Watching the time pass me by...

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Ed Robinson
Peasant
Peasant

Watching the time pass me by...

Unread postby Ed Robinson » 28 May 2007, 23:35

I find the length of time spent watching the colored bar progress representing the time the computer spends on each player between my own turns. Especially at the beginning of the game when there is no visible action to watch.

I'm sure the computer knows what's visible and could just jump past those areas not open on the map. If I get 5 minutes of an hour in play time that's at a lot.

If there's ameasy remedy please let me know. If not let Ubisoft know.

Thanks, Ed

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 29 May 2007, 12:35

Just curious what are your computer's specs.

My computer's are average and the game runs very playable on both of them.

You really only play 5 minutes out of 60? It's more like 50, 60 for me.

Naki
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Naki » 29 May 2007, 13:13

I find the length of time spent watching the colored bar progress representing the time the computer spends on each player between my own turns.
Where is the adjective? Should be "I find the length of time... disgusting/cool/bad/unsatisfactory/too big/etc.", no?

Apocalypse
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Apocalypse » 29 May 2007, 13:28

I never had a problem with HoF and I don't have a very powerful computer either ( :D ):

- Intel Pentium 4 Celeron 2.4 Ghz
- 1024 MB DDR Ram (512+512)
- Nvidia GeForce 6200, 128 MB video RAM

As you can see, my specs are rather average and still no problems with H5 :)

(make sure you install the latest drivers on your computer)
Hide, listen, watch, learn… And when the time is right, strike from the shadow.

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 29 May 2007, 14:38

Same here. Average puter but works just fine :)

- AMD Athlon 2,08 Ghz ( just as strong as a Pentium 4 2.5 Ghz)
- 768 DDR/SD RAM
- Nvidia GeForce 8600 Ultra, 256 MB video RAM

The only drawback is the RAM, nature how long I have wondered if I want to buy more ore not..lazy I know :D

Ed Robinson
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Ed Robinson » 29 May 2007, 16:23

Actually, it isn't machine speed as far as I know. I have a new Interl Dual Core with 2 Gig of RAM and 500 MB on the Video Card. It's possible that with Windows Vista that memory is allocated poorly and this could slow processing but I certainly haven't seen this in sluggish response while I'm active on the screen. I also, and I never would have believed this, seen such a performance boost on my internet services that there is no comparison to any of my earlier machines and I'm a cable user.

If you suspect that this may be machine related, I recall at one time there was a web site that you could go to and it would test your system remotely. Do you know of any such site?

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 29 May 2007, 16:41

Ed Robinson wrote:Actually, it isn't machine speed as far as I know. I have a new Interl Dual Core with 2 Gig of RAM and 500 MB on the Video Card. It's possible that with Windows Vista that memory is allocated poorly and this could slow processing but I certainly haven't seen this in sluggish response while I'm active on the screen. I also, and I never would have believed this, seen such a performance boost on my internet services that there is no comparison to any of my earlier machines and I'm a cable user.

If you suspect that this may be machine related, I recall at one time there was a web site that you could go to and it would test your system remotely. Do you know of any such site?
I have seemingly a similar machine that you do, and in my play the AI turns take 30 sec to 1 minute tops.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Apocalypse
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Apocalypse » 29 May 2007, 17:05

Maybe he hasn't updated his drivers? I don't know why, but I think it's a software problem
Hide, listen, watch, learn… And when the time is right, strike from the shadow.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 29 May 2007, 17:24

Apocalypse wrote:Maybe he hasn't updated his drivers? I don't know why, but I think it's a software problem
Maybe. Do you (Ed) have programs running in the background? If your computer loads a bunch of programs when you boot up windows, that could also cause slowdowns.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 30 May 2007, 04:22

actually Ed, your problem is a similar one to what others experience, seems to occur when you have a few AI players (3 or 4) and then the turns ust take freaking ages, I certainly exp the same problem, and my system is more than capable of running the thing .... there was some talk of a tweaking utility to help with this, I think "smith" something or other had something to do with it

not big on the particulars you see :)
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

Ed Robinson
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Ed Robinson » 30 May 2007, 11:57

Actually, I was using an automatically generated map and there were 7 players, so that was probably it, if this is happening to others. I played a down loaded map and the wait time between turns was noticeably quicker.

Thanks, Ed

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 30 May 2007, 16:33

Well if anyone is interested,

Smith-BD was the poster on the ubi forums who alerted everyone about the tweaker. The tweaker can be found on maps4heroes.com.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”