the help

Fnord
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Fnord » 05 Feb 2006, 07:57

how786 wrote:Thanks. I installed it and all went well.
When I play the new WOG Campaign, I get a warning about the map having internal ERM scripts or something like that followed by a warning about "WOGifying" the map. I'm not sure how to proceed. It's strange to get that warning since it is a WOG Campaign.
Also, does WOG add the new levels and creatures to any of the other Campaigns like AB or SOD?
Thanks for the help
The WoG campaigns must NOT be "wogified". This should be fixed for 3.59 so that they'll automatically not be wogified and you won't get this confusing message.

Wogification is for use with maps and campaigns that don't have scripts already and not with custom-scripted maps or campaigns. The wogify script options can be chosen in the WoG Options screen, and you can read what they do by right-clicking on them or you can read about them in the New Features of In the Wake of Gods HTML document.

Yes, I believe you can wogify existing campaigns but there's apparently a bug that may occur sometimes with carry-over artifacts. I think if you have the new artifacts it can cause a crash or something. This will be fixed in 3.59.

If you wogify a random map, regular map, or regular campaign, new things may be added to it depending on which options you have chosen in the WoG Options screen.
- Fnord

how786
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby how786 » 05 Feb 2006, 09:08

Thanks for this info.
In playing a free standing scenario, it seems to me that enemy castles are too strong. Their ballistas simply tear thru me much worse than with HOMM3. I take incredible damage even when there is no hero in the castle with army.
I am playing the middle level of difficulty.
Any comments?
Thanks

Fnord
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Fnord » 05 Feb 2006, 19:55

how786 wrote:Thanks for this info.
In playing a free standing scenario, it seems to me that enemy castles are too strong. Their ballistas simply tear thru me much worse than with HOMM3. I take incredible damage even when there is no hero in the castle with army.
I am playing the middle level of difficulty.
Any comments?
Thanks
I assume you mean the arrow towers rather than ballistas?

If you find it not to your liking, you can go to WoG Options and turn off "Arrow Towers gain experience". It's on the first page of WoG options. Right-click on it to see the formula used for their increased damage.
- Fnord

how786
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby how786 » 05 Feb 2006, 21:18

Oh! Thank you.
Yes, I meant the arrow towers. Thanks for the correction and also for pointing out the ability to correct what I perceive as a problem.
Appreciatively,
How786

how786
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby how786 » 05 Feb 2006, 22:14

Fnord,
I have one other question. In the last game I played the enemy Centaurs had ranged shooting ability and mine did not.
What is that all about? It was quite a shock and powerful!
How786

Fnord
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Fnord » 06 Feb 2006, 01:22

how786 wrote:Fnord,
I have one other question. In the last game I played the enemy Centaurs had ranged shooting ability and mine did not.
What is that all about? It was quite a shock and powerful!
How786
This is an ability that Centaurs (but not Centaur Captains) can gain from Stack Experience.

If you're not sure how Stack Experience works, you might want to read up on it in the New Features document.

Like the other options, it can be turned on or off, and it can even be customized by editing certain files if you wish, but you'll probably have to spend a bit of time familiarizing yourself with the way it works first.
- Fnord

how786
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby how786 » 06 Feb 2006, 01:58

Hmmmm....I don't see it under New Features.
Can you post me a link?
Thanks
How786

Fnord
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Fnord » 06 Feb 2006, 05:05

how786 wrote:Hmmmm....I don't see it under New Features.
Can you post me a link?
Thanks
How786
It's in the New Features HTML document that was installed on your computer when you installed WoG. It's not on the Web so I can't give you a link.

If you open the document, you'll find the section describing Stack Experience about 60% of the way through, between "Leaving your army and artifacts on the map" and "New Artifacts".
- Fnord

how786
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby how786 » 06 Feb 2006, 06:40

Ah....it was in "WOG Features.htm". It mentions"

"The Sylvan Centaurs may be created from Grand Elves and Centaur Captains, if you have them both in your army and have turned on the proper hard-coded option. To do that you must hold your 'ctrl' key on your hero screen (and only on your hero screen, not the garrison or town screen) and click with your left mouse button on a stack of Grand Elves or Centaur Captains. They will be combined free of charge and at ratio 1:1, so after combining 42 Centaur Captains and 14 Grand Elves you'll end up with 14 Sylvan Centaurs and 28 Centaur Captains."

Thanks for the tip.
How786

Fnord
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Fnord » 06 Feb 2006, 09:05

how786 wrote:Ah....it was in "WOG Features.htm". It mentions"

"The Sylvan Centaurs may be created from Grand Elves and Centaur Captains, if you have them both in your army and have turned on the proper hard-coded option. To do that you must hold your 'ctrl' key on your hero screen (and only on your hero screen, not the garrison or town screen) and click with your left mouse button on a stack of Grand Elves or Centaur Captains. They will be combined free of charge and at ratio 1:1, so after combining 42 Centaur Captains and 14 Grand Elves you'll end up with 14 Sylvan Centaurs and 28 Centaur Captains."

Thanks for the tip.
How786
Sorry..is the file called WoG Features? I couldn't recall the current name of it because I changed the name of my shortcut to simply "WoG Docs".

The Sylvan Centaurs do indeed shoot but this is different from the stack experience shooting abilities that regular Centaurs may gain, since Sylvan Centaurs are an entirely new creature (although created from Centaur Captains and Grand Elves). I'm not sure which you were observing in the AI's army, however -- perhaps it was Sylvan Centaurs.

Anyway, you should also find the Stack Experience information in the same document and I definitely suggest reading up on it. :)
- Fnord

how786
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Editing tower damage

Unread postby how786 » 07 Feb 2006, 08:24

Dear Fnord,

I kinda like the idea of tower damage increasing with experience, but the rate that it gains currently is, imo, too massive. Is there a way to tone that down short of shutting it off?
Instead of going from 100% to 200% to 300% damage weekly I'd like to see it increase by 20 or 25% a week.
If there is a way to edit those figures, please let me know how.
Thanks
How786

Fnord
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Re: Editing tower damage

Unread postby Fnord » 08 Feb 2006, 00:28

how786 wrote:Dear Fnord,

I kinda like the idea of tower damage increasing with experience, but the rate that it gains currently is, imo, too massive. Is there a way to tone that down short of shutting it off?
Instead of going from 100% to 200% to 300% damage weekly I'd like to see it increase by 20 or 25% a week.
If there is a way to edit those figures, please let me know how.
Thanks
How786
There's currently no way to edit this that I'm aware of. Perhaps in 3.59 if Slava has time. I think it's on the lonnnnnnnnnnnnnng wish list somewhere.
- Fnord

how786
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby how786 » 08 Feb 2006, 01:43

Thanks for the reply. That's a shame. I really like to concept of towers getting stronger with combat but the chosen defaults are WAY outa balance, imo.
It'd be nice to at least have other choices to tone down the damage gain.
100% per week is brutal.
How786

Return to “Wake of Gods”