IMO : "No Waiting" for units?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 01 Feb 2006, 14:42

DaemianLucifer wrote:Heres the idea how to speed up battles:Remove the waiting on the begining and the end of each battle(as an option of course).There always were a couple of seconds to wait.Put the blitz(instantenious)attack animation in the manu.There you go,battles sped up by at least 15%.Its quite enough.
Dont forget the combat animation slow, medium and fast they were very useful in H3. But in in H5 there could be two more Very Slow, Slow, Medium, Fast and Blazing Fast. Could always use the H4 metod by using numbers from 1-6 but since Ubi and Nival have a tendensy to scrap most H4 features, the first one is more realistic.
So with combat speed option before and in battle there no excuse to hold on the 8x10 battlefield :disagree:

Mutare Drake
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Mutare Drake » 01 Feb 2006, 22:52

They're (Ubi) gonna have to really either fix the Wait problem or adjust creature speeds/initiatives...'cause like RK said, this stuff makes no sense, and it ruins the game. All the strategy is gone...no longer can you pick between wiping out as many troops as quickly as possible and waiting for a better moment, now you've got to pick between doing something potentially suicidal (archangel attacks) or doing nothing. Agh.

Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Thelonious » 02 Feb 2006, 19:02

IceCold2000 wrote:No wait feature in Heroes 5? That's bad.

It harks back to those Heroes 1 and 2 days where the fastest units rule the game - the faster you are, the more likely you'll kill the enemy before s/he has a chance to flee. Heroes 3 addressed this problem by adding a "wait" button to make slower units more useful as retaliation absorbers. But alas, no more wait. Who knows? Maybe the expansion pak gets it.

It's a Beta Test. Not everything is set yet. I don't think ubisoft will exclude the wait button. It's a very bad move if they did.
Grah!

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 02 Feb 2006, 19:09

Thelonious wrote:
IceCold2000 wrote:No wait feature in Heroes 5? That's bad.

It harks back to those Heroes 1 and 2 days where the fastest units rule the game - the faster you are, the more likely you'll kill the enemy before s/he has a chance to flee. Heroes 3 addressed this problem by adding a "wait" button to make slower units more useful as retaliation absorbers. But alas, no more wait. Who knows? Maybe the expansion pak gets it.

It's a Beta Test. Not everything is set yet. I don't think ubisoft will exclude the wait button. It's a very bad move if they did.
Heres what many people were sure of until now:No way therell be so few spell,well at least those spells will be balanced,all of the spells will be usefull,theyll change the names into something better,battlefield size will surely change,etc,etc,etc.

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 02 Feb 2006, 20:54

I hope for Ubi and Nivals sake that they step foreward carefull what to fix, add and remove. They should also listen to us fans and we should give hints and advices. If they are unsure, ask the fans!! Then they will know a little more what we excpect! Can it really be so hard? They arent donkey monkeys are they? :|

Mutare Drake
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Mutare Drake » 02 Feb 2006, 21:32

Orfinn wrote:Can it really be so hard?
Well, yeah. Look at this forum: there's tons of different ideas circling, many people have different opinions on what should be done. It's pretty tough to get everyone to agree on something, so maybe Ubi/Nival don't want to be inundated with letters/posts from fans who have The Answer to their questions. I sure wish they'd come ask us, even just to get new ideas or things to try out. It'd certainly show that they're trying to overcome the faults of past games (H4!!!) by talking to us, but I can kinda imagine why they wouldn't.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 02 Feb 2006, 22:09

I remember the good old days back at AW, where there was this huge wishlist you could add items to, which would then be sent to NWC. I even got a couple of my wishes in, though if they were already planned is something I don't know :D
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 03 Feb 2006, 07:37

Mutare Drake wrote:
Orfinn wrote:Can it really be so hard?
Well, yeah. Look at this forum: there's tons of different ideas circling, many people have different opinions on what should be done. It's pretty tough to get everyone to agree on something, so maybe Ubi/Nival don't want to be inundated with letters/posts from fans who have The Answer to their questions. I sure wish they'd come ask us, even just to get new ideas or things to try out. It'd certainly show that they're trying to overcome the faults of past games (H4!!!) by talking to us, but I can kinda imagine why they wouldn't.
There so many good ideas to pick from for them that they dont bother because they got overwhelmed it seems and just want to think out their own good ideas and hoping we eat it ;|

Fyl
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Fyl » 07 Feb 2006, 18:19

I can only guess that the 'wait' option was replaced by 'initiative' to make somehow the faster troops act more often than the slower ones or pay the price of rushing into it

either way, at least an option should be present for the ones who enjoy taking the time to think things over, it's TBS after all

arthureloi
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby arthureloi » 07 Feb 2006, 18:28

Sorry for my ignorance, but what does "IMO" mean?
One could only match, move by move, the machinations of fate and thus defy the tyrannous stars.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 07 Feb 2006, 18:32

IMO = in my opinion.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

LordHoborgXVII
Scout
Scout

Unread postby LordHoborgXVII » 07 Feb 2006, 19:11

The wait button really was quite useful, as I remember. I always liked using it for Champions and other really fast units. If I had them wait for their first turn, then at the end of the round they would have two turns in a row. I especially liked splitting into 2 or so stacks of Champions, and trampling over all the poor infantry stacks. Of course they want to get rid of this sort of thing in h5, so it seems they don't like waiting. Or maybe it's just the 'waiting makes for long delays.' but in any case, it's a pity. :(
Happy Millenium!

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 07 Feb 2006, 20:24

Because of the Initiative Bar thing Wait is kinda poitless!
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Infiltrator
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Infiltrator » 07 Feb 2006, 20:28

It is, it makes you lose your entire turn. I really hope they put wait + defend back.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 07 Feb 2006, 20:28

No its not.Wait could count like a half action,thuse giving you a move twice as fast.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 07 Feb 2006, 20:39

Defend already does that.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 07 Feb 2006, 20:43

So whats the problem then?

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 07 Feb 2006, 20:48

DaemianLucifer wrote:So whats the problem then?
There already is a Starcraft! :devious:

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 07 Feb 2006, 20:51

Now youre just spamming :devious: :devil:

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 07 Feb 2006, 20:54

Look who's talking. :disagree:

I'd rather have wait and defend, not just a defend that does both. But with the small BF and the Initiative Bar Wait would serve no purpose.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”