Question on two .def files

Official forum of the Wake of Gods mod to Heroes of Might and Magic III.
InsaneWallaby
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Question on two .def files

Unread postby InsaneWallaby » 21 Feb 2007, 18:51

So yeah,

I needed to chunk out all of the images in the defs for various reasons, so I created a program that would go through the def viewer and iterate through all of the images to save them as .bmps, open the next def, and so on. I was lazy and that was quite easy to make, so a 30-minutes-to-make program was my choice of a method to extract those 27000 images or so. It ran quite well until I reached two particular def files--unfortunately, I cannot remember what they are at this time since I do not have that particular computer in front of me--but I recall them being something along the lines of SGT----A and SGT----B, where the "----" are some various letters. Anyways, upon reaching these two files, the def viewer failed to display the images of these files and threw some critical errors on me. Sorry for not having the actual def names on hand; work has me a bit bored today, and my laptop was having all of the images transferred from my desktop at the time I had to leave, so I don't have it on hand right now.

Extracting the images and viewing the images always yields a 0kb image, and the def viewer pukes out a critical error on each image in these two defs. It's not my program either, since my program just interacts with the interface and presses keys and whatnot; besides, manually extracting them has the same effect. Are these two particular defs corrupt, are the def viewer and the resedit programs reading these two defs wrongly, or are the images inside merely nonexistant? I use Heroes 3 Complete. I am thinking that these two might've been something along the lines of a siege tower considering the letters used in the file name and the lack of siege towers, and possibly the idea was scrapped but the file they set up for a siege tower never got fully implemented and still got included, but I've honestly got no clue.

Also, just on a side note, I noticed that some of the images extracted via resedit have a pixel-wide offset to the right. Also, some of the defs seem to "wrap" around in defviewer because they appear to have a pixel offset to the left; that pixel offset throws some extra crud on the rightmost vertical line of pixels. I'm just curious as to why this is, or if it is my computer that is causing that. Is this fixable at all, or are the developers and/or source code still around if it is a bug in def viewer/resedit?

If anybody has any info on these two files or on my second note of interest, I would be greatly curious to hear about it. I will edit this to have the actual file names later, around 9:30-10:00 GMT. Thanks!

Edit: Apologies on taking so long for the file names--had more crud to do than I figured, and then a friend and I got to shooting the wind at a local mom and pop burger joint. The files in question are SGTWMTA.def and SGTWMTB.def. The first has one image; the second has 11.

InsaneWallaby
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby InsaneWallaby » 02 Mar 2007, 13:46

Right, it's been like 10 days and nobody has posted, so here's the solution I found. Pol told me about a program named Def Preview, and apparently this .def file is in an older format, so only it could open it. Furthermore, I found that Def Preview fixed my problems with the pixel offset. So, if anybody else has these problems, that's how I fixed 'em.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 02 Mar 2007, 22:48

Ah, I forget on that thread - but helping you was a team work. WoG team can do everything :devious:

Winner and ultimate solution, for troublesome defs, was Def Preview, courtesy of GrayFace :proud:
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Return to “Wake of Gods”