I hate this game (long rant)

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 15 Dec 2006, 10:03

Jolly Joker wrote:
How can you expect ANY software manufacturer to produce bugfree games
A smart customer demands perfection... it's economic theory.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby MistWeaver » 15 Dec 2006, 10:22

Or can someone count the numerous patches for MS products like the OS itself
Bad example. Windows was always usable. patches just putting more protection.
HoF - on other hand is not. Many ppl cant even finish campaign.

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 15 Dec 2006, 10:25

ThunderTitan wrote:
Jolly Joker wrote:
How can you expect ANY software manufacturer to produce bugfree games
A smart customer demands perfection... it's economic theory.
Shouldn't you start with MS then and demand perfection from THEM, since the working and performance of their product will have direct influence on how other software will perform?

Seriously, if that was true, NO ONE would have an MS operating system on their machines. Instead anyone would have Linux installed, and MS would be either broke or forced to make better OS systems.

azzy
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby azzy » 15 Dec 2006, 10:27

I'm just curious what bugs PREVENT you from finishing HoF because so far I havent detected any major bug/crash in the campaign.

ChrisAsmadi
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby ChrisAsmadi » 15 Dec 2006, 10:33

Face it, Gaming is on a steady decline. It's due to it's increased popularity, so the games companies are focusing on getting out the games fast and with stuff that appeals to a large majority of gamers (aka, the idiots who focus on graphics). For instance, the high points of strategy RPGs were Shining Force 2, Final Fantasy Tactics and Heroes of Might and Magic 3 - they've just gone downhill from there, focusing on graphics.

Another instance is the Ultima series - One to Eight ROCKED. Then EA decide they want Nine out fast, which causes corners to be cut alot, which makes the game overall worse.

What gaming companies need to realise is that they need to stop focusing on junk (Graphics, Stupid games like Guitar Hero/Sports Games/ect) and start focusing on the gameplay and storyline. But they won't, because the vast majority of gamers now that it's popular are idiots who buy that crap. This is the flaw with companies that focus on getting money, rather than pleasing their customers - they generally create crappier games.

MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby MistWeaver » 15 Dec 2006, 10:34

Jolly Joker wrote:Instead anyone would have Linux installed
Please, WinXp is seriously far more better that any linux I saw thus far. There are not as many security patches for linux, just because not one trying to write a worm for it. 90% users has Windows. So viruses and worms are made for Windows.

val-gaav
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby val-gaav » 15 Dec 2006, 10:51

MistWeaver wrote:
Jolly Joker wrote:Instead anyone would have Linux installed
Please, WinXp is seriously far more better that any linux I saw thus far. There are not as many security patches for linux, just because not one trying to write a worm for it. 90% users has Windows. So viruses and worms are made for Windows.
ROTFL

Before you say something do a little research ...

Firstly linux has many security patches .... the diffrence beetween windows and linux is that linux get fixed quicker and it's open source nature allows to find more bugs/security issues then in win..

Secondly WinXP is not seriously better then linux... If it's so better why do you have to install antivirus, antispyware and firewall there ? why it slows down as hell after a year of using it ? Those things do not happen in linux ... I could also say how linux manages memory better and allocate OS resources ...

Thirdly your statement that viruses are made for windows becouse 90% users have it is not true.... Linux is installed in 60% servers through the world ... Now is it not a good reason to write viruses for it ?
Linux has better security then windows. It is made so, so while writing a virus for windows is simple due to many security issues and a security politic that allows normal users to do everything, writing a virus for linux is not so simple. In fact there are about 400 viruses for linux , but none of them is seriously dangerous.
Last edited by val-gaav on 15 Dec 2006, 10:56, edited 1 time in total.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 15 Dec 2006, 10:56

Jolly Joker wrote: Shouldn't you start with MS then and demand perfection from THEM, since the working and performance of their product will have direct influence on how other software will perform?

Seriously, if that was true, NO ONE would have an MS operating system on their machines. Instead anyone would have Linux installed, and MS would be either broke or forced to make better OS systems.
He said smart customer,not every customer.Thats why linux is not supported by many programs.But there are workarounds in windows as well.For example look at the internet:Many have ditched IE long ago.And outlook as well.
azzy wrote:I'm just curious what bugs PREVENT you from finishing HoF because so far I havent detected any major bug/crash in the campaign.
I know of a bug that prevent you from finishing a map,and I havent even played FoH.Just because it didnt happen to you doesnt mean its not there.And just because you can cheat your way around doesnt mean its ok.

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 15 Dec 2006, 11:42

DaemianLucifer wrote:
Jolly Joker wrote: Shouldn't you start with MS then and demand perfection from THEM, since the working and performance of their product will have direct influence on how other software will perform?

He said smart customer,not every customer.Thats why linux is not supported by many programs.But there are workarounds in windows as well.For example look at the internet:Many have ditched IE long ago.And outlook as well.
The smart customer would demand making games for Linux and not expect perfection from windows based games.

okrane
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby okrane » 15 Dec 2006, 12:01

Jolly, you're not right and even you know it...

There are many games in the present game industry that have much less bugs, and even if they do, the are surely less annoying that the bugs h5 has.

Take Warcraft III for example, or World of Warcraft... they are IMO state of the art games.
They are not bug-free but they are so good that an eventual minor bug can be overlooked. I don't remember anyone complain about not being able to finish Warcraft campains, or The Frozen Throne campain because they were stuck at some point not knowing what to do or an ennemy attacked in day 1 with 3 times more army...
Even so, Blizzard released many patches in order to balance every little thing.... and surely they did not introduced new bugs with the new patch...

So all I'm saying is there are games right now that are very good, and stating that a game can't be made as good as we demand, is well... silly. Warcraft III and expansion was worth every single cent it costed, and I think fans would be disposed to pay doulbe that amount, because It's just pure quality

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 15 Dec 2006, 12:12

Jolly Joker wrote: The smart customer would demand making games for Linux and not expect perfection from windows based games.
First,you asume (wrongly) that a smart customer doesnt do that,second,you asume (again wrongly) that smart customers are a majority and third you asume (guess what goes here) that companies will listen to the smart minority.

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 15 Dec 2006, 12:42

okrane wrote:Jolly, you're not right and even you know it...

There are many games in the present game industry that have much less bugs, and even if they do, the are surely less annoying that the bugs h5 has.

Take Warcraft III for example, or World of Warcraft... they are IMO state of the art games.
They are not bug-free but they are so good that an eventual minor bug can be overlooked. I don't remember anyone complain about not being able to finish Warcraft campains, or The Frozen Throne campain because they were stuck at some point not knowing what to do or an ennemy attacked in day 1 with 3 times more army...
Even so, Blizzard released many patches in order to balance every little thing.... and surely they did not introduced new bugs with the new patch...

So all I'm saying is there are games right now that are very good, and stating that a game can't be made as good as we demand, is well... silly. Warcraft III and expansion was worth every single cent it costed, and I think fans would be disposed to pay doulbe that amount, because It's just pure quality
I took the time to check into the Blizzard Forum. WC 3 is at patch 1.20 now, over 3 years after the release of the first patch.
And the thread called

Bugs in 1.20.

The thread has 17 pages with over 100000 views.

This is the before last post (the last one quotes it):

FIX THE MOTHER!&$%ING FFA AMM
thx
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From russia with nuke. I respect only old amm, old amm solo lvl 24, rt lvl 19, ffa lvl 10
new amm sux coz noobs can make hight

Does that sound like a customer satisfied with the quality work of Blizzard?

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 15 Dec 2006, 12:45

DaemianLucifer wrote:
Jolly Joker wrote: The smart customer would demand making games for Linux and not expect perfection from windows based games.
First,you asume (wrongly) that a smart customer doesnt do that,second,you asume (again wrongly) that smart customers are a majority and third you asume (guess what goes here) that companies will listen to the smart minority.
None of that, DL. I just said what the smart customer would do in my opinion (as opposed to TT's opinion). I assume nothing here.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 15 Dec 2006, 13:04

Jolly Joker wrote: FIX THE MOTHER!&$%ING FFA AMM
thx
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From russia with nuke. I respect only old amm, old amm solo lvl 24, rt lvl 19, ffa lvl 10
new amm sux coz noobs can make hight

Does that sound like a customer satisfied with the quality work of Blizzard?
Hmmm...It sounds familiar but I cant really pinpoint...Oh,wait...Yes I can :devious:

okrane
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby okrane » 15 Dec 2006, 13:27

@ JJ

I wont join the arguement cause I really have better things to do...

anyway...just my 2 cents:
did not see that many spelling errors in W3, did not see unplayable campaigns, or greatly unbalanced things.
Like you said, you really can't satisfy everyone... I mean what does satisfy everybody in this world?
BUT the great thing about warcraft is that it DID NOT dissapoint fans (on the contrary it has made more fans than before), and it satisfied a great majority of people.
The only complaints I heard were some like: "Human imba" etc, which came from serious, hardcore, 1000 apm pros that played the game to its very limits. But for the average player it is a great game.
On the contrary, I have only one question for you: how many threads did we have here, all with the same subject: can't finish mission X campain Y because of bug...

I'll let you draw the conclusions yourself

Corelanis
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Corelanis » 15 Dec 2006, 14:06

You cant really compare anything made by Blizzard with anything not made by Blizzard. They crap chocolate chip cookies and pee milk. Really though blizzard had 2 more warcraft games worth of experiance and a competant staff cant beat that. Nival on the other hand had no heroes experiance and a staff of people im convinced lied on thier resume.

Khelavaster
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Khelavaster » 15 Dec 2006, 14:35

As far as I know nobody's asking for perfection.

But how about a strategy turn-based game that doesn't run like I had two instances of F.E.A.R. running on the background while performing a hard drive scan.

Or like I mentioned earlier, how about not having plainly visible mispelled text that could have been proofread by a 10 year old in the first pass.

So now Windows is Nival's scapegoat? Did Windows prevent them from including the ability of recruiting dwarven heroes in the dwarven taverns of the dwarven maps of their freakin' Dwarven expansion? Time to look for another spin, JJ.

Khel.

PS. WC3 had a level of polish on release HOMM V could only wet dream of. 1.2 after three years? Wow. I'd say it took a bit less for HOMM V to get to that.

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 15 Dec 2006, 15:56

So you are obviously no WC III player. Because if you was, you'd know that they started with patch 1.01
That went up to 1.06 (with some having a and b patches as well.
Then came 1.11.
And they went up straight over 1.19 to 1.20.
Note that patches there are further divided into those with characters.
For example the current patch is 1.20e (which means it is the fth or even 6th 1.20 patch. 1.19 had 5 versions as well and so on.
I cannot even count the number of patches.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 15 Dec 2006, 15:56

Khelavaster wrote: As far as I know nobody's asking for perfection.
I am.

ChrisAsmadi
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby ChrisAsmadi » 15 Dec 2006, 16:34

okrane wrote:World of Warcraft... they are IMO state of the art games.
Yeah, it's also full of elitists, grinding and far too much focus on high level content. But whatever.

As for perfection - you can't really get it within a game, because everyone is different, and thus, while it'd be perfect for one person, it might not for another. However, that is not to say that bugs and spelling errors should not be fixed - nigh everyone, save those who abuse them in Multiplayer games, would like that.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”