Simultaneous retal?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Infiltrator
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Infiltrator » 07 Feb 2006, 20:37

DaemianLucifer wrote: So if Im given a chance to actually use my units even if your units are way faster,its called turtleing?Interesting.
It is intresting, because I'd really like to see the bright person who would develop a game bringing all fast vs all slow units in the field then balancing the it around those conditions. Each faction will probably have, it's share of slow and fast units. It's up to you to use them as best as they can be used, and turn based retilation will, like it or not, be there and, admit it or not, help.
Right,its way better to always catch your opponent off guard.Tell me,how is it logical that a troop expecting to be attacked,in broad daylight,defending a castle,can be caught off guard?
God, not the realism spinoff again, I honestly hope that you were sarcastic and realized when I said "catch off guard" I meant catch if when he made a mistake.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 07 Feb 2006, 20:40

Infiltrator wrote:It is intresting, because I'd really like to see the bright person who would develop a game bringing all fast vs all slow units in the field then balancing the it around those conditions. Each faction will probably have, it's share of slow and fast units. It's up to you to use them as best as they can be used, and turn based retilation will, like it or not, be there and, admit it or not, help.
But what if you use sylvan against dungeon?Since most of sylvan units are faster then their dungeon couterparts,youll be able to win without your opponent getting a shot.Your right,that helps a lot!

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 07 Feb 2006, 20:41

DaemianLucifer wrote: Right,its way better to always catch your opponent off guard.Tell me,how is it logical that a troop expecting to be attacked,in broad daylight,defending a castle,can be caught off guard?
They're distracted by flying coconuts?
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Infiltrator
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Infiltrator » 07 Feb 2006, 20:44

DaemianLucifer wrote:But what if you use sylvan against dungeon?Since most of sylvan units are faster then their dungeon couterparts,youll be able to win without your opponent getting a shot.Your right,that helps a lot!
Sylvan against Dungeon does spell disaster for my poor babies, but, that's only the state of things in the current beta build. When and if, the battlefield gets enlarged, the ATB starting positions get normalized and the unit stats get balanced, that problem will be solved.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 07 Feb 2006, 20:46

Infiltrator wrote:Sylvan against Dungeon does spell disaster for my poor babies, but, that's only the state of things in the current beta build. When and if, the battlefield gets enlarged, the ATB starting positions get normalized and the unit stats get balanced, that problem will be solved.
Just partially,since youll still be able to get an army that tops your opponent by just 1 or twho in initiative,and thus crush him without a single casualty.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 07 Feb 2006, 20:50

All ur arguments convince even more that the best way is Sim Retal with some sort of bonus to the attacker.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Infiltrator
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Infiltrator » 07 Feb 2006, 20:51

If that were the case then Heroes 3 wouldn't have been such an instant classic. Haste, Slow, Disabling, Berserking, Flying, Range, Speed, Hero specials, Stats, all comes into account. It's not like we're fighting with 7x1hp units that rush out in the field and insta-kill the other ones.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 07 Feb 2006, 20:55

Infiltrator wrote:If that were the case then Heroes 3 wouldn't have been such an instant classic. Haste, Slow, Disabling, Berserking, Flying, Range, Speed, Hero specials, Stats, all comes into account. It's not like we're fighting with 7x1hp units that rush out in the field and insta-kill the other ones.
So the rush tactics of conflux which Ive used so many times before isnt actually working?I must have been dreaming then.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 07 Feb 2006, 20:58

Going first is better than having Bless!

Infiltrator
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Infiltrator » 07 Feb 2006, 21:00

As I've said before Armageddons wasn't never used for MP, and if it's SP you're talking about, well, exploiting that isn't hard in any game.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 07 Feb 2006, 21:03

Infiltrator wrote:As I've said before Armageddons wasn't never used for MP, and if it's SP you're talking about, well, exploiting that isn't hard in any game.
No,Im talking about hotseat.Anyhow,even without conflux,it can be done with archangels(which is even worse)

Infiltrator
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Infiltrator » 07 Feb 2006, 21:07

I've played with Castle players who know what they are doing, me being usually Dungeon or Fortress, and sometimes I would win and sometimes I would lose, however there was no rush tactic of which you are saying. None of the matches were quickly decided.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 07 Feb 2006, 21:10

No?You never faced castle+mass prayer=getting half of your army wiped out before you even move?

Infiltrator
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Infiltrator » 07 Feb 2006, 21:39

No. You have to develop an antistrategy for each town. I always asume the other guy has got either mass haste, mass slow or mass prayer.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 07 Feb 2006, 21:43

Infiltrator wrote:No. You have to develop an antistrategy for each town. I always asume the other guy has got either mass haste, mass slow or mass prayer.
But what can you do?Youll either have to buy angels of your own(thus decreasing your morale,and having one stack less),or play castle as well(in which case the one that is lucky enough to plays first gets the advantage,and most likely wins),or relly on luck and hope to find some speed boosting artifact.

Mass slow can be countered,but mass speed is harder to counter,since most of the opponents troops get to play before you can cancel it.And mass prayer is a killer.

Infiltrator
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Infiltrator » 07 Feb 2006, 21:48

Gnolls are pretty useless, I replace them with anything that is as fast or faster then the Archangel. We agree on that before the match starts. Usually it's one Azure Dragon guarded by 40 Black Dragons.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 07 Feb 2006, 21:54

Infiltrator wrote:Gnolls are pretty useless, I replace them with anything that is as fast or faster then the Archangel. We agree on that before the match starts. Usually it's one Azure Dragon guarded by 40 Black Dragons.
If you find them,of course.But still,your opponent can get its hands on them as well,so again it comes to who gets lucky.But what about maps without special dragons?Archangels alway play first.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 07 Feb 2006, 21:57

Infiltrator wrote:Gnolls are pretty useless! I replace them with anything that is as fast or faster then the Archangel. We agree on that before the match starts. Usually it's one Azure Dragon guarded by 40 Black Dragons.
And thus only play with lvl 7 creature because they always attack first. See a trend?

Infiltrator
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Infiltrator » 07 Feb 2006, 22:01

This is on a map that was developed really carefuly and we use it most of the times for vs matches. Fortress gets the Azure dragon if the other town is Castle but that's it. Everyone has to play with population only from their castle. And getting several level 7 creatures would be pretty bad, first they were probably drained by your opponent so there's a minority of them, and second morale issues.

Of course in open maps, when I play fortress I rush to hydras and attack the other guy before he has angels/archangels.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 07 Feb 2006, 22:07

Only 1 map does not a game make.

And yeah not only lvl 7's, but not creatures with slow init. My bad!

Return to “Heroes V-VI”