Barbarian heroes visiting magic shrines

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
halaiku
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Barbarian heroes visiting magic shrines

Unread postby halaiku » 28 Nov 2007, 14:29

I was playing H5 Tote with one of my friends - multiplayer hotseat - and I encounterd a strange behaviour: when I visited a magic shrine with my barbarian heroes they received experience points: 1000 xp for level 1 magic shrine and 2000 xp for level 2 magic shrine. Is this a bug or what?

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: Barbarian heroes visiting magic shrines

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 28 Nov 2007, 14:31

halaiku wrote:Is this a bug or what?
No.

halaiku
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: Barbarian heroes visiting magic shrines

Unread postby halaiku » 28 Nov 2007, 14:40

PhoenixReborn wrote:
halaiku wrote:Is this a bug or what?
No.
What is the reason to give experience points to barbarians when they visit magic shrines? It sounds to me like an exploit: you can quickly level up your heroes, when playing barbarian.

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 28 Nov 2007, 15:21

Neither. Other heros can profit from magic, barbarians not so they get a compensation.
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 28 Nov 2007, 16:43

lol why did you even bothered to go to a library with a barbarien?
I always walk by them, their guards are stong anyways
but o well, thank's for the tip
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 28 Nov 2007, 16:48

Barbarians are more reliant than most on the hero for creeping. Think of it, there isn't a single barbarian unit I fear as a neutral...they are *** without rage.

Magic shrines are rare enough and I'd rather have barbarians get "something" than "nothing".

There was a suggestion that maybe the other classes should also get experience if they already know the spell.

Nelgirith
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Nelgirith » 28 Nov 2007, 21:32

haloswift wrote:lol why did you even bothered to go to a library with a barbarien?
I always walk by them, their guards are stong anyways
but o well, thank's for the tip
Don't you think you're confused about the building ? Magical shrines are rarely guarded (unless the map maker put a stack in front of them).

I noticed that onthe 2nd map of barbarian campaign (the one with Kujin). There had to be a reason for those magical shrines to be on a map with only barbarian heroes :D

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 28 Nov 2007, 23:02

I was surprised the first time :)
- Metathron

aaelgr
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby aaelgr » 28 Nov 2007, 23:41

Nelgirith wrote:Don't you think you're confused about the building ? Magical shrines are rarely guarded (unless the map maker put a stack in front of them).
In the maps that I've played (outside the campaign at least) the Shrines have all been guarded.
PhoenixReborn wrote:There was a suggestion that maybe the other classes should also get experience if they already know the spell.
Giving other heroes experience if they already know the spell sounds like a good idea. It's really annoying when I beat aforementioned creeps to find that it's something I already know (especially if I'm in dire need of a damaging spell like Stone Spikes or Eldritch Arrow).

halaiku
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby halaiku » 29 Nov 2007, 11:57

aaelgr wrote:In the maps that I've played (outside the campaign at least) the Shrines have all been guarded.
Well, in the RMG maps, all the level 1-3 magic shrines are unguarded. So there is a lot of experience for barbarian heroes for nothing. As an example, last night I was playing again with my friend and he had Stronghold race. In his area there were 5 magic shrines (all unguarded): 2 of level 1, one of level 2 and 2 of level 3. He got 10000 xp for all his heroes (Level 8) for free and I had to fight to get my heroes leveled. I don't think this is fair.

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 29 Nov 2007, 13:24

halaiku wrote:
aaelgr wrote:In the maps that I've played (outside the campaign at least) the Shrines have all been guarded.
Well, in the RMG maps, all the level 1-3 magic shrines are unguarded. So there is a lot of experience for barbarian heroes for nothing. As an example, last night I was playing again with my friend and he had Stronghold race. In his area there were 5 magic shrines (all unguarded): 2 of level 1, one of level 2 and 2 of level 3. He got 10000 xp for all his heroes (Level 8) for free and I had to fight to get my heroes leveled. I don't think this is fair.
Don't forget, that you have spells, for free what a Barbarian can't get. He cannot just fight for spell, like you for experience.
"Rage against the system, the system, what kills the human spirit."

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 29 Nov 2007, 13:43

But it might be better if different lvl shrines gave diff exp... a lvl 1 spell is most certainly not worth 1k exp.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 29 Nov 2007, 14:14

ThunderTitan wrote:But it might be better if different lvl shrines gave diff exp... a lvl 1 spell is most certainly not worth 1k exp.
I would rather say, that a lvl 1 shrine doesn't worth a lvl (from 1 to 2), but at lvl 10, 1000 xp it's not that much, so those magic shrines are especially effective at the early and midgame, while a spell can win a game in the end(mass slow, mass haste, mass deflect missle).

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 29 Nov 2007, 16:10

Regardless RMG sucks on so many different ways.
- Metathron

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Muszka » 29 Nov 2007, 17:49

I never like RMG. Honestly I never cared so much for Magic Shrines.

sfidanza
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby sfidanza » 29 Nov 2007, 19:18

PhoenixReborn wrote:There was a suggestion that maybe the other classes should also get experience if they already know the spell.
Another option is to offer an unknown spell of the corresponding level, like the Pyramid now does.

aaelgr
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby aaelgr » 29 Nov 2007, 19:33

I've found that quite often I get offered spells that I can't get when I do things such as Pyramids and Arcane Vaults. For example, in the final Necromancer mission Ornelia knew all the Level 5's she knew, so instead of getting other spells she could learn she apparently got Resurrection and Implosion (when in truth she learnt nothing).

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 29 Nov 2007, 19:49

I know that's stupid. Back in H3 it worked because there was wisdom now it's just unfair.
- Metathron

Return to “Heroes V-VI”