8x10

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

Do you:

Don't like it
40%
Will not buy the game because of it!
8%
Like it
10%
Don't care
21%
Don't care
21%

Total votes: 129

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 25 Jan 2006, 01:02

Corribus wrote:
DaemianLucifer wrote:Even if they do increase it to be larger that in HIII,we had such an imense battlefield in HIV,with so much freedom,that any battlefield consisting of large squares,no matter its size,is inferior compared to it.
Did we play the same game? The battlefield in H4 was awful! Not only was it impossible to determine line of sight, but the large size of the battlefield made the "blind/slow and run away" and other similar exploits so easy.
No,the view of the battlefield was terrible.And sure,there were exploits,but werent there exploits eariler(summon elemental,blind+pass turn+attack+repeat,slow+fly arround)?And there always will be.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 25 Jan 2006, 01:04

DaemianLucifer wrote: No,the view of the battlefield was terrible.And sure,there were exploits,but werent there exploits eariler(summon elemental,blind+pass turn+attack+repeat,slow+fly arround)?And there always will be.
Yes there have always been exploits - but a larger battle field exacerbates this particular type.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 25 Jan 2006, 01:06

Corribus wrote:
DaemianLucifer wrote: No,the view of the battlefield was terrible.And sure,there were exploits,but werent there exploits eariler(summon elemental,blind+pass turn+attack+repeat,slow+fly arround)?And there always will be.
Yes there have always been exploits - but a larger battle field exacerbates this particular type.
So youre saying that because of this disciples style of fighting is actually the best one?

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 25 Jan 2006, 01:09

DaemianLucifer wrote: So youre saying that because of this disciples style of fighting is actually the best one?
Never played it.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 25 Jan 2006, 01:13

Corribus wrote:
DaemianLucifer wrote: So youre saying that because of this disciples style of fighting is actually the best one?
Never played it.
Basic description:6 creature slots in two rows,each creature has one of the two attack types(adjacent can attack just those adjacent to it,so it cannot touch the second row if there is a creature in the first one;any can attack any creature on the field).Creatures dont move,just attack(or use their specialties).

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 25 Jan 2006, 01:15

I don't know - I feel I'd have to play it to judge it. (hint, hint) Sometimes rules sound very stupid on paper but actually work well in practice.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 25 Jan 2006, 01:18

It has its good sides,Ill give you that.No moving means no running around like a pu...errr,chicken :devil: But,it also means no flanking,manuevering,protecting archers,guerilla,etc.So you cannot say that the HIV battlefield was bad just because you could outrun slow walkers and kill them from distance.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 25 Jan 2006, 01:23

DaemianLucifer wrote:It has its good sides,Ill give you that.No moving means no running around like a pu...errr,chicken :devil: But,it also means no flanking,manuevering,protecting archers,guerilla,etc.So you cannot say that the HIV battlefield was bad just because you could outrun slow walkers and kill them from distance.
Perhaps - but by that same token, a small battlefield has its advantages (and disadvantages) as well. And if the screenshots showed that H5 had a HUGE battlefield, I would be justified in being similarly concerned, but I also would not rush to judge it until I've seen it in its final iteration. Which is basically my point. I'm not really arguing for one battlefield size or the other - I'm arguing for people not to lose their heads and declare that the game is a total failure before they've even played it, regardless if they think a small battlefield is good or bad.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 25 Jan 2006, 01:29

Yes,but what Im saying all this time is that there is an optimal battlefield size,and it certanly isnt 8*10.

Besides,having tried both the small and large battlefields,I see that there are more advantages to the big one.You dont see it like that because the poor camera discouraged you from giving it a chance.Im not loosing my had,Im just saying that the game looks bad at its current stage,and that Im not very optimistic about its chances for improvement.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 25 Jan 2006, 01:33

DaemianLucifer wrote:There is an optimal battlefield size,and it certanly isnt 8*10.
Maybe there is... but how do you know it isn't 8x10? And if it isn't optimal, that's not to say it is disasterous. There is a middle ground.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 25 Jan 2006, 01:38

Corribus wrote:
DaemianLucifer wrote:There is an optimal battlefield size,and it certanly isnt 8*10.
Maybe there is... but how do you know it isn't 8x10? And if it isn't optimal, that's not to say it is disasterous. There is a middle ground.
Oh,do I have to repeat my example again?! :wall: Just take two full large creatures army and youll see that its too small to do anything.

FatalTheRabbit
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby FatalTheRabbit » 25 Jan 2006, 01:46

How absolutely futile. That question was discussed thoroughly corribus. Read the damn thread rather than trying to lead it around it circles.
Don't touch me I'm super important.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 25 Jan 2006, 01:50

The very fact that we don't know if the final battlefield size is ultimately good or bad ensures that it will go in circles. But you've already made your decision that you're not going to buy this game, right? So why do you keep returning to talk about H5? Shouldn't you be playing your order-of-magnitude-better H4?

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 25 Jan 2006, 01:56

Corribus wrote:The very fact that we don't know if the final battlefield size is ultimately good or bad ensures that it will go in circles. But you've already made your decision that you're not going to buy this game, right? So why do you keep returning to talk about H5? Shouldn't you be playing your order-of-magnitude-better H4?
Were just saying that 8*10 isnt a good one!I personaly liked their original idea of scalable fields.And this isnt the only reason Im not going to buy it.Although I might buy it if it turns out decent,but I doubt it.And dont bash the game because you didnt like it.I like all of the previous parts of HoMM,and am curently playing the third in order to acustom myself back to that gameplay style.

FatalTheRabbit
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby FatalTheRabbit » 25 Jan 2006, 02:02

The very fact that we don't know if the final battlefield size is ultimately good or bad ensures that it will go in circles. But you've already made your decision that you're not going to buy this game, right? So why do you keep returning to talk about H5? Shouldn't you be playing your order-of-magnitude-better H4?
You truly are without peer when it comes to willfully turning a blind eye to the facts. We have not been arguing about some unidentified version of the battle field. We have been arguing that 8x10 is not optimal. If the battlefield remains 8x10 I will not buy the game. That image really drove home how poor the 8x10 field is, and having heard that there may be no longer be a range penalty on the offical forums I am highly irritated.

Also, I personally have not been using Heroes IV to defend my position; I've been using Heroes II&III. With every post you write it becomes clearer that you are not aware of what has been discussed here.
Don't touch me I'm super important.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 25 Jan 2006, 02:25

FatalTheRabbit wrote: You truly are without peer when it comes to willfully turning a blind eye to the facts. We have not been arguing about some unidentified version of the battle field. We have been arguing that 8x10 is not optimal. If the battlefield remains 8x10 I will not buy the game. That image really drove home how poor the 8x10 field is, and having heard that there may be no longer be a range penalty on the offical forums I am highly irritated.
:baby: So don't buy it if you don't like it or if it "highly irritates you". I don't really care. I happen to like what I've seen. (I am not permitted to comment on the gameplay.)
Also, I personally have not been using Heroes IV to defend my position; I've been using Heroes II&III. With every post you write it becomes clearer that you are not aware of what has been discussed here.
I didn't bring up H4 - you did. By writing:
Out of 10 HMMV = HMMIV-10.
And then DL followed it up in more detail a few posts later by writing:
we had such an imense battlefield in HIV,with so much freedom,that any battlefield consisting of large squares,no matter its size,is inferior compared to it.
So please, don't criticize me for not being aware of what has been discussed, since clearly you aren't.

IceCold2000
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby IceCold2000 » 25 Jan 2006, 05:20

8 x 10 is a bit small for a Heroes Battlefield, unless the hero can only hold five slots like Heroes 1 or 2. The 11 x 14/15 battlefield in Heroes 3 was a perfect choice.

Boo! :tsdown:

gravyluvr
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby gravyluvr » 25 Jan 2006, 05:45

Oh god! Heroes 3 -blech....

Try a twenty by twenty but don't allow upgraded units to be on the battlefield. Upgraded units can only fight in special I'm better than you cafes that allow for upgraded and knighted characters to fight.

If I wanted a downgraded unit - I'd play a different game. Don't give me crap that I need to improve. Give me the good stuff right away. Who wants a giant?
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
If I were a flower, I'd be a really big flame-throwing flower with five heads.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 25 Jan 2006, 06:19

@gravyluvr

Havent you heard?Recently it has been decided that giant is to be spelled gaint in order to praise one special creature :devil:

wimfrits
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby wimfrits » 25 Jan 2006, 07:27

I still cannot understand why almost everyone claims 8x10 is bad without having played it.

For one, by saying so, you're assuming that both the development team and the Ubi testers and the large group of betatesters don't know what they are doing. That's a pretty bold statement.

If people with real experience concerning the field are dissatisfied, the size might still change. If not, experience probably indicated that the size is good.

You could at least try to keep an open mind on this.
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

Return to “Heroes V-VI”