Siege Screenshots?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 16 Jan 2006, 12:45

Maybe not "best", but at least better than what we've seen so far. And I agree that it looks like H4 features will be scarce :S
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 16 Jan 2006, 12:58

Gaidal Cain wrote:Maybe not "best", but at least better than what we've seen so far. And I agree that it looks like H4 features will be scarce :S
Non-existing is more accurate.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 16 Jan 2006, 15:04

Gaidal Cain wrote:I think both had strong points. H4 was good in that it forced you to rely on your own units, but on the other hand, they made them so strong that an overwhelming advantage was needed in order to capture a town.
I don't know, I'm of the opinion that you should need an overwhelming advantage to capture a castle. It was one of the few things I liked about H4.

Corribus
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 16 Jan 2006, 17:18

Yeah, I'd like to see the siege as a seperate part of the game, so to speak - different from anything else. With the 3D engine, a whole new dimension of siege warfare is made possible, with positioning of troops ahead of the battle, various siege weapons (hoping for several for both attack and defence) and tactics.
Since we haven't heard much, I don't have too high hopes, however..
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Arzang
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Arzang » 16 Jan 2006, 19:38

whether they go for HIV or H3 approach they need to reconsider the siege battles. just choosing one approach, or even a mix of both, is in no way or how innovation or a substitute for innovation.

why not give each town different siege defense/offense capabilities, why not combine both approaches, add new things, remove the crappy things?

I really wanted ladders or anything for that matter to be added to the siege battles.

at least we have some solid material for the expansion. an expansion that changes the game play (but with options to play it old school of course) is way more interesting than the old map packs 3DO shoved down our throats.

I'd rather gag on new game play features than new maps.

Anonimous360
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Anonimous360 » 16 Jan 2006, 20:28

I like the idea about each faction having it's own siege equipment, though it probably ain't going to happen. But ladders and rams are good ideas and "underwall sapping" isn't bad too but the last one complicates everything a lot in my (oppinion ofcourse). Runaway tunnels in all of the factions isn't a bad idea either and it'll probably make the conquering of the town harder for the attacker.
Why did I type my username with an "i"?

Arzang
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Arzang » 16 Jan 2006, 20:32

Anonimous360 wrote:I like the idea about each faction having it's own siege equipment, though it probably ain't going to happen. But ladders and rams are good ideas and "underwall sapping" isn't bad too but the last one complicates everything a lot in my (oppinion ofcourse). Runaway tunnels in all of the factions isn't a bad idea either and it'll probably make the conquering of the town harder for the attacker.
yeah it probably won't happen and I think they(nival)'ve already said that there will be no ladders.

what I hated about H3 was that if the opponent busted your catapult, killed your fliers and dwelled inside town he would have a tremendous advantage.

there is nothing wrong with the defender having an advantage but that was just plain stupid in my opinion.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 16 Jan 2006, 20:38

Yes,one powerful implosion would render all the enemies walkers usseles(usually two stacks),which gave you a tremendus advantage.

arthureloi
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby arthureloi » 21 Jan 2006, 01:59

It´s funny how my opinion looks like it was crafted by the devil, friends, as it always seems to go against the majority, but after all, sadly as it is, I have to express it, or it wouldn´t be my opinion :)
Well, the siege in heroes IV was one of the things wich made me sick about that game, and see how a little thing can help big time to putting a game down in my concept.. I think the sieges in IV were ridiculously unfair, since the attacker would have to be extremely stronger to win, and there were no catapults??? what the?? Well, thats my opinion, and as for the sieges in III, that´s more like it, I love them and if this system were the same in V I would be happy!
One could only match, move by move, the machinations of fate and thus defy the tyrannous stars.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 21 Jan 2006, 02:12

arthureloi wrote:It´s funny how my opinion looks like it was crafted by the devil, friends, as it always seems to go against the majority, but after all, sadly as it is, I have to express it, or it wouldn´t be my opinion :)
Well, the siege in heroes IV was one of the things wich made me sick about that game, and see how a little thing can help big time to putting a game down in my concept.. I think the sieges in IV were ridiculously unfair, since the attacker would have to be extremely stronger to win, and there were no catapults??? what the?? Well, thats my opinion, and as for the sieges in III, that´s more like it, I love them and if this system were the same in V I would be happy!
Funny.I thought fortreses were meda so that even a stronger force has problems while conquering it.But the addition of catapults would be nice.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 21 Jan 2006, 02:15

But the addition of catapults would be nice.
I would surely more prefer battering rams.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

arthureloi
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby arthureloi » 21 Jan 2006, 02:23

Funny.I thought fortreses were meda so that even a stronger force has problems while conquering it.But the addition of catapults would be nice.
That´s for sure... but I think you might agree with me in the point that it´s ridiculous in IV, you go with a 10x superior army to attack the castle of the enemy, and if he´s got a healer and a high level sorcerer that, bid goodbye my friend, no matter how strong you are, it´s cowardice.. and man, if the enemy´s got cyclops on their towers... nah, I´d better start it all over! Call me noob, but in 8 years of heroes I´ve never seen such unfairness.
One could only match, move by move, the machinations of fate and thus defy the tyrannous stars.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 21 Jan 2006, 13:43

arthureloi wrote: That´s for sure... but I think you might agree with me in the point that it´s ridiculous in IV, you go with a 10x superior army to attack the castle of the enemy, and if he´s got a healer and a high level sorcerer that, bid goodbye my friend, no matter how strong you are, it´s cowardice.. and man, if the enemy´s got cyclops on their towers... nah, I´d better start it all over! Call me noob, but in 8 years of heroes I´ve never seen such unfairness.
Hmm... yes it's very unfair. Even in medieval times people complained about how hard it is to take over a castle even if you have a big numerical advantage.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 21 Jan 2006, 13:56

On the other hand, no one complained if they found the city's water sources (except for those under siege, of course). ;)
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

arthureloi
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby arthureloi » 21 Jan 2006, 16:49

Nice :D

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 21 Jan 2006, 22:10

theLuckyDragon wrote:On the other hand, no one complained if they found the city's water sources (except for those under siege, of course). ;)
Not if poison found it's way in there. :devil:
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 21 Jan 2006, 22:16

That's exactly my point. Those who are under siege complain, but those who are sieging most definitly don't complain.

Too bad it's so unlikely to see some tactics like this in Heroes. Maybe only with scripting...

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 21 Jan 2006, 22:20

theLuckyDragon wrote:Maybe only with scripting...
Maybe we had gain some global destructive spells. Famine...
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 21 Jan 2006, 22:32

Summon the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse: bring forth complete destruction and the End of the World too! Witness the fields wither, the dwellings fall apart, the creatures go ill with avian flu! Your computer will crash into utter oblivion, no one will ever be able to play Heroes again! Everyone loses, but you receive extra points for managing to get the level 666 hero to perform the spell.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Famine

Unread postby Pol » 21 Jan 2006, 22:43

Heh, nope. :)

Famine, Call Void and some others were global spells available under Master of Magic, you had been supposed to cast them on towns to halve theirs unit production, gold production or do a one phase reduction of opposing army. Here were protective spell as well.

This concept never work in Heroes world but here are also not any rumours about the scripting (capabilities). Here is no need to exclude such spells, everyone remember how was popular Town Portal. Yes, this one was in MoM too and with a little better effect, it wasn't possible to misues it like in H3 or H4.
"We made it!"

Return to “Heroes V-VI”