For those of you who feel the Renegades are fine as they are

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
okrane
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby okrane » 25 Jun 2007, 11:20

@GOW and everybody that thinks that story-wise Renegades should not be in Haven

They are alternates... that means they have taken an alternate path...

We don't have a story yet about other alternates so we cannot compare, but I find no discrepancy in this. Likewise like Orfinn once said, Demons and Devils should not be together in a same town... You might take the simple explanation and say: they are both evil and bla... well, evil creatures associate even harder than good ones, so that won't do...

and the story about the renegades happened back then, in HoF... who knows how the story goes, maybe their names and description will change showing their evolution, and why they allied with Haven.

Nevertheless you can look at it from another perspective: the player chooses what units to use, and how to train them. He can use a mixed army of creatures trained in the Holy Arts and others with a more darker background. Keep in mind that Haven has both Light and Dark and nothing stops the hero from using them both...

So I don't see the fuss about this thing... and still, they are just the descriptions and story from a lousy, and silly campaign... I am sure more talented map-makers will make better story lines in which the apparent discrepancy will disapear

Ceres
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ceres » 25 Jun 2007, 12:12

Elvin wrote:http://www.heroesofmightandmagic.com/he ... ures.shtml

There you go :) They are generally dark and not that holy units :D
Thanks for the link!

Wow... They look powerful! Boros ftw! I hope these guys is as effective as they look. Coz I heard that the other faction's upgrades are great too.

@stefan.urlus

Thanks for removing my confusion! :D

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 25 Jun 2007, 12:14

How often will this have to be repeated? THEY ARE NO RENEGADES! They are the official, new, technically advanced, better-prepared-to-fight demons troops of the Holy Griffin Empire. The only thing that's "strange" here is the "Fallen Angel", in name as well as in ability, and as I said a couple of times before I wouldn't be all too surprised if some units were to change, be it in name, stats or ability; luckily enough the addon system has the advantage that it theoretically allows to play HoF campaigns with HoF "renegades" while ToE will be played with ToE renegades.
ZZZzzzz....

okrane
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby okrane » 25 Jun 2007, 12:24

Well, the abilities I find interesting... they should not be changed, especially since we got used to them... maybe some stat changes here and there...

They can change the names for all I care... but they should be careful not to come up with some lame names like in the case of other races...

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 25 Jun 2007, 12:31

These red angelz are Fallen because they didnt follow the way of the normal haven fellas but sticked to the rest of the renegade lineup. Even angels have choices.. They and the other demon fighting outcasts could as well be fallen imo.

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 25 Jun 2007, 12:55

Jolly Joker wrote:How often will this have to be repeated? THEY ARE NO RENEGADES! They are the official, new, technically advanced, better-prepared-to-fight demons troops of the Holy Griffin Empire. The only thing that's "strange" here is the "Fallen Angel", in name as well as in ability, and as I said a couple of times before I wouldn't be all too surprised if some units were to change, be it in name, stats or ability; luckily enough the addon system has the advantage that it theoretically allows to play HoF campaigns with HoF "renegades" while ToE will be played with ToE renegades.
Until Nival stops calling them renegades.

They have forsaken the Light (Elrath) as their descriptions clearly say.

I understand that Nival may do some fancy footwork and change the storyline or whatever, but until they do they are in fact renegades according to Nival's own cannon and description. Nival calls them renegades and the fan made manual that Nival supplied the information for and that Ubisoft approved calls them renegades.
Zealot: Once Priests of the Light, fanaticism has driven the Zealots to adopt new colors
In other words, they are no longer priests of the Light(Elrath.) They have forsaken him.
Champions: Fanatics who have sworn personal oaths of loyalty to Saint Isabel.
They follow the false Isabel. They no longer have the lay on hands ability because they have forsaken the Light.
Fallen Angel: The whims of the gods are not for us to understand. Why these angels have fallen from grace is anybody's guess. In learning the cruel lessons of their fall from grace, they have also learnt how to drain the life from their enemies.
They are fallen. They are out of Elrath's grace.

Believable story's involving holy wars and Haven are out now unless Nival backtracks and changes names and descriptions of the units since both units are hirable from the same building unless Nival gives the mapmaker the ability to disable alternate cretures in a particular building.

If the stats and abilities are changed I can accept them as an alternate on "normal" maps that don't have a storyline that conflicts, even though certain cretures like the Fallen Angel just don't make sense in the Haven town.

Nival called them renegades. Nival made their descriptions. Don't get mad at those of us who say that because of the cannon Nival wrote and the abilities Nival gave them they don't fit in the Haven town.
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

loran16
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby loran16 » 25 Jun 2007, 13:38

Ceres wrote:
Elvin wrote:http://www.heroesofmightandmagic.com/he ... ures.shtml

There you go :) They are generally dark and not that holy units :D
Thanks for the link!

Wow... They look powerful! Boros ftw! I hope these guys is as effective as they look. Coz I heard that the other faction's upgrades are great too.

@stefan.urlus

Thanks for removing my confusion! :D
The Magic the Gathering color pie does not extend to HoMaM.

(alternatively, you can consider renegades the planar chaos version of the original upgrades.)

Ceres
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ceres » 26 Jun 2007, 02:55

loran16 wrote: The Magic the Gathering color pie does not extend to HoMaM.

(alternatively, you can consider renegades the planar chaos version of the original upgrades.)
*lol*

Well.. yeah. When I saw those pics, it just popped up in my mind. They somehow have those similarities...

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 26 Jun 2007, 04:00

There are two flaws with this thread.

One is that very few people are saying the renegades are fine as they are, no one objects to tweaking them.

Two is that they are in fact being tweaked as is clear on the ubi forum.

Note that I'm talking about gameplay here not story. The story points are valid, but quite frankly I personally don't play for story.

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 26 Jun 2007, 04:17

I only do to the extent of the campaigns. After that, the Renegades could be skirt wearing... wait, I can't go that far. Anyways, after the campaigns it doesn't really bother me what the units ideology is.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 26 Jun 2007, 05:11

Biara's reign is an interregnum only - or can anyone imagine that the ToE campaigns will not see Biara a head or two shorter and someone else becomes King or Queen, probably Duncan and Freyda in marriage union (no, I don't know the script, yet, just speculation on my part)?
Anyway, after that they will correct the glaring abberations, having alternative units, but back on track, so to speak. So I completely fail to see the problem here.
ZZZzzzz....

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: .....

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 28 Jun 2007, 15:43

Grumpy Old Wizard wrote:
The vampirism spell Nival plans to add in the TOTE expansion is game breakingly overpowered.

GOW
In general I'm agreeing with you on this point. I never really liked Vampire ability in any of the heroes game, nor resurrection and raise dead...just look at the motn raise dead strategy for necro.

Anyway I floated the point over at age of heroes and the best response was this
alcibiades wrote:Vampirism will be a level 5 spell, and as such will not be particularly overpowered. That is, when meassured against the likes as Puppet Master ... In fact, Sorrow will be a much more powerfull spell, we can only pray that they will have the wisdom to split it into two separate spells (Nival Sorrow > H3 Sorrow + H3 Misfortune) or to offer no mass effect (poor solution).

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 28 Jun 2007, 15:50

(Nival Sorrow > H3 Sorrow + H3 Misfortune)
Something about Nival Sorrow just makes me smile.
Last edited by Omega_Destroyer on 09 Jul 2007, 01:30, edited 1 time in total.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 09 Jul 2007, 01:18

Just out of curiosity, those who dislike the renegade alternate etc...

when you are playing in hof on a multiplayer map as haven and a renegade unit offers to join you, say crossbowmen, do you reject them because it doesn't make sense?

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 09 Jul 2007, 01:43

PhoenixReborn wrote:Just out of curiosity, those who dislike the renegade alternate etc...

when you are playing in hof on a multiplayer map as haven and a renegade unit offers to join you, say crossbowmen, do you reject them because it doesn't make sense?
That is not the same as having Fallen Angels actually being recruited and trained side by side with Archangels in a holy town.

GOW
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

okrane
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby okrane » 09 Jul 2007, 09:44

oh come on... we will rename them as SERAPHS and all trouble will be gone.... I can't believe you people are actually making this into a serious issue...

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 09 Jul 2007, 11:48

Yeah! I mean the renegades are just as good as the previous not taking campaign elements into account.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 09 Jul 2007, 11:55

Yup, it's pretty much the same as Devils joining you from the Inferno when you're a Knight.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 09 Jul 2007, 15:14

Are we still arguing about this??
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 09 Jul 2007, 17:33

better then starting to give science lessons...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Return to “Heroes V-VI”