WOG maps

Official forum of the Wake of Gods mod to Heroes of Might and Magic III.
scavas
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

WOG maps

Unread postby scavas » 05 Jun 2006, 22:05

Is there a site that has alot of WOg maps?

Pol
Admin
Admin

Re: WOG maps

Unread postby Pol » 05 Jun 2006, 22:13

scavas wrote:Is there a site that has alot of WOg maps?
At least two.

waI. <--*--> waII.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

johncrapper
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Good ones?

Unread postby johncrapper » 08 Jun 2006, 15:54

Both these sites have so many. If anyone could, please post the names of any maps in particular that you would recommend playing. I personally prefer large or XL, but i'm sure myself and others would love to try any that are worth playing.

Painted: The Misfit has been my favorite WoG map so far, any others along that calibur?
Last edited by johncrapper on 08 Jun 2006, 16:05, edited 1 time in total.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Re: Good ones?

Unread postby Pol » 08 Jun 2006, 16:01

Thunk -- By Timothy V. Duncan and Timothy Pulver

Traemask -- series by Timoth Duncan

ToranRift -- By Timothy V. Duncan and Timothy Pulver

Topaz -- classic quality map by Blue Camel

221_b._baker_st -- Text, design - excellent, author remains unknown to me

A_Dram_of_Heroes - multiplayer/single, designed to fully reveal all powers of your heroes :)

Underdogs * Vlaad

SevenCircles * Vlaad

The Ultimate Threat ?

The Siege of Pretal ?

Reunino ?

PTM ?

Perfect Storm

* I don't know which ones are WoG only however, having them now all in one heap... Surely here is much more but I hadn't time... ;)
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Vlaad II
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Vlaad II » 08 Jun 2006, 19:12

Actually, Pol, some of those are not WoG... ;)

Here's my list:

Cave of Gerfrex by Fnord, which was the first map that, aside from the campaigns, showed the full potential of ERM. Be sure to get the latest version, though.

However, my all-time favorite WoG map is probably THUNK by Fnord and Corribus, a remake of Duncan's H2 scenario. This is Fnord at his very best! For the record, it won 2004 MapHaven contest. It is part 2 of a 7 maps campaign; so if you want to follow the story, find its nice prequel called Last Hope and the sequels, Adjudication and Toran Rift as well.

Fnord is also the author of Choices, a map where you can choose your creatures for each level and make a town of your dreams!

Painted the Misfit by ByteBandit and various authors is next on my list. I found it amazing how a number of different mapmakers can make one single scenario, keeping the same level of quality throughout the story.

Another interesting scenario is A Dragon in My Heart by Kirinyale Goldfire. There are a lot of unique locations you may want to check out yourself! The updated version is supposed to be more challenging, though; even if you are familiar with this great adventure, you might consider replaying it on higher difficulty. Description: "This is a story of a human with a dragon living in his heart, a story of journey to a faraway land and of incredible adventures. The gameplay is built totally on scripts, and a vast number of hidden features are out there for you to find!"

Needless to say, one great Bulgarian mapmaker deserved his rightful place on any Top Ten list. Among his numerous maps, I'd always choose Grigor Minchev's Augment, because I simply love epic XL scenarios! In this particular one you get to upgrade level 7 Dragons into mighty Fire Dragons! Other maps by this author are also worth playing and easy to find on every download page, since they all begin with letter "A"! I'd mention Grig's Abduction and A Dracolish Helmet, although I havent played them myself (they got excellent marks).

I am not sure how to rate one particular scenario. It is Reunion by voyvoy/casi... I understand that this is not an original piece of work, but a remake of a standard H3 map? It's great nevertheless.

Have you played Okeaniya? I'm not sure whether it was made specially for WoG or was it adapted, but it is surely one of the most downloaded scenarios.

Before the Rings 2: The Black Towers looks great, too!

Vanadia's Freedom was cool, lots of custom scripts and scriplets - although it was too easy, while the heavily scripted artifacts were not vital for the story.

For a hot seat duel I'd pick Skakik's Gelu vs Dracon.

Dragon Slaughter is said to be the best WoG map created by Chinese fans (see another thread in this subforum for more details).

Finally, the map which is not finished (but still playable) is Dulpendyr by Sagamosa... with his Advanced Skills and Adventure Spells, this is a mod within a mod!

I will not rate my own maps, of course but would like to share some information with those who might be interested (and get some more feedback): The map I am proud most of is Gelu's Legacy, which was included in Behemoth Lair's Hall of Fame by Ururam Tururam. It is a story about Gelu who didn't die in the clash with Kilgor, but became a Dark Elf instead. There is a sequel called Gelu's Legacy 2: The Rise of Nagash. One of my maps is available on the official WoG site - War of the Ring. If you want a piece of advice: do NOT play it! It is an old version of my War in Middle-earth. Europe BC is another old XL scenario. Note: all of these maps will be updated once the official WoG site has been finally redone.

My Underdogs won "Clover Award" at MapHaven's 2004 contest. However, the map I'm really satisfied with is Clan Wars. It was M but a lot of unique (if simple) ERM scripts.

You can find most of these maps in Pol and ByteBandit's Archives (links above), here at CH or MapHaven. There are other locations, but I would not recommend them - Polish Crypt of Maps doesn't have all the updated versions at the moment, while Russian Heroes Portal doesn't host essential extra files (custom pictures and such, which have to be unpacked to your Data or Maps folder).

Finally, you can always take your favorite SoD or RoE maps and wogify them!
Last edited by Vlaad II on 09 Jun 2006, 07:22, edited 1 time in total.

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Re: Good ones?

Unread postby ByteBandit » 09 Jun 2006, 01:10

johncrapper wrote: Painted: The Misfit has been my favorite WoG map so far, any others along that calibur?
All those involved with PTM would like to thank you for playing it. I think Vlaad has given you the cream of the crop as far as WoG maps go. What I find even more interesting than that, is that even though Heroes V is out, many are still working on good quality WoG maps to this day. The WoG Archives are becoming a spawning ground for maps where people would like to see their map become a classic. There is a section for maps where someone can put their map up for others to work on. This comes in handy for another "look" at the map from someone elses perspective.
And even though Vlaad is being modest about not grading his own work, trust me, from a players perspective, they are fun to play and worth the download.

Salamandre
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Salamandre » 10 Jun 2006, 11:01

I've played all those but I would add Chaser. Not many people played that map, it is uber hard but actually it is a jewel also. And it is XL !

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 10 Jun 2006, 14:32

Yes, I agree. Chaser is one of those you could add to the "Classics" list. A very popular map in the Asian community and is now catching on in the rest of the world.

sumalmamus
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby sumalmamus » 14 Jul 2006, 17:11

In another discussion I saw this posted "chronicles campaigns as custumized campaigns for SoD" they thought in the WOG forum. Does anyone know if this is the case, and if so if they are still available somewhere? I would like to play them in WOG but am not particularly interest in spending a couple of hundred dollars to buy the old Heroes chronicles individual games. Thanks for any info.

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 15 Jul 2006, 00:53

Well, there are Heroes Chronicles campaigns located at the link below:

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/campaignarchive/

Youll have to join the group in order to get the campaigns. But many feel it's worth it.
They are for SoD and we have them all. We even have the portraits for the campaigns that you can put in the Heroes3/data folder. AND...Pol has all the documentation from Heroes Chronicles posted there as well. Enjoy!

Whiplash
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Whiplash » 25 Aug 2006, 16:47

Hi, I'm new to the forum and it appears I need some help concerning Fnord and Corribus' THUNK map. It works perfectly threwout the game and on expert (tried impossible 6 times and failed ... damn) I eliminated everyone exept for the thunk and Mok Choi.

I have charged the elven sword and here-in lies the problem : It crashes my game. Whenever I enter a battle with it equipped it crashes. Black screen but alt tab reveals an error message(not the first time). I strained my head for 1 week with this map and am not about to just quit before the real action so if anyone knows how to fix this or has gotten this error playing thunk, please help. If you need me to post the error message just say so.
Also I am certain it is the Elfrendil causing the problem, I have tried fighting the Thunk without it or with a partially charged blade and haven't encountered any problems.

Thank you
Last edited by Whiplash on 26 Aug 2006, 18:50, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Fnord » 25 Aug 2006, 17:53

Whiplash wrote:Hi, I'm new to the forum and it appears I need some help concerning Fnord and Corribus' THUNK map. It works perfectly threwout the game and on impossible I eliminated everyone exept for the thunk and Mok Choi.

I have charged the elven sword and here-in lies the problem : It crashes my game. Whenever I enter a battle with it equipped it crashes. Black screen but alt tab reveals an error message(not the first time). I strained my head for 1 week with this map and am not about to just quit before the real action so if anyone knows how to fix this or has gotten this error playing thunk, please help. If you need me to post the error message just say so.
Also I am certain it is the Elfrendil causing the problem, I have tried fighting the Thunk without it or with a partially charged blade and haven't encountered any problems.

Thank you
That's most unfortunate. I haven't heard this error reported previously so I imagine it's a fairly rare one, but that makes it no less of an error or major annoyance for you.

I don't know off-hand what the cause of the error crash might be but if you send your save game to me, I will look at it. I can't guarantee that I can fix the save but I'll give it a try.

You can email me at: fnord100 (at) yahoo (dot) ca
- Fnord

Return to “Wake of Gods”