Race and Town Creation Contest - Please tell me your ideas

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 30 Jun 2006, 19:27

@kingcomrade
:lolu:
That'd be a hilarious idea for a mod, seriously! Someone write it down!... Oh, wait, it already is written down...
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 30 Jun 2006, 19:46

ThunderTitan wrote:If were introducing all kinds of color coded elves how about some Black and Yellow human faction?! Why are there only White humans?
Because we already have yellow humans(vampires look japanese to me),black humans you get when you shoot a human with a fireball,and other colours arent that important :devil:

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 30 Jun 2006, 19:51

DaemianLucifer wrote:Because we already have yellow humans(vampires look japanese to me)
Squinting does not asian one make. Vamps just need glasses.

At least mages look mildly middle-eastern, or like they just got a tan. :|
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 01 Jul 2006, 16:42

quote]If were introducing all kinds of color coded elves how about some Black and Yellow human faction?! Why are there only White humans?[/quote]

If I had to guess, I'd say it's because the Haven faction is based on traditional European-style armies. And yes, I am very aware that European armies did not have clerics, griffins, and angels wandering about the fields.

An Asian and African/Carribean theme could very well be in the expansions somewhere. The problem is creating a unique faction; not something like Dark Humans or Golden Humans.

And on a quick side note, I want to praise everybody who uses this board for their maturity and ability to support their arguments with logic. I've been looking at various other boards around the net and I am disappointed at the total lack of support for any conclusion.

Mod Note: Edit button...

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 01 Jul 2006, 17:19

Omega_Destroyer wrote: If I had to guess, I'd say it's because the Haven faction is based on traditional European-style armies.
*cough*Moors*cough* And don't even get me started how not all europeans are white.

Hey, i only use logic because i'm forced too.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 01 Jul 2006, 17:22

I originally omitted the word sterotype from the above posting. A lot of people view medieval factions as predominately Anglo-Saxon, not as Moors and the such. Chalk it up to ignorance if you must.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 01 Jul 2006, 17:33

Look at it this way:Its based on germany,thus haven is full of nazis :devil:

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 01 Jul 2006, 17:36

I'll chalk it up to british imperialism thank you very much.

And Alabaster, Ebony and Golden Humans sound like great counterparts to the colour-coded Elves (which are still white in H5).

Sure i'd love some originality, but it doesn't seem like something they can do right now, so at least they can be politicaly correct. :devil:

@DL:
The Holy Roman Empire of the German Nation please. And more like GB & France actualy.

kingcomrade
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby kingcomrade » 02 Jul 2006, 14:50

And yes, I am very aware that European armies did not have clerics, griffins, and angels wandering about the fields.
But inquisitors, griffins, and angels are very European notions.
A lot of people view medieval factions as predominately Anglo-Saxon, not as Moors and the such.
Actually, typical medieval settings are more French than they are "Anglo-Saxon." It really depends on if it's high or low fantasy. Low fantasy tends to be more Anglo and Germanic in nature.
MystDragon's dwarves
Yeah, because what the fantasy genre needs is another cliché.

There's a lot of fun stuff out there. What I'd like to see is something steampunkish. And I'd also prefer that whatever species it is based off not go the Blizzard route, where you just anthropomorphize some animal. Warcraft, for instance, is populated not just by the color-coded elves, but by bear-people, fish-people, snake-people, deer-people, pig-people, lizard-people, bull-people, bug-people, etc.

soupnazii
Genie
Genie

Unread postby soupnazii » 03 Jul 2006, 12:38

kingcomrade wrote:There's a lot of fun stuff out there. What I'd like to see is something steampunkish. And I'd also prefer that whatever species it is based off not go the Blizzard route, where you just anthropomorphize some animal. Warcraft, for instance, is populated not just by the color-coded elves, but by bear-people, fish-people, snake-people, deer-people, pig-people, lizard-people, bull-people, bug-people, etc.
that doesnt leave alot of -people open for us to use without looking Blizzard-ish, does it?

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 03 Jul 2006, 16:52

Well, it doesn't appear to be that easy to come up with original ideas for races in rpgs anymore. Either the race has to be a subdivision or a "dark" form of an existing race, some animal/beast humanoid society, undead or spectral, etc, etc.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 03 Jul 2006, 18:53

please, there are countless obscure fantasy races you can use. D&D is full of them.

Gus
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Gus » 03 Jul 2006, 18:56

it's not exactly "original" then, is it?

kingcomrade
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby kingcomrade » 04 Jul 2006, 06:38

Nothing under the sun is original. I just didn't mean so trite and uninspired. Blizzard can do artwork, but they aren't particularly inventive. As for difficulty coming up with fantasy races, that's not really true at all. You should read some stuff by Mieville, or a couple other authors.

soupnazii
Genie
Genie

Unread postby soupnazii » 05 Jul 2006, 16:23

well, Blizzards already taken all the good ones, but they could easily use WorCraft races that are simply shown differently. for example, they could have hippogriffs that would be more harry potter-ish than blizzard-ish (horse-eagle instead of deer-raven). their orcs, they have already got down (instead of blizzard's greenskins we have redskins). they could have so many variations that there are actually quite alot of races left. they just have to make sure that they dont resemble Blizzard's version too much.

MrSteamTank
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby MrSteamTank » 05 Jul 2006, 16:28

kingcomrade wrote:
And yes, I am very aware that European armies did not have clerics, griffins, and angels wandering about the fields.
But inquisitors, griffins, and angels are very European notions.
A lot of people view medieval factions as predominately Anglo-Saxon, not as Moors and the such.
Actually, typical medieval settings are more French than they are "Anglo-Saxon." It really depends on if it's high or low fantasy. Low fantasy tends to be more Anglo and Germanic in nature.
MystDragon's dwarves
Yeah, because what the fantasy genre needs is another cliché.

There's a lot of fun stuff out there. What I'd like to see is something steampunkish. And I'd also prefer that whatever species it is based off not go the Blizzard route, where you just anthropomorphize some animal. Warcraft, for instance, is populated not just by the color-coded elves, but by bear-people, fish-people, snake-people, deer-people, pig-people, lizard-people, bull-people, bug-people, etc.
I agree with you on all aspects here. The typical medieval knight in shining armor is really a picture of the french armies back then. And I'd definitely like to see a steampunk race in homm5. With the current art in the game I think they'd do a marvelous job with it.

soupnazii
Genie
Genie

Unread postby soupnazii » 05 Jul 2006, 16:50

just because they can do it doesnt mean they should.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 05 Jul 2006, 17:07

soupnazii wrote:for example, they could have hippogriffs that would be more harry potter-ish than blizzard-ish (horse-eagle instead of deer-raven). their orcs, they have already got down (instead of blizzard's greenskins we have redskins). they could have so many variations that there are actually quite alot of races left. they just have to make sure that they dont resemble Blizzard's version too much.
Color-coding.... don't you just love it?!

HoMM had pig-orcs. I loved those. But they weren't in H3, so.... :(

And hippogriffs are offsprings of a griffin and a mare, so horse-eagle they should be, no matter what Blizz did to them.

soupnazii
Genie
Genie

Unread postby soupnazii » 05 Jul 2006, 17:29

yes, colorcoding is great... but i really did not like the pig-orcs from H4. there were some good things and some bad in H4, and the orcs were among the bad imo... when i think of an orc two images come to mind: the WarCraft 2 green orc peon (stop clicking on me!!) and the LotR reddish-brownish orcs. when i think of a fierce, menacing beast orc, i think of the LotR orcs, so i am glad that that is the kind of orc Ubi went for. i only think of the H4 orc when some mentions a "stupid pig-elephant ugly thing on two legs with axes"...

Return to “Heroes V-VI”