The Demo is out!

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
infael
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby infael » 30 Sep 2007, 20:16

I do like the red hammer in the lower right corner of the town icon, telling me I don't have enough resources to build, and the yellow house indicating town is fully developed.
Dell XPS 400, 2 Gb RAM
-Win 7
-all King's Bounty games; M&M 1-9, HOMM 1-6

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 01 Oct 2007, 18:55

Aside from the Battlecries, anybody discover any of the new spells? I didn't have enough resources to devote to upgrading my mage tower in Agreal's campain to find any.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

Metal Wolf
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Metal Wolf » 01 Oct 2007, 21:58

Played the demo today for the first time.

As for the new creatures: At first I was shocked at the low HP of some of the Barbarian's creatures...
Centaur with 6 HP? 3rd lvl orc with only 12 (1st lvl assassin can take him out!)? Slayer with 34?
While having low dmg and defence rate, the Barbarian always had high HP and attack rate...
Though later I realized that a decent amount of the damage is absorbed by the blood rage (and the upgraded units have a nice boost to their HP in many cases as well) I wasnt statisfied yet - I thought that the Slayer is the reincarnation of the legendary Ogre from previous titels, and while maybe he looks like one - he's definitely doesnt "feel" like him.

But enough with the complaints! Overall, I liked it a lot. The map (taken from the barbarian's campaign, I guess) was nice and had innovative elements, and the new faction feels good to play with. I havent encountered any alternatively upgraded creatures from the old factions yet, so there's much to discover!
However, I wont start playing Tote right away, there's yet LOTR:BFME II to finish for me! great game by the way...

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 01 Oct 2007, 23:38

Only seen sorrow that decreases luck and morale. For the rest you can check here at the spells section, there are 2 more per magic school. And firewall moved to destructive at lvl 3 something that your dwarves may appreciate ;)
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 02 Oct 2007, 01:35

Retraining is limited by having to be in a castle of your own type to do it. I think that is pretty fair. There is also a gold cost. I NEVER have enough gold.

You can't complain that it's too easy to retrain and also complain that you can't use avenger/artificer because it takes too long to go to the castle.

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 02 Oct 2007, 10:28

Omega_Destroyer wrote:Aside from the Battlecries, anybody discover any of the new spells? I didn't have enough resources to devote to upgrading my mage tower in Agreal's campain to find any.
Saw only Divine Vengeance in Orcs scenario - when upgraded angels from Military posts to Seraph.

And don't bother with building mage guild in Agrael's scenario - I had tome of destruction/dark/light and summoning magic and there weren't any new spell (besides firewall in destruction magic).
I don't know if someone disabled these new spells on this map or simply "forgot" to add new spells to tome of x magic spell list.

BTW - anyone obtained Treeborn Quiver or Book of Power? I didn't see these artifacts in demo and I wanted see Archer's Dream set in demo (it is only set with I missed).

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 02 Oct 2007, 10:45

PhoenixReborn wrote: You can't complain that it's too easy to retrain and also complain that you can't use avenger/artificer because it takes too long to go to the castle.
Well if you can't what use does the word hypocrite have?!
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 03 Oct 2007, 04:17

ThunderTitan wrote:
PhoenixReborn wrote: You can't complain that it's too easy to retrain and also complain that you can't use avenger/artificer because it takes too long to go to the castle.
Well if you can't what use does the word hypocrite have?!
Well next time someone makes the complaint you have my permission to call them a hypocrite :D

___

I'm wondering did anyone's opinion of Ubival listening to fans change after the demo?

They added things like mixed neutrals, mana bar, artifact sets (more artifacts), and a garrison that actually provides a wall on the combat screen.

Many of those were fan suggestions. One doubt I have is that maybe some of those aren't multiplayer features but only campaign for example mixed neutrals...I can't see those appearing randomly.

Did anyone notice AI improvements? I didn't.

Plus I hate the memory mentor and week changing buildings.

King Imp
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby King Imp » 03 Oct 2007, 06:40

PhoenixReborn wrote: I'm wondering did anyone's opinion of Ubival listening to fans change after the demo?

They added things like mixed neutrals, mana bar, artifact sets (more artifacts), and a garrison that actually provides a wall on the combat screen.

Actually, my opinion has changed a lot. Like you said, it looks like they finally gave us the things we have been asking for since Day 1. I am loving what I am seeing from this demo and can only imagine how much more there will be in the final version.

Plus I hate the memory mentor and week changing buildings.

Really? I am loving those. How many times have you been forced to take a skill or ability you didn't want simply because that's all the game would offer at the time? To me that wasn't fair. If I don't want Enlightenment, why should I be forced to take it. We only have 6 skill slots as it is, so it's crucial to let us take what we want and not what the game wants us to take.

As for the Astrologer's Tower (week changing building) I haven't actually tried it yet, but I think it's a great addition. Remember, we used to have tha ability to take out certain "Week ofs" in the map editor, but then Nival inexplainably took that away from us. Now, even though we can't take them out ourselves, if we see a week coming along that we don't want to happen (for me it will be the one that reduced battle experience by half and the ones that kill your troops) if we have 10,000 gold then we can change it. Remember though, it is 10,000 gold. No one will be wasting that early game to do this.

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 03 Oct 2007, 13:25

I guess the part I object to with the memory mentor is that it immediately gives you a new choice without leveling up. You are only paying a small amount of gold and suddenly you have a shot at another perk. I can live with it though.

About the astrologer's building...I guess it's a magic world but being able to change the week just seems a silly concept to me. It might be amusing to go to the tower after your opponent has and change the week to something different.

edit: + garden of wee folk can give gems.

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 03 Oct 2007, 13:57

One of my favorite additions (sadly I can't remember the name of it), is a building found on Stronghold map that gives you a different bonus depending on what day you go to it. I've had it give me +3 defense on day, +2 attack another, and +1 speed another. It's underground, in the area with the portal that takes you back to your castle.

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 03 Oct 2007, 14:54

Heroes now retreat :hoo: Btw did the AI in previous patches split archers to make sure it will kill your weak heroes?
- Metathron

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 03 Oct 2007, 14:59

I never noticed them retreating or casting high-end spells. Looks like I'll have to up the difficulty again.

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 03 Oct 2007, 17:01

I had it on hard. I don't remember high level spells but they did not have the time, I played fast :) And mystic's vale is not a large map.
- Metathron

King Imp
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby King Imp » 03 Oct 2007, 20:40

Omega_Destroyer wrote:One of my favorite additions (sadly I can't remember the name of it), is a building found on Stronghold map that gives you a different bonus depending on what day you go to it. I've had it give me +3 defense on day, +2 attack another, and +1 speed another. It's underground, in the area with the portal that takes you back to your castle.

Yeah, I saw that building. I really like the idea behind that one.

Being as I was right near it when I read this, I decided to check it out again. It's called the Fortuitous Sanctuary and here are the bonuses you get per day.
Day 1: +3 Attack
Day 2: +1 Morale
Day 3: +3 Defense
Day 4: +1 Luck
Day 5: +1 Initiative
Day 6: +2 Attack & +2 Defense
Day 7: +1 Speed

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 04 Oct 2007, 13:45

Elvin wrote:Heroes now retreat :hoo:
Yes, Playing on hard enemy heroes seem to retreat at the proper time. However, now on normal the enemy heroes never retreat. They shifted the problem :ill:

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Humakt » 04 Oct 2007, 14:41

PhoenixReborn wrote:
Elvin wrote:Heroes now retreat :hoo:
Yes, Playing on hard enemy heroes seem to retreat at the proper time. However, now on normal the enemy heroes never retreat. They shifted the problem :ill:
Sounds like another fantastic design decision. /Sarcasm
Thundermaps
"Death must be impartial. I must sever my ties, lest I shield my kin."

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 04 Oct 2007, 14:55

Not sure if I want to roll on the carpet laughing or smack my forehead.
- Metathron

Alamar
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Alamar » 04 Oct 2007, 16:54

How do the heroes react on heroic difficulty?

At least on Easy & Normal difficulty I think that it's not too bad if the AI does stupid things ....

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 04 Oct 2007, 17:43

Switch to hard people! :-D
- Metathron

Return to “Heroes V-VI”